Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ukrainian basketball 2008-09

Guys, where is Slava Medvedenko now? I can,t find any information about him. Would is he going to renewal basketball career or not? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vaslover View Post
    Guys, where is Slava Medvedenko now? I can,t find any information about him. Would is he going to renewal basketball career or not? Thanks
    Last news I heard two years ago was that he was planning to retire due to health problems, don't know what really happened next.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Shemosyuk Keeps Fingers Crossed For Ukraine Selection

Illya Shemosyuk is hoping to earn a spot in Ukraine's national team following a strong season with Pulsar Rivne.

The club finished seventh in Ukraine's Superleague to reach the play-offs but then lost to BC Kyiv 3-1 in the first round.

They then came back from a 2-0 deficit to beat BC Potava in the classification round that determines places five through eight.

Shemosyuk, 24, played in 26 regular season games, averaging 9.5 points (compared to 7.1 in 13 games in 2007-08).

He raised last season's 21% shooting from three-point range to 36% and also enjoyed increases in assists (2.8 v 1.5) and rebounds (3.0 v 2.4).

However, turnovers have been a problem. He finished second in the league with an average of 3.5 per contest.

Shemosyuk is averaging 11.4 points in the play-offs.

He gave this interview to Oleksiy Naumov for FIBA Europe.

FIBA Europe: Many players will start their holidays in two weeks when the season is over, but your name appeared on the list of the senior national team candidates and you'll be pretty busy trying to make it. What did you feel when you learned about the invitation from coach Valentyn Melnychuk?

Shemosyuk: It's an honor to be invited. It feels great and I am curios to join the squad and immerse into the atmosphere. I think this is the reward for the hard work during the season and it tells me I've been moving in the right direction.

FIBA Europe: Did you think about how you are going to prove you deserve to be one of the players that will try to keep our team in the Division A?

Shemosyuk: We are first heading to the University games with basically our main team. There we have to prove we are a strong basketball nation and there we all will have a chance to make a statement. The competition will be very tough and the very best players will be chosen, so I'm going to do all it takes to make it through the final cut.

FIBA Europe: As for the play-offs, congratulations, Illya, on advancing past Poltava. You were down 2-0 and came back to beat them 3-2. What allowed you to do that?

Shemosyuk: Thank you. After we were down 2-0 against BC Kyiv in the quarter-finals and won Game 3 three, we failed to respond to Kyiv's aggressive defense in Game 4 and lost. We made the necessary adjustments, figured out the mistakes we'd made, which allowed us to tie the series at home and head to Poltava for the decider.

FIBA Europe: You scored the most important points in the pivotal Game 3, sparking a run that determined the outcome of the contest. You also drained two three-pointers when Pulsar was down by five down the stretch of the final match. Were the plays designed like that or you improvised?

Shemosyuk: No, that wasn't planned. We were just running the ball and I was open and felt the confidence and buried the shots.

FIBA Europe: Regardless of how you finish the season, you can already look back and reflect on it. How does this one compare to the previous seasons?

Shemosyuk: Well, you get more and more experienced with every season, but this one was pivotal in my career. I got a lot more mature and now play with more confidence and a lot more minutes. My teammates trust me. What I need focus on is my turnovers. All the other aspects of my game are fine, but the turnovers are killing me.

FIBA Europe: But why are you making so many? Your dribbling skills are great and you are a good passer.

Shemosyuk: It's a hard question. I guess I need to get smarter as a player and on a lot of occasions I need to keep it cool. Sometimes I hold the ball too long up until there's not much to do with it. Plus my skills are not perfect - I suppose that's what leads to so many turnovers.

FIBA Europe: How are you trying to improve the skills?

Shemosyuk: I always stay after practices and work extra time. Try to improve my dribbling and shooting. I've been trying to focus more on my shot lately and this has started to pay off. I understand that the mistakes I make in the game will not just disappear. I work very, very hard on trying to eliminate them.
    http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_9ZEg3...frontpage.html
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by vaslover View Post

He's now child coach in Kiev. Also he has buisness in Los-Angeles.

what about pj tucker?
    is he staying? i heard that bc ceo said that maccabi ta already offered him a contract...is it true?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456