Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shock at Efes Pilsen

This is not just a few American players who play in Serbia during a time of conflict. This is also a Turkish team. Turkey has recognised Kosovo's independence and Turks are associated with Kosovar Albanians from a extremist Serbian nationalist standpoint.

However, I don't see any Turkish players denying to play for their team in Belgrade.
    Last edited by Victorious; 02-27-2008 at 09:59 PM.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

If Kuqo has guts to go and play in Belgrade, I see no clue why the hell would those US players be scared of playing there. They would have the maximum security provided - Serbian government would be stupid enough to allow anything happen to professional athletes. They aren't THAT stupid. This would really throw a bad light on them (well, they are already on bad reputation considering the riots).

Ha Ha Ha rummy and amusing ,i think Efes funs don't wanna see such losers in their team as they have real fighters of Kuqo & Kerem & Ender..Never underestimate those guys ..

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Nicholas

The flight to Belgrade was scheduled for 12 am today, but I informed my team about my decision and I had a talk with coach Blatt. I explained that there's nothing more important than my life and that it was impossible for me to go there knowing what happened to the American Embassy. I have nothing against any country and nothing to do with any politics whatsoever.

I feel very bad for not being able to help my team in a such important match for the top 16 of EL. I also feel bad knowing how good professional players we are( with Hutchon, Woods, Wright) and how sad we feel. Just a moment ago I read that the team's manager want us to leave the team but besides the internet, I have no formal information about the issue. Anyways, it's a shame cause I have done my best for the team.

EL shouldn't have allowed the match to be played there. They should better choose a neutral arena to ensure the safety of the players. OAKA for example, as PAO plays at Siena. Anywhere else but not at Belgrade. They said there is a Police Official paper that guarantees no fights or problems but how can just a paper stop an angry bunch of fans ?

I believe what I did was right.
    After all these words I can't understand all the people criticizing the players. What's up men? Do you all think they (=the four american "chickens") keep something hidden behind the decision? Do you think they're plotting something against Efes Pilsen or its management? Couldn't you really believe that they can be WORRIED to go there? I found really really difficult in understanding why so many people are writing against the players. I haven't ready anybody criticizing the club and its decision to NOT SUPPORT their player. I remember Pamesa staying in Spain during Israel's troubles in 2004. Even if the situation implicated all the people in the team, don't you think everyone there were worried to go to Tel Aviv game? And now, why is staying in Istanbul a shame for the 4 players? I can't really understand. Efes GM words made me really sad. A club has to support the troubles or the fear of its players, not making a rally between who's brave and who's not. It's life, not basketball. And players are humans. Someone strong, someone weak. Why distinguish them?

Bye.

Senior Member Juan Carlos Nadal's Avatar

Fairly radical decisions by both parties. I can understand the players' decision but only to a degree and equally I can understand the club's frustration given the importance of the game at this stage.

Regarding the game however, I expect Efes to become more dangerous given the (possible) absences. We have seen it time and time again that once a team seems hopeless due to massive player(s) loss they perform surprisingly well. All it takes would be from Partizan to underestimate Efes and the rest would be history. I do expect however Hala Pionir to be a boiling arena, even more than usual.
    The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Baudio
    Efes GM words made me really sad.

Bye.
    he is an idiot and so is the entire Efes organization for not standing behind their players..
    serbian government was also supposed to guarantee safety for the american embassy..
    we all know what happened there, police simply retreated when the mob came to the site..
    and a bunch of those hooligans who did that are fans..
    I'm not saying they are Partizan fans but they could be..
    who knows..
    and now imagine 6000 fans and probably some hooligans among them in Pionir..
    the Partizan organization was punished by ULEB because they were throwing objects on to the field..
    not once or twice but a bunch of times in last three years..
    game Partizan - Roanne was played infront of empty hall because of that..
    IN THIS EUROLEAGUE SEASON!!!
    and that was all happening in more "peacefull" time then it currently is in Serbia..
    just imagine if the result of the game won't go the way they want..
    or if the refs call a dubious decision..
    have you ever heard monkeylike voices in Pionir for afroamerican players?
    eventhough they always have atleast on afroamerican player in their team?
    have some of you ever watched a C. Zvezda - Partizan bball game?
    have you ever seen things going on there?
    and those games were full of police forces, so with maximum safety..
    o.k., there were fans of both teams in the hall but it just gives you an idea that you don't need the entire hall to start it..
    few hooligans are enough..
    my company is doing a lot of business in Serbia, and hell even I won't go there atleast for another week..
    croatian embassy was attacked eventhough my country still didn't recognize Kosovo independence and we probably won't do that in next few weeks..
    but the embassy was attacked..
    just because it was a croatian embassy..
    and those things weren't done by one person, a few hundreds rather..
    ULEB should have change the game venue to neutral ground..
    period..
    Last edited by Picek; 02-28-2008 at 06:47 AM.
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Do you belive in your story?
    Complexs...

Picka we are not interested in your hate and poison about Serbia or Partizan.

And this is because I, and everyone else who is regular here, know that you just hate everyone and everything, so you hating Serbia and Partizan is nothing personal...

But please do not mix your personal politics into this. As far as I know this is professional sports and the players should behave accordingly, professionally that is. And these four players weren't. While the other 3 Americans and the 1 Albanian of Efes are perfect professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by parso View Post
    Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
    Quote Originally Posted by sseppel View Post
    it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
    Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

After all these words I can't understand all the people criticizing the players. What's up men? Do you all think they (=the four american "chickens") keep something hidden behind the decision? Do you think they're plotting something against Efes Pilsen or its management? Couldn't you really believe that they can be WORRIED to go there? I found really really difficult in understanding why so many people are writing against the players. I haven't ready anybody criticizing the club and its decision to NOT SUPPORT their player. I remember Pamesa staying in Spain during Israel's troubles in 2004. Even if the situation implicated all the people in the team, don't you think everyone there were worried to go to Tel Aviv game? And now, why is staying in Istanbul a shame for the 4 players? I can't really understand. Efes GM words made me really sad. A club has to support the troubles or the fear of its players, not making a rally between who's brave and who's not. It's life, not basketball. And players are humans. Someone strong, someone weak. Why distinguish them?

Bye.
    LOOOOOOOOL are you seriously comparing the situation in Tel Aviv, i mean a war was going on at the time, and the situation in Serbia, where some crazy protesters destroyed an embassy, bit whoop. If all the other players went 1 being Albanian(!!!!!!) then the Americans who stayed should have gone, the problem really isn't that big, now if the game were played 1 week ago i would understand but not today.

I found really really difficult in understanding why so many people are writing against the players. I haven't ready anybody criticizing the club and its decision to NOT SUPPORT their player. I remember Pamesa staying in Spain during Israel's troubles in 2004. Even if the situation implicated all the people in the team, don't you think everyone there were worried to go to Tel Aviv game?
    if I may have my two cents here, I'd say that if there's one thing I can't stand about people, it's foolishness. and when a foolish man is also initiatative, he/she becomes a danger to society. I think the decision made by Nicholas and others, as well as Pamesa's decision made a few years ago, were born out of unwillingness (and maybe inability) to understand what those people found "too complicated" or "about politics".. the interview you quoted to me shows that Nicholas barely has an idea what is going on, yet he bases a very important decision on this limited knowledge.

on the other hand, it's clear as a day that if players have big concerns regarding something, they will not be able to perform. forcing them to go would be absolutely fruitless here, imho. they clearly freaked out and while this could be understood to some degree (considering they're simple people concerned about their safety - pure instincts, little reason), them agreeing to leave the club because of that would mean that they are just a bunch of fools, imho. I can't justify Efes decision as well (if they indeed press on and release those four). They shuld know that even the best have weknesses, even the geniuses may be totally empty in many fields they find irrelevant or hopeless by nature, even if those fields are the integral part of their existance (like politics often were to artists, sportsmen or even some scientists). so imho they had to take some sort of disciplinary measures (like a fine) and leave it at that. but releasing them immediatelly looks like a very emmotional decision and not a very bright one either..

but who cares.
    stop russia

the interview you quoted to me shows that Nicholas barely has an idea what is going on, yet he bases a very important decision on this limited knowledge.
    At last we agree on something. But I'm surprised that you are surprised.you know that doesn't exactly belong here...
    JPF

Quote Originally Posted by kestas
    ...they clearly freaked out and while this could be understood to some degree (considering they're simple people concerned about their safety - pure instincts, little reason)... even the geniuses may be totally empty in many fields they find irrelevant or hopeless by nature, even if those fields are the integral part of their existance...
    Sure... I have met so many doctors who are 'freaked out' to make an injection, so many taxi drivers who are 'freaked out' to drive me somewhere, so many waiters that are 'freaked out' to bring me my beer on the tray and I feel so 'freaked out' sometimes that I don't even wake up to go to work... and guess what all these persons I mentioned above don't get paid hundreds of thousands...
    Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 02-28-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkadiosV2
    Picka we are not interested in your hate and poison about Serbia or Partizan.

And this is because I, and everyone else who is regular here, know that you just hate everyone and everything, so you hating Serbia and Partizan is nothing personal...

But please do not mix your personal politics into this. As far as I know this is professional sports and the players should behave accordingly, professionally that is. And these four players weren't. While the other 3 Americans and the 1 Albanian of Efes are perfect professionals.
    I don't give a fuck about what you think about me or my posts..
    or anyone else here for that matter...
    and I've been proving that with my every post..
    and I will continue to do that..
    am I breaking some forum rules?
    no?
    unnecesarry
    JOF

this is a forum, if you don't want to read some posts skip/ignore them..
    you know how to do that?
    'I'm not here to kiss your ass and just get along with your oppinnion..
    you haven't been in situations I have so you don't have a clue what that really is..
    o.k.?
    and I'm talking about sports here..
    whether you like it or not..

At last we agree on something. But I'm surprised that you are surprised. After all Nicholas is American. it is his second nature not to understand much about world politics and geography.
    and you do?
    yeah right..
    Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 02-28-2008 at 11:09 AM.
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Quote Originally Posted by Picek
    you haven't been in situations I have so you don't have a clue what that really is...
    You are right, I was never humiliated eating my underwear in a forum... I see it has left some permanent scars on your little silky soul... don't let it get the best out of you... hang on there and reach out for help...

At last we agree on something. But I'm surprised that you are surprised. deleted...
    Not again this stupid stereotyping
    Go and ask about Belize your average Giovanni in Lucca. Go and ask about Skanderberg your average Jean-Pierre in Berck-sur-Mer... Go and ask your average Helmut in Garmischpartenkirchen about Colonel Denard and his input into African mercenary history... Ignorance is not a preserve of one nation. Ignorance is a preserve of ignorant people. For fuck's sake, when we were living in the same bloody "state" with Russians, they never managed to distinguish between Baltic nations. It was always same Pribaltika with capital city Riga for them.
    Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 02-28-2008 at 11:10 AM.
    "I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence." Doug McLeod

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAdder
    For fuck's sake, when we were living in the same bloody "state" with Russians, they never managed to distinguish between Baltic nations. It was always same Pribaltika with capital city Riga for them.
    Funny you mention this because I was telling someone that I always confuse Litva with Latvia... For what it's worth I think Litva is much cooler

Bye.
    i just think americans in general are little bit paranoid (not so good in understanding situation
    ) and actually have no clue whats happening you cannot blame them for being what they are... few years ago was kinda funny incident here in vilnius - it was a street art project, with various provocating traffic signs, one of them showed plane hitting the scyscraper (looked kinda like danger plane can hot the scyscraper) so everybody understood it is art or it is joke or whatever, just american tourist group refused to stay in hotel witch was situated nearby...im mean understand these people u are in dangerous europe where u never know what will happen
    Think locally fuck globally!!!

Not again this stupid stereotyping
    Go and ask about Belize your average Giovanni in Lucca. Go and ask about Skanderberg your average Jean-Pierre in Berck-sur-Mer... Go and ask your average Helmut in Garmischpartenkirchen about Colonel Denard and his input into African mercenary history... Ignorance is not a preserve of one nation. Ignorance is a preserve of ignorant people. For fuck's sake, when we were living in the same bloody "state" with Russians, they never managed to distinguish between Baltic nations. It was always same Pribaltika with capital city Riga for them.
    i common have u been to usa, iwas its shocking actually, and im not speaking about people without education who in every country would know nothing bout whats happening outside their village its just general they think usa is centre of world and outside that something that is not important, yeah there are a lot of clever people too, but never in my life a hevent seen so many persons who actually believed that i came from europe to usa with train seriuosly...

I see you're having some fun here... finally we've came to a topic where basketball mixes with politics again, the last one I remember was... when Pamesa decided not to go to Tel Aviv

I'd like you all guys to calm down a bit, restrain yourself from personal stuff and personal vision on political stuff in Serbia nevermind this topic goes hand by hand with it.
    These kinds of topics were locked down in 99% from my experience, now surprise me with the opposite
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Quote Originally Posted by sergent garcia
    i common have u been to usa, iwas its shocking actually, and im not speaking about people without education who in every country would know nothing bout whats happening outside their village its just general they think usa is centre of world and outside that something that is not important, yeah there are a lot of clever people too, but never in my life a hevent seen so many persons who actually believed that i came from europe to usa with train seriuosly...
    Oh, like I said, drive to Rozalimas or Klovainiai and attempt to get locals into sophisticated discussion about where Buenos Aires is located You are dead cert to get some interesting suggestions Haven't you watched Klausimelis on LTV? My favorite of all times is: "Q: Who is Chirac? A: A device to comb horses"
    And to answer your question - yes, I was to US. And the general level of ignorance is on par with any other big nation I visited - UK, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Germany, Brazil, India. Folks there are as uninterested in anything outside their countries as Americans are.
    "I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence." Doug McLeod

Oh, like I said, drive to Rozalimas or Klovainiai and attempt to get locals into sophisticated discussion about where Buenos Aires is located You are dead cert to get some interesting suggestions Haven't you watched Klausimelis on LTV? My favorite of all times is: "Q: Who is Chirac? A: A device to comb horses"
    And to answer your question - yes, I was to US. And the general level of ignorance is on par with any other big nation I visited - UK, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Germany, Brazil, India. Folks there are as uninterested in anything outside their countries as Americans are.
    that what i ment i wasnt in any village or whaver in usa i was speaking with people who finished schools some of them colleges i thin just taht in europe u generally need to learn more bout history just because its so mixed up with your own country history in usa is 75 proc of usa history and 25 for all the others...i mean i dont know what part of italy u was, but when i was living there (milan) they sometimes mixed up lithuania and latvia ok, but really i give ya my one year salary (its not so big) if u could find person 20-27 years who finished school and who believes that u can cross atlantic with train, or that france is capital of paris, or even thats actually shocked me to dont know that new orleans is actually town in your country (and i was in DC and clevlend i can imagine whats happening in south) .... anyway this not a place for that discusion sorry for offtopic....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast