No announcement yet.

Ukrainian basketball 2008-09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lior Lifshitz left Odessa and signed for Hapoel Holon for the reminder of the season. He replaced Hanan Coleman.

Comment

Lior Lifshitz never played for Odessa
      Euroleague advanced stats and analytics

basket-stats.net

Comment

Ok. I will try find time for ukrainian championships overview.

UBL. 20.11.2008

Goverla - Ferro 76:60
        Goverla: Kinloch 13, Lebedev 13, Sparks 10
        Ferro: Yakovlev 14, Chemyakin 14

Politechnika - Dnipro 94:82
        Politechnika: Gurtovoy 22, Kuzmin 13, Kudryavtsev 12
        Dnipro: Anderson 21, Baverly 17, Khizhnyak 14

basket-stats.net

Comment

Accordin eurobasket.lt, Laimonas Kisielius moves to Ferro Zaporozhye.

Comment

Substitution for Denis Yakovlev that mooved to Rimantas Grigas club Budivelnik week ago

basket-stats.net

Comment

I just found out that Grigas took the Budyvelnik coaching job. what happened to Bill magarity?
              When does that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by barbe rouge View Post
                I just found out that Grigas took the Budyvelnik coaching job. what happened to Bill magarity?
                When does that happen?
                Grigas signed with Budyvelnik in the end of October and changed magarity then. Don't remember the reasons why Magarity and Budyvelnik parted ways, but IMO club's owners wasn't satisfied with results and team's performance. When Grigas came, he made some serious changes in roster, tactics and team came to the wining way.

Comment

Ukrainian Cup 1/2 finals, now here video:

basket-stats.net

Comment

Saltovets Given Rare Chance To Shine For Kyiv

Oleg Saltovets has never made it to the headlines.

Seldom has his name even been mentioned in game reports.

The 2.02m forward, quite simply, has never played much unless his team had a good lead or was losing badly.

Yet Saltovets, who was never a part of the national team, has been a part of the BC Kyiv organization for almost a decade - the only Ukrainian player in recent years that has stayed with one team for so long.

While the 31-year-old isn't the most skilful, he is known by people at Kyiv as one of the hardest working individuals one can find in the business.

The club's decision to release six imports recently opened the door for Saltovets to prove his worth, and his 10 points, five rebounds and three steals in Kyiv's unexpected 76-68 win at Khimik Yuzhny showed that he's ready to make the most of his opportunity.

The 31-year-old is now getting ready to take part in the EuroChallenge.

His presence in the paint will definitely be noticed by the Oldenburg big men on Tuesday night.

He spoke ahead of that game to Oleksiy Naumov for FIBA Europe.

FIBA Europe: Oleg, your team is 2-1 after the first round of EuroChallenge, but you lost six players. What do you think your chances of advancing into the next stage are?

Saltovets: I can't really estimate. Everybody expects us to exit the tournament after this stage, but we can surprise any team as well like we surprised Yuzhny last week. We have only five players left who are ready to play at this level and it's not enough, we need at least seven. But still, we'll do all we can - no point to play without expecting to win.

FIBA Europe: But this situation will affect your playing time, will give you a chance to prove something. Aren't you happy?

Saltovets: I am happy, but at the same time I understand that the highest goals that had been set at the start of the season will be very difficult to achieve. I realize that the coach will look at me and use me differently from now on. Your mistakes or your success is perceived by him way differently when he lets you replace someone for a couple of minutes and when he actually expects you to help the team win and puts you as a starter. It gives you a lot more confidence and makes you more relaxed when you play.

FIBA Europe: You've been on the team for almost night years. Do you feel anything special about this?

Saltovets: Not really. I only thing about doing my job - working hard at practices and proving to every new coach he needs me. Maybe when I retire I will think about how many years I gave to a club. It might even feel good that you spent your entire professional career on one team. But it's too early for that now.

FIBA Europe: How did this season (before the imports left) compare to the rest in terms of your playing time?

Saltovets: It was sure not the worst one, but to tell you I was happy with how much I was playing would be a lie. I'd played 20 to 25 minutes during pre-season and was thinking this was how it would be, but the imports came and I realized nobody was going to let me play that much, so I once again had to fight for every minute and prove to the coach I deserved to be on the court.

FIBA Europe: Having spent so much time on the team, do you have a special authority?

Saltovets: I don't think so. To have an authority not only in the locker room or practices but also during the games you have to play a lot. I think when you don't play you don't have the moral right to teach those who are on the court.

FIBA Europe: But one of the reasons you've been with the team so long is because you give such a hard time to the team's centers during practices.

Saltovets: I agree. I work so hard during the practices and I give it all I've got and the coaches see that. Teammates call me Steel. Some ask coaches not to let me guard them. So the way I play during the practices is very close to what my teammates will feel during the real games and this is very beneficial for the team.

FIBA Europe: Do you feel sorry you are not endowed with a couple of extra centimeters?

Saltovets: Hard to tell... Considering the fact I started to play basketball at the age of 18, I feel lucky I made it all the way. There were kids that had been playing for 10 years at that point and now nobody knows where they are. I can't say I am a very skilled player or that I am a deadly shooter. There are people who are much better at these aspects. But what I can tell for sure is that my hard work and professionalism compensate for the lack of height. Of course, had I had five to six more centimeters, I probably would be playing at a totally different level.

FIBA Europe: You are so strong. Do you think there is any one physically stronger than you in the Superleague?

Saltovets: Not sure. But what I am sure of is that whoever I guard knows who he's playing against and realizes how much he'll be shaken up every time he is on offense.

FIBA Europe: What's the highlight of your career in Kyiv?

Saltovets: Definitely the 2004-05 season when we won the Championship in Mariupol and came second in the FIBA Europe League, even though I missed most of the season due to an injury.
                    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

• UKR – Thomas, Khimik ready for three-time defending champions Azovmash in Ukraine

YUZHNY (Superleague) - John Thomas hit the heights as a college basketball player with the Minnesota Golden Gophers by leading the team into the NCAA Final Four and he also experienced the high of being a first-round draft pick in the NBA.

The 33-year-old power forward/center, who spent time with the Boston Celtics and Toronto Raptors, ended up having a short stay as a professional in North America and eventually embarked on a career abroad.

Living outside the United States is something that Thomas would have been used to because his father played overseas as well, spending one year in Finland and six in Turkey.

Known for his defense and rebounding, Thomas played in Syria this season before joining Khimik Yuzhny in Ukraine’s top flight on March 28 with just two games left in the regular season.

Averaging 15.8 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.8 steals in the Ukraine Superleague post-season, he helped Khimik beat Mykolaiv 3-1 in their first-round play-off series.

Next up for Khimik is a semi-final against three-time defending champions Azovmash, with the best-of-five showdown tipping off on Sunday in Mariupol.

Thomas spoke to Oleksiy Naumov for FIBA.com.

FIBA: John, you came into this league at the end of the season. How does a player jell with the team in such a short space of time as you have?

Thomas: I think it says something about my experience to be able to come in and fit in the team. The team did a good job of sort of establishing my role and that was primarily to be the inside presence. The team and the coaches have been really helpful trying to include me into the system right away so it’s been a positive experience so far.

FIBA: You had a long break between the regular season and the play-offs. Can you say that you are a 100% part of the team now?

Thomas: Yeah, I can. I would still like to get more repetitions – simply because the more you practice with the players, the more you can understand the strengths and weaknesses.

FIBA: You dominated against Mykolaiv in the first two games of the series (18 points, 16 rebounds and 16pts, 9rbs), but your production decreased in the third and fourth games. Why was that?

Thomas: They played an aggressive zone. They didn’t play too much zone here at home (Yuzhny) and I was actually surprised in the second game when they came out and played man-to-man and I felt if I could get the ball it would be pretty tough to stop me with that type of defense. And then in Mykolaiv, I think what happened was they sort of took us out of our flow. They made it difficult for me to get the ball and it also makes it tough to rebound because you got three guys around you. And on top of that they were at home, they were excited, they were hitting shots and that’s what playoff basketball is about.

FIBA: So what happened in the fourth quarter of the fourth game?

Thomas: I think what happened was we figured out their zone. We started playing a top pick and roll with (Nenad) Canak and (Wykeen) Kelly, forcing a mismatch. That way once Kelly got into the lane, he could either dump it off to me or kick it out to the wing. And on top of that, we figured out couple of their plays on offense, which allowed us to make some stops defensively.

FIBA: What did you know about Yuzhny or Ukraine before your arrival?

Thomas: Nothing… I heard the gym was fantastic, but I didn’t expect this. I played in Spain and in a lot of arenas in the ACB and to me this gym is one of the most outstanding in Europe that I’ve seen, considering how small the town is.

FIBA: Have you learned anything new about Ukraine?

Thomas: Not too much. It’s been a blur. It’s been a lot of practicing and a lot of traveling for the games. I haven’t really had the opportunity because my mind has been focused on winning these play-off games.

FIBA: What about the league?

Thomas: I knew the teams here are strong because Khalid El Amin is from my hometown and we played together a lot in the summer time. And I had a couple of other friends that had been in and out of the league so I knew it was strong. I think the top four teams in the league are the right top four teams.

FIBA: What’s the key for Khimik to be successful against Azovmash?

Thomas: We are heading there to try to steal a game because anytime you go to someone else’s home court, if you can steal a game that means you are right now in a driver’s seat. So if we can do that and show them from the start that we can play our best basketball, then it should be a fun series.

FIBA: Khimik’s always been the third-place team in this league. Do you expect to break this tradition?

Thomas: That’s one thing they said to me when I came in that they never really had anybody who they could throw the ball to down low and score, so I hope to be a part of helping the team get out of the third place. Once they start throwing a zone on me, we can start figuring it out and finding ways for my teammates to score some easy baskets. But the key for us will be on the defensive end. If we can stop players from scoring we’ll have a chance to make history in becoming one of those championship teams.
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

• Guys, where is Slava Medvedenko now? I can,t find any information about him. Would is he going to renewal basketball career or not? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by vaslover View Post
                          Guys, where is Slava Medvedenko now? I can,t find any information about him. Would is he going to renewal basketball career or not? Thanks
                          Last news I heard two years ago was that he was planning to retire due to health problems, don't know what really happened next.
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

• Shemosyuk Keeps Fingers Crossed For Ukraine Selection

Illya Shemosyuk is hoping to earn a spot in Ukraine's national team following a strong season with Pulsar Rivne.

The club finished seventh in Ukraine's Superleague to reach the play-offs but then lost to BC Kyiv 3-1 in the first round.

They then came back from a 2-0 deficit to beat BC Potava in the classification round that determines places five through eight.

Shemosyuk, 24, played in 26 regular season games, averaging 9.5 points (compared to 7.1 in 13 games in 2007-08).

He raised last season's 21% shooting from three-point range to 36% and also enjoyed increases in assists (2.8 v 1.5) and rebounds (3.0 v 2.4).

However, turnovers have been a problem. He finished second in the league with an average of 3.5 per contest.

Shemosyuk is averaging 11.4 points in the play-offs.

He gave this interview to Oleksiy Naumov for FIBA Europe.

FIBA Europe: Many players will start their holidays in two weeks when the season is over, but your name appeared on the list of the senior national team candidates and you'll be pretty busy trying to make it. What did you feel when you learned about the invitation from coach Valentyn Melnychuk?

Shemosyuk: It's an honor to be invited. It feels great and I am curios to join the squad and immerse into the atmosphere. I think this is the reward for the hard work during the season and it tells me I've been moving in the right direction.

FIBA Europe: Did you think about how you are going to prove you deserve to be one of the players that will try to keep our team in the Division A?

Shemosyuk: We are first heading to the University games with basically our main team. There we have to prove we are a strong basketball nation and there we all will have a chance to make a statement. The competition will be very tough and the very best players will be chosen, so I'm going to do all it takes to make it through the final cut.

FIBA Europe: As for the play-offs, congratulations, Illya, on advancing past Poltava. You were down 2-0 and came back to beat them 3-2. What allowed you to do that?

Shemosyuk: Thank you. After we were down 2-0 against BC Kyiv in the quarter-finals and won Game 3 three, we failed to respond to Kyiv's aggressive defense in Game 4 and lost. We made the necessary adjustments, figured out the mistakes we'd made, which allowed us to tie the series at home and head to Poltava for the decider.

FIBA Europe: You scored the most important points in the pivotal Game 3, sparking a run that determined the outcome of the contest. You also drained two three-pointers when Pulsar was down by five down the stretch of the final match. Were the plays designed like that or you improvised?

Shemosyuk: No, that wasn't planned. We were just running the ball and I was open and felt the confidence and buried the shots.

FIBA Europe: Regardless of how you finish the season, you can already look back and reflect on it. How does this one compare to the previous seasons?

Shemosyuk: Well, you get more and more experienced with every season, but this one was pivotal in my career. I got a lot more mature and now play with more confidence and a lot more minutes. My teammates trust me. What I need focus on is my turnovers. All the other aspects of my game are fine, but the turnovers are killing me.

FIBA Europe: But why are you making so many? Your dribbling skills are great and you are a good passer.

Shemosyuk: It's a hard question. I guess I need to get smarter as a player and on a lot of occasions I need to keep it cool. Sometimes I hold the ball too long up until there's not much to do with it. Plus my skills are not perfect - I suppose that's what leads to so many turnovers.

FIBA Europe: How are you trying to improve the skills?

Shemosyuk: I always stay after practices and work extra time. Try to improve my dribbling and shooting. I've been trying to focus more on my shot lately and this has started to pay off. I understand that the mistakes I make in the game will not just disappear. I work very, very hard on trying to eliminate them.
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

• Originally posted by vaslover View Post
                              Guys, where is Slava Medvedenko now? I can,t find any information about him. Would is he going to renewal basketball career or not? Thanks

He's now child coach in Kiev. Also he has buisness in Los-Angeles.

basket-stats.net

Comment

• what about pj tucker?
                                is he staying? i heard that bc ceo said that maccabi ta already offered him a contract...is it true?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information