• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian NT 2008
    LOL
    http://www.fortitudobologna.it/

Faber quisquis fortitudinis suae.

Comment

Well, after the loss against bulgaria (the game that had to be won basically) i guess recalcati will surely go home yup.

I might be wrong but it's more or less the last hope italy had (unless a win in serbia...) to qualify for next euro, right ?

On the other hand, serbia lost against finland.
      Last edited by raph; 08-30-2008, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Italy guard Luca Vitali could miss the rest of the Azzurri's EuroBasket 2009 qualifying campaign with a hand injury.

According to a statement issued by the Italian Basketball Federation, the player has broken a bone in his right hand and has left the team to join up with his club side, Varese.

Italy, with just one victory in four EuroBasket Division A games, face a must-win game this weekend when they travel to Serbia (3-1) in Group A.

Only the group winners, and the three best second-place teams from the four qualifying groups will earn automatic places at EuroBasket 2009 in Poland.

The Azzurri also have games remaining against Finland, Hungary and Bulgaria.

Everything going well for Recalcati
        Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
        Artificial Nature

Comment

Is Charlie still your coach? Who will be his replacement, if (when) he goes?

Comment

Originally posted by ffalkec
            Is Charlie still your coach? Who will be his replacement, if (when) he goes?
            Unfortunately no Messina or Scariolo...

The main candidate is Matteo Boniciolli (last year he won italian cup with Avellino and won the COY Award), i believe.

Comment

The president of the federation resigned, how could this affect Recalcati's future?
              Artificial Nature

Comment

And what about Messina ? In our local "gazetta dello sport" (l'equipe) both him and majlkovic are interviewed and they pretend to be interested by coaching french NT.
                It seems unrealistic for me (especially messina for obvious reasons...) but messina declared that he would rather coach italy (i can imagine he won't say much more till recalcati is fired). which is not what was suggested by italian fans here.

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
                  The president of the federation resigned, how could this affect Recalcati's future?
                  I hope they will keep "Charlie" as head coach. A lot a players were missing, some due to NBA (Bargnani, Belinelli), other due to injuries (Gallinari, Gigli, Vitali). If you add these players to Crosariol, Da Tome, Hackett and Poeta you obtain a beautiful roster. Although I consider two positions as very weak (center and playmaker).
                  If anybody knows something about the young center Cucarollo 220 87 (he was in Benetton and played well during Euro U20 in 2007. At the time I thought he would be soon member of Italian NT).

Comment

It's sad to see the Italian basketball NT not doing well these days after they played amazing back in the 2004 Olympics in Athens when they won the silver medal.
                    Recalcati has been coaching the Italian NT for quite a long time now and I think it's time for new coach if there are any better candidates available (I don't remember a coach staying that long with a NT. I think it's been like 7 or 8 years that he's been coaching the NT if i'm not mistaken.)

Comment

Meneghin Pleads With NBA Trio To Play For Italy

Italy basketball legend Dino Meneghin has made an emotional appeal to Andrea Bargnani, Marco Belinelli and Danilo Gallinari to play for the Azzurri in next year's Additional Qualifying Round for the EuroBasket.

Injury prevented New York Knicks rookie Gallinari from taking part this summer while NBA commitments with Toronto and Golden State, respectively, for Bargnani and Belinelli stopped each from joining.

Without their three rising stars, Italy managed to win just four of their eight qualifying games in Group A and that was only good enough for a third-place finish behind Serbia and Bulgaria.

Meneghin, who was this week appointed Italian Basketball Federation commissioner in the wake of Fausto Maifredi's unexpected resignation as president, told Legabasket.it: "We´ve had a huge problem this summer with qualification. We missed a lot our three NBA players while we had other injured players.

"My hope, my certainty that I can offer at this time, is that the players across the Atlantic understand the dramatic moment of our national team that really needs to take part in the EuroBasket 2009.

"Their presence is crucial and necessary. In this case I make their appeal to their team spirit and their love of the national team, many times said and read on the newspapers but that now needs to be shown on the court.

"Once called, they must respond to the call-up of the national team, of coach (Carlo) Recalcati, things that have been done by all the great players of the NBA.

"They should be with us so that the national team, which belongs to everyone, can go to the EuroBasket and regain the prestigious place where it belongs."

Italy will take on France, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belgium, Finland and Portugal in the Additional Qualifying Round with just one place for the EuroBasket up for grabs.
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by AlbionGate
                        I hope they will keep "Charlie" as head coach. A lot a players were missing, some due to NBA (Bargnani, Belinelli), other due to injuries (Gallinari, Gigli, Vitali). If you add these players to Crosariol, Da Tome, Hackett and Poeta you obtain a beautiful roster. Although I consider two positions as very weak (center and playmaker).
                        I don't think the PG position is that weak... Vitali-Poeta-Hackett is a good trio in which every player can bring something different.

The real weak position is the C. Even if Crosariol and Lechthaler (this year the 4rd big man for Montepaschi Siena) can become decent at international level and rumors report Bargnani has gained around 15lbs of muscle this summer so he should play more downlow for us. Gigli himself can play that position for some minutes... we'll see.

For the future the new name is Benetton's Andrea Renzi (1989 born), although probably better suited for the PF position (like many italian prospects lately).

If anybody knows something about the young center Cucarollo 220 87 (he was in Benetton and played well during Euro U20 in 2007. At the time I thought he would be soon member of Italian NT).
                        Cuccarolo last year played in the 2nd division (Legadue) for Montecatini. Few minutes and very few decent games for him... still immature and underdeveloped physically. I don't think he'll play in the Italian NT anytime soon (if ever)... this year he should be playing in the 3rd division but i'm not sure.

Comment

Thumbs-up For Italy Coaches Recalcati, Ticchi

Carlo Recalcati and Giampiero Ticchi are to remain in charge of the men's and women's national teams of Italy, respectively.

The FIP said in a statement that both men had been nominated to continue as coaches by Italy Basketball commissioner Dino Meneghin.

Italy basketball great Meneghin recently took temporary charge of the FIP following the resignation of president Fausto Maifredi and has been a long-time supporter of Recalcati.

He recently told legabasket.it: "He (Recalcati) is a person that I admire, a great man that knows the system from A to Z. For me, he is indispensable and I hope that he will be alongside me in these months."

Recalcati led Italy to bronze at EuroBasket 2003 and silver at the Athens Olympics and has been at the helm of the Azzurri ever since. The team did not meet their aim this summer of reaching next year's EuroBasket in Poland, but it will take part in the Additional Qualifying Round against France, Portugal, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belgium and Finland.

The six teams will battle for one spot that is still available for next year's Final Round.

Ticchi took charge of the Azzurre before this summer's EuroBasket Women 2009 qualifying campaign.

He will guide them in January's Additional Qualifying Round for the EuroBasket Women.

The Italians will battle Ukraine, Bulgaria, Belgium, Croatia and Germany for two places that are still up for grabs for the Final Round that is to be staged in Riga, Latvia.
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

European Round-Up: Meneghin To Stand For President

Dino Meneghin has moved closer to becoming president of the Italian Basketball Federation (FIP) after receiving the backing of the presidents of the regional committee of the FIP.

The Italy basketball legend has been serving as commissioner of the FIP since September after Fausto Maifredi stepped down as president.

The presidents of the regional committee met in Milan at the weekend and officially asked Meneghin to stand for president when the election is held on February 7 and Meneghin agreed to do so.

"I have accepted to stand for several reasons," Meneghin said in a statement by the FIP.

"I have found a lot of good faith in my project as well as a common wish to achieve it. We have spoken a lot about schools, and youth teams and that is a good first step to work together in time.

"I have met people that work on a day-to-day basis on the court, that give their best for a common goal.

"With the presidents of the regional committee, we agree on an issue that basketball is to be improved, not rescued.

"We must work to improve it, to attract the biggest number of youngsters, to offer them to the clubs and then to the national team. With all due respect to clubs, the national team is the most important club in Italy."
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

Recalcati calls 16 players

"(by Gianni Pascucci)
                              Yesterday started in Porto San Giorgio the first of the three National Team mini-camps scheduled by coach Carlo Recalcati to test and develop the skills of the best young Italian players. The other two camps will be held on February 16 and on March 23. One of the convocated players, Tommaso Fantoni (203-F-85, agency: Players Group), was unable to join the camp due to a light injury. The other ones are as listed down:
                              Michele Antonutti (202-G/F-86)
                              Pietro Aradori (192-G-88)
                              Daniele Bonessio (197-G/F-88)
                              Matteo Canavesi (204-F/C-86)
                              Bruno Cerella (194-G/F-86)
                              Andrea Cinciarini (191-G-86)
                              Valerio Circosta (185-G-87)
                              Gino Cuccarolo (219-C-87)
                              Marco Cusin (211-C-85, agency: Interperformances)
                              Lorenzo D'Ercole (190-G-88)
                              Thomas De Min (203-G-86)
                              Giancarlo Ferrero (194-G-88, agency: Players Group)
                              Giuseppe Poeta (190-G-85)
                              Tommaso Rinaldi (204-F/C-85)
                              Brian Sacchetti (197-G/F-86)
                              Gennaro Sorrentino (185-G-85)"

Comment

Wow, and we don't even have started to work on NT.
                                It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information