Page 145 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 3034

Thread: Lithuanian talents.

  1. #2881
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    2,221
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Well, first of all Jakucionis is 2 years younger and i'm sure he will play in U16 if COVID won't ruin all this again. Anyway, he's not from this generation.
    Secondly, Buzelis, Indrusaitis and Brazdeikis are all Americans and it's not known if they play at all. Moreover, Indrusaitis and Brazdeikis are questionable if they are really good. Colleges isn't really an argument for me. Arlauskas is in one of the best. He doesn't play there a lot, but somehow he got there.
    So, fairly big prospects at the moment are Murauskas, Krivas and Buzelis if he plays. 1 or 2 possibly can be more. It doesn't look like the most talented right now. If all the possible guys gathers together (which is a rare case) then maybe.
    Blazevic and Tubelis, or Tubelis and Murauskas could be at the same team recently (that already would be quite big), but every time one of them couldn't play. it's not a big possibility that all your mentioned will be available.

    There was a team with Motiejunas, NBA prospect Janavicius , Vasiliauskas, Cepukaitis. I was sceptical about Janavicius and Vasiliuskas, but they were considered as big prospects (Cepukaitis as well) and were allegedly hunted by Spanish big teams. Kuzminskas was in the shadow at that team.
    1992 team with JV, Pukis, Cizauskas, Redikas. Don't forget that Cizauskas and Redikas were quite big prospects at that time. Cizauskas was in Zalgiris at 16 and at 20 he still could be the MVP of u20 EC. Not talking about Ulanovas, Butkevicius and the whole that team overall, which was very strong and tough.
    Or a gold generation of a big prospect Jurkunas, Sestokas, Jasikevicius and Marciulionis.
    Last edited by Dreamcatcher; 01-17-2022 at 07:15 PM.

  2. #2882
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Well, first of all Jakucionis is 2 years younger and i'm sure he will play in U16 if COVID won't ruin all this again. Anyway, he's not from this generation.
    Secondly, Buzelis, Indrusaitis and Brazdeikis are all Americans and it's not known if they play at all. Moreover, Indrusaitis and Brazdeikis are questionable if they are really good. Colleges isn't really an argument for me. Arlauskas is in one of the best. He doesn't play there a lot, but somehow he got there.
    So, fairly big prospects at the moment are Murauskas, Krivas and Buzelis if he plays. 1 or 2 possibly can be more. It doesn't look like the most talented right now. If all the possible guys gathers together (which is a rare case) then maybe.
    Blazevic and Tubelis, or Tubelis and Murauskas could be at the same team recently (that already would be quite big), but every time one of them couldn't play. it's not a big possibility that all your mentioned will be available.

    There was a team with Motiejunas, NBA prospect Janavicius , Vasiliauskas, Cepukaitis. I was sceptical about Janavicius and Vasiliuskas, but they were considered as big prospects (Cepukaitis as well) and were allegedly hunted by Spanish big teams. Kuzminskas was in the shadow at that team.
    1992 team with JV, Pukis, Cizauskas, Redikas. Don't forget that Cizauskas and Redikas were quite big prospects at that time. Cizauskas was in Zalgiris at 16 and at 20 he still could be the MVP of u20 EC. Not talking about Ulanovas, Butkevicius and the whole that team overall, which was very strong and tough.
    Or a gold generation of a big prospect Jurkunas, Sestokas, Jasikevicius and Marciulionis.
    Well, yeah, I just posted hypothetical team which could take place if those Lithuanian American guys would be brought home and Jakucionis wouldn't mind playing with 2 years older guys. Remember when Jokubaitis and D. Giedraitis as 17yo came to U19 WC and actually were doing heck of a job? Jokubaitis was scoring in double digits, while Dovydas was one of the most productive passers in the tournament per minute. Velicka dominated as 17yo in U18 EB. We have examples when it's pretty nice to play with older guys. We'll see soon where Jakucionis stands, big U16 tournament coming in a month.

    Indrusaitis is pretty good, man. I watched many highlights, he has it. Off course, we can't be certain, but many good indications. Some says he should ranked top 50 nationally in the class of 2024 (Buzelis is ranked top 5-10 nationally in the class of 2023).https://twitter.com/tdc200/status/1478568297394229253

    Realistically only JV and Cizauskas were attracting serious attention from 1992. Not saying that other guys where thrash, no, it was incredibly deep generation of solid guys, but as elite prospects goes it was JV and in a way Cizauskas (was invited to Basketball Without Borders, attracted some scouts attention, but was treated more like upcoming Zalgiris team material rather than NBA prospect). Redikas because of his size and athleticism received some attention, but it's nothing close to say the same Velicka, Marciulionis, not even talking about Jokubaitis. Essentially, JV and Cizauskas were biggest stars of 1992. And speaking truly sincerely - how many NT long term pieces provided this very deep generation of solid, but not elite prospects? One and it's JV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  3. #2883
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    2,221
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    speaking truly sincerely - how many NT long term pieces provided this very deep generation of solid, but not elite prospects? One and it's JV.
    But it doesn't matter at all. Being very talented and ending being a great player isn't the same. In my mentioned Janavicius and Vasiliauskas's team they both were considered as big prospects, but ended being average players. On contrary, Kuzminskas in the same generation wasn't treated as any prospect, but ended as a NT long term piece you've mentioned.

    You don't know how will end all the talents you mention regularly. So anyway it shouldn't be an argument.

  4. #2884
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    But it doesn't matter at all. Being very talented and ending being a great player isn't the same. In my mentioned Janavicius and Vasiliauskas's team they both were considered as big prospects, but ended being average players. On contrary, Kuzminskas in the same generation wasn't treated as any prospect, but ended as a NT long term piece you've mentioned.

    You don't know how will end all the talents you mention regularly. So anyway it shouldn't be an argument.
    This post doesn't make any sense. Absolute majority of senior NT players were treated as big prospects in Youth level. The same Kuzminskas was dropping 10pts, 5,2rbs at U20 already, one of the keys of that team. Juskevicius as scoring leader with 13pts and this guy made NT couple of times and leaved his mark. The more stand-outs the better. Not all standouts will become senior NT material, but that's the pool where you fishing NT material. Very very rare story of the guy who from being pretty much nobody prevails to something serious in senior NT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  5. #2885
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    2,221
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    This post doesn't make any sense. Absolute majority of senior NT players were treated as big prospects in Youth level. The same Kuzminskas was dropping 10pts, 5,2rbs at U20 already, one of the keys of that team. Juskevicius as scoring leader with 13pts and this guy made NT couple of times and leaved his mark. The more stand-outs the better. Not all standouts will become senior NT material, but that's the pool where you fishing NT material. Very very rare story of the guy who from being pretty much nobody prevails to something serious in senior NT.
    I mean when we speak how talented or not were some youth NTs it's not really matters how the players ended because it doesn't effect whether they were talented or not. So why my post doesn't make any sense? Moreover, it's your post (part of it) doesn't make any sense. It was about the level of 1992 generation's talent and you wrote that only JV was a long NT piece member. It doesn't matter and because of that doesn't make any sense. By the way, you had to mention Ulanovas from 1992 generation as well. He's been a legit NT member. But again, it doesn't matter.

    Since you've written stats of Kuzia, it's better to take u18 champ, because 2004 generation is going to take part exactly in u18. Kuzminskas averaged about 4 pts there. He simply wasn't among the best prospects in that generation.
    Last edited by Dreamcatcher; 01-17-2022 at 09:21 PM.

  6. #2886
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,975
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    if one age group provided one elite players thats very good outcome,if 2 thats fantastic, 3 basically never happens.

    Count elite nba tallents in one age group is useless thing, when our nation have only such 4-5 players in entire decade in all age groups.

    I count players those age groups provided for our NT and judge by that.

    in 2022 eurobasket there can be 5 diffrent players from 1992 age group players in final roster : Valanciunas,Ulanovas,Butkevicius,Giedraitis,Zukaus kas

    If that happends im not sure there were any age group that had 5 diffrent players in men NT born same year in ltu history.

  7. #2887
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,738

    Default

    Dreamcatcher

    In a way you right. You can gather a heck of an early bloomers Youth NT as Seskus, Cizauskas, Balciunas and it will be good Youth team, but it won't translate to PRO. But being enthusiastic just for the sake of Youth team is somewhat insufficient, there's always long term expectations which provides extra nerve and meaning for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  8. #2888
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,738

    Default

    When I say long term NT piece I mean players who makes it for 5-8 tournaments. Players as Ulanovas, Butkevicius, Giedraitis guys who made it 2 times and left small mark is not that breed...Not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  9. #2889
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Since you've written stats of Kuzia, it's better to take u18 champ, because 2004 generation is going to take part exactly in u18. Kuzminskas averaged about 4 pts there. He simply wasn't among the best prospects in that generation.
    I think he was. I remember hearing or reading about younger Kuzminskas, googling and finding that this supposedly big prospect averages 3 or 2 points in Perlas

  10. #2890
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,738

    Default

    Lukosius drops career high 17pts in NCAA. Showed great range again. IMO, has everything to be a good player:

    https://twitter.com/CBBonFOX/status/1483599662196183042

    PS:

    How about packing all U20 this summer? Remember when we lost our recent super talented U20 with Jokubaitis, Sirvydis, D. Giedraitis which had to play in Klaipeda? This summer it would be nice to pack these guys into damn solid U20:

    Marciulionis, Stenionis,
    Rubstavicius, Pivorius, Rubinas
    Lukosius, Lelevicius
    Murauskas
    Tubelis

    This would also be one of the deepest and most talented teams, specially if younger Murauskas. Lelevicius would be into that.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 01-19-2022 at 04:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  11. #2891
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    4,187
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    It would be fairly stupid of Tubelis to participate in a U20 tournament. Its just a waste of time that he could use for individual training. We did such a stupidity every time in the past but we learned from our mistakes. The purpose of those tournaments are not to win them but to give talented guys the opportunity to lead. Marculionis for example can participate, he is by far not above the level.

  12. #2892
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    It would be fairly stupid of Tubelis to participate in a U20 tournament. Its just a waste of time that he could use for individual training. We did such a stupidity every time in the past but we learned from our mistakes. The purpose of those tournaments are not to win them but to give talented guys the opportunity to lead. Marculionis for example can participate, he is by far not above the level.
    Well, yeah...But he really enjoys playing for NT, he would have a good time and a good chance to win medal, that's quite few reasons already...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  13. #2893
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    1986 Lithuanian U20 NT: E.Bublys G.Einikis V.Jankūnas D.Dimavičius G.Šivickas A.Tomkevičius L.Kvedaravičius S.Ivanauskas G.Bačianskas D.Lukminas G.Vasilkevičius G.Markevičius

  14. #2894
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,738

    Default

    IMO, but Marciulionis and Lukosius roaring with raw potential as 2002 guys. Both struggle to shoot to some extent, specially Marciulionis thus far, but both have good shot mechanics, specially Lukosius touch is really soft and he has really deep range. High release point. Knowing that he's 198cm SG, he can be a problem both outside, and he has beefy arrss to move players inside. He had another good game last night:

    https://twitter.com/ButlerMBB/status...52251736907778

    Marciulionis despite bricking heavily thus far in his early NCAA career (IMO, that's duo to added kilos as well) has really quick and fundamentally sound release. I refuse to believe that he won't be at least 32-34% career 3pts shooter as some Kalnietis is 31% EL shooter while his shot mechanics are so much worse (specially was when he was young). Here he executes it nicely:

    https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/sta...52464916664320
    Last edited by Straight forward; 01-21-2022 at 10:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  15. #2895
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,975
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Marciulionis sucked in youth tournament in summer.When backup guard Stenionis was way better.

    Ncaa stats 20,8min 4,4pts 1,5 asist 2,3 tour. with 38% and 15 % shooting from 2 and 3

    thats ltu one of the most promissing guard?

    Give me combo Velicka any day over this way overhyped ltu superstars kid as Jokubaitis backourt partner from 2025 in NT.


    I still not sure which one Sirvydis or Marciulionis kid was is most overhyped tallent ever in ltu.

    Tubelis,Blazevic i understand where hype comes,i also see NT material in them.

    But sorry in first 2 i mostly see only famous fathers surnames and spoiled kids attitudes. Those 2 got red carpet put in front of them since very early and thats formula for disaster for any youngster.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 01-24-2022 at 08:38 AM.

  16. #2896
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,738

    Default

    Shawshank,

    You do realize that Velicka is 3 years older? You do realize that he couldn't cope with LKL level as 18yo in Liekabelis while Marciulionis was legitimate backup PG of Rytas? You do realise that 17yo Marciulionis dominated NKL and was named best PG of the season while Stenionis even now can't even get close to Marciulionis numbers as 19yo? You know that Marciulionis was second best facilitator in whole U16 EC tournament?You do realize that Marciulionis was 3rd best facilitator in the whole 2021 U19 WC tournament (4.7apg in just 20mpg)? Sure, we expected more from him, but he didn't suck. You do realize that not Jokubaitis, nor Velicka didn't dominate ANGT Euroleague as Marciulionis did with 23,5 eff, right? Do you realize that as 18yo he was among candidates to be a Rising Star of Champions League playing for one of top Lithuanian clubs?

    Now, does he struggle in NCAA? In some aspects he surely does. His shooting is really bad this season. Does he suck overall? No even close. Do you realize that most freshmen not even playing first season? Jasikevicius in his freshman season was playing 6,1mpg, and only 9,7mpg in second season. Do you think Marciulionis receives 19,6mpg for nothing and even starts in the team which is really old students team? He's the best defensive guard in the team, he's the best passing guard in the team already, that's why he lately starts.

    Marciulionis has everything (size, skill, above average athleticism for white Euro, IQ) to be a good player and he will be a heck of guard.

    Now Sirvydis is playing well in G league. How many dudes as 21yo do you remember playing in the G league, nailing 15ppg with 62% from 2 and 36 from 3 pts. Sirvydis has produced impact in Eurocup as 18yo, 19yo that not any other Lithuanian had produced probably ever, and he was shooting threes with great %.

    Marciulionis has spoiled kid attitude? You don't know a shit about the kid, don't you? Sirvydis lost his head a little bit at first when being 18yo dropped 20pts in Eurocup against Unics, but even he lately working his ass off. Marciulionis is always humble, hard working, everyone speaks about his terrific working ethics. I think it's more like you being an old man who still can't deal with his cognitive and emotional issues, cause you never get the whole picture (analutically and go straight nuts (emotionally, visa superstition, xenophobia, conservatism) like "the guy has tatoo, he's done"

    Sirvydis and Marciulionis are not 2 most overrated players, it's just 2 players that you xenophobically hate. Actually, specially Sirvydis received too many undeserved hate by people like you.

    I would suggest you to quite watching basketball cause you often are completely pathetic and lost, and I'm afraid you are not improving at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  17. #2897
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,738

    Default

    You couldn't even post Marciulionis season stats correctly. It's 4.4pts, 2,4as, 31,6% FG, 2,1to. You're a mess, dude...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  18. #2898
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,162
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    IMO, but Marciulionis and Lukosius roaring with raw potential as 2002 guys. Both struggle to shoot to some extent, specially Marciulionis thus far, but both have good shot mechanics, specially Lukosius touch is really soft and he has really deep range. High release point. Knowing that he's 198cm SG, he can be a problem both outside, and he has beefy arrss to move players inside.

    Marciulionis despite bricking heavily thus far in his early NCAA career (IMO, that's duo to added kilos as well) has really quick and fundamentally sound release. I refuse to believe that he won't be at least 32-34% career 3pts shooter as some Kalnietis is 31% EL shooter while his shot mechanics are so much worse (specially was when he was young).
    Uggghhh!!! Once again, basketball is not figure skating. At the end of the day, noone is going to care about how, just how many. What's critical is not how a player looks when he releases the ball; it's where the ball lands. And yes, yes, I know, I know, fundamentals/mechanics can be a key determinant of where the ball lands, but that already washes out in the shooting % stat.

    In summary, I'd rather have a player with crappy "mechanics" who hits his shots than one with great mechanics whose shots just don't fall through the basket as often.



    P.S. Keep in mind that I'm cheering for both Deividas Sirvydis and Augustas Marčiulionis to develop into stars on Team Lietuva. It's simply talk about "mechanics" and "fundamentals" that makes me groan.


  19. #2899
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    2,221
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Well, Marciulionis indeed was overrated by media which was saying 2002 generation was Tubelis and Marciulionis' team. But the thing is that Tubelis is one head better than him. Augustas is much more close to some other players than to Tubelis. Even more, i'm not sure at all if he's the 2nd best talent there. OK, Stenionis was better at summer - it can be only one piece of shine and his height is an issue. But Rubstavicius may be not worse player or even better. Too bad he's suffering from injuries - before that he was good and i liked him more. That's why i didn't like the statement ''Tubelis and Marciulionis' team''. In fact, Marciulionis failed in both last youth tournaments providing horrible shooting. The team lost both crucial play off games because of Marciulionis and the coach who played him in the end because of Augustas' second name in spite of the fact that Marciulionis sucked in those games. No hate. Just it should have been and still be ''Tubelis' team'' or ''Tubelis and others'', but not ''Tubelis and Marciulionis' team''.

  20. #2900
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Uggghhh!!! Once again, basketball is not figure skating. At the end of the day, noone is going to care about how, just how many. What's critical is not how a player looks when he releases the ball; it's where the ball lands. And yes, yes, I know, I know, fundamentals/mechanics can be a key determinant of where the ball lands, but that already washes out in the shooting % stat.

    In summary, I'd rather have a player with crappy "mechanics" who hits his shots than one with great mechanics whose shots just don't fall through the basket as often.



    P.S. Keep in mind that I'm cheering for both Deividas Sirvydis and Augustas Marčiulionis to develop into stars on Team Lietuva. It's simply talk about "mechanics" and "fundamentals" that makes me groan.

    You made me think about good shooters with crappy mechanics. And now, Ulanovas is not a good shooter LOL To be honest I don't remember a good Lithuanian shooter with extremely crappy mechanics. Actually Grigonis mechanics (and ball rounding while flying) is unorthodox, but still it's not entirely crappy. The things is that it's not really happening much in basketball that player with crappy mechanics is a good shooter. Kurtinaitis, Karnisovas, Stombergas, Macijauskas, Jasikevicius, Milaknis all have good shooting form, mechanics...

    Even in NBA...What are some really good shooters with crappy mechanics? Not many...

    There're some suggestions... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNm7...rtingLogically

    The thing is that Ulanovas, Janavicius and such never became good shooters...Their mechanics are really crappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Page 145 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •