Page 104 of 117 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2328

Thread: Lithuanian talents.

  1. #2061
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    1,974
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Briefly...I have in mind U20 players - those who still competes in the youth tournaments. So Kulboka and Sedekerskis are out of the list, but even if they would, i don't know as i've barely seen them since a long time and things weren't going well for them because of various reasons. Those two and Varnas were top3 Lithuanian talents some years ago, but things were so unlucky that all of them can finish being only LKL level players.

    1) Tubelis. I also put him as the 1st option. So offensively all around big at that age has been smth i haven't seen since Motiejunas.
    2) Jarumbauskas. It's more "i like" than "talent" or "perspective" at the moment, but there are always those who weren't so talented like some others, but eventually they ended up being a way better players. I think he's the most promising "dark horse". He's an exploasive and offensively 1 vs 1 a great player. He lacks consistence - he can be very good in the one game, but then dissapear in another.
    3) Sirvydis. He has a great offensive touch, but i lack agresiveness in his game. He's too "catch and shoot a triple" player. When things are closer to the basket, he's becoming a worse player - that's what i can't say about 1st and 2nd players in the list.
    4) Jokubaitis. A matured pg for his age.
    5) Velicka. Even if i wasn't hyped a lot about him all the time, i believe (or i want to) that he can become a light version of Calathes if it's possible to say like that. Basically he needs to improve one thing - his shooting. Also you have to be lucky choosing the team (or to be chosen by the right team). He wasn't lucky in Spain and lost some important years. It's not only about him: Sedekerskis, Kulboka, Sargiunas...Lot's of talent.

    Some other dark horses - Venskus, Kisunas.

  2. #2062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Briefly...I have in mind U20 players - those who still competes in the youth tournaments. So Kulboka and Sedekerskis are out of the list, but even if they would, i don't know as i've barely seen them since a long time and things weren't going well for them because of various reasons. Those two and Varnas were top3 Lithuanian talents some years ago, but things were so unlucky that all of them can finish being only LKL level players.
    To me a player is still prospect while he's searching his identity at the PRO level. I believe 24yo or so Geben was easily a prospect early in the season, just after NCAA, while now he established his identity in LKL and became a bordeline or actual Zalgiris' material, so he's no prospect any more. Sedekerskis and Kulboka are still very much a prospects. Also I rank them and others mainly looking at their Youth NT experience and few glimpses of their yet fragmental PRO career, but mainly at Youth tournaments to judge their overall potential. There's no way Sedekerskis and Kulboka (unless bad injuries) ending up merely LKL players, like no way Even now their boosting with potential. 19-20yo Sedekerskis was freak of efficiency at LKL for Kedainiai and that club is one big of a mess which has no idea what their doing. Both are physically gifted and talented, to me Euroleague is their floor. As for Varnas, most people including you and me overrated him only because he looked very well among 16yo where he was able to overcome his lack of toughness, but with the age he was declining, exactly because he lacked and still lacks physicality and was facing tougher and tougher competition. Now that he bulked, he lost his explosiveness, agility, smoothness, even shooting touch. Another victim of the lack of physicality. We had plenty of those as Vasiliauskas, Navickas and many others.

    As for your list, I like your taste on Jarumbauskas, to me he's also a borderline elite prospect and might prevail against some guys of my list, but I surely don't see now Velicka's among top prospects. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, but now I expect him to be a borderline NT material, Eurocup's material, much like Janavičius is these days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  3. #2063

    Default

    Here's an interesting article on why Sirvydis rejected all invitations of NBA teams for individual workouts while he's training in USA and waiting for the draft. One theory, he has agreement with some of the teams, likely the Hawks which wants a shooter and has couple of spot on picks for Sirvydis. Another, also likely scenario, Sirvydis don't want to go for workouts after long season because he would open current weak spots of him. Like rather thin, soft body, maybe doesn't even feel 100% fresh and ready to go. Hopefully it the first scenario. I liked comparison with Rodney Hood:
    https://www.15min.lt/24sek/naujiena/...s-1130-1158694
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  4. #2064
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    1,974
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    To me a player is still prospect while he's searching his identity at the PRO level. I believe 24yo or so Geben was easily a prospect early in the season, just after NCAA, while now he established his identity in LKL and became a bordeline or actual Zalgiris' material, so he's no prospect any more. Sedekerskis and Kulboka are still very much a prospects. Also I rank them and others mainly looking at their Youth NT experience and few glimpses of their yet fragmental PRO career, but mainly at Youth tournaments to judge their overall potential. There's no way Sedekerskis and Kulboka (unless bad injuries) ending up merely LKL players, like no way Even now their boosting with potential. 19-20yo Sedekerskis was freak of efficiency at LKL for Kedainiai and that club is one big of a mess which has no idea what their doing. Both are physically gifted and talented, to me Euroleague is their floor. As for Varnas, most people including you and me overrated him only because he looked very well among 16yo where he was able to overcome his lack of toughness, but with the age he was declining, exactly because he lacked and still lacks physicality and was facing tougher and tougher competition. Now that he bulked, he lost his explosiveness, agility, smoothness, even shooting touch. Another victim of the lack of physicality. We had plenty of those as Vasiliauskas, Navickas and many others.

    As for your list, I like your taste on Jarumbauskas, to me he's also a borderline elite prospect and might prevail against some guys of my list, but I surely don't see now Velicka's among top prospects. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, but now I expect him to be a borderline NT material, Eurocup's material, much like Janavičius is these days.
    You like Janavicius, don't you? I remember you said one day that he could reach NBA. Also few times you put him in the final NT roster. And that "borderline NT material, Eurocup's material" can be legal only adter the last season, but he's 30 y.o. and all the time before that it would had been a too high defenition about him. Basically all the best 89 y.o. generation talents failed: Janavicius, Vasiliauskas, Cepukaitis. Kuzminskas and Juskevicius were average there.

  5. #2065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    You like Janavicius, don't you? I remember you said one day that he could reach NBA. Also few times you put him in the final NT roster. And that "borderline NT material, Eurocup's material" can be legal only adter the last season, but he's 30 y.o. and all the time before that it would had been a too high defenition about him. Basically all the best 89 y.o. generation talents failed: Janavicius, Vasiliauskas, Cepukaitis. Kuzminskas and Juskevicius were average there.
    I didn't get your whole post. Too complicated. How Kuzminskas failed exactly? He's no average.

    Anyway, as for U20, I'm curious to see what's with Sargiunas. Uleckas and Velicka should have some fun. Other than that I think likely an average team, but I have no idea at the moment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  6. #2066
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    I didn't get your whole post. Too complicated. How Kuzminskas failed exactly? He's no average.

    Anyway, as for U20, I'm curious to see what's with Sargiunas. Uleckas and Velicka should have some fun. Other than that I think likely an average team, but I have no idea at the moment.
    He meant 'average in juniors' When I first read about younger, more talented Kuzminskas i went to Nklyga.lt and he was averaging I think 2.3 pppg among peers

  7. #2067
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    1,974
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    I didn't get your whole post. Too complicated. How Kuzminskas failed exactly? He's no average.

    Anyway, as for U20, I'm curious to see what's with Sargiunas. Uleckas and Velicka should have some fun. Other than that I think likely an average team, but I have no idea at the moment.
    Not Kuz, but Janavicius failed, just like other main talents of that generation - Vasiliauskas and Cepukaitis. Kuzminskas was an average player there. That's what i wrote.

  8. #2068

    Default

    As Basketball Without Borders Europe Camp concludeed in Latvia, Ąžuolas Tubelis takes home GRIT Award (for resilience and mental toughness). Nice to see him standing out:

    https://www.talkbasket.net/44639-18t...udes-in-latvia
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  9. #2069

    Default

    A word on Marciulionis and Tubelis in BWB:


    AUGUSTAS MARCIULONIS (LITHUANIA)
    You can rarely see a player instructing others in All Star game. Expect him to be ready for pro basketball very soon. Quite defined body already but very good dribbling, great passing skills and top notch IQ. Not an event for him, seemed a bit careless on purpose and looks better in serious games. Pull up which used to be a question mark looked greatly improved. Can be possibly very good 4 year player in High Major team.


    AZUOLAS TUBELIS (LITHUANIA)
    Kind of Jankunas with better speed. Fills the statline with blocks, steals, drawn fouls etc. Understands each other with Marciulonis perfectly. Thick in upper and lower body, can jump and drive in straight line. Shaky shooter.



    https://eurospects.com/?p=15709
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  10. #2070

    Default

    Jarumbauskas with u19 laid down u20. 25pts in 22minutes. With Sirvydis out he has the stage to make a name for himself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  11. #2071
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    1,974
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Jarumbauskas with u19 laid down u20. 25pts in 22minutes. With Sirvydis out he has the stage to make a name for himself.
    On the other hand, Vilys who also had a very good season in Perlas, can't do the same as Petrauskas benches him a second summer in a row.

    U20 team miss Kisunas and as a result don't have any single decent big man - that's too bad. U19 team at least have Venskus who is undersized a little bit, but good.

  12. #2072
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    On the other hand, Vilys who also had a very good season in Perlas, can't do the same as Petrauskas benches him a second summer in a row.

    U20 team miss Kisunas and as a result don't have any single decent big man - that's too bad. U19 team at least have Venskus who is undersized a little bit, but good.
    Benched after averaging 5.6 points? How unfair

  13. #2073
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    1,974
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Benched after averaging 5.6 points? How unfair
    What are those 5.6 pts about?

  14. #2074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    On the other hand, Vilys who also had a very good season in Perlas, can't do the same as Petrauskas benches him a second summer in a row.

    U20 team miss Kisunas and as a result don't have any single decent big man - that's too bad. U19 team at least have Venskus who is undersized a little bit, but good.
    I think Viys should be moved to SG section if Petrauskas thinks Giedraitis is better as a back-up PG. The SG line is not so impressive with Sirvidis and that Zalgiris dude (what's his name?) out. Arlauskas I think out of shape and overrated overall (I wonder what Saras seen in him, aside good fundamentals, I just don't see an X factor, he's not special, IMO). I would use Jokubutais/Giedraitis (PG) and Jarumbauskas/Vilys (SG) combinations a lot, also would use Jarumbauskas as point forward, obviously he's ready to be the main dog along with Jokubaitis. It's only preparation so I'm sure Petrauskas trying to figure this out yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  15. #2075

    Default

    So tonight is the drafts night. Too bad it's so late, I'm not going to watch it, but it will be interesting. Aside Sirvydis and Brazdeikis, Jogela and Echodas have some theoretical chances to be drafted. Both had workout with NBA teams.

    Anyway, the case with Sirvydis is really mysterious. I have little doubt he will be drafted, but now it's very interesting where. I as said, he skipped all workouts which implies he has an agreement. Also I watched this fresh video (the dude is absolutely lost, he has Sirvydis as a bad passer and he "watched him many times in Euroleague" ) and there's interesting information - Mavs international scout Tony Ronzone was asked about Sirvydis and his answer was "I don't wanna say too much, I'm gonna keep it hush hush" which indicates Mavs might be interesting in Sirvydis with their 37pick or that there's that agreement which could spread among the scouts in the NBA Will be interesting to see. Hope bith Iggy and Sirvydis get drafted at the beginning of second round.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvfHfqL-b3I
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  16. #2076
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    He's 203-204 without shoes now, according to 15min/24sek

  17. #2077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    He's 203-204 without shoes now, according to 15min/24sek
    And it seems there's plenty of chances not to see him in Rytas next season.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  18. #2078

    Default

    So the rumour was correct about 37 pick. Too Mavs traded this pick and Sirvydis ended up in messy organization with the Pistons and good old buddy Dwane Casey Obviously that's the highest pick he could get these days and it's good for him. The rumour is that Sirvydis might be starting the season in the D league or even stay with the Pistons. But I think it would be the best for him to sill play with Rytas one more year.

    I think now we have 2 drafted wings in Kulboka and Sirvydis who both have realistic chances at least to get a shot in NBA if they will work hard and will stay PRO. Both have what's extremely valuable in NBA today, that's all around skills and most importantly shooting. Gudaitis is also drafted and I also think he had some decent chances to in the NBA if not injury, but overall I see him more of being a Euroleague's player.

    Nice to see Brazdeikis being picked 47 by Knicks. It's better than nothing. It's on him proving he can give something to the Knicks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  19. #2079
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,048
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    6 Lithuania players was selected in first rounds all 6 had seriuos atleast 5 years NBA career.

    Sirvydis become 8th player selected in 2 round and only one had seriuos NBA career Songaila.

    2 rounders are with big if...or you have to show real results on euroleague level or you have to be really liked by team that selected you to give you a chance.Songaila shown seriuos results in CSKA team before Kings called him to their team.Gudaitis before injury was close repeating Songaila story.

    Brazdeikis is older than Sirvydis and is consider weaker tallent? Sirvydis is atleast 2-3 good years away from our nt team so why so much talks about Brazdeikis citizenship? As I understand he nowhere close our nt team level today.Same goes to Kulboka.

    But I have to mentione from all 15 ltu drafted players all of them have seriuos career in our nt except for Andriuskevicius.So maybe those NBA drafters understands a little bit

    Maybe there is something in Kulboka,Sirvydis, Brazdeikis trio looking to the future,but first seriuos look most likely going to be in 2021 for them in our nt.


    2019-2020 years I don't believe neither of them can help our nt
    Last edited by Shawshank; 06-21-2019 at 12:36 PM.

  20. #2080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    2 rounders are with big if...or you have to show real results on euroleague level or you have to be really liked by team that selected you to give you a chance.Songaila shown seriuos results in CSKA team before Kings called him to their team.Gudaitis before injury was close repeating Songaila story.
    Euroleague has nothing do do here. Drafts usually is about potential not a current level. Those players who goes off the drafts and stays in Euroleague are not going anywhere, NBA clubs will catch them later if they want. Drafts is all about grabbing a young stud before other NBA teams garbs him. Other thing, Songaila started to play in NBA as he was 25yo. Sirvydis and Kulboka cases are very much different. One was drafted as 20yo other as fresh 19yo. I assume both clubs, specially Pistons are considering one or maximum two seasons in Europe for those guys to have a shot in NBA. Today you can jump to NBA from nowhere and to play well. Look at Kurucs. He was literally warming the bench in Barsa and next season - BOOM! He's balling in NBA.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Brazdeikis is older than Sirvydis and is consider weaker tallent? Sirvydis is atleast 2-3 good years away from our nt team so why so much talks about Brazdeikis citizenship? As I understand he nowhere close our nt team level today.Same goes to Kulboka.
    You got it wrong here. Brazdeikis is much more ready to NBA than Sirvydis and Kulboka. He's tough, big and polished enough to start playing even next season. He was drafted so low because he doesn't have such a good upside as Sirvydis. He is pretty much done product, he will add a little bit and polish his game, but he is not a great athlete for NBA, he's not a great shooter, he's not a great defender and he has a little bit of everything offensively, but not great at anything. That makes him mediocre NBA prospect. Why we give him citizenship? Because we don't have a bunch NBA prospects and he still has all chances to be a very solid player. The way I see it he's in the category of Kuzminskas type players. That is a borderline or actual NBA role player. Do we have many of that kind? No. So that's why we want to land him in NT, or at least to give him a shot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Page 104 of 117 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •