This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ajaxballer
    Wow, Canada got a close victory over Korea lol. I was so scared Korea would pull off the upset, it shows you can't take any team lightly.
    Yeah man that was a close one!
    Canada had to work their butts off in the second half to close the 16 point deficit that they got themselves into.
    They definitely can't afford to do any mistakes like that in the quarterfinals.

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80
      Yeah man that was a close one!
      Canada had to work their butts off in the second half to close the 16 point deficit that they got themselves into.
      They definitely can't afford to do any mistakes like that in the quarterfinals.
      Throughout most of the game Canada's defense was horrible, they weren't closing out shooters and korea was on fire. Canada was also sloppy offensively, not much ball movement. Canada only won because of rebounds and steals, those were the biggest factors.

Comment

Tough luck for Canada (After losing to 83-62 to Croatia).
        Hopefully in the upcoming tournaments u won't have any issues between the coach and players that would negatively affect the team like during these pre-Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
          In a recent interview alongside his dad Andy Rautins claimed that if he had to pick a favorite for the qualification to the Olympics
          A. Rautins finishes the tournament with 7 points and 8 fouls.
          Originally posted by Fedfan
          Most ppl get childish when they lose.
          Originally posted by GuTO
          refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

I think Team Canada need to add Devoe Joseph in the 2010 FIBA World Championship because he was one of the best player in last years FIBA U19 World Championship.

He is only 19 yrs.old, and he also have the potential to make it in the NBA in the near future.

2007 FIBA U19 Stats

22.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.25 spg, 40.7 FG%, 73.3 FT%

The Canadian National Phenom

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Canada has a lot of young talent. The problem is the coaching and politics. A lot of bridges have been burnt between the National program and our top upcoming players. I've been saying for a while that Canada needs a foreign coach that won't let politics interfere with our national team.

Comment

Hi. Anybody knows player from Canada Brad Roots or something like this? I need info about him. Can you help me? Thanks a lot!

P.S. Olu Famutimi is great!
                Euroleague advanced stats and analytics

basket-stats.net

Comment

RAUTINS, TRIANO REMEMBER 1980 MOSCOW OLYMPICS - BY LORI EWING, THE CANADIAN PRESS
                  Last Updated: April 07, 2008

TORONTO - When Canada decided to boycott the 1980 Moscow Olympics, Jay Triano couldn't fathom the thought of another four years spent sweating in the gym to get back to the Games.

So he returned to Simon Fraser University to play football.

Triano, now an assistant coach with the Toronto Raptors, and Leo Rautins, Canada's national men's coach and a Raptors TV analyst, were both members of the Olympic men's team that never made it to Moscow.

The decision to stay home became a defining moment in their careers. Rautins would never play in an Olympics. Triano lost interest in basketball for a while.

Now, amid rumblings about boycotts of this summer's Beijing Olympics, both say they believe skipping Moscow may have been the wrong call.

"It served no purpose," Rautins said. "In my opinion, it accomplished nothing. The athletes basically became the pawns and it really didn't do anything. Everything we did for four years was to gear up for that, and then all of a sudden it was gone."

Recent bloodshed in Tibet has human rights activists and some politicians calling for a boycott of the Beijing Olympics.

Pro-Tibetan activists held a rally on Parliament Hill demanding a Canadian boycott, although Canadian Olympic Committee officials have said they're not considering it.

The Belgian government, though, has said it wouldn't rule out a boycott, while French president Nicolas Sarkozy suggested boycotting the opening ceremonies was a possibility.

In 1980, U.S. President Jimmy Carter led calls for an international boycott of the Moscow Games to protest the Soviet Union's invasion of Afghanistan. Canada's then-Liberal government supported Carter along with the opposition Conservatives, and on April 23, then-external affairs minister Mark McGuigan told the House of Commons that Canada would not participate in the Games.

"We were at the qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico when we started hearing about the different rumblings," Triano said. "I think it was right before our final game, and we had already secured a spot (for the Olympics), when we heard there was a good chance we would not be going."

"The thing that bothered me is. . . the Afghanistan athletes (11 of them) went to the Olympics in Moscow," Triano added. "We thought what (the Russians) were doing was wrong, but the country they were doing it to didn't think it was wrong enough not to send their athletes to the Games."

Men's basketball, coached by the late Jack Donohue, was the only Canadian team that qualified for Moscow. When the Canadians pulled out, Brazil was bumped up to take their spot _ the Brazilians went on to finish fifth.

"By many accounts, that might have been one of the best teams Canada's ever had, so we were pretty optimistic that we could win a medal," Rautins said.

"We peaked at the right time, we had gone to Puerto Rico for the Olympic qualifying tournament, got on a little bit of a roll," Triano said. "Who knows what would have happened? We definitely had something pretty special at the time."

Instead of battling for a medal in Moscow, the Canadians were flown to Toronto and put up at the Royal York Hotel for two days. They were feted with a dinner, offered tickets to a hockey game and attended a concert in their honour featuring Gordon Lightfoot and Harry Chapin.

Small consolation.

Triano went back to SFU, but had trouble finding motivation to play basketball, so he signed on with the school's football team in his senior season.

"I had a hard time seeing four years down the road,'' Triano said. ``I'm not as bitter about it now because I did get to play in two more Olympics ('84 and '88), and coached in one (2000). But had that been my one shot, I think I'd still be bitter."

Moscow was Rautins' one shot. The former Syracuse star went pro in 1983, drafted 17th overall by the Philadelphia 76ers, and the Olympics didn't allow professionals at that time.

"It ended up being a defining point in my career, because 1980 was my best shot," said Rautins, who was on the '92 Canadian team that failed to qualify for the Barcelona Games. "And even though guys like Jay went on to play on other Olympic teams, there was something special about that team, it had everything you want on a team, the chemistry was unbelievable."

Triano and Rautins were among 212 Canadian athletes named to the 1980 Olympic team.

"I felt bad for the guys who never got to play in another Olympic Games," Triano said. "I was young enough where it became my goal to overcome it and see if I could play in another one. But I felt bad for the guys who, it was their only shot."

And it's tough enough to qualify for one Olympic Games, let alone two.

"I felt bad for other athletes," Triano said. "For example, there's a certain timeframe for gymnasts, where they're in their prime and it can't happen over two Olympics. Same thing for swimmers. . . I felt bad for those types of athletes who trained, some of them, their whole lifetime for the experience of competing in the Olympic Games."

Rautins' Canadian squad _ including his son Andy, a point guard at Syracuse _ is in the hunt for a berth at the Beijing Games. The Canadians have to finish top three at a last-chance qualifying tournament in Athens in July.

Meanwhile, the world continues to watch, waiting to see how China deals with the recent unrest in Tibet.

"My whole gripe is, where were all the political people when they chose the venue?" Rautins said. "Why are they coming out now when the only people who will get hurt by this are the athletes.

"Athletes have a voice, so go (to Beijing), perform and if you want to make a political statement, use your voice at that time to challenge human rights, whatever issues may come forth, whatever they see first-hand _ use that opportunity to make a statement."

NOTES: Edmonton's Mangisto Arop led Canada's National Elite Development Academy (NEDA) boys team to a fifth-place finish at the prestigious Albert Schweitzer Tournament in Mannheim, Germany. Arop averaged 21 points and 11 rebounds in the tournament, which is considered the ``unofficial under-18 world championships.'' Canada defeated Russia 74-48 and then Australia 66-53, before routing Argentina 80-54 to finish fifth.
                  <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

Comment

CAN – Dalembert still upset after being kicked off Team Canada

TORONTO (National team) – One of the more bizarre episodes to occur in international basketball this summer happened at the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Athens, when Canada coach Leo Rautins booted center Samuel Dalembert off the team.

Dalembert struggled in a blowout defeat to Slovenia and the following day, with the team about to depart for the arena to take on Korea, sparks flew.

"I was already on the bus, sitting down, and he (Rautins) asked to talk to me," Dalembert said in remarks published on Canada Basketball’s official website.

"The timing was very bad. Stuff was going on. Stuff he said to me, I talked back. After that, there was a gesture that he made that really upset me.

"After that we started talking, and things escalated.

"I was playing for me. I was playing for Canada. But obviously the bus wasn't going to leave if I didn't get off the bus. So I made the decision to get off the bus."

Without Dalembert, Canada fell behind against Korea but came back and won, only to then crash to a big defeat to Croatia in the knockout stage.

After the win over Korea, Rautins had said to FIBA.com: "Without getting into too many details, we decided to move forward with the players that we felt had the passion and desire to be here and play for Canada and that’s about it, in a nutshell.

"It’s disappointing, for sure, but we have to have players who are 100% committed to it. If they’re not, it’s not going to happen for us."

The Canada Basketball website said that Rautins called Dalembert a "prima donna" and added that the player had distanced himself from the rest of the team.

Rautins also revealed the players were unanimous in their agreement to move forward without Dalembert.

Dalembert, who travelled to Toronto at the weekend with Philadelphia taking on the Raptors in a pre-season game, says he won’t be coming back as long as Rautins remains in charge.

"I will say no," Dalembert said.

"You never know. You get one slap; you don't know when you're going to get another slap again. I'm not ready for that."

Rautins is under contract with Canada until the end of 2008 and it’s not known if he will remain in charge.

Wayne Parrish, the executive director of the national basketball organization, has been trying to calm down the situation and Dalembert claimed he had received an apology from him.

"What happened in the summer was unfortunate," Parrish said.

"But my hope is over the next six to eight to 10 months we can resolve this in a good way. It's important that the lines of communication are open with Sam and I, and I know Leo feels the same way."
                    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Leo is such a bad coach. He was good at getting a group of talented guys together but equally good at alienating them. Denham Brown, Juan Mendez and Sam Dalembert were missing from this past summers team. Canada definitely needs a new coach, we actually did better with Triano and he had a much shallower group of players. The best solution is to hire a European coach and get a group of guys to stay committed. The good thing about the players we have is that they are hungry, many of them are hoping for a second NBA opportunity. IMO new coach = qualifying for 2010 world championships.

Comment

Captain Canada

When Nash decides to call it a career, who can be his successor? Captain Canada is the face of Canadian Hoops.

Comment

I'd have to go with Tristan Thompson, he's starting gr. 11 in the U.S and he's ranked 1 in his class by some scouting websites. Hes also been committed to Texas since gr. 10.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahol982yIJo

Comment

The Canadian NT is almost as much of a mess as the Canadian political system right now - ALMOST.

Comment

CAN/ITA – Canada call on Italy’s Gherardini in bid to reach the top

TORONTO (Canada Basketball) - The Toronto Raptors turned to former Benetton Treviso general manager Maurizio Gherardini because of his hoops expertise and now the governing body for basketball in Canada has done the same.

Canada Basketball have this week made Gherardini managing director of the senior men’s program.

The move is similar to the one made by USA Basketball in 2005 which put Jerry Colangelo in charge of the men's national team.

Raptors vice president and assistant general manager Gherardini, who works alongside Colangelo’s son and Toronto president Bryan Colangelo, said: "I'm very excited about this opportunity to work with Canada Basketball and hope I can add a different perspective to the picture.

“It’ll be challenging, but we all know it's never easy and we need everybody's support.”

Gherardini was in Athens this summer watching Canada when they and 11 other sides competed in the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

The Canadians had high hopes going into the event but Greece, Croatia and Germany captured the three spots that were up for grabs for the Beijing Games.

Canada have nevertheless decided to sign national team coach Leo Rautins to a two-year extension.

Rautins, a former Canada player who serves as the color analyst on television for the Toronto Raptors, said: "I am thrilled with the opportunity to continue to build our programs.

“It has been, and continues to be, a great honor for me to represent my country as the head coach of our senior men's team.

"To be a part of what we are trying to accomplish is very exciting - from developing our young players to working with the new people on board that are united in overcoming the obstacles we face to build a world class program."

Canada extended the contract of women's coach Allison McNeill for two years as well.

Canada Basketball have also created a nine-member Council of Excellence, which Gherardini is a member of.

The body will serve as an advisory committee for the men's and women's national programs.

The Phoenix Suns’ veteran point guard Steve Nash, a two-time NBA MVP who played for Canada, will be joining the council as an Honorary Member.

Raptors coach and former national team player and boss Jay Triano is in the group, as well as what Canada Basketball called "Legendary Canadian university and national basketball coaches Don McCrae and Kathy Shields".

Former Canada coaches Ken Shields and Steve Konchalski are on the council, along with Glen Grunwald - the New York Knicks’ Senior Vice-President for Basketball Operations - and Sylvia Sweeney.

Sweeney was the star of Canada's bronze-medal winning side at the 1979 FIBA World Championship for Women and was named MVP of that event.
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

UKR/CAN – Canada’s Olu Famutimi takes center-stage in Ukraine

YUZHNY (Superleague) – Canada international Olu Famutimi made some headlines last year by playing at the EuroCup All-Star Game in Cyprus and later representing Canada at the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

The excellent defender is now raising eyebrows with Ukrainian outfit Khimik Yuzhny.

Famutimi poured in a game-high 19 points, adding seven rebounds and three steals, to lead Khimik to a 64-61 triumph over Pulsar on Saturday.

Famutimi gave this interview to Oleksiy Naumov on behalf of FIBA.com.

FIBA: Olu, your team went through some big changes in recent days. The club axed Goran Cakic, Sasa Bratic, Marton Bader, Jarrius Jackson and Olexandr Korochkin from the roster following a heavy EuroChallenge defeat at Galatasaray in Turkey. What are your feelings about the whole situation?

Olu Famutimi: As a player, I’m going to keep on playing regardless of what the situation is. They were real good friends to me and I’m going to miss them. But everybody always tells me that’s how this business is and that’s how life is, so you just have to keep on playing.

FIBA: You took the initiative every time Pulsar got close to Khimik. Did you have any special instruction from the coach?

Olu Famutimi: That’s what the coach wants us to do from now on, especially me and [Wykeen] Kelly and [Andriy] Agafonov. We have a lot of players that have never been in this position, so we have to take the initiative and go ahead and produce, especially in those crucial minutes.

FIBA: You tried to cheer Olexander Sabutskiy up after he made some bad mistakes in the deciding moments, which could have cost you the game.

Olu Famutimi: At that moment, I was disappointed, but I also thought we still had a chance to win. So I had to actually embrace him to let him know that “Okay, you messed up, but next time you can’t do the same thing again”. Right now, they are still young and have the potential to be superstars in the future, so it’s better for them to learn it now.

FIBA: What are you thinking about during the pre-game warm-ups? Also, do you listen to the national anthem of Ukraine?

Olu Famutimi: When I first came into the league I could not understand what it meant. I still don’t. I really don’t think about anything other than the game, especially before the game.

FIBA: What has the experience been for you here in the Superleague?

Olu Famutimi: It’s been great. I don’t think during my career of basketball that I had fans that were as supportive as these. They came out here, drove 12 hours just to see us play even though they knew that we had a smaller team (roster) than before. So I just thank God that he put me in this position.

FIBA: Dijon Thompson of Azovmash named you as the most difficult defender to play against here in the Superleague in his recent interview. Who is it most difficult for you to guard and who is it most difficult to play against.

Olu Famutimi: [Ukraine international] Serhiy Gladyr is the most difficult to guard. He’s very good. Just give him a split second and he’ll shoot. He’s very talented. The person that guards me… I don’t know, I don’t notice them. I think the most competition I have is actually in practice, because my teammates see me every day and know what I’m going to do. Offensively in real games I don’t really pressure myself into scoring. I just shoot when I have to, pass when I have to. That’s how I play.

FIBA: High-flying is your trade-mark. Did you have to work hard to be able to do that?

Olu Famutimi: It’s all natural, that’s what God blessed me with and I try to use it to my advantage.

FIBA: Well, good luck to you, Olu, for the remainder of the season.
                                Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information