Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just sneaked into U17 competition system and boy we are not very lucky with draw lately ain't we? OK, our group is good. Spain, Dominician Rep and one more Asian team. So we need to beat Spain to top the group and others won't be an issue most likely. But we are in group B and will beat A teams in round 16. And A group consists of France, Canada, Serbia...So we must top our group to avoid one of these and to take that 4th team of A group which will be Asian team. If pass that, than the rout seems much more doable. Maybe the only positive that we will surely won't meant USA in round 16.

LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Interesting shooting machine. Forces you to shoot high arcing threes and gives time to rotate. Zilys' shooting:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Found this forum thread and wanted to add to discussion.

Regarding Simas Lukošius, I do not really see how him choosing Germany over Lithuania is any fault of Lithuania's basketball federation. The way I see it, it's purely his (and his family's) decision. Reading his father's interviews, it does seem that his (father's) view on Lithuania's basketball is not the most positive and that probably contributed. If we look at Simonas' play as a youngster in MKL (https://mkl.lt/league/573/player/1736888/ - choose "Karjera" tab), he did not display any indications at that time of the level he has reached at this point.

Regarding Buzelis, as someone pointed out in the thread, he grew up in US, all his friends are presumably there. As strong as connection his parents feel to their home country, for him home country is more US than Lithuania. From development/exposure/possibility to contribute to significant international success, Lithuania would be the best bet. Really, if you are not top 25 player in the world, it's better to play for other NT than US. No one can really predict if a 18 year old will be able to reach NBA all start level, however, good prospect he is (and Buzelis is not that Zion, Lebron or lower Wiggins, J. Parker, J. Wall level prospect in HS). I think his choice to not make decision on country allegiance this summer is really good and let's him keep both options as well as focus on development and choosing college this summer. As a Tar Heel fan, I would be happy to see him in Carolina blue, however, I am not sure if it's the best option if he wants to play that point forward role in NCAA.

Regarding U16/17/18 wins and rankings, I could not care less. I would rather have so so results and have few high level guys from each generation, than winning medals and have a bunch of mediocre results. For one, the U16 results will not necessarily correlate to success as seniors. Same to U18 although to lesser extent. If we look at say, 1993 and 1996 generation, one was winning silver in U16, while another was 11th, however, 1993 leader and tournament MVP Jogela is playing at second rate clubs/leagues in Europe (yes, injuries also impacted him), while Sabonis is two times all star in NBA.

If we look at 1993 roster, the best player from that generation, Artūras Gudaitis was not even selected for U16 team, while second, fourth and fifth leading scorers of the team are either retired or playing for Lithuania's second division (NKL). Looking at 1996, other than Sabonis, all U16 players are either retired or playing at NKL at best. Some of the OK level players that were born in 1996 such as Normantas (Rytas), Žemaitis (Lietkabelis) were not part of U16 national team.

The point I am trying to make is that talent identification is hard. Really really hard. We have NBA teams spending millions and still some second rounder becomes MVP twice in a row, while some top lottery picks are out of league after few years. Result in U16 may show some promise but does not guarantee any success at seniors. The goal should be to have conditions for any late bloomers to keep on playing and developing until they are physically able to play with seniors. Radzevičius from Rytas was one of such late bloomers, he was playing for Marčiulionis second 1995 born team in third MKL division when he was as old as 17, I think). No one would have said that he will be one of the top players in LKL finalist (probably champion).

In terms of talent, I do not see any high level/promise talents other than Buzelis. We have maybe few guys who could potentially be rotation players in NBA if most of the stars aling (Jokubaitis, Murauskas and Tubelis), even then, it's a stretch to predict it for both forwards, as Murauskas is still very young and has not shown the level to be really considered a prospect, while Tubelis must improve his outside shooting significantly as otherwise he is average (NBA standards) athlete with poor length and - defense ability for either front court position - either slow-ish on perimeter to guard 4s or not enough length/size as 5. With improved 3, I could see him having a really solid Euroleague career similar to Jankūnas.

Looked at U16 MKl final four which happened over this weekend (recordings are available https://www.youtube.com/user/moksleiviulyga). It was quite a reminder on how difficult is to predict senior performance from such young age athletes. One of the best players in 2006 generation is Kristupas Smirnov (originally from Klaipeda, now playing for Vilnius KM) who is 6'4-6'5 guard/wing and averages 30.4, 11.9 and 4 in MKL. Looking at the tape, he averages this much because he is aggresive and has developed physically more than others. He does not really shoot 3s (29.9% during season but 1/9 in F4), does not have handles, in two games only went left once! To be fair, he was OK with decision making, especially during 3rd place game where he passed out of doubles/traps well and he is 75.6% FT shooter, however, at his size he could only play SG or PG at seniors. With his current skillset he will not be able play these positions at all.

Let's not overreact here though, but the upcoming few years will really show if he is just another early developer or if he is someone willing to put in required work and make it to higher level. There were few other interesting guys in F4, however, just wanted to make a point that someone dominating U16 often does not mean anything to their senior success.

Comment

• Welcome to the forum OldFish.

One thing why I care about medals of Youth NTs is the spirit of competitiveness. That's one of reasons why we're good generally. We are crazy concentrated on winning and competing. That's the least what (untalented) coach should do. Talented coach can do much more than that. FOA, if your team, say not the most talented Europe wise, pushes for medals, it shows good understanding of the system. The coach taught fundamentals of BB well. So some late bloomers, when they finally blossom, they will also have good understanding about BB. We lack individual development, but god help we can't lose that ability to play as a unit and to kill our egos for one goal. If NTs, even without a single stud (for now), performs well, it means our basketball school works properly, those young coaches doing their job. They can't control how their players develop later, but our NTs should be as PRO as it's possible. Off course, I agree that having few studs is much more important than medals, cause ultimate goal is senior NT and so on, but we should strive for high results simultaneously.

Depends what you call high level/promise talents. IMO, there should be the distinction. High level Europe wise and high level globally. JV and Domas are high level globally. Jasikevicius, Macijauskas, Kaukenas were high level talents Europe wise. Ultimately we want to have both, but the former is the core of our NT historically. Kurtinaitis, Karnisovas, Stombergas, Jasikevicius, Macijauskas, Siskauskas, Kleiza and so on. While only A. Sabonis, S. Marciulionis, Z. Ilgauskas, Valanciunas, D. Sabonis were/are high level players globally. If you looking for the latter breed, then, Yes, only Buzelis seems to be a candidate. On other hand, quite many guys who have decent chances to really achieve something in Europe. Obviously Jokubaitis is set to challenge guys like Jasikevicius, Macijauskas, IMO.

Another thing, don't overlook N. Indrusaitis. Maybe a bit wild shot, but I treat Buzelis, Jokubaitis, Indrusaitis as highest upside prospects in Lithuania. A bit premature praise as I have to see him with U16, but, IMO, he's pretty special.

Overall, U16 should be something to watch. Indrusaitis, Jakucionis, Smirnov, Buika, Buteliauskas, Juzenas, Krizanauskas and others. I followed some via highlights, but U16 will give first solid answers.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
            Overall, U16 should be something to watch. Indrusaitis, Jakucionis, Smirnov, Buika, Buteliauskas, Juzenas, Krizanauskas and others. I followed some via highlights, but U16 will give first solid answers.
            Also Mantas Laurencikas who looked good against 18yo in Belgrade ANGT. I really expect nothing else than top spots for this NT.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
              One thing why I care about medals of Youth NTs is the spirit of competitiveness.
              I just want to see the medals - at any level. After all, the Men's team hasn't exactly been harvesting many (actually any not counting 3x3) for seven years. That leaves most Lithuanian fans longing for the glint of precious metals at any level, including 3x3.

Comment

• Completely agree regarding competitiveness/effort. I feel that for a youth coach competitiveness/best effort, individual skillset, decision making and athleticism are the top 4 factors to develop. Result at a young age should come as a byproduct of developing these abilities rather than any sort of goal. I think (I might be mistaken) youth coaches' salary bonuses are tied to youth team results which would mean that some early developers are playing long minutes in order to get wins while some late bloomers are spending their time on the bench instead of getting playing experience. I think that having result as a goal is an issue at youth level. The focus must be on process of improving because we never know who will bet the best player in the seniors. If I am a coach in MKL, none of my players are playing more than say 25 out of 40 minutes, so that everyone get their chance. Maybe I adjust this if we make it to F4 and fight for medals, but otherwise this approach should allow results come naturally. Norwegians have a terrific model in terms of having youth sports participation at levels that are uncomporable to Lithuania (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/28/s...rts-model.html). From article "Imagine a society in which 93 percent of children grow up playing organized sports.", the number in Lithuania is 19% I think. Looking broader encouraging mass participation is the key as talents will obviously show themselves if they get to start participating in sport and continue with it. It might be less of an issue for basketball as it is very popular here but for other sports is sure is.

Regarding levels/degrees of prospects, yes, that's fair to have distinction. Looking at key players who brought us medals at seniors, they were all NBA rotation level players. Šaras played in NBA (and who knows how that would have went if he chose Cavs instead of Pacers), Šiškauskas could have chosen to go there as well (who knows how successful he would have been, however, a role similar to Anthony Parker is pretty realistic), Macijauskas failed in NBA but was put to play as PG, Songaila was rotation player for several years, Štombergas was close to that level as well. If we look at current crop of senior players other than Valančiūnas and Sabonis, there is only Grigonis, whos level is one step below what Šaras, Šiška and Macas showed, I feel. We simply do not have players who could play as top options at highest level Euroleague clubs or be 5-9th player in NBA rotation. As good as our team play is, without individual talent I do not see us being medal contenders at this moment. Other countries have stepped up, we have stepped down. I does not help that your two best players are centers and are dependent on guards feeding them the ball. In today's game having top level guard is probably more important than big because it is easier for guard to create for himself and others. Defending Euroleague champions Anadolu Efes are a prime example of that with Micič and Larkin. In many ways team's play in F4 reminded NBA quite a bit, because in a crunch time Micič or Larkin were just given the ball and given freedom to create best shot for themselves or others. We do not have such players in our NT and that is a big issue.

Yes, hopefully guards crop from these younger generations will be able to make the leap to high enough level for NT to have such players. Again, we are talking about NBA rotation/top Euroleague club leaders so it is always a tall ask. From U16 at this point I could maybe see potential from Jakucionis and Buika (who is actually 2007 born but always trains and plays with 2006 and even 2005s), however, to be at that high level you also have to have a level of athleticism which is often lacking from our guys. Fingers crossed!

Side note: I really liked Buika, he is given a Micič like free role to just create sometimes for SKM I team. He is around 6'4 and might still grow an inch or two, he could develop into nice lead guard who can play 1 and 2 and create. I remember Grigonis at the same age, he had similar role in Sabonio KC, however, was slightly bigger and more reliant on three pointer.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldFish View Post
                  Radzevičius from Rytas was one of such late bloomers, he was playing for Marčiulionis second 1995 born team in third MKL division when he was as old as 17, I think). No one would have said that he will be one of the top players in LKL finalist (probably champion).
                  I'm glad to see here someone so deep into youth basketball. I also have thought so about Radzevicius. His 1995 y.o. generation was probably the worst i remember and one of the best players of the current LKL champion wasn't there at all. The only prospect in that 1995 y.o. team was E.Seskus and he predictably didn't become a big player. All others i think are NKL players or don't play professionally.

Currect U16 is deep, but i really liked only Buika so far. The fact that he's younger is a bit intriguingly, because he should be one of the main players there or even the best one.
                  Smirnov provided big numbers, but i expected to see a better picture. He looked physically stronger and more aggressive, but i lacked some skills. Btw, Kreismontas provided even bigger numbers, but he played for a bad team so it's unkwnown here.

Comment

• MAREK BLAZEVIC (Zalgiris Kaunas) Highlights Lithuanian LKL 2021/2022 - YouTube
                    The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• Motiejus Krivas highs in AGNT. Defensive big. We literally had just few centers who could really play D. This guy seems to have that. Off course, more of traditional defensive big, but still.

I think this decade we have a really good chance to have a solid if not good defensive NT. Basically we never had really good defensive NT. We always were more about offense. Now I see a lot of guys who might be playing really good D.

Motiejus compiled a stat line of 15.8pts, 9.8rebs, 3.2ast, 1.5stl & 3blks per game in Ljubljana and earned himself a selection to an All-Star Five. Lithuanian 7-footer impressed with his ability to defend the rim, finish inside as well as his presence on the glass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yb8I77f63w

Motiejus Krivas (C | 215 cm | ‘04) ~ Zalgiris Kaunas

15.8 pts, FG2-56.4%, FG3-0%, FT-71.1%, 9.8 reb, 3.2 ast, 1.5 st, 2.5 to, 3.0 blck

Lithuanian big man was one of the top interior options at the tournament. For a player his size, Motiejus runs/moves well and stays light on his feet. He walks on his toes with a center of gravity slightly shifted forward. It is a double-edged sword because it helps him defensively, making it easier to hold his ground, but offensively it is harder to create space. Nonetheless, he can explore a few options offensively. He is a reliable screener and a roll man. During this tournament even looked to pop after screens for some long-range jumpers but couldn’t make even a single one and, at times, looked to be without restraint. It is good he shows confidence, but there is no history or technique to back that up. Speaking about his decision making, he needs to be more careful as he made a few careless mistakes in the final stretches of a couple of games. Moving on. Another noteworthy part of his game is his ability to distribute the ball. Both on the short roll as well as from the low post. On defense, it was interesting to see how the opposing guards wanted to test his ability to protect the rim time and time again instead of looking for different options. In the end, he tallied 3-blocks per game which was one of the highest numbers in this year’s edition of the AdidasNGT. His vertical pop is rather average from a stationary position, but when running to contest can surprise. Also, his timing is very good.

(Written by Igor Chytrzynski)

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• So Liutaruas Lelevicius was invited to U20, but he declined invitation him self. This is very strange. Maybe he didn't enjoy playing with 2002 generation last summer all that much or maybe decided to stick to individual preparation heavily. Either way to me it's nearly a red flag when you decline NT invitation.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• He's not even Šaras', but his brother's son, but you can clearly see family genes

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Will there be any streams for this game against Latvia? Serbia will play against them in a few days so I'm interested to see how they look with Bertans. Seems like game has already started.

Sorry, missed the thread.
                            Last edited by Serbian_Layup; 06-26-2022, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serbian_Layup View Post
                              Will there be any streams for this game against Latvia? Serbia will play against them in a few days so I'm interested to see how they look with Bertans. Seems like game has already started.

Sorry, missed the thread.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Thanks. I got to see more than two minutes left in the first half and literally every possession was a three point shot

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information