Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada National Team

I did some research and the Canadian team that Lebanon beat in 2006 was much weaker than the team we have now. We didn't have Dalembert, Denham Brown, Olu Famutimi, Juan Mendez and Rowan Barrett.

Lebanon has had some big upsets in the past so it should be a competitive game.

Canada beats New Zealand 90-63 in the second game. Barrett scored 19 (5-8 on three-pointers), and Levon Kendall had 16. Dalembert only played a few minutes (resting him?) but it sounds like Kendall played well in his absence.

Penney had 26 for NZ but didn't get much help.

Kings, you got a box score for NZ getting beaten by Canada? Not the result I was after, but heck when the team still treats Pero Cameron as a superstar, not much is going to change...
    Anyhow, why you all beating up on Nash, is he skipping to Olympics totally, or just qualifying? Man I wish NZ had a player as good as Delambert ...

Default Rautins slams officiating after Canada loss

Rautins slams officiating after Canada loss
    The Canadian Press
    7/11/2008 6:25:01 PM

Text SizeMANNHEIM, Germany - If every game is a learning experience for Canada's men's basketball team, Friday's loss to Germany was a lesson in questionable officiating, according to coach Leo Rautins.

The Canadians fell 84-74 to Germany to split their two-game exhibition series. It was Canada's final game before the team opens the FIBA Olympic qualifying tournament Tuesday in Athens, Greece.

"Everything you could imagine happened," Rautins said in a conference call after the game. "I've never seen more travel calls in a game in my life against us, blocks. . . All I can say is I'm just going to tell you what was told to me by German officials, the head of the scorers table told me it was an embarrassment. That kind of sums it up."

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki scored 25 points to lead Germany for the second straight game, while Jan-Hendrik Jagla chipped in with 12 points and nine rebounds.

Philadelphia 76ers centre Samuel Dalembert led the way for the Canadians with 12 points and eight rebounds while starting point guard Jermaine Anderson shot 4-for-6 from the field, including three three-pointers to finish with 11 points and two assists.

"They battled through absolutely everything that could be thrown at them, and they still made it a competitive game where they were actually within striking distance with a few minutes to go until it was decided by factors outside of the players on the floor," Rautins said.

Canada's frontcourt found itself in foul trouble for much of the match, with Dalembert, Rans Brempong and Levon Kendall fouling out of the game. Miami Heat forward Joel Anthony finished with four fouls.

"At times it's kind of demoralizing because you're fighting hard and you're trying to get a rebound and the ref's calling a foul," Anderson said. "But it's something that you have to fight through, especially for guys like Sam and Joel, who play in the NBA and are not used to refs cheating and things like that.

"It's a learning experience for pretty much everybody."

Rautins divided the playing time, with eight players logging 10 minutes or more for the Canadians.

Rautins' son Andy sat out the game to rest a jammed thumb suffered in the team's previous meeting with Germany - a 91-86 Canadian victory on Wednesday.

Rautins said forward Jesse Young likely won't play at all in the Olympic qualifying tournament due a severe charley-horse.

"He'll be on the team going to China, but right now I don't think he's going to be able to play (in Greece)," Rautins said.

Aaron Doornekamp has taken Young's place in the lineup.

Germany's newest import, Los Angeles Clippers centre Chris Kaman, did not play.

The Canadians were scheduled to travel to Athens on Saturday. They open the 12-country last chance qualifying tournament Tuesday against Slovenia. South Korea is also in their pool.

Canada must finish top-three to earn its berth Olympic berth since a seventh-place finish at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
    Looks like the Canadians were victimized by biased officiating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine Anderson
    But it's something that you have to fight through, especially for guys like Sam and Joel, who play in the NBA and are not used to refs cheating and things like that.

Senior Member Juan Carlos Nadal's Avatar

In a recent interview alongside his dad Andy Rautins claimed that if he had to pick a favorite for the qualification to the Olympics he would have chosen Canada. Easy on the maple syrup dude! Have you watched any international ball recently, or perhaps, ever? My question would be, how confident are the Canadian team for this event? What are the expectations back home?

Default Slovenia Slaughter Canada

FIBA - News

ATHENS (FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Men) - Slovenia sent out a loud message about their intentions of claiming a spot at the Beijing Games with an 86-70 rout of Canada on the second day of the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Athens.

Jaka Lakovic poured in 16 of his game-high 19 points in the first quarter and Slovenia shut down Canada to earn a place in the quarter-finals.

Canada, who got 16 points from veteran guard Rowan Barrett, must now beat Korea on Wednesday to clinch the other last-eight place that goes to Group C.

"We still have the goal in front of us, it's still achievable," Barrett said.

"We just have to regroup, stay positive and come and get the win tomorrow."

Slovenia trailed 15-9 just past the midway point of the opening quarter but finished the frame with a 27-22 lead.

They led by as many as nine in the second quarter before taking a 41-34 lead to half-time.

By the end of the third quarter, Slovenia had extended their advantage to 64-49 and there was no way back for their opponents, with Pipan's team putting the clamps on the Canadian shooters.

Canada were just four of 13 from long range and 20 of 47 inside the arc.

"A lot of their game is based on outside shots, so we were really focused on not letting them get into a comfort zone," Slovenia captain Rasho Nesterovic said.

Meanwhile, Slovenia gave Canada fits with their pick-and-roll and constant ball movement.

Nesterovic is hoping that there will be no doubters in Slovenia, now. The national team won three games at the Alpos Cup in Maribor and have now clinched two straight wins in Athens.

"Every year, we have a better and better group of guys, and it's much easier to play when you have 12 guys who are willing to do something that is needed to reach our goal," Nesterovic said.

"We need to forget these two games, though. This was our goal, but now we have to get ready for Friday."

Canada must get ready for Korea.

"We have a few new components in our team, but I think we're better than what we showed today," Barrett said.

Slovenia were so good on Tuesday that Lakovic, the Barcelona point guard, only played close to 21 minutes.

Sani Becirovic is the other veteran playmaker in the team and he had 15 points.

Everyone was outstanding at the line, with Lakovic a perfect eight of eight and Becirovic 11 of 11.

Nesterovic had 14 points and nine rebounds while Uros Slokar scored 10 and grabbed five boards.

Ales Pipan got a huge lift from his bench, with Emir Preldzic showing his great promise with eight points.
    Canada played a lousy game without Steve Nash in the team and it was a sleeper. They need to play better against the South Koreans.

Wow, Canada got a close victory over Korea lol. I was so scared Korea would pull off the upset, it shows you can't take any team lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxballer
    Wow, Canada got a close victory over Korea lol. I was so scared Korea would pull off the upset, it shows you can't take any team lightly.
    Yeah man that was a close one!
    Canada had to work their butts off in the second half to close the 16 point deficit that they got themselves into.
    They definitely can't afford to do any mistakes like that in the quarterfinals.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80
    Yeah man that was a close one!
    Canada had to work their butts off in the second half to close the 16 point deficit that they got themselves into.
    They definitely can't afford to do any mistakes like that in the quarterfinals.
    Throughout most of the game Canada's defense was horrible, they weren't closing out shooters and korea was on fire. Canada was also sloppy offensively, not much ball movement. Canada only won because of rebounds and steals, those were the biggest factors.

Tough luck for Canada (After losing to 83-62 to Croatia).
    Hopefully in the upcoming tournaments u won't have any issues between the coach and players that would negatively affect the team like during these pre-Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
    In a recent interview alongside his dad Andy Rautins claimed that if he had to pick a favorite for the qualification to the Olympics
    A. Rautins finishes the tournament with 7 points and 8 fouls.

I think Team Canada need to add Devoe Joseph in the 2010 FIBA World Championship because he was one of the best player in last years FIBA U19 World Championship.

He is only 19 yrs.old, and he also have the potential to make it in the NBA in the near future.

2007 FIBA U19 Stats

22.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.25 spg, 40.7 FG%, 73.3 FT%

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/07/..._playStat.html

The Canadian National Phenom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M3zRorrcMs&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J4K859vvHM&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_LEob_DaMo&fmt=18

Canada has a lot of young talent. The problem is the coaching and politics. A lot of bridges have been burnt between the National program and our top upcoming players. I've been saying for a while that Canada needs a foreign coach that won't let politics interfere with our national team.

Hi. Anybody knows player from Canada Brad Roots or something like this? I need info about him. Can you help me? Thanks a lot!

P.S. Olu Famutimi is great!

RAUTINS, TRIANO REMEMBER 1980 MOSCOW OLYMPICS - BY LORI EWING, THE CANADIAN PRESS
    Last Updated: April 07, 2008

TORONTO - When Canada decided to boycott the 1980 Moscow Olympics, Jay Triano couldn't fathom the thought of another four years spent sweating in the gym to get back to the Games.

So he returned to Simon Fraser University to play football.

Triano, now an assistant coach with the Toronto Raptors, and Leo Rautins, Canada's national men's coach and a Raptors TV analyst, were both members of the Olympic men's team that never made it to Moscow.

The decision to stay home became a defining moment in their careers. Rautins would never play in an Olympics. Triano lost interest in basketball for a while.

Now, amid rumblings about boycotts of this summer's Beijing Olympics, both say they believe skipping Moscow may have been the wrong call.

"It served no purpose," Rautins said. "In my opinion, it accomplished nothing. The athletes basically became the pawns and it really didn't do anything. Everything we did for four years was to gear up for that, and then all of a sudden it was gone."

Recent bloodshed in Tibet has human rights activists and some politicians calling for a boycott of the Beijing Olympics.

Pro-Tibetan activists held a rally on Parliament Hill demanding a Canadian boycott, although Canadian Olympic Committee officials have said they're not considering it.

The Belgian government, though, has said it wouldn't rule out a boycott, while French president Nicolas Sarkozy suggested boycotting the opening ceremonies was a possibility.

In 1980, U.S. President Jimmy Carter led calls for an international boycott of the Moscow Games to protest the Soviet Union's invasion of Afghanistan. Canada's then-Liberal government supported Carter along with the opposition Conservatives, and on April 23, then-external affairs minister Mark McGuigan told the House of Commons that Canada would not participate in the Games.

"We were at the qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico when we started hearing about the different rumblings," Triano said. "I think it was right before our final game, and we had already secured a spot (for the Olympics), when we heard there was a good chance we would not be going."

"The thing that bothered me is. . . the Afghanistan athletes (11 of them) went to the Olympics in Moscow," Triano added. "We thought what (the Russians) were doing was wrong, but the country they were doing it to didn't think it was wrong enough not to send their athletes to the Games."

Men's basketball, coached by the late Jack Donohue, was the only Canadian team that qualified for Moscow. When the Canadians pulled out, Brazil was bumped up to take their spot _ the Brazilians went on to finish fifth.

"By many accounts, that might have been one of the best teams Canada's ever had, so we were pretty optimistic that we could win a medal," Rautins said.

"We peaked at the right time, we had gone to Puerto Rico for the Olympic qualifying tournament, got on a little bit of a roll," Triano said. "Who knows what would have happened? We definitely had something pretty special at the time."

Instead of battling for a medal in Moscow, the Canadians were flown to Toronto and put up at the Royal York Hotel for two days. They were feted with a dinner, offered tickets to a hockey game and attended a concert in their honour featuring Gordon Lightfoot and Harry Chapin.

Small consolation.

Triano went back to SFU, but had trouble finding motivation to play basketball, so he signed on with the school's football team in his senior season.

"I had a hard time seeing four years down the road,'' Triano said. ``I'm not as bitter about it now because I did get to play in two more Olympics ('84 and '88), and coached in one (2000). But had that been my one shot, I think I'd still be bitter."

Moscow was Rautins' one shot. The former Syracuse star went pro in 1983, drafted 17th overall by the Philadelphia 76ers, and the Olympics didn't allow professionals at that time.

"It ended up being a defining point in my career, because 1980 was my best shot," said Rautins, who was on the '92 Canadian team that failed to qualify for the Barcelona Games. "And even though guys like Jay went on to play on other Olympic teams, there was something special about that team, it had everything you want on a team, the chemistry was unbelievable."

Triano and Rautins were among 212 Canadian athletes named to the 1980 Olympic team.

"I felt bad for the guys who never got to play in another Olympic Games," Triano said. "I was young enough where it became my goal to overcome it and see if I could play in another one. But I felt bad for the guys who, it was their only shot."

And it's tough enough to qualify for one Olympic Games, let alone two.

"I felt bad for other athletes," Triano said. "For example, there's a certain timeframe for gymnasts, where they're in their prime and it can't happen over two Olympics. Same thing for swimmers. . . I felt bad for those types of athletes who trained, some of them, their whole lifetime for the experience of competing in the Olympic Games."

Rautins' Canadian squad _ including his son Andy, a point guard at Syracuse _ is in the hunt for a berth at the Beijing Games. The Canadians have to finish top three at a last-chance qualifying tournament in Athens in July.

Meanwhile, the world continues to watch, waiting to see how China deals with the recent unrest in Tibet.

"My whole gripe is, where were all the political people when they chose the venue?" Rautins said. "Why are they coming out now when the only people who will get hurt by this are the athletes.

"Athletes have a voice, so go (to Beijing), perform and if you want to make a political statement, use your voice at that time to challenge human rights, whatever issues may come forth, whatever they see first-hand _ use that opportunity to make a statement."

NOTES: Edmonton's Mangisto Arop led Canada's National Elite Development Academy (NEDA) boys team to a fifth-place finish at the prestigious Albert Schweitzer Tournament in Mannheim, Germany. Arop averaged 21 points and 11 rebounds in the tournament, which is considered the ``unofficial under-18 world championships.'' Canada defeated Russia 74-48 and then Australia 66-53, before routing Argentina 80-54 to finish fifth.
    <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

CAN – Dalembert still upset after being kicked off Team Canada

TORONTO (National team) – One of the more bizarre episodes to occur in international basketball this summer happened at the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Athens, when Canada coach Leo Rautins booted center Samuel Dalembert off the team.

Dalembert struggled in a blowout defeat to Slovenia and the following day, with the team about to depart for the arena to take on Korea, sparks flew.

"I was already on the bus, sitting down, and he (Rautins) asked to talk to me," Dalembert said in remarks published on Canada Basketball’s official website.

"The timing was very bad. Stuff was going on. Stuff he said to me, I talked back. After that, there was a gesture that he made that really upset me.

"After that we started talking, and things escalated.

"I was playing for me. I was playing for Canada. But obviously the bus wasn't going to leave if I didn't get off the bus. So I made the decision to get off the bus."

Without Dalembert, Canada fell behind against Korea but came back and won, only to then crash to a big defeat to Croatia in the knockout stage.

After the win over Korea, Rautins had said to FIBA.com: "Without getting into too many details, we decided to move forward with the players that we felt had the passion and desire to be here and play for Canada and that’s about it, in a nutshell.

"It’s disappointing, for sure, but we have to have players who are 100% committed to it. If they’re not, it’s not going to happen for us."

The Canada Basketball website said that Rautins called Dalembert a "prima donna" and added that the player had distanced himself from the rest of the team.

Rautins also revealed the players were unanimous in their agreement to move forward without Dalembert.

Dalembert, who travelled to Toronto at the weekend with Philadelphia taking on the Raptors in a pre-season game, says he won’t be coming back as long as Rautins remains in charge.

"I will say no," Dalembert said.

"You never know. You get one slap; you don't know when you're going to get another slap again. I'm not ready for that."

Rautins is under contract with Canada until the end of 2008 and it’s not known if he will remain in charge.

Wayne Parrish, the executive director of the national basketball organization, has been trying to calm down the situation and Dalembert claimed he had received an apology from him.

"What happened in the summer was unfortunate," Parrish said.

"But my hope is over the next six to eight to 10 months we can resolve this in a good way. It's important that the lines of communication are open with Sam and I, and I know Leo feels the same way."
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...8682/arti.html
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Leo is such a bad coach. He was good at getting a group of talented guys together but equally good at alienating them. Denham Brown, Juan Mendez and Sam Dalembert were missing from this past summers team. Canada definitely needs a new coach, we actually did better with Triano and he had a much shallower group of players. The best solution is to hire a European coach and get a group of guys to stay committed. The good thing about the players we have is that they are hungry, many of them are hoping for a second NBA opportunity. IMO new coach = qualifying for 2010 world championships.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast