No announcement yet.

Olimpija in 2008/09 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be happy if he can add something like 6pts+4rbs+1blk every game.

Comment

Pre season tournament?

Hello everyone!

I've heard the team played in a tournament with high profile European teams recently--teams like Panathinaikos, Maccabi and Fenerbahce?

Any results, statistics, opinions, evaluations?

Thanks!

Comment

There are comments about this tournament in this thread you might want to check out.

You're probably interested in both Georgetown guys. Wallace seems a bit reserved at this moment, still doesn't have any troubles with ballhandling and obviously can nail a threepointer. He said he has a lot to learn, which generaly is an apreciated attitude when it comes to US "right out of NCAA" players.
        Crawford didn't receive that much playing time, but played well in those few minutes... I am staying optimistic regarding both of them. Wallace should maybee tighten up in defense a little bit, while both had some troubles with passing set screens. (...afterall... who doesn't vs. Batiste and Peković)
        Anyway, these are observations from Fenerbahce and Panathinaikos games which are one of the best teams in europe with the best players outside NBA and considering all those differences, cultural shock and all other issues NCAA players have to adapt when starting their career in europe it wouldn't be fair to evaluate them in one of their first appearances in eruoe-bball and especially vs. such a strong teams.
        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by RuleBook
          Hello everyone!

I've heard the team played in a tournament with high profile European teams recently--teams like Panathinaikos, Maccabi and Fenerbahce?

Any results, statistics, opinions, evaluations?

Thanks!
          Union Olimpija won the tournament hosted in Ljubljana (Slovenia) with two wins and one loss.

Union Olimpija : Fenerbahce Ülker 74:57 (53:43, 30:33, 17:10)
          Union Olimpija: Wallace 3, Ilievski 12 (2:2), Golubović 2, Crawford, Rudež 12 (8:14), Milič 18 (4:5), Hukić 14 (2:2), Begić 11 (3:4), Sarajlija, Sirnik, Zupan 2, Ožbolt.
          Fenerbahce Ülker: Green 5 (2:2), Turkcan 7, Basak 5, Giriček 15 (9:9), Mršić 3, Vidmar 6 (4:10), Demirel, Demir, Savas 10 (3:4), Smith 6, Cetin, Preldžič.

Union Olimpija : Panathinaikos 71:83 (25:15, 43:36, 55:62)
          Union Olimpija: Wallace 12, Ilievski 5, Golubović 6 (0:1), Crawford 9 (3:4), Rudež 12 (4:5), Milič 13 (3:4), Hukić, Begić 9 (3:5), Sarajlija, Sirnik, Zupan 3 (1:2), Ožbolt 2 (2:2).
          Panathinaikos: Kecman 6 (1:4), Spanulis 10 (2:2), Perperoglu 11 (2:2), Batiste 10 (2:2), Fotsis 11, Nicholas 16, Sartaris 7 (0:2), Diamantidis 2, Peković 8 (4:4), Šakota 1 (1:2), Jasikevičius.

Union Olimpija : Maccabi Tel Aviv 83:81 (27:15, 48:29, 68:55).
          Union Olimpija: Wallace, Ilievski 15 (6:6), Golubović 16 (6:8), Crawford, Rudež 14 (4:4), Milič 17 (4:4), Begić 9 (1:1), Sarajlija, Sirnik, Zupan 4 (2:2), Ožbolt 8.
          Maccabi Tel Aviv: White 10 (2:2), Sharp, Arroyo 15 (4:4), Eliyahu 17 (1:1), Green, Burstein 7 (3:3), Simmons 2, Williams 4, Casspi 16, Batista 6 (4:6), Fischer 4.

Georgetown guys need at least one or two more months to adapt to European style of basketball, in my opinion. Wallace showed himself in a bit too soft way for my taste, while Crawford didn't do much (didn't get much minutes) to judge him yet.

Wallace will be a solid backup to our main playmaker Vlado Ilievski, but I expect from Wallace to be more aggressive in defense and also contribute more to the offense of the team. I had a feeling that he was very nervous, probably due the fact that he was first time playing at this kind of level - inexperience, but still, he should have been more dangerous for the basket.

Crawford will sign (or already signed) a two months contract in upcoming days (Jaka Klobučar (SG/SF is out with an injury for two months).

Preparation games are over, Union Olimpija played 10 games, won 8, lost 2 of them.

Union Olimpija - Elektra Esotech 86:66
          Union Olimpija - Azovmash Mariupol 66:77
          Union Olimpija - Ural Great 77:68
          Union Olimpija - Cedevita Zagreb 94:76
          Union Olimpija - Triumph Moscow Region 66:55
          Union Olimpija - Rudar Velenje 79:72
          Union Olimpija - Helios Domžale 67:56
          Union Olimpija - Fenerbahce Ulker 74:57
          Union Olimpija - Panathinaikos Athens 71:83
          Union Olimpija - Maccabi Tel Aviv 83:81

During this time Union Olimpija also won Slovenian Supercup (game vs. Helios Domžale), but this still counts as an "unofficial" trophy, so it's included into preparation plan.

Roster for 2008/2009 season:

PG: Vlado Ilievski - Jonathan Wallace - Mirza Sarajlija
          SG: Sašo Ožbolt - Jaka Klobučar - Tyler Crawford
          SF: Jasmin Hukić - Damjan Rudež - Matic Sirnik
          PF: Marko Milič - Miha Zupan
          C: Vladimir Golubović - Mirza Begić - Dejan Radojević

Comment

Its really amazing what Džikic was able to do with Begić in only one off season simply amazing he is like a different player.

Also i love the fire power Olimpija added with Ilievski, Golubovič and Rudež. Last year we only had Milič and Hukič. Also i feel that Wallace and Crawford are playing scared still when they get more comfortable with their roles they will be good. Wallace can really knock down some shots, and Crawford is useful in a lot of different ways be it hustle on defense or getting the offensive board i like what i saw in the limited minutes.

Also Ožbolt did some great stuff on defense and i loved the 1 3 1 zone from Olimpija it was fierce.

I am definitely buying my season euroleague tickets in advance because i have a feeling that we are gonna win some games and every time Olimpija is wining its impossible to get good tickets.
            My homage to The heroes:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFlzU14Ivs

Comment

I am a Fenerbahce fan but i also like Olimpija team, they are one of my favourites in European basketball. That is a little bit about Milic and mostly about the things and the way that they are trying to do... NBA is not the only threat for European basketball any more, budgets and salaries are also going crazy in Europe. European basketball needs teams like Olimpija, Zalgiris, Cibona or Partizan. Olimpija seems really strong this year, the most exciting Olimpija team in recent years... They have a good mixture of youngsters like Rudez, Golubovic and Klobucar and experienced names like Milic, Hukic and Ilievski. It will be quite difficult this time to support them due to being in the same group with Fenerbahce but i hope both will qualify for the next round. Milic has lots of fans here and i really know many people that have same ideas with me about Olimpija and Milic. It will be interesting to see him in Turkey again, as i said, he still has lots of fans here and the owner of this post is just one of them...
              Blog

Comment

There are rumours that Olimpija will loan Romel Beck from Zadar.
                My blog about european hoops http://insidehoops.blog.com

Comment

I don't see that happening (money wise I don't think Olimpija can afford him), but if he comes and doesn't cause any problmes in the lockerroom he'll be an amazing signing. He'd be an amazing solution for our SG problems and that would mean that Crawford is leaving.

With him and good chemistry in the team TOP16 of Euroleague would be more than just possibility.

Comment

Goran Bodiroga (1993) is playing in Olimpija junior team. He is from Trebinje (Bosnia) and he has family links with Dejan Bodiroga.
                    The promissing Djordje Micic (1993) is also a Serb from Bosnia.

Will they decide to play for Bosnia, Serbia or Slovenia (such as the young serbian center Radojevic who was due to play the last U20 european championship, but missed it cause he was injured)?
                    The fact that Olimpija's coach is serb (Dzikic), so if they are very talented, serbian federation will probably call them.

Comment

• Micic will play for Slovenian cadets
                      UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlbionGate
                        Goran Bodiroga (1993) is playing in Olimpija junior team. He is from Trebinje (Bosnia) and he has family links with Dejan Bodiroga.
                        The promissing Djordje Micic (1993) is also a Serb from Bosnia.

Will they decide to play for Bosnia, Serbia or Slovenia (such as the young serbian center Radojevic who was due to play the last U20 european championship, but missed it cause he was injured)?
                        The fact that Olimpija's coach is serb (Dzikic), so if they are very talented, serbian federation will probably call them.
                        Mičić already played for U16 BiH NT (U16 doesn't count so he can still be called for Serbian U18).

It's interesting, Olimpija junior team also has besides those two already mentioned Bosnian Filip Petrović (1993) (already played for U16 BiH NT), Tomas Selmani (Albanian from Kosovo!), Erjon Kastrati (Albanian from Kosovo!), Tomasz Nowakowski (Polish), Mladen Lončarević (don't know where he is from), Bojan Radulović (Serbian), etc.

We "imported" quite some players from Balkan area, probably due to Dragan Janjić who works as Olimpija's scout (Serbian scout). We'll see if we manage to produce any quality players for first team...

Originally posted by Srle
                        Micic will play for Slovenian cadets
                        Could happen, why not?

Comment

• Turkbasket.com wrote that Union Olimpija (and also Red Star) interested in signing of Capo d'Orlando player Drake Diener. Is there anything about it?

Edit: Sorry, i didn't see that Elaj wrote about it on EL thread. Most probably the source of Turkbasket was his post.
                          Blog

Comment

• majko mila kakvih debila

Originally posted by elaj
                            Mičić already played for U16 BiH NT (U16 doesn't count so he can still be called for Serbian U18).

It's interesting, Olimpija junior team also has besides those two already mentioned Bosnian Filip Petrović (1993) (already played for U16 BiH NT), Tomas Selmani (Albanian from Kosovo!), Erjon Kastrati (Albanian from Kosovo!), Tomasz Nowakowski (Polish), Mladen Lončarević (don't know where he is from), Bojan Radulović (Serbian), etc.

We "imported" quite some players from Balkan area, probably due to Dragan Janjić who works as Olimpija's scout (Serbian scout). We'll see if we manage to produce any quality players for first team...

Could happen, why not?
                            Cut a crap

I am reading this forum from time to time and I have noticed that you always write some total nonsense and try to pursue other that idea in your head is a fact.

Thomas Selmani is from Postojna where he played for clubs U-14 selection. Any idiot who follows slovenian pre-selection in younger categories knows that.

Except you

As far as I know, Djordje Micic didn't play for Olimpija juniors against Ilirija juniors on Wednesday. In 1. slovenian junior league you can have 2 players with special status (in other terms foreign players ).

Most of those guys probably will never play for senior team. Just a small hint, Ilirija junior team has registrated similar former Olimpija prospect Pandi Bukleski (last year already candidate for U18 macedonian selection) , who is now probably injured.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veliki_AS
                              Cut a crap
                              You are always welcome to share your opinion and if you know better... just share it. On behalf of IBN I'm inviting you to become a regular poster on this forum...

Originally posted by Veliki_AS
                              As far as I know, Djordje Micic didn't play for Olimpija juniors against Ilirija juniors on Wednesday. In 1. slovenian junior league you can have 2 players with special status (in other terms foreign players ).
                              Again, I heard (again, this is not confirmed, but you as such expert should know such stuff, right?!) FIBA is making some problems with his transfer, but Mičić is already in Ljubljana practising with the team.

Thomas Selmani is from Postojna where he played for clubs U-14 selection. Any idiot who follows slovenian pre-selection in younger categories knows that.
                              I was speaking with Olimpija official about Selmani and other guys (I don't follow much U14 selection, I would like to though?) and he said he is Albanian from Kosovo, if he isn't I guess even in Olimpija they don't know who are they having in the club.

Except you
                              Yeah, I am really ashamed of my U14 knowledge.

I am reading this forum from time to time and I have noticed that you always write some total nonsense and try to pursue other that idea in your head is a fact.
                              Hey, I try to be informative and if you have better informations than me post them for god sake! Change my opinion. I am just sharing my opinion/informations with others, is that something wrong about?

Originally posted by MarkoMilic
                              Turkbasket.com wrote that Union Olimpija (and also Red Star) interested in signing of Capo d'Orlando player Drake Diener. Is there anything about it?

Edit: Sorry, i didn't see that Elaj wrote about it on EL thread. Most probably the source of Turkbasket was his post.
                              My source wasn't Turkbasket... but anyway, Olimpija denied interest in Diener, they said they were interested, but player wanted too much money.
                              Last edited by elaj; 10-03-2008, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by elaj
                                My source wasn't Turkbasket... but anyway, Olimpija denied interest in Diener, they said they were interested, but player wanted too much money.
                                No, i meant that Turkbasket most probably used your post and made a new about Drake Diener...
                                Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information