• Germany

8 66.67%
  • Spain

4 33.33%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SF2: Germany - Spain

Default SF2: Germany - Spain

Fri 16 Sep - 20:30 (GMT+2)

Two impressive teams meet up in the semis. Germany through a tough path, Spain by defying all the questions marks so far.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Germany has better offensive weapons and 3p shooting... and being also bigger than Spain, i see a win by the home team. Even if Spain can suprise again...

I hope Germany but I fear that Spain may win this.
    You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

If Spain wins this I am never gonna watch Eurobasket again (quote from Fasoulaki)

More seriously, feels weird to be the favourite against Spain. It never happened in my entire life. Even when we beat them in Indianapolis 2002 and in Belgrade 2005, we were obvious underdogs. They hated our guts for those two games and did not hesitate to humiliate us with jester plays when they were stomping us by 30 in later tournaments. It's clear we are not that superior though...

Five years ago we also had very impressive wins against Italy in the pool play and upsetting France in eighth-finals, and we competed very well against the Spaniard in the quarters. Then, to my surprise they got annihilated by Slovenia in the semis. I hope it happens again. But I think Scariolo is the best coach in this Eurobasket. So sleepless nights ahead.

P.S. fun fact, we had a 13 game losing streak against Greece until yesterday. I think it's similar with Spain.
    Last edited by Ridirkulous; 09-14-2022 at 01:23 PM.

GER will win

More fun facts:

- in the Eurobasket of 1993, Germany defeated Spain on a last second basket in the quarters, and Greece in the semis.
    - In the 2015 edition, Dennis had 3 free throws to force overtime in the last game of Dirk's career in the group in Berlin. If Germany had won, Spain would have been eliminated from the tournament. He missed the last one and they won the tournament.

Time to right that wrong.

Not sure if Germany can sustain this level and have another game with high fg% but I'm backing them for a win.

The Spaniards won one crucial game against Turkey, after losing to Mother*ing Belgium, to get the easy path. They are living on borrowed time since the Lithuania game and finally, scrolling the lineups I see no position in which we don't have the advantage in the first 7-8 players in the rotation...

...and yet I have this feeling they are going to surprise us. Rudy Fernandez scares me in my sleep even at 37 years of age.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridirkulous View Post
    The Spaniards won one crucial game against Turkey, after losing to Mother*ing Belgium, to get the easy path. They are living on borrowed time since the Lithuania game and finally, scrolling the lineups I see no position in which we don't have the advantage in the first 7-8 players in the rotation...

...and yet I have this feeling they are going to surprise us. Rudy Fernandez scares me in my sleep even at 37 years of age.
    Yes but Shane played when he was unplayably injured, though we were blunt to this fact at the time, and people were slandering him for being useless, in hindsight we would have been better off with no Shane rather than the version we got that day, because if you replace the Shane against Spain with the Shane against Montenegro (the match where he got this injury) Turkey would have cruised past Spain.

I’m calling it, Germany is the heavy favorite against Spain if they play close to like yesterday.

Of course. Germany has had a better tournament, they boast the best players, and they're the hosts, to boot. They are the clear-cut favourites this time. That narrative is very good for Spain. It reminds me of 2019 SFs against Australia. Let's see how Germany, without any experience in this kind of games, handles the pressure of winning in front of their home court. We all know of Schröder's sure hand when the game is on the line, don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
    Yes but Shane played when he was unplayably injured, though we were blunt to this fact at the time, and people were slandering him for being useless, in hindsight we would have been better off with no Shane rather than the version we got that day, because if you replace the Shane against Spain with the Shane against Montenegro (the match where he got this injury) Turkey would have cruised past Spain.

I’m calling it, Germany is the heavy favorite against Spain if they play close to like yesterday.
    The problem is that I am not sure we can shoot like yesterday again. Spain actually plays defence.

Nothing personal against Germany but Viva Espana... Not that it is the better team but as a long time supporter of Spain (in basketball and football) I wish them to somehow win this Eurobasket.
    Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa yaşa;
    Adın yazılacak mücevher taşa.

Quote Originally Posted by SaliH View Post
    Nothing personal against Germany but Viva Espana... Not that it is the better team but as a long time supporter of Spain (in basketball and football) I wish them to somehow win this Eurobasket.
    They really could use this one. Very little success in their resume.

Tension is mounting.

Tension is mounting.

Well, Spain avenged that loss beating Germany by 21 the next summer, on route to a WC gold. Haven't lost a game against Germany since, if I'm not mistaken.

On the other hand, that Nowitzki miracle shot prevented Spain from earning a medal. The only Eurobasket we have failed to do so since 1999. Maybe we could return the favour this time

Due to this gesture from Schroeder against the greek bench after the expell of Giannis I am changing my mind and support now Spain.
    Have a look:
    https://sportforen.de/threads/euroba...5#post-5843088
    You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    Well, Spain avenged that loss beating Germany by 21 the next summer, on route to a WC gold. Haven't lost a game against Germany since, if I'm not mistaken.

On the other hand, that Nowitzki miracle shot prevented Spain from earning a medal. The only Eurobasket we have failed to do so since 1999. Maybe we could return the favour this time
    Miracle shot? It was a shot from a position where he is automatic. And you guys came back from 11 down in the last five minutes. More like almost miracle comeback from Spain, which did not go through.

I don't think Willy is going to cook against Theis and Voigtmann. You guys are a bit short as a roster with respect to the past. The length of the Gasol brother + Ibaka or Mirotic is what killed us in the past. Schröder has always cooked against Spain, I don't think Diaz, which has impressed me honestly, is better defensively than Rubio, which could never guard Schröder. Obst went ballistic and is probably going to be guarded closely, but on the other hand Maodo Lo was very quiet against Greece. He will be ready. Franz Wagner is able to lock Juancho's ass. The opposite? I don't know.

Is Lorenzo Brown your key-factor? I think Scariolo is going to have to dig very very deep in his bag of tricks to win this one. I don't doubt he will. I would say best of luck, but honestly I hope we mop the floor with your team (metaphorically).

Quote Originally Posted by fasoulaki View Post
    Due to this gesture from Schroeder against the greek bench after the expell of Giannis I am changing my mind and support now Spain.
    Have a look:
    https://sportforen.de/threads/euroba...5#post-5843088
    I rewatched the game twice too And you think he was not provoked? After the play I clearly saw Andi Obst looking at the assistant coach of Greece with the "Why are you acting like this?" face. Also Larentzakis and Papanikolau were screaming in his face after every defensive play. The scouting report on Schröder is always the same: try to get in his head.

Hope Deutschland gets the gold!
    https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

I rewatched the game twice too And you think he was not provoked? After the play I clearly saw Andi Obst looking at the assistant coach of Greece with the "Why are you acting like this?" face. Also Larentzakis and Papanikolau were screaming in his face after every defensive play. The scouting report on Schröder is always the same: try to get in his head.
    So?...
    3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast