Page 130 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 2624

Thread: Lithuanian talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Hope that he won't grow much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Ermm...OK.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Well the U16 for the 2004 borns are over. Next summer 03/04 generations will be playing U18 and 05s will be playing U16

Let's agree Velicka developing into a baller. If he can draw 11 personal fouls, to steal 7 balls, grab and facilitate the same playing in France elite league (be it exhibition, but still), he's ain't another Cizauskas, he's aint another Redikas. Dude's physicality transiting to PRO's nicely. He's intimidating other players with his size, elite first step and slashing ability. He can't shoot, god help me, almost not a bit at the moment But even if he remains 29 percent kinda three point shooter, I've seen enough of Velicka to say we have baller at PG out there. He has issues, but he's a flat out upcoming PRO PG and I believe he might be not much worse than Kalnietis in his prime if not better. Will be interesting to watch how our three young PG studs will mesh together in the NT eventually. I can see both Jokubaitis and Marciulionis stepping onto 2 soil a little bit as both are more versatile scorers compared to Velicka, while Velicka playing entirely PG intimidating others physically for some 10 to 18 minutes. Also hope that both Marciulionis and Velicka would develop into 2 ways athletic guards, locking down the opponent's backcourts with their lengthy and strong limbs in clutch. Augustas already has steady D presence, while Velicka surely has a shot to develop into such. He provides dominant defensive stretches when his focus is there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Velicka looking like lithuanian Westbrook so far,doing everything by himself individually without no brain what so ever.He can miss 6 shots no problem he gonna shoot next time again

Kalnietis comparisons is not even close,Velicka have nothing in common with Mantas that always was team orientated smart guard.Smart and Velicka have nothing in common.

But i give Velicka that he is real personality that lithuanian basketball is missing right now,some will like him,some will hate him.Dude looks that he dont give a f*** what other thinks.His character remind me of youngsters Macas, Grigonis,Redikas ,playing style lithuanian westbrick so far.

I give him chance becoming NT player one day,but hopefully not PG,but SG. When real Westbrook plays SG he is way better player overall. Such selfish style players cant play PG for winning teams,Sg they usually can.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Smart and Velicka have nothing in common.
    Wow, great analysis, bruh, I'm super impressed.

It's not to purify the comparison with Kalnietis, but 20yo Kalnietis was jacking off crazy shots and running to transition, that's pretty much it. It would be very interesting question whenever 20yo Kalnietis would had run Prienai level club better than 20yo Velicka did this season (12,2ppg, 4,7as). Kalnietis needed three four years more till he was ready for real PRO ball. Velicka will go to similar path, IMO, more or less.

Velicka is fine for 20yo PG. He will learn little things and will add more control of the team, but to say that the guy who was providing 6.6apg at U20 and 16.4ppg (just f.e. Kalnietis best youth record is 11.5ppg, 4.8as) is dumb.... The only thing that can prevent him becoming solid PG is himself (ceasing working hard) and injuries.

And a joke at the end. NBA analysts see Velicka and write:

He sees the court exceptionally well, being able to slice the defense with his tight handle and find the open man on the perimeter, showing his impressive passing ability. He has very good organizational skills, not afraid of taking the responsibility in clutch moments.
    He’s a very effective creator off pick and roll plays thanks to his great passing instincts and high basketball IQ.

Shawshank sees Velicka and writes:

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Smart and Velicka have nothing in common.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 08-24-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Velicka is always with the ball always.Westbrick 3 seasons was doing 10+assists ,but you consider him good passer and real pg creator? I dont.Same with Velicka.

Stats dont show true picture if that guard dominates the ball.Velicka grabs rebounds,gives passes and shoots like crazy every game like Westbrick.His stats looks nice,but his teams goes nowhere same as Westbrooks.

Velicka stats always looks nice,but now tell me where his teams got any suxcess team wise? Smart guard is not trying to do everything by himself, if pg sees he is not making shots he dont 10+ shots per game.Sorry my understanding what is smart pg and what isnt is diffrent from nba people.For them all those american style 1vs 1 players is smart Im not suprised at all nba analytic liked Velicka.

Stop comparing Kalnietis stats outside NT with every youngster.That doesnt show nothing.You can compare 19 old age S.Marciulionis stats they were even worse than Kalnietis.So what? that shows nothing to me. Cizauskas,Janavicius had better stats than Kalnietis too in youths tournaments and that didnt show nothing about their real careers. Take Redikas stats in youths , he should have been main SG for years in NT by this logic. Grigonis survived,Redikas tallent ltu basketball lost.That always will happen in every generation.

Kalnietis played for NT 2 times better than anywhere else.Not everyone is built like that and very rarely such stories like Mantas happens.I will just remind you Kalnietis was one of those few examples where player u-22 looked ok in their NT men debut.

Velicka have pluses he has american players mindset and personality as i mentioned.If you like your pg shooting 10+ shots with under 40% ok, i dont .
    Last edited by Shawshank; 08-25-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Oh, boy, Shawshank always give some job to do...

FOA, the comparison with Westbrook is out of hand. One of the most athletic NBA guards ever in comparison with Velicka...That's one. Second, even if we are comparing them in ballhoging aspect alone, Westrbook is already complete player, other is just playing his first true PRO year. You're missing the point that he's in development stage, he's far away from being complete product. Velicka is more gifted p'n'r PG than Russ. That's where you overlook Velick'as value. He's not only an elite slasher, but also really great at p'n'r. Also, you don't think NBA people don't understand Russ flaws, I hope? It would extremely naive. Even with them, he's still a star in the league and provides super dominant stretches for any team. At the end of the day Russ and Durant tandem was a half step away from the title. To compare Velicka to Westbrook as some negative things is really funny TBH

Now, I never said that Velicka already is what he should be as PG. I mentioned plenty of time he needs more intangibles as PG, he needs to switch tempos, to control the team, to be more steady with his facilitating, to improve shot selection and ect. But you highly exaggerate his disadvantages. He surely has some things to improve, but while he has flaws he also possesses brilliances which you overlook. Even if he wouldn't improve his game all that much (I believe he'll surely be improving with time as he does even now), with his elite slashing, solid p'n'r and passing profile and very solid D, he's a baller. F.e. Lekavicius also doesn't posses complete PG profile, but he has his tools as floater, solid jumper, p'n'p action. So will Velicka most likely will be useful EL calibre PG coming from the bench with his strong slashes and p'n'r presence. And that's his floor basically, IMO.

Now you use Kalnietis as a contra argument to Velicka, while eating your own tail. Velicka is basically thirty percent three point shooter, just as Kalnietis always was, that's one. Second, yes, you are OK with under 40 percent PG, is just that you don't know that. Kalnietis in 2010 was 39,4 percent at FG, 2015 34,6 and he never went much plus 40 really. Even if you take Jasikevicius, not only terrific facilitator, but truly good shooting PG who went for around fifty in some tournaments, he has 38,7 of his MVP 2003 campaign, 40,6 in his bronze 2007 campaign. You missing that scoring is not primarily duty of PG, and even if that scoring first PG, the guy should handle the ball, create, facilitate, make decisions, take tons of broken plays, last second crappy shots which takes the percentage down. Velicka does a lot as PG, he provide elite toughness, athleticism, elite slashing, very good p'n'r plays, very good long passes, he rebounds, he moves without the ball a little bit. Defensively he's aggressive ball hawk, he can intimidate softer PGs physically, he's a good on ball defender. High motor player overall. His problem is that his offensive motor is too one dimensional, he can't really slow things down at efficient manner yet, he's prone to brake plays and lacks patience and all around half court offense, he needs to move more without the ball, to adjust into spot up shooters or cutters situations more flexibly and ect. I think he will improve his flaws, but even if not he already shows that package that should be marketable at EL soon.

And, no, Kalnietis never played two times better in NT. He just were able to exceed in the NT. He was a 10pts, 5as kinda player in EL in his prime (LOKO), playing next to Calathes. How his NT average, some 12pts, 5as is 2 times better?

And about Velicka's winning. U16 EB silver, U17 FIBA bronze, U18 EB silver, U18 EB bronze and even in U20 fifth spot (losing to golden Israel's generation with Avdija in 4finals) wasn't too shabby. No, Velicka never won anything, never carried his team and never sunk game winners...

Please, don't put Cizauskas and specially Redikas here. Those never showed such glimpses of dominance in LKL as Velicka already showed. Velicka already stands on a different soil and his dominant performance in first France's leagues exhibition game only conforms that.

To some up my take on Velicka, he surely has flaws and is more scoring first type of PG, but his impressive physical profile, elite slashing ability, good p'n'r, passing skills and very solid/good D is something you can't ignore and pretend that we are witnessing such breed every year At the very worst I see him as the NT energy guy scoring PG coming of the bench for aggressive 10 minutes of the bench, providing offensive and athletic presence.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 08-25-2020 at 04:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Solid debut for Marciulionis in exhibition, but true LKL environment. 13pts (3/4 threes), 4as in 18min against Nevezis. I really root for this fellow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

https://m.basketnews.lt/news-141008-...-pasiseke.html

The tallest Lithuanian ever? I remember him a bit in Rytas system a couple of years ago before he moved to Spain. He wasn't so tall and had a decent soft shot. He needs his body to be strenghten but anyway he's not lucky not to be born some 15 years before his day birth.
    Last edited by Dreamcatcher; 08-27-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Continuing Velicka's theme, I watched his recent game. 15/15 FTs, that's nice, specially that he was 7/9 in previous game. Clear sign of improvement hopefully. I rarely watch France league, really liberal basketball, even more liberal than ACB. Tonds of quick ball movement, transition basketball, so it fits Velicka nicely. However, most players are black players, I would say physicality and athleticism is surely superior in comparison with LKL. Much more quicker league without a single doubt. Yet, no-one can't stay in front of Velicka. He creates separation and driving angles very easily. I really surprised how well his physicality transits to PRO. At U16 at first glance he seemed a bit chubby and half step slow, but so has been in consideration with Doncic (not a comparison with Velicka...), and now it seems that Velicka possesses one elite skill - dominant driving ability. 21 fouls drawn in 2 games. If you have one elite skill, you already on a good path. His D is the same, sometimes he seems like a stud, going extremely hard over screens and desrupting ball handler with his long arms, but sometimes he seems not motivated, too laid back and risks too much on the help D. I would say he has mediocre D motor naturally and he tends to save his energy for O. It will be mental task for him to retain that focus which will be the key in higher level. He was forced to take one last second crazy shot from way beyond, but took others from decent positions, one went in and out, but overall I hardly see him becoming reliable shooter, he has that obvious inconsistency in his release. Can drop three deadly clutch threes and can miss open threes rather badly. But I liked his body language, it's not some typical 20yo youngster, dude feels great with the ball, communicates with his teammates intensively (that's a surprise knowing his rather introverted personality), I like that he seems comfortable as foreigner and already establishing himself as one of the leaders, at least in this phase of preparation. I can only remind that France elite league is where Valinskas completely collapsed last year and the guy was running with NT jerseys in windows after that, while our true upcoming guard studs in Velicka, D. Giedraitis didn't receive any interest and they already could actually. I don't how to treat this other than incompetence of our NT coaching and scouting staff.

Really looking forward how he'll manage real season games, but physically he;s a tough dude to contain and probably he'll have enough chances to be aggressive offensively the way this team is build, unless they are lacking some key players now. He will head to the FT regularly. Probably a strong start of the season and than some slump in the mid season. At the moment he relies on his dominant physicality too much, but with time should learn where to save his energy and how to distribute it more equally through the season.

Here's the game:

https://www.basketnews.lt/news-14103...sirodymas.html
    Last edited by Straight forward; 08-27-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Velicka keeps dominating exhibition stage, this time nailing 23pts and 5/6 threes. But most surprising stat thus far is his FTs. 6/6 in this game and 27/29 in three games. The guy used to be 60 something % FT shooter and recently has been nailing those in impressive fashion. Averaging 30EF in those three games. 27 drawn fouls in 3 games sounds pretty good as well. Really happy to see such development thus far. We lacking standouts as fresh air and any indication of anyone developing into such is very refreshing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'll wait for official games and whole season to judge Velicka. FTs is a good sign, he was very streaky shooter from the line, but afterall Velicka played in that summer league, had some game experience, so he is already in much better shape than the rest (didn't heard about such summer leagues in France), no wonder he is doing that good. Also he started last season in dominating fashion, after spending summer with u-20 NT, but it lasted for about a month, then big drop and only right before pandemic he regained his shape. It was ok for Prienai to wait for that long, I bet in France he'd have been released before Christmas. Anyway, it'll be interesting to follow him

Good point. I also foresee a slump in the mid season, but hopefully lesser and shorter than in previous year. That's normal for young players. BTW, Velicka is being used in his club both as 1 and 2. He's not handling the ball all the time, because they have another big PG prospect Matthieu Gauzin (19yo) and Jalen Adams who love to take the ball in their hands. I find it very useful for Velicka to have such experience, differently than in Prienai when the game was collapsing once Velcka would stop running the at the point. This should expand his offensive flexibility. The way basketball moves towards flexibility, we also surely will use a lot of different guard combination in the NT and our upcoming PGs will play together as well. That's why Saras also looking for players who are versatile enough that he could throw them over different positions. I liked Jokubaitis and Lekavicius backcourt in LKL last season, this duo was ready to dominate NKL, this season they might be ready to play together even in EL a little bit. If the projection is that we are a bit thin at nominal 2 (I see only Grigonis and upcoming D. Giedraitis as nominal SG studs), we may not feel much of a lack here if we will develop plenty of all around and flexible PGs in Lekavicius, Jokubaitis, Velicka, Marciulionis. They should be ready to step onto 2 soil or to play that "positionles" backourt basketball when 2 PGs have no expressed position at O and switching the duties all the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Velicka keeps dominating exhibition stage, this time nailing 23pts and 5/6 threes. But most surprising stat thus far is his FTs. 6/6 in this game and 27/29 in three games. The guy used to be 60 something % FT shooter and recently has been nailing those in impressive fashion. Averaging 30EF in those three games. 27 drawn fouls in 3 games sounds pretty good as well. Really happy to see such development thus far. We lacking standouts as fresh air and any indication of anyone developing into such is very refreshing.
    Even though there wasnt official stats in summer league he did shoot FT's rather well. His three's also looked better, but sometimes hes just way off. Anyway judging from FT's we can assume that he still can improve on his shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    Even though there wasnt official stats in summer league he did shoot FT's rather well. His three's also looked better, but sometimes hes just way off. Anyway judging from FT's we can assume that he still can improve on his shot.
    Probably an indication that he might. However, FTs alone would mean a lot for him. He's an impressive slasher, will head to the FT line every night.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As someone who observes all youth developments in Europe. My first Lithuanian prospect is Paulius Murauskas. I dont say the rest is not talented but Murauskas is indeed in a different level. Especially offensively a very talented guy. His ability to absorb contacts is hilarious in his age. Solid shooter, can create a bit for himself (room for development is there), runs the floor very well despite being not the most athletic one, a superb finisher at the rim, absorbs contact very well. A very solid offensive wing with a very solid wingspan.

Defensively, could be better. Has mostly the wrong attitude which is very sad. Legs are too stiff and his gravity point is too high so that he backs off too easily. Almost no recovery when he gets beaten by one vs. one, lateral movement could also be better.

Lacks explosiveness and athleticism for a five star prospect but four stars can be given without hesitation.

Solid scouting, Toruko.

I reserved my self to make three branches, and have Tubelis, Murauskas, Brazdeikis, Marciulionis in the first branch of top Lith prospects
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not so cool signs from Dovydas Giedraitis side, seems like he's with some kind of injury or illness. He already has some record of injuries, and that is always an obstacle for player's development. Last season injury was one of the factors why he lost his spot in the main roster, now he already missed 2 preseason games and that's the stage where young players can play heavy minutes. Might be an injury prone. Well...Grigonis is also a little but of an injury prone, but that didn't deny his ways of progress. Hope the same for Giedraitis because the guy is really talented.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I tried to track down Velicka's game tonight, but I failed and yet he remains dominant. 35 drawn fouls and 37/41 FTs in 4 games. This time dropping 26pts, another 30EFF performance. The last 20yo Lith with such pre-season? Any thoughts?

It will be interesting to see how the competition between Velicka and 30yo Travis Leslie (who just arrived to the team) will take place.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 09-01-2020 at 07:53 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 130 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 LastLast