Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you know about polish basketball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you know about polish basketball?

I'm interested in your first thoughts. Write all you know without using the internet. Teams, players, coaches, achievments, events etc. Don't worry if you are wrong. Don't worry if you repeat something. I just want to know the view of polish basketball in other countries.

Sorry about starting that thread in the euroleague forum but it's all about the number of views. Maybe later it should be moved to the polish forum?

EDIT:

This is not only about the league. Players abroad, NT too.
    Last edited by greg; 06-25-2008, 04:47 PM.

Don't really know something about the polish league,
    it's not a famous league.. certinly not the one of the best in europe,

I know a good players came from their like Lyn Greer.

I know Wroclaw but that's because they were against Maccabi in the superleague in 2001.

Right now I think the popularity of the Polish league [low] is because of it's clubs fame in europe and maybe the leauge's level. Or maybe the league is in a high level and the Israeli newspapaer just doesn't give a shi!t.

But I hope poland will get better and better and we'll hear about that league in the future.

Comment

From the top of my head:

Players: Wójcik, Pluta, Trybański, Lampe, Dydek, Gortat, Pietras.
      Coaches: Kijewski
      Teams: Prokom, Anwil, Polpak, Wrocław, Turów.

The broad general idea of Polish basketball I have is that it evolved a great deal over the years and is now competitive.
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

Very good thread I also think what fans from other countrys think about ours bball

Comment

OK, here's my go.

In my view Polish basketball was always distinct from the rest of the ex-western bloc countries' basketball because it was not as heavily reliant on perimeter shooting.

Before Slask (and later Prokom) participated in EL, I knew of only Zielinski, Wojcik and Pluta (the former more about his goatees rather than his skills). I was an avid follower of the Korac and Cup Winner's (later Saporta) Cups so I remember teams like Stal Bobrek Bitom, Mazowszanka (spelling?) and Anwil. Later I was also well acquainted with Turow Zgorzelec (as the rest of IBN) given that its name was mentioned (even though it was not supposed not to) several times in the EL transfer thread. As of now I am aware of a few more teams such as Poplak and some other teams with names that resemble sounds of biological functions, such as for example Slupsk.

Now I also know of Ignierski (Cajasol), Lampe (since his Real and NBA days. Now he plays in Khimki, right?) and Gortat (Koln and Orlando).

What else? I know that the Polish NT has been doing pretty badly the last few years, ending up in the 2nd Division of FIBA.

As for successes I can remember that they had a very good Eurobasket in Spain in 1997 when they reached the QFs and gave (the undefeated in 6 or 7 games by then) Greece a good run for they money before they fell short of an upset. Prokom has reached the EL Top16 once and they have also reached the Champion's cup final, losing on the buzzer to home team Aris. Mazowszanka also reached the semis (I think) of the Korac cup in the mid-late 90's where they lost to Tofas (is that right?). As for Euro finals taking place in Poland I can now only remember the one between Maroussi and Elan Chalone for the Saporta Cup in 2000.
          The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

I must say I learned plenty about Polish basketball thanks to Philip
            Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
            Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur

This happened perhaps in a form of force-feeding, but it is nonetheless absolutely true
              The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
                I do this only for you guys.... I just want to show you everything about Polish bball - this is also strong league with good players

Comment

"Woma" comes to my mind promptly, and Philip of course, then endless stories about most peculiar things, like good bodies etc...

I remember Tomzjik and Wojcik (I know both are misspelled, sorry) as pretty solid players, and I recall the Wroclaws games against Efes quite vividly. Lynn Greer was also remarkable.

Gortat or Lampe have not made any deep impression on me, just ordinary players. And Prokom as a team too eager to achieve certain things in a too short time.
                  5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

This might sound weird but when I hear Polish and basketball (=lots of black players) the first thing that pops up is Olisadebe.

Originally posted by parso
                    Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
                    Originally posted by sseppel
                    it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
                    Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
                    Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

Originally posted by ArkadiosV2
                      This might sound weird but when I hear Polish and basketball (=lots of black players) the first thing that pops up is Olisadebe.
                      Yes, It's a bit weird, vodka should pop up first

Lampe have not made any deep impression on me, just ordinary players
                      Well, his start in NBA was not impresive, but last seasons in Chimki Moskwa give us some hope. Wojcik is geting old ...

Comment

When i think about Polish Basketball only one name comes to my mind and it's Margo Dydek who plays in the WNBA with the Connecticut Suns (I think she's around 7'2 which is like 218 cm).
                        I think she's the tallest active professional female basketball player in the world.

Comment

Honestly, before I started to follow the league after Gurovic signed with Prokom, I didn't know anything about Polish bb unless the same Prokom (seen some games in Euroleague against Italian teams) and also Wroclaw (just heard about it when played Uleb cup against Naples). Now I have to say that, thanks also to Polish posters, I know a bit more.
                          "It's hard to play against players like Milan Gurovic who is able to change any situation"
                          један је Гуровић Милан!
                          Хвала богу на Дарку и Милану!

Comment

Basketball in Poland is not very advanced yet. I am talking about NT level. Sure PL has nice teams like Trefl, with very good roster previous Euroleague season, but not good coach at start of the season. I think BBall in the future will be more popular in PL and maybe we see them in Eurobasket. Except that one which they host in 2009

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information