- The Dirk Nowitzki appreciation thread -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dallas Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki finishes 'another wasted year'

Dirk Nowitzki tried deep breaths and long pauses, but his mind and heart told him Wednesday was no time for diplomacy.

Not with Avery Johnson out as coach. Not after a second straight Mavericks first-round playoff humiliation. Not with who knows what on the horizon.

"For me, personally, I feel like it's another wasted year," he said. "I'm in my prime right now. I'm almost 30 now, so I feel like I wasted another great opportunity to win the title and bring it here to Dallas."

Nowitzki figured there was no way he would find himself in an even worse vantage point than last year, when his 67-win Mavericks were toppled by Golden State.

This time last year, Nowitzki could rationalize that the Mavericks were maybe a player or two from returning to title contention, that they simply drew a bad playoff matchup.

But now the Mavericks are a considerably older team, with no head coach. Nowitzki said "the way we represented each other on the court, nobody should be safe." On three occasions, he addressed next season by mixing in the phrase "if I'm going to be here."

"The way we played, we were a first-round exit," he said. "Just one coach, I don't know if just a new coach can fix it all. So I'm sure there will be some player movements."

Nowitzki, who turns 30 on June 19, just completed his 10th season as a Maverick. He has played for two coaches, Johnson and Don Nelson.

He praised Johnson for taking the franchise to its first NBA Finals berth in 2006, adding "we owe him a lot." He also disputed any assertion that he and his teammates lost faith in Johnson this season, saying, "We gave it our best until the very end."

But when pressed about whether the Mavericks took advantage of Jason Kidd's strengths after he was acquired on Feb. 19, Nowitzki took a deep breath.

"I mean, we probably could have opened it up more, a little more free-flow, let Jason create and not just make him a weak-side spot-up shooter. But, you know, Avery had us believe in his system."

But it doesn't sound as if Nowitzki would favor hiring a replacement in the mold of Phoenix's Mike D'Antoni.

"Obviously, we've got to bring a coach in that brings out the best out of what he's got here," Nowitzki said. "Open up the offense a lot more, run. But still a guy who knows how to coach defense in the league.

"You don't basically want to go back to the Nellie days where we just run and gun and have fun and we got scored on every time down, either. That's obviously not the solution to get where we want to get to."
    He joined the franchise when it was one of the worst in sports. He has been the one constant through eight straight 50-win seasons.

His next objective is to help Germany qualify for the Beijing Olympics. Then?

"Come back a better player, a better person, if I'm back, give it another try."
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

People can't be too hard on Dirk. If he doesn't win a championship, people will still recognize him as one of the greats, just like people recognize Karl Malone, John Stockton, and Charles Barkley. I'm probably reading too much, but it sounds like maybe Dirk wants a trade??
      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair
        I'm probably reading too much, but it sounds like maybe Dirk wants a trade??
        Cunning you Because of his statement that he's in his prime, he's 30 and he wasted another opportunity? Well, I think that conclusion is not that far-fetched now that you mention it. Imo if next year Dallas doesn't get a very good coach and some good new players on the roster, I really think he could think about a move. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
        Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
          Cunning you Because of his statement that he's in his prime, he's 30 and he wasted another opportunity? Well, I think that conclusion is not that far-fetched now that you mention it. Imo if next year Dallas doesn't get a very good coach and some good new players on the roster, I really think he could think about a move. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
          If I'm not wrong they signed with Carlisle already. I guess there are much worse coaches in the leaguge, but as everything but winning the title will be regarded as a disappointment ... tough job for him.

I think Dirk should give up on that title and come back to play in Europe. No seriously, won't happen, but it would be interesting to see how much money folks would give him here. I'm pretty sure the green brothers and CSKA would open their wallets and spent money that is unheard of in European basketball so far.

Comment

Originally posted by robbe
            I think Dirk should give up on that title and come back to play in Europe. No seriously, won't happen, but it would be interesting to see how much money folks would give him here. I'm pretty sure the green brothers and CSKA would open their wallets and spent money that is unheard of in European basketball so far.
            Why not Alba? it would pay-out for sure even if offered Dallas-like money, Jordi's grin on the face would be unforgetable, revenues from tickets all time highest in europe for any club considering the number of BBL games being played per season, TV revenues would go up the same way, just as merchandising would... definately profitable, all you need is a organisation willing to risk some million € for the start and Nowitzki being willing to come to play to Germany.
            He seems patriotic enough to me to make such move if others would set the solid ground for it. Not to mention what that would mean for german basketball.

could be that this is just a dream, but I refuse to give up on hope of those players coming back to europe
            Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by robbe
              I think Dirk should give up on that title and come back to play in Europe.
              I already thought of that as well. The team that would get him would surely become a winning team and he could get a championship, a cup or a Euroleague title (or the three of them). Now that would make him happy
              Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan
                Why not Alba? it would pay-out for sure even if offered Dallas-like money, Jordi's grin on the face would be unforgetable, revenues from tickets all time highest in europe for any club considering the number of BBL games being played per season, TV revenues would go up the same way, just as merchandising would... definately profitable, all you need is a organisation willing to risk some million € for the start and Nowitzki being willing to come to play to Germany.
                He seems patriotic enough to me to make such move if others would set the solid ground for it. Not to mention what that would mean for german basketball.

could be that this is just a dream, but I refuse to give up on hope of those players coming back to europe
                Oh yes, that would be sensational for German basketball. Because let's face it, the NT success from 2001 to 2005 might have played a role in getting the BBL more free-TV screen time for a few years, but in the long run it hasn't really had a big effect. Most of the public attention has gone to Dirk and the Mavericks, not the BBL. Dirk playing in the BBL would be a totally different story.

Problem is that he's been longing for this title for a long time and might see it as "giving up" and "failure", if he went back now.

The one thing I have to disagree with in your post is his "patriotism". He isn't playing for Germany each summer for patriotic reasons, he said that a few times in interviews. It's more about being together with his old buddies, developing his game, and probably because he feels the responsibility playing for his country (not to be confused with patriotism).

All in all, I rather see Kirilenko coming back than Dirk. But that maybe also has to do with the fact that AK isn't really happy with his role, and Dirk has pretty much the freedom to do what he wants on offense.

Comment

okay, I got it now, while I of course at first thought of patriotism being the main reason with Dirk practically insisting to play for Germany year after year.

for the last part of your post, I think we agree on both Kirilenko and Nowitzki returning being the best option there throwing Gasol in that mold and... ah... dreams
                  Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                  That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Dirk Nowitzki Named To All-NBA Second Team

DALLAS (CBS 11 News) ― The NBA has named Dirk Nowitzki to the All-NBA Second Team. This is the eighth consecutive year that the Dallas Mavericks forward has been named All-NBA and the third time he has been Second Team.

"It is always an honor to make the All-NBA Team," Nowitzki said Thursday, "and to be recognized along with so many talented players means a lot to me."

Voting on the teams is done by a panel of 127 sports journalists.

Nowitzki is the only player in Dallas Mavericks history to be named All-NBA First Team. He is also only one of three players to be named All-NBA Team in the past eight seasons, the other two being Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant.

Bryant, of the Los Angeles Lakers, was the only unanimous selection this year to the All-NBA First Team. This is his third straight season on the team and sixth career honor. Joining him on the All-NBA First Team are New Orleans guard Chris Paul, Orlando center Dwight Howard, Cleveland forward LeBron James and Boston forward Kevin Garnett.

The All-NBA Third Team consisted of Utah's Carlos Boozer, Boston's Paul Pierce, San Antonio's Manu Ginobili and Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady from Houston. Earlier in the season, Ginobili was named the league's top sixth man.

Nowitzki is joined on the Second Team by San Antonio forward Tim Duncan, Phoenix guard Steve Nash, Utah guard Deron Williams and Phoenix center Amare Stoudemire.

This season, Nowitzki averaged a team-high 23.6 points and 8.6 rebounds, and a career-high 3.5 assists and 36 minutes in 77 starts. He scored over 30 points in 20 games and 25 double-doubles, shooting 47.9 percent from the field, 35.9 percent from 3-point range and 87.9 percent from the line.

In his five first-round postseason games this season, Nowitzki averaged 26.8 points, 12 rebounds, 4 assists and 1.4 blocks in 42.2 minutes per game.

They forgot to mention he achieved his first triple-double this season
                    Could he have made the first team this season instead of KG?
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

GER – Nowitzki shifts focus to Germany

FRANKFURT/MAIN (FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament) - Dirk Nowitzki has again spoken of his burning desire to play at the Beijing Olympics.

Coming off a second straight first-round exit from the NBA play-offs, Nowitzki is anxious to return to the court to help fire Germany to Beijing via the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

At his first press conference back in Germany following his return from the United States, Nowitzki said: “It is our big dream to be at the Olympics, and this goal requires our entire focus.”

In July’s FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Athens, Germany are almost certain to claim one of the top two places in a Group B which also includes New Zealand and Cape Verde.

The next task will be enormously difficult because they will face Greece or Brazil in a quarter-final, unless Lebanon springs an upset and finishes among the top two in Group A.

Nowitzki listed his main goals for the assembled media.

"I want to still play six years at the highest level,” he said.

“I want to win, unconditionally, the championship in the NBA. And I want to be with the national team at the Olympics in Beijing.

"It didn’t happen for Sydney and Athens. I unconditionally want to fulfill my dream and reach Beijing."

Nowitzki, who spends every summer working out with Holger Geschwindner, was supposed to link up with his close friend and mentor on Thursday to begin his individual training before joining the national team for their final stage of preparations in Mallorca on June 21.
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

Dirk Nowitzki interview from BILD

Translated from German to English courtesy of another forum (I can't post links yet)

BILD: Mr. Carlisle, you're for the first time in Germany. How do you like your trip?

RC: It's great. I've been visiting some sights with Dirk's father, went for a meal with Dirk's family and I've been in a beergarden. But most of all I am here to see Dirk doing his workouts.

Dirk: In the morning I always went with Holger to the gym and did some workouts with the ball. Rick watched and brought in his ideas.

RC: I have huge faith in Holger's work. He inserted the things into the workouts I asked for. In the NBA Dirk is guarded very hard, even with two opponents. I want to help him making the right decisions in those situations and to make the game easier for him. How he drives to the basket and how he throws. Dirk, I will make you even better!

BILD: Do you remember the moment you saw Dirk for the first time play?

RC: It was in 1998. Dirk participated in a pickup (?) game in the USA. Almost everybody had a video tape of that game. Back then Larry Bird already knew that Dirk would be a very good player. And he was right. The fact that Dirk trains during summer instead of going on vacation - fantastic.

Dirk: But since two years it's harder to motivate me during the summer. My body wants some time off. So most likely this will be the last summer with me working so hard. I want to go to the Olympics, that's my dream. But next year I will need the summer to relax.

BILD: What do the Mavs need to go for the championship?

RC: We need an athletic player who can drive to the basket. And we need a constant hitting 3-point shooter. Those are the type of players we are looking for. But it's going to be tough next year. In order to be a contender every player needs to be in formidable form - especially Dirk. He is a very important player for the Mavs.

BILD: And he plays this summer in Athen to qualify for the Olympics. Considering the possibility of injuries you might not be very enthusiastic about it.

RC: Right now Dirk lives for his Olympics dream. So I have no choice, I have to root for him.

Dirk: At the moment I see nothing from Würzburg. In the morning I am in the gym and in the evening I am on the stepper (?). That's almost everything what I've been doing for the last three weeks. But if we qualify for the Olympics we will party all night long in Athen.

RC: I will watch the tournament in Athen from Dallas and will root for Germany. I think they have a chance.

BILD: Mr. Carlisle, would you be able to support Team Germany in German?

RC: I only speak two German words: Schnitzel and Schnauze. That are the words I learned from the Bill Murray in the movie "Stripes" (My comment: Sorry, I don't know his original name). But I know that the Germans love David Hasselhoff...

Dirk (laughing): Once I said I would sing "Looking for Freedom" during the freetrows to stay focused. I never got rid of it since then. I even met him once.

RC: Do you have any other rituals?

Dik: Before the games I try to keep the same rhythm. Locker room, warm up, throwing the ball. And I am not allowed to go to the hair cutter. My teammates forbid me to do it. They think we lose when I cut my hair. But in Athen I will have a modern short hair cut.

Comment

Dirk's stat milestones

I hope everything's correct

NBA
                          Rebounds: 23 (2002 vs Celtics)
                          Assists: 12 (2008 vs Bucks)
                          Steals: 9 (2004 vs Rockets)
                          Blocks: 7 (2006 vs Nuggets)

EUROBASKET
                          Rebounds: 19 (2005 vs Russia)
                          Assists: 4 (2007 vs Croatia)
                          Steals: 3 (2001 vs France, 2003 vs Israel and 2005 vs Russia)
                          Blocks: 3 (2001 vs Turkey, 2003 vs Italy, 2005 vs Turkey and 2005 vs Slovenia)

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
                          Rebounds: 16 (2006 vs Angola)
                          Assists: 5 (2002 vs Russia, 2006 vs New Zealand, 2006 vs Spain and 2006 vs Nigeria)
                          Steals: 4 (2002 vs Russia)
                          Blocks: 3 (2002 vs New Zealand, 2002 vs Argentina and 2002 vs New Zealand)

Maybe Dirk will add Olympic stats this year
                          Last edited by rikhardur; 07-25-2008, 07:29 PM.
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Dirkish performance in the Olympic qualifier against New Zealand: 35 pts + 7 rebs in 31 minutes!
                            Attached Files
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

Dirk Nowitzki Continues To Impress For Germany

ATHENS, Greece (AP) ― Dirk Nowitzki scored a tournament-high 35 points to lead Germany to an 89-71 victory over New Zealand on Wednesday at a qualifying tournament for the Beijing Olympics.

Germany used a 17-3 run midway through the second quarter to take a 47-33 halftime lead.

"Dirk is one of the best players in the world. He can score in so many ways," said fellow NBAer Chris Kaman, who added 20 points for Germany but sat out the fourth quarter with a sore ankle.

Kirk Penney scored 29 for New Zealand, which will meet Greece, 89-69 winners over Brazil in Friday's quarterfinals. Germany will play Brazil.[...]
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
                                Maybe Dirk will add Olympic stats this year
                                Oh yes 32 pts + 9 rebs performance against Puerto Rico and Dirk will now add the international tournament that was missing in his career.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by rikhardur; 07-20-2008, 08:51 PM.
                                Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information