Page 132 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133 LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 2652

Thread: Lithuanian talents.

Two highlight reels from u16 Baltic Cup
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0c...krnw0leI2Znhew

Looks nearly identical. Trully a rare sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    Looks nearly identical. Trully a rare sight.
    My favorite half-court buzzer-beater is by Matas Andruškevičius. He played total of 155 seconds for main Neptunas team in 2 games as almost 17-year-old in 13/14 Eurocup season. Official short chart has it closer to 3pt line (blue dot) than I remember (red area)

WHy is it your favorite? Is there a video of it?

Velicka with huge 25/10/5 performance, 11/18FT, 27EFF. It's obvious pre season wasn't a fluke, he has tools to be dominant if physical LNB. However, one thing that doesn't allow me to treat him as an absolute high IQ guard stud is his inconsistency. In one game he facilitates like stud, he moves the ball nicely, basically takes the right shots, but that doesn't happen every game. Next one he might fell in love with the three point shot and go 0/6 and 1/9 overall, leaving the game with -1. If I would look comparisons to Lith players, to me Kaukenas pops out. Kaukenas had it all basically, he could shoot, he could drive, he could pass, he had nice sturdy body, but sometimes he just went straight nuts, taking bad shots, playing too ISO, it's like having some addiction. Even veteran Kaukenas had serious issues in 2008 OG, sometimes losing his head. Something similar is happening with Velicka. You either get absolutely elite PG performance, or you're witnessing some sort of obsession with the bad decisions. So to me the question is whenever Velicka will remain such up and down kind of PG, or with time he will become more and more consistent, reaching absolutely elite level of a game. Consistency and reliable spot on decision making every game is something what separates him from impressive level that he can reach one day. With an obvious inconsistency, Velicka provides serious numbers thus far, 13,6 ppg, 5.8as, 4,2 rbs, 15,4eff (57/32/69). Very curious how 20yo will develop. If he will gradually improve his weaknesses (consistency and shooting), he can be scary good, but he may remain "Kaukenas" for the rest of career which is not the worst thing to happen either.

Highlights:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxlzETMqsbM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

For those who can cope with such English, a fun article on Dovydas Giedraitis:

https://pledgetimes.com/movistar-est...s-real-madrid/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here's what Eurospects.com sees from Euro prospects in Lithuania:

LITHUANIA

Nevezis emerged as another prospects hotbed in Europe. Last season they caught attention mainly thanks to Greek Georgios Kalaitzakis and his twin brother but this year management dropped even bigger bombs by signing super talented duo Ariel Hukporti and Abramo Canka.

Italian wing who is a product of Stellazzurra system was originally signed by Lokomotiv Kuban and loaned to Lithuania (somewhat family agency business). Very dynamic but also skinny player who reminds me a little of young Adam Hanga will definitely need to improve his bulk in order to compete in LKL. He is known from his poise, slashing ability and pesky defense but shooting and decision making still need refinement. Anyway he has a good situation but it’s unclear now whether he has a shot upcoming year or isn’t he actually more of two year project draft wise.

Ariel Hukporti is a big gifted with great tools. He shows flashes of perimeter skills but sometimes has even too big tendencies to use them which brings mixed results. Upside was never a question with him but consistency and focus are still concerning and he will be evaluated closely under those criterias by scouts. While maybe he is not the sharpest basketball mind he has a body and athleticism to compete and tough minded players with great fundamentals will be great test that he can benefit from. As of now though both are inactive which was well hidden fact by organisation. Especially with Hukporti it may take a while to see him on a court.

Marek Blazevic left Rytas in big degree because of Saras before he accepted an offer from Barcelona. Now since Landale didn’t leave for NBA young big might explore loan options but surely there will be number of teams interested (even abroad starting from Lokomotiv Kuban) in bringing fundamentally sound prospect with great character who is ready to contribute on high level.

Rokas Jokubaitis is rarely polished playmaker for still teenager. Team is stacked with capable offensive initiators but surely there will be many games in LKL which Rokas can start in and let key players rest a bit and be more fresh for another Euroleague battle. Speaking of it he may be ready to log more minutes in best European competition this season as well comparing to only 6mpg last year.

