Page 106 of 110 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 2194

Thread: Lithuanian talents.

Checked out Giedraitis' season in Liga EBA with Estudiantes. 31minutes, 20,2 pts (49,4%, 36,8%). Seems like he was in similar situation as Velička. Plenty of playing time and highly expressed role in very mediocre competition. But obviously this worked quite nicely this time for him. He improved his body and he is much more active offensively. Here's Giedraitis dropping 9 threes (9/18) and finishes the game with 34pts:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjCuxm0Luk0

As for Lithuania we are one of the worst rebounding teams so far. No surprise as Venckus is the only solid big. We third best three point shooting team, but from the field we badly struggle (plenty of missed lay-ups, bad selection of shots). We are third best team in assists which proves it's in our genes. So generally we need tougher defence inside and better execution at offence, particularly shooting. We'll see if we can get rolling in the knock out stage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

So Dovydas Giedraitis got semi ligament tear. Better news that I expected from his reaction. He even sees a chance to play. It's pity, he has been having such a good tournament and he had a strong start against NZ. The way I see it, he shouldn't risk. He had some devastating injury last season thus came to the camp very bleak and out of shape. This summer he looks tremendous and I would rather give him a chance to get 100% healthy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The team is coached well as the team defense and effort are good. Open shots are being created also quite good. The problem is that Serbian dominant bigs will be just too much as the only one solid big Venskus is defensively very bad in rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    The team is coached well as the team defense and effort are good. Open shots are being created also quite good. The problem is that Serbian dominant bigs will be just too much as the only one solid big Venskus is defensively very bad in rebounding.
    If Giedraitis out, I would say it's fair enough to be knocked out by Serbia in 4finals. Let's not forget we lack the best player of this generation and now one of top three most talented and the best in this tournament Giedraitis also out. But I hope they will give 100% effort like they did tonight. Maybe if Vilys and Jarumbauskas will open three point shot artillery and Jokubautis will provide ~20pts + 6as game, we might have a shot. To me it's still mysterious how careless with the ball and how lost Jarumbauskas looks, like left his mind at home Dude had 2 of 40pts games in NKL, I thought he will be killing here at his age group. He wasn't a statist last summer for U18 either, 12pts, 5reb, 2as. I can only bind this with wrong mentality and focus, he probably thought he will set the world on fire one handedly. This is a good lesson for him, he needs to start to use his head instead of going straight stupid to the hoop.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 07-03-2019 at 11:02 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The word on Kulboka before SL. Not sure about comparisons though, agree on mystery part in a good way:

Arnoldas Kulboka, Forward – Brose Bamberg (Germany) / Lithuania

Arnoldas Kulboka was the Hornets 55th overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft and spent last summer playing on Charlotte’s summer league team before going back overseas. Kulboka is the Hornets only “draft-and-stash” prospect and he spent last season playing for Brose Bamberg in the BBL, Germany’s most competitive professional basketball league. During the 2018-19 season with Brose, he averaged 6.1 PPG shooting an outstanding 46 percent from three, according to proballers.com. Arnoldas Kulboka is about a year away from being able to join the Hornets full-time but they drafted him so the 20-year-old could develop in the highest level of competitive basketball overseas with the BBL last year and Italy’s Serie A with Orlandina. Kulboka is a very intriguing prospect for the modern NBA, standing at 6’9″, weighing 220 pounds, he has the length and size to bang around with the big guys in the NBA. Kulboka is a sharpshooter and his numbers prove it. He has a comparable game to other Europeans such as Bojan Bogdanovic and the Australian, Joe Ingles, in that they are all knock-down shooters with great playmaking instincts on the wing. Kulboka is also a great athlete with speed to blow by defenders and the athleticism to finish over the top of taller defenders and put down rim-rattling put-back dunks off of teammate’s misses. Not many Hornets fans have much knowledge on Arnoldas Kulboka, he is really a mystery. This summer they will be pleasantly surprised with his progress from a year ago with his three-point percentage increasing from 36 to 46 percent along with his overall game.

https://thepaintedlines.com/getting-...league-roster/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It was a big win against Serbia. Jokubaitis and Venskus are fundamental offense in this team. The last one is a good big to play pick and roll with. If he would be a good defensive player and could jump he would be a beast. And how about Jokubaitis having a huge game: 21 pts, 10 ass and 0 turnovers in almost 40 min?

Reflections on U19 team:

- Jokubaitis lived up to expectations, IMO. He didn't have extremely consistent tournament, but very solid overall. He's growing, shows some new angles of passing, trying to play as true PG who controls everything. I think he even overdid a little bit with that, ball hoging too much, reading the situation too much instead of just being aggressive and making a quick decision, but with time he will be from decent to solid EL PG, IMO.

- Venckus is a fundamentally sound big with good, maybe even great instincts and nose under the board, but horrific shooter, horrific passer, I'm not high on him. Super old school, born in the wrong era.

- Giedraitis showed tremendous effort both defensively and offensively till the injury. I think can pan out to NT level, good BB IQ, good skills, tremendous effort and heart. However rather small and short for SG, that might be an obstacle him reaching the highest level.

- Vilys kinda established himself at Youth level, one of the most productive player of the bench in the tournament. He's developing into a solid combo, should become Rytas material one day, IMO. I don't think he will reach NT level, but overall intereting prospect who should be somewhere at the borderline.

- Jarumbauskas looked out of shape and completely out of mind. Couldn't put things together. He's talented, but obviously lacks either BB IQ or right attitude, mentality. Kinda an enigma at the moment. Should work on his body as well, looks nearly chubby.

- Arlauskas is a system player, fundamentally sound, but overall limited. Doesn't have highly expressed offensive game, killers instinct, average athlete which makes him one of the most overrated prospects of recent, IMO. Šaras being high on him made a disservice, IMO.

- All power forwards of the team are such scrubs that's hard even to talk about them. Metrikis is as dumb of a players as it can get. The lack of this position really hurt the team. Also Venckus aside rebounding and finishing under the board wasn't a miracle either, so the frontline was horrid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The last two games a team didn't play on the level they could as looked exhausted after the game against Serbia.

Jarumbauskas is a disappointment. He looked like a bad IQ player.

Giedraitis shouldn't have played after the injury. First of all, i don't think it's good for a health. Secondly, he anyway wasn't good after that.

Metrikis wasn't so bad, just his level is not high and it was seen when he tried to do more than he can. But he was good in some games and he averaged solid 10 pts in the tournament. In fact he was the best foward in the team: better than Arlauskas, Jarumbauskas, Urbonavicius.

I think Jokubaitis is the most "real deal" talent in this team as has less disadvantages than others.

So which players should be Lithuania's leading lights in the European U20 tournament starting Saturday?

Danielius Lavrinovičius 207
    Paulius Poška 203
    Grantas Vasiliauskas 204
    Vitalijus Kozys 201
    Justas Sakalauskas 200
    Tadas Vaičiūnas 200
    Lukas Uleckas 199
    Ignas Sargiūnas 193
    Marius Valinskas 187
    Justinas Leganovič 192
    Ernestas Jonkus 188
    Arnas Velička 196

Velička looks good. Last season he looked really dull, but now he's shinning again. I think the trend is pretty clear, play at the lower level, but play a lot and an important role. Giedraitis played hell of a lot in 4th Spanish division and he looked improved a lot, Velicka played a lot in Estonia and he looks improved. Still amazing physical profile and this alone leaves all Cizkauskas comparisons aside. He is more athletic, quicker, lengthier. Now I'm pretty sure he's becoming real PRo because last season he looked sort of chubby again and out of shape, I questioned his working ethics, but coming now in extreme shape shows he's serious about BB. Obviously improved FT and three points shooting, decision making is not perfect, but he collects 8,5assists in 29minutes in the team with average bigs. His IQ and versatility as PG is not as good as Jokubaitis', but Velicka has much more impressive physical profile and much better defender. It will be fun to follow these 2 competing for the spot at Zalgiris and NT in the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

watch 4th querter and overtime versus Greece,total chaos on both sides...Lithuania leads like +8 when couple minutes left to ...game goes to overtime...in overtime Greece leads +9 when 2,5min left and looses by 2 its impossible to predict anything with such chaotic play ,but this last game winner gonna give team extra juice going to playoofs.

Btw playing like that we won a group and made our way little bit easier

I have to say i did lose hope about Velička's shooting skills (i probably even wrote it on this forum)and i thought this would be a huge problem for his professional career, but I'm really glad to see his FT percentage so far and maybe there is still hope.
    As for 3points percentage, I'm not sure what to think yet, because it depends if game versus Greece was a mistake or not (it's weird he did shoot that much by the way), but anyway the first step is FT. This will be more interesting to check in few games, but the volume is already significant.

I hope Uleckas can be good and lucky enough to become a good player. He's a terrific 3pt shooter. Probably, the best in Lithuania, maybe even not only among youngsters.

I'm more or less satisfied with what i saw from Velicka even if he failed in the decisive game under pressure. I think he should meet a right coach and the team like Saras was lucky to meet Zagadin in Olimpia one day. By the way, Saras is just right here, but it will be hard because Zalgiris is a strongh EL team nowadays, not like some years ago when Cizauskas could walk a floor.

Tadas Sedekerskis joins Gytis Masiulis in Neptunas Uleckas and Velicka to Prienai
    Last edited by LuDux; 07-24-2019 at 12:33 PM.

So what are the prospects for the Lithuanian U18 team in Greece this coming week?

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    So what are the prospects for the Lithuanian U18 team in Greece this coming week?

Tubelis and Maciliounis. A fairly average talented team.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Tubelis and Maciliounis. A fairly average talented team.
    Wrong. Modestas Kancleris. His upside is really good, but he's a long term prospect. And you have to have an eye to notice him, he doesn't fill the stats section in every game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Wrong. Modestas Kancleris. His upside is really good, but he's a long term prospect. And you have to have an eye to notice him, he doesn't fill the stats section in every game.
    I am not an expert of lithuanian youth. My opinion is based on what I have seen so far. You will know more than me.

Hmmmm.

Page 106 of 110 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast