Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's interview from 11.5 months ago. Sez he has problems gaining weight, only gained 4-5 kg over year
    Vienam Vilniaus „Perlo“ lyderių Einarui Tubučiui sunkumų krepšinyje sukelia lėtas svorio augimas, tačiau krepšininkas gali pasidžiaugti itin šioje sporto šakoje vertinamomis ilgomis rankomis.
    The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• Marčiulionis with a triple-double performance on weekend at NKL.

27 points, 11 rebounds, 12 assists, 38 PIR + clutch shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZaliaBalta View Post
        Marčiulionis with a triple-double performance on weekend at NKL.

27 points, 11 rebounds, 12 assists, 38 PIR + clutch shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gigZNjthpZs
        Most complete and talented true guard (thus such as Sirvydis, Brazdeikis aside) prospect. He improved his jumper during this season impressively. Hits even fancy threes now.
        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
        Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Is it just me or I see a lot of parallels between Kalneitis and Velicka as prospects? Both had somewhat impressive athletic profiles as youngsters, both were cheeky and rather ball dominant, both struggled shooting threes, both had issues with the decision making and system BB while showing glimpses of great passing. I would be very glad if Velicka would move to the same path as Kalnietis did basically. Off course, there's differences also, but some fundamental similarities as well. Here's 19-20yo Kalnietis dunking in NKL:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• There's quite a chance that Velicka will return to Estonia and sign with BC Kalev/Cramo this time. VTB will be pretty interesting challenge for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
              Is it just me or I see a lot of parallels between Kalneitis and Velicka as prospects? Both had somewhat impressive athletic profiles as youngsters, both were cheeky and rather ball dominant, both struggled shooting threes, both had issues with the decision making and system BB while showing glimpses of great passing. I would be very glad if Velicka would move to the same path as Kalnietis did basically. Off course, there's differences also, but some fundamental similarities as well. Here's 19-20yo Kalnietis dunking in NKL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxqf-nzmI40
              Never thought about it, so probably won't join the wagon with you on this. There are some similarities as it's probably impossible not to be, but that's it

Velicka moving to Kalev would be interesting, but his latest performances keeps me doubting if he will succeed there, even tho I'm far from expert of current Kalev squad and game, didn't see a single moment of it

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                Never thought about it, so probably won't join the wagon with you on this. There are some similarities as it's probably impossible not to be, but that's it

Well it's a good time to compare those. Both stand at 196cm, with nice wingspan, 6'9 Velicka, I guess something similar to Kalnietis. Both has high handle even if I think Velicka is better ball handler overall a bit. Both were very solid finishers under the rim, in traffic. Both were right hand dominant even if have some of left. Aside my already mentioned similarities. The difference is that Kalnietis had much better vertical leap (94cm, f.e. Seibutis 82cm, Songaila 75cm, Brazdeikis 93 cm). Kalnietis managed to improve in most areas of his game, I think Velicka will also improve at most of it with time.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Well it's a good time to compare those. Both stand at 196cm, with nice wingspan, 6'9 Velicka, I guess something similar to Kalnietis. Both has high handle even if I think Velicka is better ball handler overall a bit. Both were very solid finishers under the rim, in traffic. Both were right hand dominant even if have some of left. Aside my already mentioned similarities. The difference is that Kalnietis had much better vertical leap (94cm, f.e. Seibutis 82cm, Songaila 75cm, Brazdeikis 93 cm). Kalnietis managed to improve in most areas of his game, I think Velicka will also improve at most of it with time.
                  I did compare those before I've posted a reply and I don't really see them too similar despite some things you wrote. Such comparison would hit me earlier, while watching Velicka playing, but it didn't. To me Kalnietis was the like of Chomicius in his beginnings, but I never saw Kalnietis' beginnings in Velicka, they are too different type of players in my book, even characters or potential both had

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                    I did compare those before I've posted a reply and I don't really see them too similar despite some things you wrote. Such comparison would hit me earlier, while watching Velicka playing, but it didn't. To me Kalnietis was the like of Chomicius in his beginnings, but I never saw Kalnietis' beginnings in Velicka, they are too different type of players in my book, even characters or potential both had
                    I think I see your point, but not necessary agree with it, unless you talk about some 16-19yo Kalnietis. Maybe at this age Kalnietis looked like complete raw material and had tons of flaws, but even such view is not very convincing as he exploded in LKAL at 18 with 18/4/4 numbers showing serious potential. At 20, even if come obvious flaws (no-one is complete player at 20), he was treated as serious NBA prospect, standing out in both RBK Treviso Eurocamp 2006 and FIBA WC 2006. The narrative that Kalnietis made himself a name out of nothing, raw material with pure sweat and effort is not very convincing to me, there were some great performances already, clear sings of potential and upside and some real skills that transited well to PRO, but I can buy your point on Kalnietis being persistent to work on his weaknesses and really make strides towards improvement during his career, just, IMO, you overemphasising this (he was standing out since 18yo and wasn't as raw as you say, IMO). To me, Kalnietis and Velicka stooda rather on a similar path as 20yo, both showed great signs of potential, but also having some serious flaws to deal with (like shooting, decision making, polishing real PG skills, ect.). Here's the words to ground my take:

RBK Treviso Eurocamp 2006: Day Two Luis Fernández Luis Fernández @DraftExpress Jun 13, 2006, 09:30

Various players tied for the highest leaping mark, but the most interesting one is Mantas Kalnietis, a point guard who needs to gain maturity in his game. Hes really struggling here when it comes to distributing the ball and shooting from the perimeter, and even if he can do better as he showed with Zalgiris this season, there’s serious work to do. But he’s a talented kid who plays the game with passion and enjoys excellent tools with his 6-5 body in shoes and 37 inch one-step vertical leap, as he takes care of constantly proving by flying on both ends of the court. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...alnietis-1064/ ©DraftExpress

NBA Draft Intrigue at the 2006 World Championship - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...alnietis-1064/ ©DraftExpress

The shadow of Sarunas Jasikevicius was too big for anybody trying to play the point guard position for Lithuania in this tournament. Nobody can really fill his shoes, but at least Mantas Kalnietis did feed the hope of this country to finally find a decent successor for the great Saras at the point guard position, where they have suffered a big drought producing talents for several years. We’re talking about a completely type of player, an excellent athlete who is everyday more of a reliable playmaker, even if still inconsistent. Struggling with his perimeter shooting, he has successfully attacked the basket either to score himself or dish the ball, averaging 6 points and 2.8 assists per game. We’re talking about serious NBA potential here. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...alnietis-1064/ ©DraftExpress

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Marčiulionis with another great game 25/7/6. Seems like he could step onto LKL court for a try already. The rumour is Sarunas Marciulionis gave "no" to this. Anyway, probably the best 17yo PG to play in the NKL. Jasikevicius didn't even play, Kalnietis did, but his stats most likely was rather humble. And Perlas is winning, 5th in standings. Knowing how badly Rytas sucks at PG, IMO, they have as much as zero PGs, none is even similar to anything as true point guard, even 17yo Marciulionis could be refreshing for some 10 minutes in LKL with his creativity.

Will be interesting what will be the decision for the next season. To stay in Rytas system, or to head to NCAA. It would suck a lot if he would and up wasting his time in America for couple of years and such things sometimes happen there. With each day it's getting clearer Augustas is one of the biggest prospects in the country, ironically our 2 best players in 20's may again be Sabonis and Marciulionis.
                      Last edited by Straight forward; 01-09-2020, 10:06 PM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Marčiulionis with another great game 25/7/6. Seems like he could step onto LKL court for a try already. The rumour is Sarunas Marciulionis gave "no" to this. Anyway, probably the best 17yo PG to play in the NKL. Jasikevicius didn't even play, Kalnietis did, but his stats most likely was rather humble. And Perlas is winning, 5th in standings. Knowing how badly Rytas sucks at PG, IMO, they have as much as zero PGs, none is even similar to anything as true point guard, even 17yo Marciulionis could be refreshing for some 10 minutes in LKL with his creativity.

Will be interesting what will be the decision for the next season. To stay in Rytas system, or to head to NCAA. It would suck a lot if he would and up wasting his time in America for couple of years and such things sometimes happen there. With each day it's getting clearer Augustas is one of the biggest prospects in the country, ironically our 2 best players in 20's may again be Sabonis and Marciulionis.
                        Also watched Murauskas play yesterday. Dude has such freakeshly long arms. I expect Venskus gone next season and him taking over his place under the basket. He is doing fine so far in his first year for a 16 year old.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svajunas View Post
                          Also watched Murauskas play yesterday. Dude has such freakeshly long arms. I expect Venskus gone next season and him taking over his place under the basket. He is doing fine so far in his first year for a 16 year old.
                          He's 15yo still, and will remain so till 02 14. So this NKL season he's 15yo punk and may be having the best NKL season for such age ever. He surely is the best 15yo to be as solid as he was for U16 EC NT with 12.3/7.7. What I like about him, is that he does a lot with his skill. He's not Tubelis, who has obvious athletic advantage against his age and even older guys. Murauskas has a nice balance between the skill and physical tools who are also very fundamentally sound. When I saw him first time, he resembled as Jokic a little but, he so willingly was going coast to coast and had nice skills for a big. Too soon to look too deep, but he shoots threes so willingly, just that it won't drop thus far. He shoots 27.3% in NKL and shot 31.3% in U16 EC. I think his mechanics are decent and he can reach decent % in the future. Will be very interesting to see how this kind will develop. As far as I saw, his D is questionable, but too soon to make any conclusions.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• So I watched Perlas- Silute of last night's game. I hope Augustas not reading this as there will come a lot of positives words, but I think I'm not spoiling anything not only because there already were projection by one of most respected scouts on Marciulionis possibly having NBA upside after his U16 EC campaign, but also because I think he deserves such take. I watched a lot of his game this season and after 2 recent ones, where he combined 52pts, 18 assists and 18 rebounds, I have very clear thesis - we have a true world class material (point) guard prospect since Jasikevicius. Not maybe, not likely, not probably. We have a world class PG prospect again, for the first time since something like 1996. And I needed 4-5 months of this NKL season to really say this, even if there were that feeling since ever I saw him at U16 EC. Not only he improved his three point shooting, shoots with respectable 36%, but he substantially improved his scoring, finishing skills overall. He changes directions easily, driving equally strong both left and right side, he can crossover and get inside, looking for a mid range jumper (another added skill) or going further for a strong lay-up with either hand. If last season he still struggled highly with providing strong finishing under the boards, now he already has it. Another huge skill is that he can dive between the 2 defenders, split the defence and to get inside looking for his own shot or distributing the ball. He can step back and nail a jumper. So he has tons of moves and can score with three dimentions - threes, mid rage jumpers, lay-ups. Complete scoring arsenal. So that's only scoring. Now he has terrific IQ, creativity and passing skills. Differently than Kalnietis, or even Saras to some extent he has nearly perfect handles, is not right hand dominant, actually he passes the ball with his left hand even a bit more stronger than right hand, and never really have issues with turning the ball over while handling (at least at such level). Something which always bothered Kalnietis and even Saras during their careers. When Augustas turns the ball over, it's often due to being too fancy, or over creative while facilitating the ball, risking a lot. So he sees the floor, can throw a long pass to transition, can split the D with the long cross pass in the set offence, has great timing with p'n'r assists, can get inside and kickout a bullet pass. With his long limbs and terrific agility he has huge steps which allows him to get inside almost any time he wants to at NKL level already and makes him the clutch player as well. So that's offence. At D he has all the tools to be defender, can really lock the defender when he wants to, he is beast at stealing the ball, good awareness. So differently than Jasikevicius and Kalnietis, Marciulionis has an upside to be 2 ways guard, just as his father was.
                            It's really hard now even to say which sides are negative, knowing that he's only 17yo and those will most likely fade with time. But as it goes now, he still very thin, listed at 79kg, I think he's already a bit bigger than that, but not much. Despite that he shows really solid toughness and competitiveness regarding physical battles, that thin frame is ready for contact basketball and not avoiding it. He's not softy at all. I could question his assertiveness at times, like he shies away from completely dominating and controlling the game, playing without that huge swagger which he already probably deserves, like saying "I'm the main dog here and you better use to that", but even at this regard, he basically torched and ripped apart Silute's team in last minutes of the game single handedly. Aside his thin frame, there might be doubts about his athleticism and explosiveness overall when we speak about NBA upside (not as strong and as good leaper as his father was obviously), but he has those long strides, long steps and shows tremendous fighting spirit, which allows me to project that he will be very hard to contain once he will add a bit more mass to his frame and will be finishing under the boards even stronger.

To sum up, off course, he still needs to learn a lot and to continue work as hard as he can, and I don't really care whenever he reaches TOP EL level or NBA level, but we have a legitimate PG star prospect, IMO. It's getting harder to even get to the spots where one can criticise him knowing his age. Anything below my mentioned level, would be the failure seeing the package and the potential he possesses. He's a true world class material as a prospect, and I'm confident with my projection.

Here's his 14 assists game's highs:
                            Last edited by Straight forward; 01-10-2020, 09:02 PM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Video on Marciulionis. Most things already discussed here, but plenty of highlights and some thoughts by his current coach. Seems like yet he's completely open to his future plans, may be the same Rytas, NCAA or even something else:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• It's still kinda hard to choose in which thread to post it, but Ignas Brazdeikis finally applied for LT citizenship, I guess there shouldn't be any obstacles for him to get it - born in Lithuania to Lith parents, can communicate in Lith language. Nauseda seems to be more open minded president too, if his advising committee on citizenship won't screw the things, Ignas should become LT citizen soon enough

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information