Italian NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by damelo View Post
    Wow, and we don't even have started to work on NT.
    I believe Italy wants to do something in the next Euro-Championship after their dismal performances for the last few years and the best thing to do is start preparing from now.

Comment

It would be interesting to see our "real" NT, I mean with the full roster available. I would really love to see a team like this:

POINT GUARDS
      Giuseppe Poeta (1985) - Teramo
      Luca Vitali (1986) - Milano
      Daniel Hackett (1987) - USC (NCAA)

SHOOTING GUARDS
      Marco Belinelli (1986) - Golden State Warriors
      Marco Mordente (1978) - Milano

SMALL FORWARDS
      Danilo Gallinari (1988) - New York Knicks
      Matteo Soragna (1975) - Treviso
      Luigi Datome (1987) - Roma

POWER FORWARDS
      Stefano Mancinelli (1983) - Fortitudo Bologna
      Angelo Gigli (1983) - Roma

CENTERS
      Andrea Bargnani (1985) - Toronto Raptors
      Richard Mason Rocca (1977) - Milano

Comment

Originally posted by special-thanks-2 View Post
        It would be interesting to see our "real" NT, I mean with the full roster available. I would really love to see a team like this:

POINT GUARDS
        Giuseppe Poeta (1985) - Teramo
        Luca Vitali (1986) - Milano
        Daniel Hackett (1987) - USC (NCAA)

SHOOTING GUARDS
        Marco Belinelli (1986) - Golden State Warriors
        Marco Mordente (1978) - Milano

SMALL FORWARDS
        Danilo Gallinari (1988) - New York Knicks
        Matteo Soragna (1975) - Treviso
        Luigi Datome (1987) - Roma

POWER FORWARDS
        Stefano Mancinelli (1983) - Fortitudo Bologna
        Angelo Gigli (1983) - Roma

CENTERS
        Andrea Bargnani (1985) - Toronto Raptors
        Richard Mason Rocca (1977) - Milano
        Yeah there are many players that were not mentioned but this NT that Recalcati has called up is just for selecting the best potential young players (below 22 and excluding the NBA players). I'm sure those names that were posted won't be the final roster of the Italian NT.

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
          Yeah there are many players that were not mentioned but this NT that Recalcati has called up is just for selecting the best potential young players (below 22 and excluding the NBA players). I'm sure those names that were posted won't be the final roster of the Italian NT.
          Yes, I know. Among them actually the only one who really belongs to the NT is Poeta, who's having a superb season so far. A fast PG, who loves getting into the lane, he can score and draws lots of fouls. As for the others, maybe they'll get a chance sooner or later, but they need to develop. A huge disappointment is Aradori who was expected to have a breakout season in a small team like Biella but he's struggling a lot (2.8 ppg in 11.7 mins).

Comment

ITA – Meneghin ready for huge challenge as Italy’s new basketball supremo

ROMA (FIP) - No player stood taller in Italian hoops for nearly three decades than the country’s newly elected basketball federation (FIP) president Dino Meneghin.

A towering 2.06m, Meneghin was the ultimate leader whose mere presence inspired teammates and captured the imagination of Italy as he helped drive the national team to some of its finest moments.

Born in 1950, he made his debut for the Azzurri at 16 and went on to play 271 times for his country with his last appearance as a 44-year-old.

He thrived on challenges as a player, and now he faces a huge one off the court as the FIP supremo.

Meneghin, who had served commissioner of the FIP since September following the resignation of Fausto Maifredi as FIP president, gave this exclusive interview to FIBA.com.

FIBA: Dino, several months ago you said you didn't have the time required to be president of the Italian Basketball Federation. What made you change your mind?

Meneghin: People's insistence that I was the right man for the job. My will is to do something important for Italian basketball. I have always been a man of the court, before a coach or a general manager of clubs in Italy or the national team. I am 59 years old and I believe the time had come to put my experience, my knowledge and willingness to the service of the Italian basketball movement. Despite knowing that it will be a challenge with my other job (he runs an events and public relations company Sicom Eventi) I know that with sacrifice and will, I can do it. I will not be alone in the task of running the federation as I will have counselors that will be placed in the right positions, people who want to work hard and are competent. Once that happens, my job will be made easier.

FIBA: What is the state of Italian basketball right now and can we be optimistic?

Meneghin: I am an optimist by nature, especially when facing adversity. In difficult times you need to work hard and think positive. With regards to the national team, we have good players but we are not able to get the results at international level. Our immediate hope is to qualify for the EuroBasket this summer and from then on, understand our value. With regards to our clubs, we have good teams and players but yet again we are missing important results at international level. The will to get achievements is there from everyone but we know that we face important challenges from Spain, Greece, Russia, while other eastern (European) countries are finding the resources to be competitive at the maximum level. The task of our clubs is not easy when you are competing with strong clubs that have the revenue to sign top players. We have higher taxes from the state placed on our clubs, hence, when a player is given the same offer by two clubs, a player will choose to go to Spain or Russia rather than come to Italy because we pay more taxes. Considering the financial crisis that the world is facing, it makes it harder to find sponsors and that also makes the clubs' job harder. In terms of the youth system we have a lot of work to do. We need to be more involved with schools, find youngsters and talent to bring closer to basketball. It's a huge task that we all must focus on, not only the federation but also all the basketball clubs.

FIBA: You are a living legend in Italy. Does your name make the job easier?

Meneghin: I can put the face, even if it's an ugly one! But the will and the capacity is there. The fact is that we need to get more support from the media. Public television like RAI and Mediaset don't give us much contribution in terms of broadcasting news, games and results. This diminishes our sport, even if it's strong, because in the eyes of some, it seems as it doesn't exist.

FIBA: Italy's national team has struggled since 2004. What has been the reason for this and are you convinced that the national team can have a starring role in the near future?

Meneghin: My hope is that we will. We have great players but we have not gotten results sometimes due to injuries, other times we haven't played well and that has been the merit of our rivals. I am convinced of the strength of our basketball but we must show this on the court. I think we just need a good result to confirm the good work done by everyone. We are well aware that the competitiveness has notably increased, that our teams need to be extremely competitive and arrive to the top tournaments in the best form possible. We have a problem in that our tournament is very long but the fact that it is a hard one means that our players are very active. Sometimes they arrive in the summer rather tired and they are not able to give what they really could. I also believe we have been unlucky at crucial times in not having certain players available through injury and that is crucial.

FIBA: It is strange that powerful teams like France and Italy will have to face each other for the only remaining place in the EuroBasket. How difficult is the Additional Round going to be for Italy?

Meneghin: This is a Russian roulette, in the sense that we cannot afford to make a mistake. To see two historically strong teams, full of good players having to come up against each other for one spot is hard. But this goes to prove the high standard of basketball in Europe. There are no longer any easy games, they are all difficult. Therefore, you need all your players in good shape. For us, the Additional Qualifying Round against France will be extremely challenging and very difficult. I cannot deny that we are rather worried because in a few days you play for everything. It's a challenging calendar with road games, too, and fatigue will come into it. That is why the players will need the right mentality to understand how difficult our task will be and to be fully focused and in top physical form.

FIBA: Will Italy coach Carlo Recalcati remain in charge of the national team even if the Azzurri fail to qualify for the EuroBasket?

Meneghin: Charley Recalcati has a contract until September. After that, I will sit down with him and understand what his intentions are based on the results and whether his wish is to continue to guide the national team. If that is the case, we will renew his contract. Otherwise, we will go for someone else. But until then, he is not under discussion. He has all my trust and support.

FIBA: With the focus placed on the Additional Qualifying Round, you must be following Italy's American-based players closely. What can you tell us about the improvements made by NBA trio Andrea Bargnani, Marco Belinelli and Danilo Gallinari as well as University of Southern California point guard Daniel Hackett?

Meneghin: Marco has shown a lot of character. He proved that he wanted more playing minutes and when given the chance, he has shown what he can do in terms of defense, rebounds. He has grown in personality. As for Andrea, he still has ups and downs and needs to find continuity but in certain games he has proved important for his team. Danilo is still recovering from a back injury but in the games he has played he has shown potential. Our hope is that he improves his physical condition and gets better primarily for New York and then for the national team. As for Daniel Hackett, he is doing very well and he could be useful for us in the Additional Qualifying Round.

FIBA: Will we see Italy's NBA players in action at the Additional Qualifying Round and if successful, at the EuroBasket?

Meneghin: This is a question mark. I hope that the players and the clubs they play for will allow them to come and play with the national team just as they have done in the past. Other players like Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker and Pau Gasol have done this for their respective national teams. While being aware that their future in the NBA is important to them, I believe it's also crucial for them to play in the national team. If they did this, it would set a great example for the other players that play in Italy but especially, for the young players because it would inspire them as they look up to them. Regardless of the NBA or the Lega A, the most important team is the national team. That was the case for me, because it is the team of the whole of Italy. I can play and win with Milano 30 league titles and 20 Euroleagues and then the Milano fans will be happy. But if I win a medal at the Olympics, at a EuroBasket or a World Championship, I would make 50 million Italians happy and that is somewhat different.

FIBA: Dino, I know you followed Italy women's Additional Round with a lot of expectation. How proud are you of Giampiero Ticchi's women who last month qualified for this year’s EuroBasket in Latvia?

Meneghin: I am delighted. They have shown great strength. I have followed the teams on the court and outside it and I have seen that they are a true team. They are a group of friends, who are united. I have been hit by their enthusiasm, their availability for the national team. This has been one of the reasons why this team has qualified for the EuroBasket after many years. The merit has been down to their strength and the work done by coach Giampiero Ticchi and his staff. This is a great result and I hope it can be a great example for the men's national team.

FIBA: Italy are among the countries short-listed to host the 2014 FIBA World Championship for men. What would it mean for Italian basketball and for the nation to host such a prestigious event?

Meneghin: It would be the result of a lot of work and sacrifice. To bring to Italy such an important event after many years would be a reward for those who work in basketball and who love the sport. We hosted the EuroBasket in 1991 and ever since then, we have not hosted anything. Italy needs and wants to see the best basketball in the world played here. We know very well that (the other two candidates) China and Spain are two important realities but we are hopeful.
            Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
            Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
              It's sad to see the Italian basketball NT not doing well these days after they played amazing back in the 2004 Olympics in Athens when they won the silver medal.
              Recalcati has been coaching the Italian NT for quite a long time now and I think it's time for new coach if there are any better candidates available (I don't remember a coach staying that long with a NT. I think it's been like 7 or 8 years that he's been coaching the NT if i'm not mistaken.)
              Antonio Diaz Miguel stayed 27 years as spanish NT coach. The funny thing is that he was suposed to be an interim coach when he was hired back in the anciant era.
              Hopefully we'll see Bargnani playing this summer. A good performace with the NT might boost his recently gained confidence and help him to show us the greatness that i'm sure lays somewhere inside him.
              Last edited by penzias; 02-24-2009, 07:39 AM.
              Originally posted by FIBA Europe Basket
              You are a troll.

Comment

Seems like Gallinari won't play in additional qualification round for EC'09. Like our bball sites writes, that Danilo has plans to stay and practise in US all summer long and if he will come back to Italy, it will be only for short vacations.

Comment

Recalcati Looks At Players In March Training Camp

Italy will face an enormous task this summer when they go up against France and Finland in the EuroBasket Additional Qualifying Round Group B.

There's no time like the present for Azzurri coach Carlo Recalcati to start preparing for both teams, which is why he is holding a training camp in Domegge di Cadore from March 16-17 for 16 of his Italian-based players.

Luca Lechthaler of defending Lega A champions and Coppa Italia winners Montepaschi Siena has been named along with Marco Mordente, an Italy veteran who has been excelling with Armani Jeans Milano.

Angelo Gigli, a key member of the EuroBasket 2007 squad who missed last summer's qualifying campaign through injury, is also included.

The only player from the Lega Due to be named is Monferrato center Tommaso Fantoni, who played in two qualifying games last summer.

The 2.03m center Fantoni, who turns 24 on Wednesday, is averaging 12.6 points and 5.5 rebounds for fourth-place Monferrato.

Squad for Italy training camp:

Valerie Amoroso (202-F-80) (Bancatercas Teramo)

Michele Antonutti (203-G/F-86) (Snaidero Udine)

Pietro Aradori (192-G-88) (Angelico Biella)

Daniele Cavaliero (189-G-84) (Premiata Montegranaro)

Daniele Cinciarini (194-G-83) (Air Avellino)

Andrea Crosariol (212-C-84, (Air Avellino)

Luigi Datome (202-G/F-87) (Lottomatica Roma)

Tommaso Fantoni (203-F-85) (Fastweb Casale Monferrato)

Luca Garri (207-C/F-82) (Angelico Biella)

Jacopo Giachetti (191-G-83) (Lottomatica Roma)

Angelo Gigli (209-F/C-83) (Lottomatica Roma)

Luca Lechthaler (207-C-86) (Montepaschi Siena)

Marco Mordente (191-G-79) (Armani Jeans Milano)

Giuseppe Poeta (190-G-85) (Bancatercas Teramo)

Andrea Renzi (208-F/C-89) (Benetton Treviso)

Luca Vitali (201-G-86) (Armani Jeans Milano)
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

D'Antoni, Italy Fret Over Gallinari

Italian basketball fans are worried about the back problems that have plagued Danilo Gallinari during his rookie season in the NBA and so are the New York Knicks faithful.

New York coach Mike D'Antoni has done nothing to allay the anxiety, admitting in the Italian media over the weekend that he's "a bit nervous" about the 20-year-old who has played in just 28 games this season.

Gallinari was due to rejoin the Knicks on Monday after having his back examined by doctors in Milan.

"I think we will have him back for next season, whether it's with physiotherapy or an operation, that we still don't know," D'Antoni said.

"Certainly, I am a bit nervous and he should be also because there are no guarantees.

"We know we cannot make any mistakes when dealing with this situation. Danilo is a very important part of our future."

The New York Times reported last week that Gallinari is likely to decline an invitation to play for Italy in the Additional Qualifying Round (AQR) for EuroBasket 2009.

In the AQR, Italy are in Group B with France and Finland.

Should the Italians finish top of that pool, they will then have to win in a home-and-away tie against the winners of Group A (Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina or Portugal) to advance to Poland for the Final Round.

Italy still do not know if three of the other North American-based players - Toronto Raptors center Andrea Bargnani, Golden State Warriors guard Marco Belinelli or University of Southern California point guard Daniel Hackett - will play.

Bargnani has been on a tear since February 10, averaging more than 20 points in 16 games.

However, he missed Sunday's win over the Los Angeles Clippers with a sore left heel.

Hackett's Trojans suffered a narrow defeat to Michigan State on Sunday night to bow out of the NCAA Tournament in the round of 32.
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

I can't imagine Gallinari playing in the qualifiers (or the rest of the NBA this year). Back pain is a killer and Gallinari is the victim. Maybe if he skips the rest of the NBA season, he can play for Italy, but seriously, this is a young kid who is at the start of his career. He could risk his career coming back to soon. Of course, he shouldn't act like Ilgauskas and dedicate his career to his franchise, but I think it would be very risky for him to play in the summer.

I'm sure Bargnani and Belinelli will play for Italy. Bargnani is having a All-Star second half of the season and seems very healthy. Hackett will no doubt travel with the team, but he might not make it onto the court because Italy has a lot of guards "ahead" of him, like Belinelli, Basile, Bulleri, Giachetti, and di Bella. Of course, maybe Hackett has improved so much as a point guard that Recalcati will be forced to play him!
                      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Damn, I got the feeling we'e never going to see our real NT. There's always something wrong, call it NBA, call it injuries, call it players' strike. It's been so long since the last time I saw a decent Italian team. This really bothers me.

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                        I can't imagine Gallinari playing in the qualifiers (or the rest of the NBA this year). Back pain is a killer and Gallinari is the victim. Maybe if he skips the rest of the NBA season, he can play for Italy, but seriously, this is a young kid who is at the start of his career. He could risk his career coming back to soon. Of course, he shouldn't act like Ilgauskas and dedicate his career to his franchise, but I think it would be very risky for him to play in the summer.

I'm sure Bargnani and Belinelli will play for Italy. Bargnani is having a All-Star second half of the season and seems very healthy. Hackett will no doubt travel with the team, but he might not make it onto the court because Italy has a lot of guards "ahead" of him, like Belinelli, Basile, Bulleri, Giachetti, and di Bella. Of course, maybe Hackett has improved so much as a point guard that Recalcati will be forced to play him!
                        Okay, you can pull Gallinari off the list. We all know it would be crazy for such a young and promising guy underestimate his back pains. He just needs to think about his health since he's very injury-prone. It's a shame because due to another injury he already was forced to give up NT in 2007. It's like destiny doesn't want him to play official games with Italy.

Basile said he considers his NT experience over. He's 34 and wants to rest in the summer months.

Bulleri could be once again bouncing around. A total bust playing for Milano and Virtus Bologna, he's doing great since he went back to Treviso, not far from the levels he reached some years ago. It seemed there were no more chances for him, but as long as he keeps playing this way I guess Recalcati will call him back.

Giachetti played great in the first part of the season as backup PG. He stole Brandon Jennings' minutes and was decisive in several games. But then, he started fading. I think he'll get a call only in friendly games, otherwise he'll get a chance only if someone else is injured.

Recalcati loves Hackett. I'm sure he's going to call him. The problem is there's too much crowd in the PG spot (Poeta, Bulleri, Vitali, Hackett), even if Vitali is more of a combo-guard than a pure PG.

Comment

Originally posted by special-thanks-2 View Post
                          Damn, I got the feeling we'e never going to see our real NT. There's always something wrong, call it NBA, call it injuries, call it players' strike. It's been so long since the last time I saw a decent Italian team. This really bothers me.
                          I think you're right. But even if Gallinari doesn't play, I think Bargnani is the better player for almost any team.
                          Basile said he considers his NT experience over. He's 34 and wants to rest in the summer months.
                          That's too bad. He's still got a lot of game.
                          Recalcati loves Hackett. I'm sure he's going to call him. The problem is there's too much crowd in the PG spot (Poeta, Bulleri, Vitali, Hackett), even if Vitali is more of a combo-guard than a pure PG.
                          Hackett is also more of a combo-guard (I've read) in the NCAA, where the players are simply smaller than they are in the European competitions. In the NCAA, he has learned to play both positions, so maybe there will be some playing time for him. Who knows?
                          "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

ITA/USA – Surgery appears likely for Gallinari

NEW YORK (NBA) – New York Knicks rookie Danilo Gallinari is likely to have surgery in a bid to solve the back trouble that has plagued the Italian this season.

Gallinari visited with specialists last weekend in Milan and Verona and returned to New York on Monday.

When asked about the possibility of surgery, the 20-year-old said: "Yeah, I'm leaning in that direction.

"We tried everything for eight months to figure out this problem. Last week, we were talking about this with specialists about the right idea and what to do.”

The aim of surgery is to relieve pressure on a nerve in his back.

Knicks officials will confer with specialists this week before making an announcement on Gallinari, who played in just 28 games this season.

Gallinari has not publically ruled out playing for Italy in the EuroBasket 2009 Additional Qualifying Round though his appearance seems unlikely.

Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni, meanwhile, has no regrets selecting Gallinari sixth in last year's draft.

"We didn't pick anybody to win the title this year," D'Antoni said.

"We picked guys that in one, two, three years will develop into some of the best players in the league.

"We're pretty confident he's on that track. Now whether he does or not, nobody can see into the future."
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

Speaking of the summer, which can’t come soon enough, Andrea Bargnani told me yesterday he’s definitely going to play for Italy.

And it could be busy.

The Italians have to play in an additional qualification round this summer – against the likes of France and Israel – just to make it to Eurobasket 2009 in September so there’s a chance the majority of Bargnani’s off-season will be taken up with national team obligations.

You all right with that?

Of course, Italy could bow out in the first qualifier and he’d have all of September off but that might not be the case.
                              sigpic
                              ACB league
                              Scola & Ginobili 4 life
                              TAU & Lakers supporter
                              need4sheed.com

Comment

Great news for Italy!

ITA – Azzurri get thumbs-up from Bargnani

ROME (EuroBasket 2009) – Italy coach Carlo Recalcati delivered some morale-boosting news on Thursday when revealing that Toronto Raptors star Andrea Bargnani will play for the Azzurri this summer.

The headlines in recent weeks have been about the injury-plagued season of Danilo Gallinari and a back operation that has all but ruled the New York Knicks rookie out of the Additional Qualifying Round games for EuroBasket 2009.

Italy played without Bargnani, Marco Belinelli (Golden State Warriors), Gallinari and Daniel Hackett (University of Southern California) last summer.

"I want to have the best players available for the qualifiers,” Recalcati said in an FIP statement.

“Obviously, among them I include the ones that play in America; Bargnani has already given his availability. I will meet Belinelli in a couple of weeks' time when he returns to Italy and for Hackett, we will have to wait until the NBA draft on June 25.”

Bargnani turned into a far more explosive player this season with the Raptors, averaging 15.3 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.

The seven-footer had even better statistics over the last half of the campaign following the trade of center Jermaine O’Neal to Miami.

Recalcati is already looking ahead to the opening game showdown with France.

"We will not have a long preparation but I believe it will be enough to arrive in the best possible condition for the games that count - first the one with France, a traditional rival that has great quality,” Recalcati said.

“We will not underestimate the other teams but the first game at home will be crucial."

As for the French Basketball Federation’s much publicised signing of a letter of engagement by point guard Tony Parker that commits the San Antonio Spurs point guard to national team duty through the summer of 2012, FIP president Dino Meneghin said: "We hope our players don't need a piece of paper.

“The national team is not a contract. It's a feeling, an emotion. For me, a handshake means much more."
                                Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information