We mentioned how mature of a player Rokas Jokubaitis is but two years younger Augustas Marciulonis may be even more advanced in this category. Son of a legend is extremely savvy, quite ready to compete from physical standpoint and has all the makings of lead guard who can dictate the pace, run any offense, be right hand of a coach and moreover contribute as a scorer. From draft eligible players he will be accompanied by Lukas Uleckas. Wing with sweet shooting stroke, positional size and advanced feel for the game left Zalgiris and may be valuable piece of Rytas roster for years to come or even find a way back to Kaunas at some point of his career.

https://eurospects.com/18716/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

According to eurospects.com Blazevic don't see playing time mainly because Landale stayed in Zalgiris?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    According to eurospects.com Blazevic don't see playing time mainly because Landale stayed in Zalgiris?
    Some of the info is outdated obviously, but generally spot on overview.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ariel Hukporti is a big gifted with great tools. He shows flashes of perimeter skills but sometimes has even too big tendencies to use them which brings mixed results. Upside was never a question with him but consistency and focus are still concerning and he will be evaluated closely under those criterias by scouts. While maybe he is not the sharpest basketball mind he has a body and athleticism to compete and tough minded players with great fundamentals will be great test that he can benefit from. As of now though both are inactive which was well hidden fact by organization. Especially with Hukporti it may take a while to see him on a court.
    Undoubtfully, the most overrated 2002 prospect. He has a lack of body coordination, stamina doesnt allow him to play more than 20 minutes. Injury prone ... plays 3 games and is off for the next 5. As the text underlines he has also a big problem with concentration and motor and he hasnt played 1 game in the new season for Nevezis.

Mike Gribanov is the only guy who understands basketball and shares my view

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Mike Gribanov is the only guy who understands basketball and shares my view
    I also find The Stepien as one of the most spot on scouting platforms, if not the most.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nojus Mineikis to NT!

Rytis Kazlauskas snatched a long interview with D. Giedraitis. I liked how he said "Gentile? Nah, he can't compete with me in three point shooting" Talks about ACB experience and how hard is to make it there, talks about his D:

https://www.lrt.lt/naujienos/sportas...u-isitvirtinti
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Nojus Mineikis to NT!
    In last 3 games Nojus scored 77 points on 7/10 17/33 12/15 shooting, 26 rb, 4as, 3 st, 1 bl, 4 to, total 76 eff points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba8_JGn_xnU

Should see 10+ minutes tomorrow in LKL game vs Siauliai
    Last edited by LuDux; 11-08-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Stasys Kaupys, first coach of Macijauskas, says a lot of strong words on Lithuanian players development. He thinks that there's too much restriction and too much if system BB all over. I'm surprised a bit that he missed all the changes initiated mostly by Rolandas Radvila, allowing kids in MKL to play more individual basketball, to rely more on individual skill. On other hand, Kaupys is right, in 10 years we didn't produce a single true star (aside JV and Domas, the latter is more Spanish product). He thinks Saras seeded a deadly fashion with his Zalgiris project

I don't know. It's tricky. I think we surely have tons of job to do improving our coaching basis all over the country. But we also should look for balance between individual and system BB development. I think Jokubaitis is the best example. He developed system BB and individual skill wise perfectly and now has impressive balance as 19yo. I think our coaching (country wise) is really mediocre at best, but a lot comes down to a simple fact how much talents you have around. 10's happened to be poor talent wise and you can't do much about it. I feel that Lithuanian basketball always was alive by incredible passion for basketball in the first place. Coaching matters a lot, but it's not the key thing. Siska became a beast while balling in the streets. To some extent I think we should liberate our young talents and to give them more opportunities to fail (thumbs up to current Nevezis), but at the same time our discipline, coherence has been our advantage ever since 1992. We should try to fill our weak spots, adding more of USA, Spain culture here and there, and to stick with our identity as an ultimate unit as a team.

https://www.delfi.lt/krepsinis/kreps....d?id=85668709
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

18 y.o. a tall guard Lukosius hasn't shined in Lithuania but do much better in Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGWCQhMtMcg

https://www.eurobasket.com/Germany/n...as-Been-Insane

Snatched the game between Estudiantes and Barselona to have my focus on Dovis Giedraitis. I see some similarities between him and Grigonis. FOA, both are SGs who played some 1 at youth level so both are crafty drivers and good passers for their position. Both lacking athleticism and burst while finishing with contact to be elite material, but both very crafty and have a lot of moves. Both very consistent and reliable shooters. Both started their ACB careers as 20yo (well Dovis played 7 games last season, but it's first serious season). Even their stats now are rather similar, Girgonas had been playing 21mpg, 7,7ppg, Dovis 19mpg 7,9ppg. The difference is that Giedraitis is way better defender at this age, it's not even close, he's playing vet's D already. Against Barsa played some huge D and basically not a single mistake. Dovis is super disciplined defender, not overly quick or strong, but his positioning is incredible and his motor is nasty, like always giving 110 percent at D. Maybe Seibutis could be as comparison? I don't remember other Lith guard with such defensive motor, such willing and spot on defender (aside Rooney who was elite). Grigonis is a decent defender, and when he delivers his best even solid, but his motor is not even close to Giedraitis. Offensively Grigonis is a bit more explosive, has bigger ego and scoring swagger, but Dovis is more disciplined and probably even better shooter. I treat Dovis Giedraitis upside similar or very close to Grigonis. Dovis was visible against both Real and Barsa, scoring 8 and 9 points, and as 20yo is much more PRO than Grigonis was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMaxF6ITjK4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's a big honour and pleasure to read that Dovydas Giedraitis' name pops out among top 4 ACB best young players. Aside Real Madrid's Garuba and Carlos Alocen and Barsa's Leandro Bolmaro (about to be drafted) it's Dovis among elite youngsters and some treat him as the main contender to win Young ACB player of the year. He will have the most minutes out of the bunch and will probably end up with the best numbers. It would be the first time Lithuanian winning such award, and I think overall it's second time after Grigonis 20yo playing such role in ACB. Interesting that last year Kulboka was the first Lithuanian to be among top five ACB youngsters ever since 2013–14 when this particular award took place. I don't see Dovis having much of NBA pedigree, but if we would speculate he could contend for JJ Redick's kinda role with the lesser extent.

Countless players have been in the ACB before crossing the pond to go to the United States. It has been common for years, but after the ' Luka Doncic effect ' more and more eyes are placed on the pearls that are competing in the Spanish league.

There are many known cases, such as Facundo Campazzo who already seems to have a foot and a half in the best league in the world. He is not exactly young, but he will arrive in the NBA at the best time. But there are many others who have not sounded so much but have everything they need to try their luck sharing the track with the biggest stars on an international level. These names must be engraved in the mind:

Usman Garuba
    Leandro bolmaro
    Dovydas Giedraitis
    Carlos Alocen

https://www.blogdebasket.com/2020/10...acb-futuro-nba

I realistically can see Jokubaitis snatching Euroleague's Young Rising Star award, D. Giedraitis packing ACB Best Young Player award, A. Velicka grabbing LNB Pro A Best Young Player award. That would be cool.

PS: Dovis continues to shoot 50,0% (15/30), I'm looking forward to see how long he keeps it up
    Last edited by Straight forward; 11-11-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Absolutely spot on decision by Pistons to grab Sirvydis into their hands already. Hapoel has direct conncetion with Pistons so there's no surprise. When I saw the game, my first thought, he's gonna waste his time here with all these ISO Americans playing wild mediocre basketball and angry Kattash (can I say... clueless...? The basketball was amateurish from what I've seen) by the side line. It's great news for Sirvydis because he most likely will be absolutely unleashed in G league, and he needs that as fresh air after three seasons of fragmental playing time, and maybe he would even step onto NBA court here and there. Anyway, spending time in Pistons environment is ten times better than doing it in Rytas/Hapoel.

But if there's no G league...still probably better to be in Pistons surroundings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So I see that Regimantas Miniotas contract has now been bought out by Bilbao of the Spanish league. With Laurynas Birutis, Laurynas Beliauskas and Dovydas Giedraitis, that's at least four Lithuanian prospects with national team potential within the next three years in the Spanish league.

Page 132 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133 LastLast