Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhk, I also watched the RP Game, and by far Norbert was the only one showing promise, you are right about him being slow.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawke12
      Iran is the toughest team to beat in Asia right now...

They have an excellent basketball program next to china in asia
      To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
      1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07
        how tall is this guy?

Ow the top colleges in korea is bidding his services like yonsei but since there is an influx of koreans studying english in rp why not join UP?? as a up student we need a scorer like him in our varsity teamteam hehehehehe "pantapat namin kay ndou at long"
        -trans:"our foreign acquisition"
        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Project_Olympics
          so what our chances this coming youth seaba and the fiba asia youth championship?
          According to our neighbors:
          1-Iran
          2-China
          3-South Korea
          4-Lebanon/Kazakstan
          6-Syria/Japan
          8-Philippines

As usual, we are the smallest team with no sharp shooters to bail as out on tight situations.

And according to coach Pumaren, our team is flexible, we can either play big or small.

Me think, if Franz decided to play big our opponents will just play us small (since we are the smallest team) in fairness to our disadvantage in height.
          Last edited by dreamwalker; 04-27-2008, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily
            They have an excellent basketball program next to china in asia
            Basketball I think has a good following in Iran.

And unlike us, Iranians have been naturally blessed w/ not only height, but athleticism as well.

No wonder then, that they have risen to the top of the basketball rankings in Asia.
            Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

• Originally posted by dreamwalker
              1-Iran
              2-China
              3-South Korea
              4-Lebanon/Kazakstan
              6-Syria/Japan
              8-Philippines
              Believe me if Lebanon get back our players that are playing in USA like Bashir Saad(199cm),Ahmad ibrahim(196cm),Bassel bawji(203cm),Hayk gyokchyan(208cm) and Rabih iskandar(210cm) then there will be another talk considering who will win the asian championship.
              And these guys are really tall,and you know very well that lebanon is not that rich in tall players.
              Anyway i wish a good luck for Rp in the asian championship.
              Concerning Iran,yes they are really good,they've been practicing together for more then 2 years and they are following their players from early ages..I strongly believe that "Arslan kazami" will be one of the best in asia in the coming years,he's really great not a superstar but he can dunk over tall players easily,he's a PF/C but not so tall (202cm),
              Last edited by daniab; 04-27-2008, 01:17 PM.
              Proud to be Lebanese
              www.arabasket.com

Comment

• hei daniab, are those lebanese players in the us are what level of competition... Philippines also have many fil-ams, commitment is also the problem..
                LABAN PILIPINAS!

Comment

• Originally posted by watiwawa
                  hei daniab, are those lebanese players in the us are what level of competition... Philippines also have many fil-ams, commitment is also the problem..
                  College leagues.

Check this for Bassel !

And for more infos about hayk and the rest you can check this thread.
                  Proud to be Lebanese
                  www.arabasket.com

Comment

• Originally posted by dreamwalker
                    1-Iran
                    2-China
                    3-South Korea
                    4-Lebanon/Kazakstan
                    6-Syria/Japan
                    8-Philippines
                    This is a more broader approach to who's really supreme in the continent, am I correct? Or would this list pertain to the youth teams per se?

Evolution made possible by Mei.ka~ of Hello! Online

Comment

• Originally posted by daniab
                      Believe me if Lebanon get back our players that are playing in USA like Bashir Saad(199cm),Ahmad ibrahim(196cm),Bassel bawji(203cm),Hayk gyokchyan(208cm) and Rabih iskandar(210cm) then there will be another talk considering who will win the asian championship.
                      And these guys are really tall,and you know very well that lebanon is not that rich in tall players.
                      Anyway i wish a good luck for Rp in the asian championship.
                      Concerning Iran,yes they are really good,they've been practicing together for more then 2 years and they are following their players from early ages..I strongly believe that "Arslan kazami" will be one of the best in asia in the coming years,he's really great not a superstar but he can dunk over tall players easily,he's a PF/C but not so tall (202cm),
                      I believe you my friend, no offense to your youth team. lebanon was ranked 4th due to your 5 missing players, but the thing is it is better to be underated than overated. Lebanon, I think is still a title contender and might probably beat China.

Iran as you have mentioned have been together for more than 2 years playing as a unit, their main advantage over the rest, that makes them number 1 with a homecourt advantage. But still, they're not invincible.

China is traditionally number 1, but their team are made up of upstarts, they usually buckle down under extreme pressure, against them we need to exert pressure on their point guards, their obvious weakness, harass them with unrelenting defense, make no room to orchestrate their plays, keep the scoring close and if it can be done, you're in for a climatic finish.

South Korea was ranked 3rd for one reason only, they thrive on 3-pointers their potent weapon. They are quick as a team and deadly at the end game, that is why they are so successful against China be at seniors or youth tournaments.

Kazakstan is as mysterious as ever, we don't know exactly how good they are, but we know that they are also tall, and play somewhat a european brand of basketball. They use their height and heft extremely well in every opportunity that they could get, their main strength is their inside game.

Syria, a new power on the rise but not yet good to be a contender.

Japan could still pull out some surprises but their preparation is quite late, they just did their spring camp last week, not enough preparation.

The Philippines, as you may well know lacks in ceiling not tall enough and one more obvious weakness not enough outside shooters to break a zone. The last 2007 FIBA-Asia was a trestament to our horrendous shooting we missed a lot of open shots, in an international competition there are no off nights, no tomorrows. The same weaknesses applies to our youth team.

But ranking is irrelevant, let's wait for the games to begin, better be underated than overrated and believe me, it pumps up more adrenalin to be at our best.

Believe that Lebanon can be number 1 and I believe the Philippines can end up number 4. Let the pressure be on the top seeds, let them worry.

To the rest, good luck to your youth team...there can only be one...
                      Last edited by dreamwalker; 04-27-2008, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coke_Hero
                        This is a more broader approach to who's really supreme in the continent, am I correct? Or would this list pertain to the youth teams per se?
                        Just for the 20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship in Iran.

Comment

• Based on what I have read in the Middle Eastern thread, Iran did establish a Youth team early on, competing in the U17 Youth tournament. But then so did the other Middle Eastern teams.

The Iranian Youth team that competed in the U17 tournament is not necessarily the same team that will play in the U18 tournament this year. Some players will remain, but then some new additions also have been put in.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhk111
                            ^^^
                            Well, it's mainly about Norbert, because he's the new addition to the team, & w/ the most impressive performance among the Youth team members in that game.

if that's the case, the team must be weak and still need to eat tons of rice since Norbert is not the most impressive when he plays with other Fil-Cans in Toronto.

they will probably have a hard time against all-star Fil-Can selection in Toronto in the same age category.

Comment

• Originally posted by charged
                              rhk, I also watched the RP Game, and by far Norbert was the only one showing promise, you are right about him being slow.

same as above

Comment

• Originally posted by naismithmyman
                                if that's the case, the team must be weak and still need to eat tons of rice since Norbert is not the most impressive when he plays with other Fil-Cans in Toronto.

they will probably have a hard time against all-star Fil-Can selection in Toronto in the same age category.
                                Maybe, maybe not.

I think we need to look really at actual results, rather than trying to extrapolate results.

I mean, Norbert was a hit w/ this team, but then Kyle Pascual has been a bust thus far.

As far as Fil-Foreigners are concerned, most of the time, its a case-to-case basis. Recreational league players like Caguioa can become stars, but then again, US NCAA Div. 1 players like Denver Lopez end up being a bust.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information