• Show
Clear All

• Brazil NT 2008

This is the preliminary list of players for the Olympic qualifier:

PG
    - Marcelinho Huertas (Bilbao - Spain)
    - Valter Silva "Valtinho" (Brasília)

SG
    - Leandro Barbosa "Leandrinho" (Phoenix Suns - USA)
    - Alex Garcia (Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel)
    - Marcelinho Machado (Flamengo)

SF
    - Guilherme Giovannoni (Bologna - Italy)
    - Marcus Toledo (Tarragona - Spain) not confuse with Marquinhos.

PF/C
    - Tiago Splitter (Tau Cerámica - Spain)
    - Nenê (Denver Nuggets - USA)
    - Anderson Varejão (Cleveland Cavaliers - USA)
    - Baby Araujo (Spartak St. Petersburg - Russia)
    - Murilo (Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel)
    - Paulão (Clínicas Rincón Axarquia - Spain)
    - JP Batista (Barons Riga - Latvia)

Other players from the South American Championship roster will be considered:

PG
    - Hélio (Flamengo)
    - Fúlvio (Paulistano)
    - Manteiguinha (Rio Claro)
    - Arthur (Brasília)

SG/SF
    - Jonathan Tavernari (BYU - NCAA)
    - Duda (Flamengo)
    - Diego (Rio Claro)
    - Dedé (Paulistano)
    - Shilton (Joinville)
    - Luiz Felipe (Franca)
    - William Drudi (Franca)
    - Guilherme Teichmann (Limeira)
    - Luis Felipe Gruber (Pamesa - Spain)
    - Lucas Cipolini (BYU Hawaii - NCAA)

PF/C:
    - Fernando Coloneze (Flamengo)
    - Rafael Hettsheimer (Akasvayu - Spain)
    - Caio Torres (Estudiantes - Spain)
    - Hatila Passos (New Mexico - NCAA)

Hello.
    Theres a brazilian player who play in the NCAA with Gonzaga,his name is Pargo i think.Hes just a great player!
    Proud to be Lebanese
    www.arabasket.com

Comment

Leandrinho one of the quickest guards in the world + super talented Tiago, Nene or 7 million dollar baby Varejao at PF... Sounds very good

Comment

Originally posted by Test[banned]
        Leandrinho one of the quickest guards in the world + super talented Tiago, Nene or 7 million dollar baby Varejao at PF... Sounds very good
        Indeed it does. And let's not forget Huertas and Garcia or the youngster Paulão (Paulo Prestes). It's a great team if you ask me, the best lineup in the history of Brazilian basketball. The things is they tend to underachieve, but with Monsalve now taking command of the NT, maybe things will turn out different.
        Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
        Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by daniab
          Hello.
          Theres a brazilian player who play in the NCAA with Gonzaga,his name is Pargo i think.Hes just a great player!
          He is not brazilian bro.
          Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
          16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
          Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
          8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

What about Marcus Vinicius?I didn't hear anything from him this year.Is he injured or something?

Comment

Originally posted by HABIBI
              What about Marcus Vinicius?I didn't hear anything from him this year.Is he injured or something?
              Check here.
              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
              Artificial Nature

Comment

Plus, Marquinhos was the center of a huge controversy last year, describing the rupture between players and coach, how nobody respected him, there's no way they would call him for the NT after that.

Comment

I don't care. If I were the coach, I would still want Vinicius on the team.

Still, Brazil's line-up seems to get better and better every year. They're stacked with big men. It's a shame they just can't "pull it together" and play better.
                  "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Bad news for Brazil NT. Not only Varejao is out because of injury; Nené also won't play, due to the Nuggets' requirement of rest and treatment after a particularly tough season.

Comment

Nene, Varejao out for the Olympic Qualifiers

From Canadian Press: link

Nuggets forward Nene will not play for Brazil's Olympic basketball squad

SAO PAULO, Brazil — Denver Nuggets forward Nene will not play for Brazil in Olympic qualifying because of injuries.
                      Nene's absence is a blow to Brazil's chances of reaching Beijing, as the team was already without Anderson Varejao of the Cleveland Cavaliers, who was injured in the NBA playoff series against the Boston Celtics.
                      The Nuggets' team doctor Steven Traina sent a letter Friday to the Brazilian Basketball Confederation explaining that Nene would require more time to recover after treatment for testicular cancer and other injuries. The Brazilians were hoping to have both Nene and Varejao for the Olympic qualifying tournament next month in Athens, Greece.
                      "This has been a difficult season for me," Nene said. "Not only on the technical side, but the emotional as well."
                      Brazil has not qualified for the Olympics in basketball since 1996.
                      http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
                      http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
                      http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Anderson Varejao won't be putting on a national team jersey: link

Anderson Varejao ruled out for Brazil because of injury
                        RIO DE JANEIRO (FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Men) - Brazil big man Anderson Varejao is not recovering quickly from the ankle and quadriceps injuries he picked up while playing for Cleveland in the NBA play-offs and will miss this summer’s FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Athens.

Varejao, who also missed last year’s FIBA Americas Championship because of his contract dispute with the Cavaliers, has been told by Cleveland doctors not to play in Greece.

“I’m shocked by the news,” he said. “I thought I was better and focused on recovering.

“It’s frustrating because it’s a very important moment for the national team. It’s important for me, too, as I have always been proud of defending my country.”

Anderson said he has already broken the news to his national team coach, Moncho Monsalve.

“I thanked Moncho for having named me and I wished him luck in this challenge. We really need this Olympic berth.”

Brazil are hoping to play at an Olympic Games for the first time in 12 years.

They are in Group A of the 12-team FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Athens with hosts Greece and Lebanon.

Only three places are up for grabs for Beijing at the event.

There are also injury concerns around Leandro Barbosa while it is still unclear if Nene, the Denver Nuggets center, will play.

He underwent an operation earlier this year for testicular cancer.

Comment

This is devestating news for Brazil. Varejao and Nene are two big, strong players, and this really undermines the beef factor that could make Brazil a great NT. They've still got Batista, Araujo, and Splitter, but losing Varejao and Nene hurts their defense and ability to foul. Bad news, man.
                          "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Does anyone know if Barbosa has confirmed whether he would be playing in the pre-Olympics?
                            I hope this gives the Lebanese Team a chance to try to pull an upset over Brazil (Brazil playing without Nene and Varejao) even though this still is a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80
                              Does anyone know if Barbosa has confirmed whether he would be playing in the pre-Olympics?
                              I hope this gives the Lebanese Team a chance to try to pull an upset over Brazil (Brazil playing without Nene and Varejao) even though this still is a long shot.
                              Theres talk flying around saying that Barbosa's knee is questionable and that makes him questionable for the tournament. Unlike Varejao and Nene, if Barbosa is healthy, he will play.

Stuart

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information