Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142
Results 2,821 to 2,832 of 2832

Thread: Lithuanian talents.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    But I support the coach playing our STUDS hell or high water. That's the right attitude.
    Yes, play the studs, absolutely but the studs are determined by their play for the team and not the rep that they brought with them to the team.

First priority for Youth team is to develop best individuals. To bring something to the senior NT. Winning medals is surely second priority and that's how it should be.
    I disagree. Developing players for the senior team is indeed nice but I'll take medals anywhere, particularly these days.

Last edited by Hepcat; 07-30-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post

I disagree. Developing players for the senior team is indeed nice but I'll take medals anywhere, particularly these days.
    That's one of the reasons why we suck at ISO strong players. This way you only go against something that we have been doing right lately and that wasn't much (Javtokas and even current federation talk about it explicitly). And for the last, Velicka, ultimate ISO guy at times in YOUTH basketball brought 4 medals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Greece - Lithuania | 04/08/2021 - FIBA U18 MEN'S European Challenger 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z21g1sUsVpU

This U18 NT barely has standouts. Mockus in a long run might be interesting, he has some athleticism, explosiveness, passing touch, but I don't really see big upside. Butkus is quite interesting, but lacks a degree of coordination and talent. IMO, his current physical advantage will not help much in PROs and even know he doesn't really standout much. Very equal roster of average guys, sort of typical Lithuanian Youth NT which won't give much if any dividends for senior NT. From 2003 I see only Lelevicius as the guy with high upside.

This U18 NT barely has standouts. Mockus in a long run might be interesting, he has some athleticism, explosiveness, passing touch, but I don't really see big upside. Butkus is quite interesting, but lacks a degree of coordination and talent. IMO, his current physical advantage will not help much in PROs and even know he doesn't really standout much. Very equal roster of average guys, sort of typical Lithuanian Youth NT which won't give much if any dividends for senior NT. From 2003 I see only Lelevicius as the guy with high upside.
    You don't know that. There were always those guys who weren't so talented but came up being stronger players than those who projected as some prospects.
    Kuzminskas was an average player in his generation's NT where the big prospects were Vasiliauskas and Janavicius whom you projected NBA.
    Giedraitis is top4 Lithuanian player in club basketball but he didn't even play in youth NT's. (I don't count u20 where he was 12th skinny guy on the bench).
    In Lekavicius's generation all the attention was gathered by Grigonis abd Dimsa. He wasn't seriously countedas a good one before moving to Zalgiris and it wouldn't happen if Kalnietis wouldn't have left.
    It's far from being only about talent.

From those 2003 y.b. players Butkus has the best hand but i also think he will lack fundamentals in a senior basketball.
    One of Butka brothers might be good.
    The same Mockus might be someone like Butkevicius.
    Kiudulas doesn't shine but he has a good body and he can play. It's about work and improvement now.
    Baltrusaitis has a good 3pointer for a pf and he was one of the best here a couple of years ago, but then stopped.

P.S. Does this forum work fine for others?
    Last edited by Dreamcatcher; 08-06-2021 at 09:56 AM.

It works fine for me as long as I remember to click the "Remember Me" box when logging in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Kiudulas doesn't shine but he has a good body and he can play.
    And he scored 20 pts against France. He and Mockus were the only guys who could bring any solid numbers in that lost game.

Dreamcatcher, I meant that there's no eyes opening studs as prospects now. There's no stand-out prospects, no Kleiza's, JV's, Sabonis' or even Velicka's. As for possible late-bloomers, off course, there's always a possibility and I have admit I didn't watch many of this NT.

But also we shouldn't over-emphasize guys like R. Giedraitis, Butkevicius, Lekavicius, and now probably Kariniauskas. Did they ever become NT studs? No. We have no single example when absolute no-name in Youth level becomes absolute stud in senior level. Kuzminskas is the closest thing we ever had probably, but by no means he became elite or something. He at least had worth mentioning streak 2015-2017, being important role player and even one of leaders in 2017, but that's it. We shouldn't go as far as discussing Rooney's Youth stats, that's complicated data, Soviet NT and shit. I don't want to include Siskauskas as well, cause I think he was just overlooked, no-one knew about him and he was simply not known for basketball schools and coaches (he started to play basketball at 15). The thing is that most NT studs showed some sort of promise at Youth level.

1959 Chomicius
    1960 Kurtinaitis
    1961 Krapikas
    1962 ---
    1963 ---
    1964 Sabonis, Marciulionis
    1965 Visockas
    1966 ---
    1967 ---
    1968 Lukminas
    1969 Einikis
    1970 ---
    1971 Karnisovas, Maskoliunas, Pacesas
    1972 ---
    1973 Stombergas, E. Zukauskas
    1974 Timinskas, Praskevicius, Adomaitis
    1975 M. Zukaukas, T.Masiulis
    1976 Jasikevicius, Jurkunas, Sestokas
    1977 Kaukenas, Salenga, Slanina
    1978 Siskauskas, Songaila, Ginevicius
    1979 Petravicius, Brothers, Laukauskis
    1980 Javtokas, Macijauskas, Gustas

1981 ---
    1982 Jasaitis, Delininkaitis
    1983 ---
    1984 Jankunas, Kavaliauskas
    1985 Kleiza, Maciulis, Seibutis
    1986 Kalnietis, Pocius, Milaknis
    1987 ---
    1988 Gecevicius
    1989 Kuzminskas, Juskevicius
    1990 Motiejunas
    1991 ---
    1992 Valanciunas, Ulanovas, Giedraitis, Butkevicius
    1993 Gudaitis
    1994 Lekavicius, Grigonis
    1996 D.Sabonis
    1998 Kulboka, Sedekerskis, Masiulis
    1999 Brazdeikis, Velicka
    2000 Sirvydis, Jokubaitis, D.Giedraitis
    2001 Blazevic
    2002 Tubelis, Marciulionis, Rubstavicius
    2003 Lelevicius
    2004 Buzelis, Murauskas, Brazdeikis

Retrospectively looking, I believe that 1998-2004 stretch might be second wealthiest after 1973- 1980.

In other words, we might be looking at 18 years gap between one elite stretch of Lithuanian born talents to another (potentially). It wouldn't be surprise if it's gonna take pretty much 18 years till we again will have truly elite NT. The last time we had elite NT without any questions was 2008, and it was top 4 Olympic NT, and it suggests that around 2026 we may develop into truly elite NT again.

That's only hypothesis. 1998-2004 stretch may disappoint, but it's without any doubt the most stacked stretch of prospects we ever had since 1980. Not only quantity, but quality as well. We have to mind that Sabonis, despite being born in 1996 and not belonging to my marked stretch, will surely be all the time as long as this stretch will be prevailing and likely longer.

However you watch it, there's no so wealthy 7 years stretch of prospect power between 1980 and and 1998. Hopefully most guys will pan out and lift our NT again which is really losing it's positions now in basketball world. In the most optimistic scenario it may be happening faster as we nevertheless remain somewhat boderline-elite despite bad results and just lacking couple of backcourt pieces, but I will be very disappointed if we are not truly contending again on a constant basis in the second half of 20's.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 08-12-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Zalgiris-2 vs Prienai 80 84. 16-year-old Kajus Kublickas: 25 minutes, 23 points, 7 assists

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Zalgiris-2 vs Prienai 80 84. 16-year-old Kajus Kublickas: 25 minutes, 23 points, 7 assists
    In few days he turns 17. He belongs to talented 2004 generation, with Buzelis, Murauskas and others. He's interesting. I spotted him when he played for Zalgiris in ANGT. Can go ISO, fluid athlete. Seems like American type of PG. Prienai may be young and it's preseason, but still LKL team.

For patient followers few highs of Ignas' brother Augustas Brazdeikis. Seems a bit more clumsy than Ignas at 16, but has the same going to the basket and scoring mindset, lefty. Hard to judge from this video, but a chance to see how he looks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkUD...=EskandySports

Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142