2008.7.11 Canada 74 - Germany 84
    2008.7.25 Canada 65 - USA 120

FIBA World Olympic Qualifying Tournament
    Preliminary Round
    2008.7.15 Canada 70 - Slovenia 86
    2008.7.16 Canada 79 - South Korea 77
    Quarter-Finals
    2008.7.18 Canada 62 - Croatia 83
    Last edited by Kings; 07-29-2008 at 02:28 AM.

Canada's biggest weakness is at point guard. Our front line can compete with almost any team in the tournament. Carl English also can score from the shooting guard position, He'll need to have a big tournament for us to have a good showing.

By the way I'd like to hear some opinions on the Canadian players that play in Europe, I know English is doing good but what about, Famitimi, Denham Brown, Juan Mendez, Jesse Young and others?

Canada NT reminds me the end of Simpsons episode "Bart Wants What It Wants" LOL.
    Without Steve Nash Canada looks like average NT who can maybe surprise couple times but nothing more. With Steve Nash I am sure they could go far. Canadian NT in some ways remind me of German NT. 1 big star and bunch of losers.

Canada now ranks 2nd in Fiba men rankings 2007! Of course those rankings are for North American Countries where only 2 countries exists
    Last edited by Test; 05-17-2008 at 08:23 AM.

The Canadians really missed Andy Rautins when he went down at the Tournament of the Americas last summer, not sure what his recovery status is (didn't play all all this year for Syracuse). Dalembert is a force on the boards, blocking shots and getting dunks, but he's not a guy you can throw the ball to in the low post. Carl English can stroke the ball, and Denham Brown and FAMUTIMI are both athletic but not particularly skilled. I do like Juan Mendez, he has rage out to the three point line and isn't afraid to mix it up a little bit (he got into it with Nene last summer).

Quote Originally Posted by Test
    Canada NT reminds me the end of Simpsons episode "Bart Wants What It Wants" LOL.
    Without Steve Nash Canada looks like average NT who can maybe surprise couple times but nothing more. With Steve Nash I am sure they could go far. Canadian NT in some ways remind me of German NT. 1 big star and bunch of losers.

Canada now ranks 2nd in Fiba men rankings 2007! Of course those rankings are for North American Countries where only 2 countries exists
    Sam Dalembert starts at center of the NBA Phliiy 76's. Joel Anthony plays for the Miami Heat. I do remember one year that Juan Mendez lead the NCAA in scoring when he played for Niagra(allthough I would of thought he's Puerto Rican). Carl English was a conference all star when he played for the U of Hawaii.
    Canada's rankings have diminshed in recent years, that's got to be attributed that everybody's else in the world is getting so much better.
    Canada's best showing was in the 80's when they continued to make it in the top 4-8 in the Olympics & world championships. They did'nt really have any note worthy players(or at least superstars) back then. But that was before the Iron Curtain breakup and the explosion of the west euro & Middle east & African teams.

Yeah, I also think that Canada without Nash is an ordinary NT, but yet, maybe they can still suprise in Athens. But I still don't know why Nash isn't playing for Canada? Is he hurt or he just doesn't wanna play?

He didn't come since Sidney's OGs.
    It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Oh, that's right. LoL, I've totally forgot.

Nash is a old guy people.

Juan Mendez is Dominican, but play for Canada.
    Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
    16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
    Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
    8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

So old playing basketball at highest level is becoming impossible obviously... He's only be second in assist in the NBA last year... Retirement is close, nobody will want to sign such a looser.

Let's send Dirk to motivate him.

Quote Originally Posted by damelo
    So old playing basketball at highest level is becoming impossible obviously... He's only be second in assist in the NBA last year... Retirement is close, nobody will want to sign such a looser.

Let's send Dirk to motivate him.
    Thats the excuse of Nash to be out of the NT.
    Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
    16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
    Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
    8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Well, something I read about Mike Pietrus recently:

Is that really profitable to have 5 and a half month of holidays, since his team didn't make the playoffs? He will spend half of the year without playing high level basketball... Same for most NBA players.

Part of the reason Nash doesn't play for Canada is that Jay Triano the former coach of the national team got fired. We had much better results with Nash even though the rest of the team was pretty weak outside of Rowan Barret and Todd McCullough. I believe with Nash and Maglorie we would be a very competitive national team with 4 NBA players and a number of players with solid European experience.

But I'm glad we are building for the future with our young team, Canada basketball realizes they need programs in place to train the athletes in this country so we can catch up to other nations. We actually have our own version of AIS (Australian institute of sport) called NEDA which started last year and is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by damelo
    He didn't come since Sidney's OGs
    Nash also played in 2001 and 2003 Tournaments of Americas.

2003 - 11.1ppg, 2.9rpg, 6.6apg.

Guys, what's with the talk about Nash being old? He's not a spring chicken anymore, but he's still one of the best guards on the planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaxballer
    I believe with Nash and Maglorie we would be a very competitive national team with 4 NBA players and a number of players with solid European experience.
    Put those guys and then Canada will have an NT that looks incredible. They could really compete.
    But I'm glad we are building for the future with our young team, Canada basketball realizes they need programs in place to train the athletes in this country so we can catch up to other nations.
    Like a lot of countries, Canada has a great basketball future. If they can get all of those kids in Europe to keep coming back and play with the NT, year in and year out, they'll develop rather well.

And even right now, I don't think the NT looks that bad. They've got a great NBA center in Dalembert to anchor the middle, Rautins and Mendez are good now, and Brown is a nice athlete. Fill in some hustle players and that looks real good.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Don't forget Carl English, he can play. He is just puting up 14ppg in ACB for the 9th team, and a final8 team in ULEB. I think Gran Canaria got beat by Spanish team anyway, so nothing un honorable...

Canada's National team just got a boost, Rowan Barrett has decided to join the team. Back when Canada actually qualified for the Olympics he was our leading scorer and should have been in the NBA IMO. I hope if we can some how qualify to the Olympics Nash will join the team.

http://basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=1&id=2066

So do u guys think Lebanon has a chance of beating Canada in their friendly games at the end of this month? (Lebanon has defeated Canada twice in the friendly games before the World Championships in Japan)
    If Maglore, Dalembert and Anthony are going to play then I personally think that we don't have a chance (I'm not considering Nash cuz Nash is to Canada as Nowitzki is to Germany; an awesome player who can change the whole team)

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast