Italian NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian NT

Andrea Bargnani may play for Italy in their EuroBasket 2009 qualifying games after all.

National team boss Carlo Recalcati, who will lead the Azzurri against Serbia, Bulgaria, Hungary and Finland in Division A games later this year, was preparing to move forward without the Toronto star because of his heavy training commitments with the Raptors.

But Italian Basketball Federation president Fausto Maifredi has received positive information on the 22-year-old's availability.

"In the case of Bargnani, there is something new," Maifredi said.

"Toronto have communicated to us that the player is available for the national team and consequently, he will evaluate the summer workout programs."

The 2.11m Bargnani made his senior team debut last summer at the EuroBasket in Madrid and helped the Azzurri reach the quarter-final qualifying round by averaging 12.7 points and five rebounds per contest.

Italy are uncertain if Marco Belinelli, a rookie this season with the Golden State Warriors and also a member of last year's team, will be able to play.

Belinelli was also important to Italy last year, pouring in 15.5 points per game.

Good news no doubt for Italy and also considering the known cases with Garbajosa, Ilgauskas and others. Wishful thinking, but perhaps this could mark a turning point...
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Italy coach Carlo Recalcati has given a ringing endorsement to 2004 Olympian Luca Garri following his performances for an experimental Azzurri side the past two weeks.

Garri was the last cut from last year's squad in Spain but appears to have a great chance of making this summer's team for Italy's EuroBasket 2009 qualifying games against Serbia, Hungary, Bulgaria and Finland.

Speaking after Italy's 98-90 friendly defeat to the Czech Republic in Bassano on Wednesday night following a 22-point performance from Garri, Recalcati said: "We have played seven games in nine days and I have to say I have seen good things from my players.

"I cannot be fully happy in terms of results. I have seen Luca Garri, captain of this national team, regain his confidence and personality on the court and that is a good thing."

Italy will play on Friday against Ukraine in Verona looking to bounce back from their back-to-back setbacks against the Czech Republic.

Ukraine will play France, Belgium and Turkey in EuroBasket 2009 qualifying games.

Recalcati said: "Ukraine is probably a competitive team but right now, our aim is to focus on ourselves."
    Artificial Nature

Comment

NT could go on strike

GIBA, the syndicate of Italian basketball players, set a strike to all activities of senior Italian NT starting on 18th July. The reason is simple: the difference between foreign and national players in Lega. Unless the situation changes and an agreement is reached, the NT will go on strike.
      Artificial Nature

Comment

Bargnani out for Italy

Carlo Recalcati has confirmed that Andrea Bargnani will not play this summer for Italy "due to his commitments with the Toronto Raptors".

Bargnani made his first senior-team bow last year at the EuroBasket in Spain but the Azzurri failed to reach the quarter-finals and now have to go through qualifying for EuroBasket 2009 in a very difficult group that includes Serbia, Hungary, Bulgaria and Finland.

Unfortunately for basketball fans in Italy, the Raptors take priority for Bargnani, depriving the country of its biggest basketball star.

"Andrea Bargnani will not be available due to his commitments with Toronto Raptors," Recalcati said in a statement issued by the Italian Basketball Federation.

"Marco Belinelli will be included in the 24-player list. Marco has a programme of two summer leagues with the Golden State Warriors. I have reached an agreement with Golden State that if they were satisfied with his first (summer league) then his position may be reconsidered."

Recalcati is still hopeful that the country's other promising star, Danilo Gallinari, will not have his hopes of joining up with Italy dashed by the forthcoming NBA draft.

Gallinari, who is coming off his second full season with Armani Jeans Milano, is projected to be a first-round pick.

"Danilo Gallinari has given his full availability but we will have to wait and see which franchise chooses him on June 26 in the NBA draft," Recalcati said.

The Italians are even having to clear hurdles at the collegiate level in America with University of South California coach Tim Floyd apparently unwilling to let point guard Daniel Hackett play for the Azzurri.

Recalcati visited USC earlier this year, but has revealed: "The problem with Daniel Hackett is that his coach Tim Floyd doesn't understand our system of qualifying and doesn't allow him to be available. We are working on changing his mind."

And it's not just roadblocks Recalcati is facing in America that is cause for frustration.

In Italy, there is a threat of a players' strike. Players, in a worst-case scenario, could boycott the national team unless tighter restrictions are placed on the number of foreigners allowed to play in Italy's leagues.

"I am aware of the danger of the (players) strike but I will never say who doesn't join the national team for issues other than physical or technical," Recalcati said.

"I just hope that the players and the institutions speak and find a solution so that by July 18, we are able not only to meet but to train."
        Artificial Nature

Comment

Italian fellows, is it true Stonerook might play for Italy?
          Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
            Italian fellows, is it true Stonerook might play for Italy?
            Yes. Recalcati himself said he will consider him, so there are concrete chances to see Stonerook playing for Italian NT.

Comment

Stonerook would be wonderful for our team!

Rocca is a better rebounder and he's a nice player but Shaun is another thing... i want him in the NT!

I think Recalcati should also call Michele Maggioli back in the roster... he's no young at 31 but he's clearly the best center we have right now (Chiacig and Marconato are declining, Crosariol is still too inconsistent).

Considering the friendly games played lately, i'd say Datome is a lock to make the roster for the qualifications. Garri, Cinciarini and Lechthaler may be too...

Comment

These are the players for Bormio's training camp:

1. Amoroso Valerio (80, 202, A, Premiata Montegranaro)
                2. Bulleri Massimo (77, 188, P, Armani Jeans Milano)
                3. Cavaliero Daniele (84, 188, P)
                4. Cinciarini Daniele (83, 194, G, Lottomatica Roma)
                5. Cittadini Alessandro (79, 207, C, Upim Bologna)
                6. Datome Luigi (87, 202, A, Montepaschi Siena)
                7. Di Giuliomaria Christian (79, 210, A/C, Snaidero Udine)
                8. Fantoni Tommaso (85, 203, A, Fastweb Casale Monferrato)
                9. Gallinari Danilo (88, 205, G, New York Knicks)
                10. Gigli Angelo (83, 209, A, Benetton Treviso)
                11. Hackett Daniel (87, 194, G, Usc Trojans)
                12. Mancinelli Stefano (83, 203, A, Upim Bologna)
                13. Michelori Andrea (78, 204, A)
                14. Mordente Marco (79, 193, P, Armani Jeans Milano)
                15. Poeta Giuseppe (85, 190, P, Bancatercas Teramo)
                16. Soragna Matteo (75, 199, A, Benetton Treviso)
                17. Vitali Luca (86, 201, G, Armani Jeans Milano)
                18. Zacchetti Joel (82, 208, A, Tisettanta Cantù)
                The schedule of Bormio's training camp:
                . training camp from July 19 to July in Bormio (Sondrio);
                · friendly matches against Israel on July 27 and against Poland on July 29 in Bormio;
                · international tournament with Israel, France, Poland and Italy from July 31 to August 2 in Bormio;
                · friendly match against France on August 5 in Bormio.
                "It's hard to play against players like Milan Gurovic who is able to change any situation"
                један је Гуровић Милан!
                Хвала богу на Дарку и Милану!

Comment

Originally posted by Hvala Milane
                  These are the players for Bormio's training camp:

1. Amoroso Valerio (80, 202, A, Premiata Montegranaro)
                  2. Bulleri Massimo (77, 188, P, Armani Jeans Milano)
                  3. Cavaliero Daniele (84, 188, P)
                  4. Cinciarini Daniele (83, 194, G, Lottomatica Roma)
                  5. Cittadini Alessandro (79, 207, C, Upim Bologna)
                  6. Datome Luigi (87, 202, A, Montepaschi Siena)
                  7. Di Giuliomaria Christian (79, 210, A/C, Snaidero Udine)
                  8. Fantoni Tommaso (85, 203, A, Fastweb Casale Monferrato)
                  9. Gallinari Danilo (88, 205, G, New York Knicks)
                  10. Gigli Angelo (83, 209, A, Benetton Treviso)
                  11. Hackett Daniel (87, 194, G, Usc Trojans)
                  12. Mancinelli Stefano (83, 203, A, Upim Bologna)
                  13. Michelori Andrea (78, 204, A)
                  14. Mordente Marco (79, 193, P, Armani Jeans Milano)
                  15. Poeta Giuseppe (85, 190, P, Bancatercas Teramo)
                  16. Soragna Matteo (75, 199, A, Benetton Treviso)
                  17. Vitali Luca (86, 201, G, Armani Jeans Milano)
                  18. Zacchetti Joel (82, 208, A, Tisettanta Cantù)
                  The schedule of Bormio's training camp:
                  . training camp from July 19 to July in Bormio (Sondrio);
                  · friendly matches against Israel on July 27 and against Poland on July 29 in Bormio;
                  · international tournament with Israel, France, Poland and Italy from July 31 to August 2 in Bormio;
                  · friendly match against France on August 5 in Bormio.
                  Oh my god...

Well, i don't know what to think... i'm surprised (upset) about the lack of any center (just PFs) in this team... Rocca, Maggioli, Crosariol, Marconato... all left at home, apparently.

It's hard to imagine this team competing against the much more physical Serbia... especially under the basket where, i fear, we'll be destroyed by the likes of Milicic, Krstic, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Toxicity
                    Oh my god...

Well, i don't know what to think... i'm surprised (upset) about the lack of any center (just PFs) in this team... Rocca, Maggioli, Crosariol, Marconato... all left at home, apparently.

It's hard to imagine this team competing against the much more physical Serbia... especially under the basket where, i fear, we'll be destroyed by the likes of Milicic, Krstic, etc...
                    Totally agree, because against a tough guy like Milicic Crosariol would have helped with his intimidation and ability to contest every shot and we all know that Darko goes mad if he can't find his way but Andrea still can't stay on court for many minutes because of foul trouble and lack of offensive moves. More skilled C like Maggioli and Marconato would have helped scoring some points without only layups, dunks or putbacks like in Crosariol's case but in defense I think also the actual Krstic would kill them easily, so we definitely needed Mason Richard since he can play hard defense (without blocking or contesting shots like the others I mentioned) denying easy position to his opponent and in offence he is a banger but he has some go to moves like sky hook and dropstep which often are successful.
                    "It's hard to play against players like Milan Gurovic who is able to change any situation"
                    један је Гуровић Милан!

Comment

Originally posted by Hvala Milane
                      Totally agree, because against a tough guy like Milicic Crosariol would have helped with his intimidation and ability to contest every shot and we all know that Darko goes mad if he can't find his way but Andrea still can't stay on court for many minutes because of foul trouble and lack of offensive moves. More skilled C like Maggioli and Marconato would have helped scoring some points without only layups, dunks or putbacks like in Crosariol's case but in defense I think also the actual Krstic would kill them easily, so we definitely needed Mason Richard since he can play hard defense (without blocking or contesting shots like the others I mentioned) denying easy position to his opponent and in offence he is a banger but he has some go to moves like sky hook and dropstep which often are successful.
                      I agree but i think Maggioli is the best center in Italy right now, especially on offense. I put him ahead of Marconato who can only score from outside while Michele has solid post moves... Rocca is the best defender on bigs we have (Stonerook is another guy i like but i don't think he'll play for NT anytime soon) but he's recovering from injury and he may be not ready for August.

Crosariol, beyond his usual inconsistency, should be in the NT because he's the only athletic and young 7-0 we have. Recalcati should know that...

I hate Recalcati.

Comment

I agree but i think Maggioli is the best center in Italy right now, especially on offense. I put him ahead of Marconato who can only score from outside while Michele has solid post moves... Rocca is the best defender on bigs we have (Stonerook is another guy i like but i don't think he'll play for NT anytime soon) but he's recovering from injury and he may be not ready for August.

Crosariol, beyond his usual inconsistency, should be in the NT because he's the only athletic and young 7-0 we have. Recalcati should know that...

I hate Recalcati.
                        I agree that Maggioli is our best offensive center by far but I've seen him playing sometimes this season and looked a bit uneffective in defense compared to the others because he doesn't play much phisically so he allows his opponents to shoot quite uncontested layups even if he's a good shot blocker and he isn't fast enough to defend effectively on pick and roll but this is a more common weakness. You also have to think that he played in the second league but I'd have given a chance to him too considering the lack of centers.
                        један је Гуровић Милан!

Comment

I hate Recalcati.
                          Who doesn't I daresay I still cannot understand how the Italian federation was able to re-sign him, oh well...
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Gallinari - 'I'm playing for Italy'

Danilo Gallinari has firmly declared he will be with Italy this summer for their EuroBasket qualifying games against Serbia, Hungary, Bulgaria and Finland.

The New York Knicks rookie, the sixth overall pick in last summer's NBA draft, is currently in America with the Knicks where he was set to make his debut on Monday with the team in the Las Vegas Summer League.

"Yes, I will go to Italy on the 21st (of July) straight after the Summer League," he said.

"I need to speak to (Italy coach) Charly Recalcati to find out if I will be able to get a couple of days to rest or not.

"In any case I will be with the national team, even though just as my other colleagues I am following the discussions between the FIP, Lega and the GIBA (Italian Players' Basketball Association)."

Italy's national team players are threatening to strike if a quota is not placed on the number of foreigners in the domestic league (Lega A).

The FIP, Lega A and GIBA will meet on Friday to see if an agreement can be reached in the dispute regarding foreign players quota with GIBA having threatened to go on strike.
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

Italian NT sucks all the way...

Recalcati, go home!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information