No announcement yet.

Italian NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've watched a couple of games and it looks to me that Belinelli is a big problem in this team (as usual as of late). His shot selection and decision making are really poor. He comes off his NBA season, where he was just a role guy, thinking that he can deliver the same stuff he used to do back in Bologna, but that's not possible. That was way too much time ago, he's not used to it and he's not effective at all. He could be really useful sticking to balanced shots and creating off the dribble for his teammates, but I'm a bit pessimistic about his willingness to sacrifice his appetite for shots.

Meanwhile, Gallinari seems to struggle a little bit to get his opponents off the dribble as he used to do back in Milano, and against Macedonia he settled for too many jumpers IMO. Don't make me wrong: he's a great shooter, but this team would really benefit from other different offensive options. I liked how aggressive he was in the second game, against Bulgaria. Anyway, I guess his NBA game style and physical work might have hurt his slashing ability a little bit, although I'm still not sure about this.

The PG issue is a concern because, without a dominant playmaker, Belinelli takes more decisions, which is bad for the team. If he settled down, it wouldn't be such a big problem given the quality of the big three. I like Hackett, even if he's not the answer to the team problems, but he brings physical presence and a reasonable offensive option.

Vitali (I used to love him) looks like a former player. He has no confidence in his playmaking abilities and his jumper is off. He's useless at this point, I'm afraid.

It's sad to see how Italy struggles to produce those smart, hard-nosed and ultra-competitive players with loads of character that used to be a trademark for this country, and that would perfectly compliment the current team stars. I guess it's a matter of having such a decimated domestic league. Anyway, I was in Bilbao a week ago watching the medal games at the U20 EC, and I was almost touched by Moraschini, who looks closer to that old Italian mold. Too bad he's not that true playmaker this NT needs so bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Genjuro View Post

Vitali (I used to love him) looks like a former player. He has no confidence in his playmaking abilities and his jumper is off. He's useless at this point, I'm afraid.

It's sad to see how Italy struggles to produce those smart, hard-nosed and ultra-competitive players with loads of character that used to be a trademark for this country, and that would perfectly compliment the current team stars. I guess it's a matter of having such a decimated domestic league. Anyway, I was in Bilbao a week ago watching the medal games at the U20 EC, and I was almost touched by Moraschini, who looks closer to that old Italian mold. Too bad he's not that true playmaker this NT needs so bad.
      You're kidding?? Italian league is excellent and the second division is better than many national leagues too.

Comment

I've watched a couple of games and it looks to me that Belinelli is a big problem in this team (as usual as of late). His shot selection and decision making are really poor. He comes off his NBA season, where he was just a role guy, thinking that he can deliver the same stuff he used to do back in Bologna, but that's not possible. That was way too much time ago, he's not used to it and he's not effective at all. He could be really useful sticking to balanced shots and creating off the dribble for his teammates, but I'm a bit pessimistic about his willingness to sacrifice his appetite for shots.
        Well Genjuro, it's true that Belinelli forced many situations that i didn't like in the first 2 games but we also have to point out that Bargnani wasn't there and he's the 1st option on offense. I hope with the come back of Andrea the offensive roles will be more balanced and Belinelli will hopefully do less damages... i think he should be closer to the player we've seen this year in NO (spot-up shooter mainly) with some slashing drives to variate his game. Even without a legit PG we have another ball-handler in Gallinari so Marco should concentrate in other aspects of the game. We'll see in the next friendly games if he can do it or not and if Pianigiani can motivate him to do so.

Meanwhile, Gallinari seems to struggle a little bit to get his opponents off the dribble as he used to do back in Milano, and against Macedonia he settled for too many jumpers IMO. Don't make me wrong: he's a great shooter, but this team would really benefit from other different offensive options. I liked how aggressive he was in the second game, against Bulgaria. Anyway, I guess his NBA game style and physical work might have hurt his slashing ability a little bit, although I'm still not sure about this.
        Yeah, he definitely lost some quickness since his AJ Milano seasons... but he's also stronger and maybe can help us also under the boards where we struggle. Anyway it's just 2 weeks of work so maybe he has just to improve his conditioning...

The PG issue is a concern because, without a dominant playmaker, Belinelli takes more decisions, which is bad for the team. If he settled down, it wouldn't be such a big problem given the quality of the big three. I like Hackett, even if he's not the answer to the team problems, but he brings physical presence and a reasonable offensive option.
        Hackett did pretty well... he can slash to the basket, something we lack in this team.

I'm curious to see how Cinciarini performs since he'll be the starter PG of Cantù in Euroleague... he has some talent and body to play at that level.

I remember you loved Vitali but i think he was never a great prospect due to his limited body and athleticism (although i hoped to see him as Euroleague caliber player)... now he's also a worst shooter or maybe he lost his confidence so he's definitely useless like you say.

Moraschini is not a PG... he can play some minutes like Belinelli used to play several years ago... unfortunately Riccardo doesn't have the outside shot to play at Euroleague level like Marco.

If you watched U20 medal games you should have noticed the real hard nosed guy in the italian team: Achille Polonara... too bad he hasn't too many skills beside his athleticism and energy...

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxicity View Post
          If you watched U20 medal games you should have noticed the real hard nosed guy in the italian team: Achille Polonara... too bad he hasn't too many skills beside his athleticism and energy...
          Yes, he was nice. Good energy there. A bit skinny too. He's the kind of player that might develop into something interesting, but it's hard to say, and he's not a teenager anymore. Anyway, it was funny during one game when he dunked on a much shorter guard and kept eye contact defying him like he had dunked on Dwight Howard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xristos View Post
            You're kidding?? Italian league is excellent and the second division is better than many national leagues too.
            Of course, it's excellent compared to leagues such as the Greek one. But it's a lot worse than the Italian league from past decades. Not only the level has dropped, but there's a sure winner every single year. Little competitiveness there. I don't think it's a mere coincidence their struggles to produce good team players and the situation of the league.

Comment

I've watched a couple of games and it looks to me that Belinelli is a big problem in this team (as usual as of late). His shot selection and decision making are really poor. He comes off his NBA season, where he was just a role guy, thinking that he can deliver the same stuff he used to do back in Bologna, but that's not possible. That was way too much time ago, he's not used to it and he's not effective at all. He could be really useful sticking to balanced shots and creating off the dribble for his teammates, but I'm a bit pessimistic about his willingness to sacrifice his appetite for shots.

i agree on belinelli's speech, i hope he has a little play so well because he wanted to entertain the audience a little...

gallinari,i think he'll be most important player in this NT,because he is able to involve their colleagues and to be the emotional leader of the team...

hackett isn't a pure pg,but hhe 'll be very improtant in difense above all...
              among PG i'm so curious to see andrea cinciarini,who Italian basketball commentator calls "the italian diamantidis"...

vitali the most talented among our PG together cinciarini could be the ideal playmaker of this team,because because he knows basketball and with bargnani would have had a very good feeling IMO...shame as you say now looks like a former player with no confidence in his game...

homever vitali against bulgaria playeed a few minutes and very well...

we have a few smart players smart players in this NT unfortunately maybe four.gallinari,carraretto,cinciarini and vitali.

Comment

• cavaliero out for 3 weeks...

maybe pianigiani will call gentile and moraschini,to replace him...

Comment

• Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
                  i agree on belinelli's speech, i hope he has a little play so well because he wanted to entertain the audience a little...

gallinari,i think he'll be most important player in this NT,because he is able to involve their colleagues and to be the emotional leader of the team...

hackett isn't a pure pg,but hhe 'll be very improtant in difense above all...
                  among PG i'm so curious to see andrea cinciarini,who Italian basketball commentator calls "the italian diamantidis"...

vitali the most talented among our PG together cinciarini could be the ideal playmaker of this team,because because he knows basketball and with bargnani would have had a very good feeling IMO...shame as you say now looks like a former player with no confidence in his game...

homever vitali against bulgaria playeed a few minutes and very well...

we have a few smart players smart players in this NT unfortunately maybe four.gallinari,carraretto,cinciarini and vitali.
                  I whole-heartedly agree with you that Belinelli might be a problem and that Gallinari is the key to the team

Vitali can run the point well on offense and has really played well enough in the Italian league to earn a defined spot. Vitali-Bellinelli-Gallinari-Mancinelli-Bargnani would be my 5.
                  -Slam

Euroleague Adventures

Twitter: Euro_Adventures

Comment

• Originally posted by Slam View Post
                    I whole-heartedly agree with you that Belinelli might be a problem and that Gallinari is the key to the team

Vitali can run the point well on offense and has really played well enough in the Italian league to earn a defined spot. Vitali-Bellinelli-Gallinari-Mancinelli-Bargnani would be my 5.
                    unfortunately we don't have prospects in PG position:de nicolao playmaker of under 20,is not ready yet to play an eurobasket...

so we call hackett and cinciarini that are not very young but they are rookies at this level like peppe poeta,so we'll see whether the level belongs to their or not ...homerver our princiapal lakc is in centre positioni,where we don't have a centre with tonnage,but only cusin hat is very light unfortunately....

belinelli pg i hope no homever...

the problem of vitali,is the lack of confidenze in his game,becuase in the last year he played very little due to injuries and not just,in addition to this defense has always been a problem for the lack of athleticism,so he isn' the ideal of our nt above all for the defense...

Comment

• Italy 102 Brigham Young University 63

Sacramento Kings
                      HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

• Daniel Hackett - Antonio Maestranzi - Andrea Cinciarini
                        Marco Belinelli - Marco Mordente
                        Danilo Gallinari - Luigi Datome - Marco Carraretto
                        Stefano Mancinelli - Andrea Renzi
                        Andrea Bargnani - Marco Cusin

4 Marcos, 3 Andreas + 1 Daniel & Danilo, not much fantasy uh...

This is who we are, expect the big three to play at least 30 minutes per game and let's hope Bargnani doesn't get in foul trouble, or we'll have to rely on Cusin and Renzi...
                        We're gonna miss Crosariol's size and intimidation down low, we could have had Aradori or even Gentile as backup SG instead of Mordente, who's way past his prime and I don't think can give much help.
                        Last edited by boyd20; 08-28-2011, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• I agree with you, why not bring Gentile? He could get some vital experience with the big boys, which could launch him for the future.

Bargnani has to stay out of foul trouble, no 2 ways about it.

I think Hackett could be the mister x[no not Galliani's mister x] for this roster. If he has a big tourney and can play multiple postions, Italia can really think about the top 6 or higher.

That is, if the Big 3 plus Manc play up to their expected standards

Comment

• Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                            I agree with you, why not bring Gentile? He could get some vital experience with the big boys, which could launch him for the future.

Bargnani has to stay out of foul trouble, no 2 ways about it.

I think Hackett could be the mister x[no not Galliani's mister x] for this roster. If he has a big tourney and can play multiple postions, Italia can really think about the top 6 or higher.

That is, if the Big 3 plus Manc play up to their expected standards
                            carraetto for 10 minutes is better than gentile IMO actually,carraretto has more experience than gentile,better in defense than gentile ...

in this rooster gentile must be a member of supporting cast,not the ideal for him,so like mebmer of supproting cast is better carraretto IMO...

our rooster is just official:

hackett-maetsranzi-cinciarini
                            belinelli-carraretto-mordente
                            gallinari-datome
                            mancinelli
                            bargnani-cusin-renzi

Comment

• Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
                              carraetto for 10 minutes is better than gentile IMO actually,carraretto has more experience than gentile,better in defense than gentile ...

in this rooster gentile must be a member of supporting cast,not the ideal for him,so like mebmer of supproting cast is better carraretto IMO...

our rooster is just official:

hackett-maetsranzi-cinciarini
                              belinelli-carraretto-mordente
                              gallinari-datome
                              mancinelli
                              bargnani-cusin-renzi
                              I didn't see Carraretto very well in these friendlies... he was launching bricks wide open and defended very bad for his standard. I hope he's fine for the start of EC or that 10 minutes of play will cost us much...

Also i don't trust in Mordente very much (another old guard without speed or 3p accuracy)... maybe Gentile is too young but a guy like Aradori (deadly 3p shooter and good rebounder) would have been much more useful as backup SG imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxicity View Post
                                I didn't see Carraretto very well in these friendlies... he was launching bricks wide open and defended very bad for his standard. I hope he's fine for the start of EC or that 10 minutes of play will cost us much...

Also i don't trust in Mordente very much (another old guard without speed or 3p accuracy)... maybe Gentile is too young but a guy like Aradori (deadly 3p shooter and good rebounder) would have been much more useful as backup SG imo.
                                Definitely, I didn't understand why Pianigiani chose to leave him at home.
                                We really need more scoring options besides the big three, Aradori imo is the only one who could have brought some instant offense, potentially he can score plenty of points in a few minutes.
                                I'm afraid we will struggle in getting buckets by the other players, unless Mancinelli will be particularly effective in the low post, as this would also create space for open shots. Maybe also Datome could help us offensively, but he's streaky and I didn't see him very accurate in these friendlies. Plus, he's in a position in which he may not get a lot of minutes.

Anyway, I'm afraid that rebounds and low-post defense will be our biggest issues, even more than finding other finishers.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information