Don Nelson critical of Cuban's comments on Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robbe
    But that only determines how frequently the conflict occurs. The whole theatre reoccurs every summer a tournament takes place. Ilgauskas for example never asked to play for Lithuania. Now he does it once, and there is mayhem.
    Ilgauskas is an unusual case because of his apparent contract/insurance situations. There will always be issues for players with specific injury concerns, but the "player X needs a rest" issue will be gone. I guess we'll have to disagree here though.

So if I read it correctly, some teams will play all four years, some will play three? Really, I think that won’t offer any solutions.
    No one will have to play all four years--teams that don't make the WC sit out year 2, and teams that make the WC sit out year 3.

They do? That would be a wonderful rule for FIBA, in my opinion. But Cuban is probably against it.
    FIBA can't force the NBA teams to do anything because the NBA isn't affiliated with FIBA...
    Originally posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Originally posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX
      FIBA can't force the NBA teams to do anything because the NBA isn't affiliated with FIBA...
      ..unless FIBA and NBA has agreement which discusses such issues
      The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

I agree 100% with mr. Don Nelson. Mark Cuban he has to left the players make their dream playing in the olimpics or world cups and dont be so stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by JGX
          Cuban isn't talking about the athletes making money, he's talking about the Olympics and FIBA making money while he and the players are assuming all the risk.
          come on, now you're mind reading? NBA makes much more from Ilgauskas in a week thant FIBA could ever make from him playing In the Olympic Games (imho). although seriously speaking, even such comparisons to me look absurd...

and regarding USA in the Olympics (coz that's what's Cuban is talking about, isn't he?): NBA is promoting itself and the returns are incomparable, imho. NBA Dream Team in Olympics (winning) is huge for NBA. Just as entire states (like Lithuania) make their name on those performances, NBA does the same, but the financial benefit they recieve is incomparable. I would even go as far as saying that if it wasn't for the dream team that won the games in 1992, NBA would be enjoying MUCH smaller annual incomes than it is now and names like Magic or Jordan (think sales) would be less widely known than they are now. furthermore, if players like Yao (not Ilgauskas, forget him, LIthuanian market is completely nonexistant for NBA) do not represent their country, money is lost. and I mean HUGE money. I bett NBA would turn a blind eye on a lot of things just to see Yao in the Games this summer. That's what Cuban could have been talking about.
          stop russia

Comment

Originally posted by kestas
            come on, now you're mind reading? NBA makes much more from Ilgauskas in a week thant FIBA could ever make from him playing In the Olympic Games (imho). although seriously speaking, even such comparisons to me look absurd...
            I thought it was pretty clear what he was saying. And the NBA is the one paying Z's salary...

and regarding USA in the Olympics (coz that's what's Cuban is talking about, isn't he?): NBA is promoting itself and the returns are incomparable, imho.
            Cuban thinks that participating the Olympics and FIBA competitions has been negative for the NBA--he had a long post about this on his blog a few years ago. I don't really agree with him there, but while it certainly raises the international profile of the league, it hasn't really been a positive within the US, which is still the major market for the league.

In any case, the Olympics ought to be about the best athletes, and in basketball that certainly includes NBA players.
            refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

It still all starts and ends with priorities and which side you are on.

One could easily say that NBA should shorten their schedule in order to make more space for the FIBA tournaments and Olympics. That, of course, will never happen.

NBA wants FIBA to shorten its schedule and make it more NBA friendly. That might happen, because we all know where the money is. But that doesn't make it right. It's just a different position. A position which values NBA higher than the international tournaments.

Ilgauskas is an unusual case because of his apparent contract/insurance situations. There will always be issues for players with specific injury concerns, but the "player X needs a rest" issue will be gone. I guess we'll have to disagree here though.
              I really disagree. Imo, for a player who comes off a 82+X games NBA-season, this argument will always stand.

Comment

Cuban needs to shut up.... he is the one who has money always in mind...look whos talking..haha..

Comment

I really disagree. Imo, for a player who comes off a 82+X games NBA-season, this argument will always stand.
                  i doubt NBA players (stars especially) work any more than Europeans do. In fact, I think they spend less time in the gym (games and training combined). sure, psychologically their year is more intense (more games, although the importance of most of them is rather low..), but physically.. doubt it. therefore all the rest any player needs, imho, is psychological. in other words, if the player looses all interest in basketball after a tough season, his/her good shape won't help the player to do well in the international competitions.
                  stop russia

Comment

It seems that the main argument here is where is all the money and NBA is currently paying well. BUT, look at the American economy and the falling greenback and compare this now to the Euro.

I actually spent the last week in the US and found it nice and cheap compared with Europe so I guess my point here is that will the NBA be sustainable in the future as sooner or later Euroleague will be paying its players better.

Comment

Well, Gelabale, one or two months after his first season in NBA started, told in an interview that training was already over by that time... He told it was harder in Real Madrid. Anyway, if a guy doesn't want to go, he won't, and will find an excuse.
                      It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Yesyesyesyes. I wasn't saying that NBA is harder or more tiring. We all heard about the "practice" there, and how it is in Europe. But still "82 games + playoffs" is a nice excuse for any player (as is 60+ in Europe of course).

Comment

Originally posted by JGX
                          In any case, soccer teams release players for international competition because FIFA rules require them to, not because they like to.
                          The situation of Barca and the German clubs versus the Argentine and Brazilian players for Olympics reinforces this statement...the clubs are happy to keep their players out of international competition when they feel the rules don't require their release.

Comment

There is no question here; players should play for the NT regardless. However, if I am an owner of an NBA team for example, paying him $20 million per year it would be only fair if USA bb wants this player with the NT to pay for a big insurance if something goes wrong.
                            I also strongly agree the players to have one season every 4 free. It can be done if FIBA change the regional ch from 2 to every 4 years. Then it can be:
                            1st year: Olympics
                            2nd year: Free
                            3rd year: WC
                            4th year: Reg Ch
                            The additional qualifying tournaments can be played few weeks before the games just like in Athens this year. It's a good prep for the teams.
                            sigpic
                            GERA ELLADARA MOU!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by g.g
                              There is no question here; players should play for the NT regardless. However, if I am an owner of an NBA team for example, paying him $20 million per year it would be only fair if USA bb wants this player with the NT to pay for a big insurance if something goes wrong.
                              I also strongly agree the players to have one season every 4 free. It can be done if FIBA change the regional ch from 2 to every 4 years. Then it can be:
                              1st year: Olympics
                              2nd year: Free
                              3rd year: WC
                              4th year: Reg Ch
                              The additional qualifying tournaments can be played few weeks before the games just like in Athens this year. It's a good prep for the teams.
                              ...or not at all,as t used to be the last years

Comment

I saw somebody bring this up, but what is the general consensus on FIBA making the Olympics something like a U-22 or amateur event and promoting the World Championship as the sole major competition?

Year 1:Regional tournaments, subsequent qualifier
                                Year 2:Off
                                Year 3: Diamond Ball, limited exhibtion schedule
                                Year 4:World Championships

Increased player participation, more meaningful world championship.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information