• Germany

4 25.00%
  • Greece

12 75.00%
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: QF2: Germany - Greece

Default QF2: Germany - Greece

game time: Sep 13th, Tuesday, 20:30 CET
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

A good argument can be made that winner of this game will win the whole thing.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

A Eurobasket classic.

But obviously also:

I cannot find any full game or highlights of the 2001 game in which Germany came back from something like -25 to win the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Ridirkulous View Post
    A Eurobasket classic.

Considering that your 2022 NT is by far, the best german team of all time (this team, and Dirk's teams included). how's media and german people approach?
    Is there any hype that you are conteders? did people start to discuss about eurobasket? or they still live on dortmund-bayern planet?

Quote Originally Posted by Valexander View Post
    Considering that your 2022 NT is by far, the best german team of all time (this team, and Dirk's teams included). how's media and german people approach?
    Is there any hype that you are conteders? did people start to discuss about eurobasket? or they still live on dortmund-bayern planet?
    Do you really think so? I personally thought a few of the Nowitzki teams were very solid, with Femerling, Okulaja, Arigbabu, etc. A legendary star, surrounded by excellent role players. a bit like today's Slovenia.

As far as I could watch, I think Greece is the clear favorite here. They're team that can best adapt to the in-game challenges, and they do have a clear edge in the star & coach, imho.

Germany was my candidate for the final, but now without Wagner situation is quite different. They barely survived Montenegro without him

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    Do you really think so? I personally thought a few of the Nowitzki teams were very solid, with Femerling, Okulaja, Arigbabu, etc. A legendary star, surrounded by excellent role players. a bit like today's Slovenia.
    Lol i am trying hard not to be harsh to Dirk's supporting cast, but you don't help! you draw the card Arigbabu! He was, a well-known name arround greece back then as he played for several mediocre greek teams. We were laughing with friends on how Dirk's impacts the career and legacy of those mediocre players, like him. Femerling solid no argue. but i do think that Dirk's supporting cast was far worse than luka's nowdays. i think the germans are living their basketball raising, and for the years to come, if all of them show the loyalty to the team that Dirk was showing.

I don't live in Germany at the moment, but I still can see that the hype is very poor from outside.
    A lot of people who maybe would get interested by the good results at the end of the sports news still don't know how to watch the game because even though they are free for everybody, they are not on proper TV but only on a pay-tv platform. I guess, for obvious competition reasons, I don't think that the fact the specific German games are free are advertised on normal TV channels.

So short answer: yes, Bayern Munich plays Barcelona tomorrow (football, not Euroleague playoffs this time ), so that's what people are talking about, not Germany vs Greece.

Lol i am trying hard not to be harsh to Dirk's supporting cast, but you don't help! you draw the card Arigbabu! He was, a well-known name arround greece back then as he played for several mediocre greek teams. We were laughing with friends on how Dirk's impacts the career and legacy of those mediocre players, like him. Femerling solid no argue. but i do think that Dirk's supporting cast was far worse than luka's nowdays. i think the germans are living their basketball raising, and for the years to come, if all of them show the loyalty to the team that Dirk was showing.
    OK, I take Arigbabu back But my point was different. that team, not the individuals, was solid. I remember Mithat Demirel could not break into a mid-level Turkish team's rotation, but was starting for Germany and they were beating our NT's ass without Nowitzki.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    OK, I take Arigbabu back But my point was different. that team, not the individuals, was solid. I remember Mithat Demirel could not break into a mid-level Turkish team's rotation, but was starting for Germany and they were beating our NT's ass without Nowitzki.
    The only decent international players on that team were Patrick Femerling, Ademola Okulaja (RIP, you warrior) and at times Denis Wucherer or Pascal Roller.

Okulaja even missed EuroBasket 2005 due to injury, so this puts Dirk's performances even more in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    Germany was my candidate for the final, but now without Wagner situation is quite different. They barely survived Montenegro without him

Where did you read that he is not playing?

I am Greek but I live in Germany.

I can assure you that most of the Germans did not even know there is a Eurobasket going on. Football is the only thing they care. Sad but true.

Biggest German Newspaper and no absolutely no article about the Game tomorrow. Just ridiculos

Still Germany will be a tough opponent. I was in Munic at the Game Germany-Greece (Half Final) in 1993. One of my sadest days in life
    http://www.basket-balls.de
    The German FIBA and Euro Basketball Forum

facebook.com/pages/basket-ballsde/1628212230769284

youtube.com/channel/UCkhSFwOcpeP2ZppZLf43dGA

twitter.com/basketballsde

Another classic game between Greece and Germany in Eurobasket 2001 with Papaloukas missing 7 free throws in a row in the second half

You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

More than one million watch the games at Magentasport. Given the circumstances its a solid number, but I guess the hype is mainly within the german basketball community. We desperately need to bring basketball into television. In comparison around four million people watched our eurobasket handball games. And even ice hockey nearly trippled those numbers.

I think the 2019 team apperaring at the world cup was similar talented, they just heavily lacked team chemistry and the leadership of some players today. For me Greece is the favourite, but just by a slide margin under the condition Wagner is fit enough to perform to the best of his common abilites. I expect a very close game and tough battle.

Quote Originally Posted by fasoulaki View Post
    Another classic game between Greece and Germany in Eurobasket 2001 with Papaloukas missing 7 free throws in a row in the second half

DANKE DIR. Honestly been looking for this game forever as I was saying here

I cannot find any full game or highlights of the 2001 game in which Germany came back from something like -25 to win the game...

Quote Originally Posted by fasoulaki View Post
    oh, please don't remind me of this game.

Germany will be a tough opponent. Expecting a close game - 60/40 for Hellas i would say.

Quote Originally Posted by ak-one View Post
    oh, please don't remind me of this game.
    This game of course was a loss but it was catalytic for Papaloukas. He never forgot those missed freethrows as he admitted himself. This loss made him the player he needed to be to get Eurobasket 2005 and beat the US in the semifinal 2006!!!

DANKE DIR. Honestly been looking for this game forever as I was saying here
    Nicht dafür! In the past Redbutler, Turobstef and myself had our own basketball forum called basket-balls.de where we had a collection of links to almost all greek national team games since the appearance of Nikos Galis.
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 09-12-2022 at 11:42 AM.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast