Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: - The Dirk Nowitzki appreciation thread -

Thanks for the video, Rick. And thanks for the article, L8. You can really see in the video that he came down bad on both his legs, but the way his left knee bent looks terribly painful. Ouch!
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

DALLAS - Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks is out indefinitely with a moderate high ankle sprain and a mildly sprained knee.

It's a blow to the Mavericks' title hopes — and perhaps their chances of making the playoffs. The team announced the diagnosis after the reigning MVP got an MRI exam Monday, the day after he was injured during a game against San Antonio. He landed awkwardly on his left leg after running to block a shot.

Nowitzki said he's hoping to be out only one or two weeks. The regular season ends three weeks from Wednesday.

"I'm trying to see the positive and it could've been a lot worse," Nowitzki said, wearing a protective boot on his left ankle. "It could've been a season-ending injury or even career-ending."

He said the ankle and knee are both still stiff. He's trying to reduce swelling by putting them in ice every two hours, even when he sleeps. Doctors will check him out again Tuesday, then set a rehabilitation plan.

"Hopefully I can move where I can already go on the underwater treadmill a little bit in the next couple of days, so at least I can put some pressure on it and see how it feels," Nowitzki said.

Nowitzki has had plenty of traditional ankle sprains, but never a "high" one, which is closer to the shin. Local sports fans became familiar with the injury a few months ago, when Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens was out for three weeks then returned for the playoffs.

"Usually I'm good with recovering from injuries," Nowitzki said. "I know I'm not 20 any more, but I still feel young, my body feels young. So hopefully I can recover pretty quick." [...]
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080324/...ricks_nowitzki
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Wow. That sounds pretty bad. It sounds to me like 1-2 weeks is maybe a little "short" considering the injury. If he's soaking it in ice 12 hours a day, it must be really bad. Josh Howard is a fine, fine young player, but without Dirk, the Mavs can kiss their play-off hopes goodbye.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

He's dreaming if he thinks he'll be on court in 2 weeks. More like a month. It's possible he'll be back in 2 weeks, but for sure with painkillers.

I dont think that an injury like that would be less than 3 weeks or (more likely) one month. Anyway i hope im wrong, or dallas is gonna suffer a lot to get the playoffs.
    Now that Kidd, Stackhouse and Howard will have to take one step ahead and take more responsability, we'll see if they can survive (in a way like Houston did without Yao) or if they fall down (and in a conference so hard as the western is, that would probably mean that they will say goodbye to the season really soon).
    I KISS BASKET

What the latest news on Dirk's injury? How serious is it?

Quote Originally Posted by L8DBACK
    What the latest news on Dirk's injury? How serious is it?
    I heard on SportsCenter that he might be out for 3 or 4 weeks. But on insidehoops.com today, there is a link to an article that says if he's out for 2 weeks, that is a "worst case scenario," so he might be back in about 10 days.

at the game dallas - clippers dirk took the microphone and talk to the dallas television network and also made play by play commentating which was very amusing

he told that he will at least lose the regular seasonalso he told that he hurts and he cant sleep from the pain and he was very tired .and he make a couple of jokes being dirk we know and love

The Dallas Morning News -

The Mavericks claim that they got all the right results from Dirk Nowitzki's tests and the initial two-week prognosis could be a worst-case scenario, according to the Dallas Morning News.

"From what I'm hearing, he's doing really well," coach Avery Johnson said Tuesday night. "That doesn't mean he's going to be back anytime soon. But for the type of injury, he's doing well. Hopefully, we'll catch a break with it. And he'll heal like he normally heals, and it won't take that long."

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Davis 4 president
    at the game dallas - clippers dirk took the microphone and talk to the dallas television network and also made play by play commentating which was very amusing

he told that he will at least lose the regular seasonalso he told that he hurts and he cant sleep from the pain and he was very tired .and he make a couple of jokes being dirk we know and love

Thanks for the update Baron Davis 4 president!
    Artificial Nature

thanks for the vid i was looking for that .. i saw that in the game but i wanted to see that again... liked at the 4 minute he made the play by play anouncer hehe ....

Is this that famous dunk over Barkley? I had never seen it before.

Artificial Nature

Some more oldies...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artificial Nature

Default Dirk returns!

DALLAS (Reuters) - Dirk Nowitzki made a triumphant return from injury by helping the Dallas Mavericks post a crucial 111-86 win over the Golden State Warriors on Wednesday.

The German-born Nowitzki scored 18 points and gave the Mavericks a psychological boost after missing four games with a sprained left knee and ankle.

"If it was November, there was no way I would play right now," Nowitzki told reporters. "But we are in a playoff race and we are still trying to get the seventh or eighth seed so I just had to gut it out."

The victory pushed Dallas, currently in seventh place in the Western Conference, a game ahead of Denver for the final playoff spot. Golden State dropped to ninth, two games behind Dallas.

"It was definitely a boost," Mavericks head coach Avery Johnson said of Nowitzki's return. "Dirk's our leader. We depend on him for a lot and he's a warrior."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080403/...a_wednesday_dc

A brace is seen on Dallas Mavericks Dirk Nowitzki's ankle during second half NBA basketball action against the Golden State Warriors in Dallas, Texas April 2, 2008.
    http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/NBA-ba...bI1VpeXKw5.3QA
    Artificial Nature

Interesting... braces these days do miracles...

So...here comes Dirk into the game doing his best Willis Reed impersonation at the end of the season. Does anybody think the Mavs are going to miss the play-offs? Does anybody think the Lakers/Spurs/Hornets want to play the Mavs in the first round?

I love Dirk. He's the best PF in the game and in the past two years, he's really turned into a PF (used to be more of an SF). He's amazing. But honestly, sometimes I get a little sick of the US media. Some basketball analysts on TV just never stop talking about him.

Dirk scored 32 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in a crucial win over the Suns. Despite the recent injury, the good old Dirk is back
    Artificial Nature

So, it looks like the Mavs are going to be in the play-offs with that win last night. Did anybody really have any doubts?

Quote Originally Posted by mvblair
    So, it looks like the Mavs are going to be in the play-offs with that win last night. Did anybody really have any doubts?
    In fact if Nowitzki had been more time away from the team , i would have had some doubts, but now with him, they are, as always, a huge menace for every single team.
    I KISS BASKET

Quote Originally Posted by Neozyrus
    In fact if Nowitzki had been more time away from the team , i would have had some doubts
    Absolutely.
    but now with him, they are, as always, a huge menace for every single team.
    Oh yes! The only problem they'll have is that they will play as an "away team" in the play-offs. No home court advantage. That hurts every team. It looks like they'll probably play San Antonio in the play-offs. Dallas will have no problem defending Duncan and Oberto, but Parker and Ginobili will kill Dallas. Every time San Antonio has played Dallas, Parker and Ginobili have run circles around the Mavs.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast