Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metropolitan Basketball Association (1998-2002)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metropolitan Basketball Association (1998-2002)

MBA @ 10

MARCH 7, 2008 should have marked the 10th anniversary of the establishment of the Metropolitan Basketball Association (MBA).

It was like only yesterday that the lavish opening ceremonies were held with no less than President Fidel V. Ramos and the legendary Carlos Loyzaga as the guests of honor at the Narciso Ramos Sports Center in Lingayen, Pangasinan.

All 12 pioneer teams were there to parade that Saturday afternoon. Anjanette Abayari led the cheerleaders. There was even a helicopter during the opening to take an aerial shot of the venue.

The first game was the Manila Metrostars of Louie and Jomi Chuidian and Coach Ricky Dandan versus the Cebu Gems of Jean Henri Lhuillier and Coach Jun Tan. Forward Peter Martin scored the first basket and his Metrostars went on to win the game.

The host Pangasinan Presidents of Tim Orbos and Coach Dong Vergeire bowed to the gritty Socsargen Marlins of Ben Solon and Coach Biboy Ravanes in the featured contest. The Marlins drew great plays from Max Delantes and Malai Malabanan.

The next day (March 8 ), the group motored down to the Bren Z. Guiao Convention Center in the City of San Fernando for the second doubleheader.

Those were the days . . . .
    Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
    Servinio's Blog of Sports
    Servinio's Official YouTube channel
    Servinio's Official TWITTER account
    Servinio's Official Instagram account

i really miss those days.....watching it live was much fun...
    a strong man stands up for himself,a stronger man stands up for others.

Comment

Originally posted by the big boss
      i really miss those days.....watching it live was much fun...
      you can say the same for Cebu although I did not particularly like the debris-pelting incidents the Gems fans were infamous for
      Philippine Basketball Review

Cebu Travel Blog

Team Building Services in Cebu

Comment

I miss the days wherein we troop to the "New Cebu Coliseum", unmindful of the stench, the sweat, the huge crowd just to partake in the euphoria of the so called Cebu Gems basketball!..

Dondon Hontiveros was the first casualty of the first game wherein he broke his hand but later returned and went on to become the superstar that he is!
        Last edited by ward; 03-10-2008, 01:38 AM.

Comment

i like dis kind of format dan in the PBA
          #parasabayan
          #GoGilas

Comment

MBA was a great league if it was just managed properly. the bad thing there was they relied purely on ABS-CBN. I think, that was just a payback by ABS when the failed to snatch the PBA.
            i think we should wait and see what the new liga pilipinas can bring when the open this year. hopefully it will as exciting as the MBA.
            "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

The problem with this league was they tried to compete with the more established PBA in terms of players' services... maybe because ABS-CBN pushed them to..or otherwise. The giant network even subsidized the salaries of big name recruits like Adducul, Ferriols, Hizon, Ravena, Morano etc..even had a bidding war with Idlefonso, Marlou and the like.

Some PBA players even use the league as leverage to sweeteen their contract renewals (Marlou comes to mind )....then the PBA reacted with its own approach (the direct hires from the amatuers foregoing the usual draft process and recruitment of top notch fil ams)..the result, escalating salaries of players. Add this to the enormous logistic expenses of travelling, boarding, etc. no wonder, less financed teams dropped like flies in an instant. The MBA even tried contraction, or merging two teams together like batangas and manila into one team.

But no amount of band-aid solution was enough to stop the bleeding, and ABS's pullout made things worse. You can credit ABS for its success when they hyped the league to the untapped countryside when they realized they're on the losing end in the metro..... but blame of its collapse must also go to ABS for overpaying players and over-hyping the MBA,even resorting to calling the PBA, the unflattering senior league (which meant, the players were old, not the stature of the league)....and hyping the MBA as a "major league" and a PBA-equal at least, well in reality, it's just above the PBL. ABS abandoned the league when they realized they cant make profit on their "investments" thus signing MBA death warrant.

The MBA's concept was most ideal...an idea ahead of its time.But it became a victim of its own success.
              Last edited by RetiredJordanStopper; 03-11-2008, 02:17 AM.
              <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

Comment

i agree, as a matter of fact they put a team (iloilo megavoltz) owned by a lopez scion to make it more appealing. i guess the real culprit of the MBA's demise is ABS-CBN.
                "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Comment

man...I love the davao eagles...
                  NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

Comment

Originally posted by RetiredJordanStopper
                    The problem with this league was they tried to compete with the more established PBA in terms of players' services... maybe because ABS-CBN pushed them to..or otherwise. The giant network even subsidized the salaries of big name recruits like Adducul, Ferriols, Hizon, Ravena, Morano etc..even had a bidding war with Idlefonso, Marlou and the like.

Some PBA players even use the league as leverage to sweeteen their contract renewals (Marlou comes to mind )....then the PBA reacted with its own approach (the direct hires from the amatuers foregoing the usual draft process and recruitment of top notch fil ams)..the result, escalating salaries of players. Add this to the enormous logistic expenses of travelling, boarding, etc. no wonder, less financed teams dropped like flies in an instant. The MBA even tried contraction, or merging two teams together like batangas and manila into one team.

But no amount of band-aid solution was enough to stop the bleeding, and ABS's pullout made things worse. You can credit ABS for its success when they hyped the league to the untapped countryside when they realized they're on the losing end in the metro..... but blame of its collapse must also go to ABS for overpaying players and over-hyping the MBA,even resorting to calling the PBA, the unflattering senior league (which meant, the players were old, not the stature of the league)....and hyping the MBA as a "major league" and a PBA-equal at least, well in reality, it's just above the PBL. ABS abandoned the league when they realized they cant make profit on their "investments" thus signing MBA death warrant.

The MBA's concept was most ideal...an idea ahead of its time.But it became a victim of its own success.

Made me wonder, what if Adducul went to the PBA instead..

Comment

he's going to be a journeyman still though a bit early.

Comment

I'm a Metrostars fan. I just love it when Alex Compton and Rommel Adducul led the North squad in almost everything. I love the Nueva Ecija Patriots too. Apparently, they got commercialized after a couple of years...

Evolution made possible by Mei.ka~ of Hello! Online

Comment

Originally posted by Coke_Hero
                          I'm a Metrostars fan. I just love it when Alex Compton and Rommel Adducul led the North squad in almost everything. I love the Nueva Ecija Patriots too. Apparently, they got commercialized after a couple of years...
                          im a cebu gems and davao eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by ankle breaker
                            im a cebu gems and davao eagles fan.
                            i'm a fan of the rivalry between the Negros Slashers and the Cebu Gems
                            Philippine Basketball Review

Cebu Travel Blog

Team Building Services in Cebu

Comment

Originally posted by thadzonline
                              i'm a fan of the rivalry between the Negros Slashers and the Cebu Gems
                              just love it when cebu gems faces negros slashers. it was great. cebu coliseum is a sell out. love those days..
                              http://www.coolcatdesigns.org
                              http://coolcatdesignsandconcepts.forums-free.com/
                              http://www.axispensionehouse.com/
                              http://www.bktours-visa.com/
                              http://s6.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=183782/

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information