Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don Nelson critical of Cuban's comments on Olympics

It still all starts and ends with priorities and which side you are on.

One could easily say that NBA should shorten their schedule in order to make more space for the FIBA tournaments and Olympics. That, of course, will never happen.

NBA wants FIBA to shorten its schedule and make it more NBA friendly. That might happen, because we all know where the money is. But that doesn't make it right. It's just a different position. A position which values NBA higher than the international tournaments.

Ilgauskas is an unusual case because of his apparent contract/insurance situations. There will always be issues for players with specific injury concerns, but the "player X needs a rest" issue will be gone. I guess we'll have to disagree here though.
    I really disagree. Imo, for a player who comes off a 82+X games NBA-season, this argument will always stand.

Cuban needs to shut up.... he is the one who has money always in mind...look whos talking..haha..

Quote Originally Posted by robbe
    I really disagree. Imo, for a player who comes off a 82+X games NBA-season, this argument will always stand.
    i doubt NBA players (stars especially) work any more than Europeans do. In fact, I think they spend less time in the gym (games and training combined). sure, psychologically their year is more intense (more games, although the importance of most of them is rather low..), but physically.. doubt it. therefore all the rest any player needs, imho, is psychological. in other words, if the player looses all interest in basketball after a tough season, his/her good shape won't help the player to do well in the international competitions.
    stop russia

It seems that the main argument here is where is all the money and NBA is currently paying well. BUT, look at the American economy and the falling greenback and compare this now to the Euro.

I actually spent the last week in the US and found it nice and cheap compared with Europe so I guess my point here is that will the NBA be sustainable in the future as sooner or later Euroleague will be paying its players better.

Quote Originally Posted by robbe
    Well, Gelabale, one or two months after his first season in NBA started, told in an interview that training was already over by that time... He told it was harder in Real Madrid. Anyway, if a guy doesn't want to go, he won't, and will find an excuse.
    It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Yesyesyesyes. I wasn't saying that NBA is harder or more tiring. We all heard about the "practice" there, and how it is in Europe. But still "82 games + playoffs" is a nice excuse for any player (as is 60+ in Europe of course).

Quote Originally Posted by JGX
    In any case, soccer teams release players for international competition because FIFA rules require them to, not because they like to.
    The situation of Barca and the German clubs versus the Argentine and Brazilian players for Olympics reinforces this statement...the clubs are happy to keep their players out of international competition when they feel the rules don't require their release.

There is no question here; players should play for the NT regardless. However, if I am an owner of an NBA team for example, paying him $20 million per year it would be only fair if USA bb wants this player with the NT to pay for a big insurance if something goes wrong.
    I also strongly agree the players to have one season every 4 free. It can be done if FIBA change the regional ch from 2 to every 4 years. Then it can be:
    1st year: Olympics
    2nd year: Free
    3rd year: WC
    4th year: Reg Ch
    The additional qualifying tournaments can be played few weeks before the games just like in Athens this year. It's a good prep for the teams.

Quote Originally Posted by g.g
    There is no question here; players should play for the NT regardless. However, if I am an owner of an NBA team for example, paying him $20 million per year it would be only fair if USA bb wants this player with the NT to pay for a big insurance if something goes wrong.
    I also strongly agree the players to have one season every 4 free. It can be done if FIBA change the regional ch from 2 to every 4 years. Then it can be:
    1st year: Olympics
    2nd year: Free
    3rd year: WC
    4th year: Reg Ch
    The additional qualifying tournaments can be played few weeks before the games just like in Athens this year. It's a good prep for the teams.
    ...or not at all,as t used to be the last years

I saw somebody bring this up, but what is the general consensus on FIBA making the Olympics something like a U-22 or amateur event and promoting the World Championship as the sole major competition?

Year 1:Regional tournaments, subsequent qualifier
    Year 2:Off
    Year 3: Diamond Ball, limited exhibtion schedule
    Year 4:World Championships

Increased player participation, more meaningful world championship.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/...ent_canad.html

When I put in a transfer request to leave Dundee United in 2001, I could have gone to a number of good clubs in England. A few eyebrows were raised when I signed for unfashionable Wigan, then in the second division, two levels below the Premier League. You want to know one of the reasons I signed for them?

Wigan were the only club - the ONLY club - who didn't insist that I retire from international football if I signed for them. Every other club that I spoke to wanted an agreement in place that at the age of 27, while I was captaining my country, that I would never play for Canada again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Default they dont get along

I think nellie just won a big settlement from Cuban

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12