Thread: 5'8 Lorence Dela Cruz -- Next Jimmy Alapag?

Default 5'8 Lorence Dela Cruz -- Next Jimmy Alapag?

Strengths:
    Very quick, can dunk even at 5'8. Excellent handles, he can finish well in the lane with a variety of moves and has a nice floater.
    Practically looks unstoppable while driving in the lane at his level. Gives effort on defense too and can anticipate and intercept passes for the fastbreak.

Weaknesses
    Shooting mechanics looks abit weird? I dont think he can shoot that
    well since his driving game is so dominant so that is one aspect that he can improve.
    his height (But that cant change)and looks he look scrawny but he should bulk more when he gets to college.
    Not much passing or court vision show. (But then again abit nitpicking since he clearly looks way better
    than the rest of his teammates), but I would like to see him show flashes of being a floor general in the next level.

Verdict:
    Feels like a future PBA star in the making. His driving game and athleticism reminds me of a young Jimmy Alapag.

Jude Roque and San Beda tried to recruit him. He opted to go stateside last I heard.

I am assuming this kid is pure Filipino cos of his last name and the one recording is a Filipina. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If that's the case, how the hell is he so shifty for a pinoy? Why the heck is he that athletic for 5'8 player? You can't tell me it's all genes either. Out of the millions in the Philippines, no one can match the type of shiftiness and athleticism from a select number of Filipino population?

It just leads me to believe that we don't lack NBA talent.. We lack NBA-level training. We need more plyometrics and skills training in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by cha34 View Post
    I am assuming this kid is pure Filipino cos of his last name and the one recording is a Filipina. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If that's the case, how the hell is he so shifty for a pinoy? Why the heck is he that athletic for 5'8 player? You can't tell me it's all genes either. Out of the millions in the Philippines, no one can match the type of shiftiness and athleticism from a select number of Filipino population?

It just leads me to believe that we don't lack NBA talent.. We lack NBA-level training. We need more plyometrics and skills training in the country.
    Nonoy is more shifty that this Lawrence. Definitely in the USA can acquire better training, and food. Only Philippine rich school can match that. Also we dont have any AAU system

Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    Nonoy is more shifty that this Lawrence. Definitely in the USA can acquire better training, and food. Only Philippine rich school can match that. Also we dont have any AAU system
    As a person who follows Nonoy closely, that's just not true. Nonoy is fast not necessarily shifty. In the half court, he's more adept at catch and shoot or attacking the close out. He rarely creates off the dribble for the Archers.

Not even DLSU, ADMU or UP have the facility and resources that can provide that level of training.