This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future of the Turkish NT

I thought after the harsh end of the Eurobasket 22 we can here about the future developments of the Turkish NT. What is needed? What are the weaknesses and what can we count on in the future.

OK I am gonna start...

We started very weak on this Eurobasket and it was very worrisome especially on the defensive end. Ataman made some adjustments and our game looked better. What were the problems?

- Inability to defend high pick and roll action
    - Inability to defend low post action
    - No rim protection and weak perimeter defense

The main problem was the physical state of our bigs. Sengün but especially Sanli were not ready physically, far away from their 100%. We needed a more balanced team with at least better perimeter defenders, this was possible. We have the guys...

I am insisting on Kenan Sipahi. He is a Euroleague defender and has the size to defend multiple positions and he is an underrated play maker. He would have changed many things.

So what do we have on the backcourt? I think we can count on Larkin at least in the following two years but we shouldnt be that dependable on him. He hasnt played a role in this tournament but Bitim is a solid two way scorer and we can count on him making the next steps. I have been following Hazer from his youth days and he overachieved my highest expectations. I mean he showed some glimpses of shot creation in his last Bandirma year but I never expected him to be that consistent. I expect him to be a great Euroleague starter in the next NT tournament. We should also be able to count on Osman but shrink his offensive role a bit. He showed that he is ready to step down so I dont see big problems here.

Furkan Korkmaz showed a surprising change in his attitude in this tournament compared to the previous ones. He didnt disappear. I still doubt that the Philly is the right spot for him but I see still some potential to be a better player. Tbh I would rather see him in Europe playing for Efes than have a mediocre career in the NBA.

We should say goodbye to the idea of using Mahmutoglu from now on. Such one speciality guys with those weaknesses dont help winning something but I am ok with Tuncer as the 12th man on the roster.

The team should be built around Sengün. Due to his size and slow legs he needs someone who can cover these weaknesses and considering him creating shots from the mid range he should be able to play with Adem Bona. If both turn out to be what we expect it will be the most exciting big rotation in whole Europe.

We have more than enough quality in the 2-3 positions which is good. Adding Bona, Sanli, Yurtseven, Sengün and Osmani and considering their age I dont see many problems in the 4-5 rotation as well.

Mert Akay is still the most crucial player of this team. I know he had two injuries and hasnt been playing for a long time. We dont know his level and how he comes back but I dont doubt a bit that hell come stronger back and even with one leg he would still be more useful than what we have right now.

The other guy I am expecting to be invited soon is David Mutaf. He has problems with lateral quickness and should work on his pick and roll initiation skills but the kid is a hard worker.

So Adem Bona, Mert Akay and David Mutaf should be the new additions to this team in two years.

Comment

Larkin, Akay,xxx
      Hazer, Korkmaz
      Bitim, Cedi
      Osmani, Kabaca
      Sengun,Sanli, Bona

As I wrote previously, it's time for some players take episode roles that fit them better. Chokers like Cedi and Korkmaz, could be very good role players. Anyhow, they are used to that in their clubs and should play the same roles here(during those rare occasion when they appear in NT). After all they will not play for NT next 3-4 years anyway, cos we are probably out from WC and Olympics.

Core of this team should be Larkin, Hazer, Bitim, Osmani and Bona. Young players who will play on high level next 6-8 years. In the meantime we should find replacement for Larkin after he leaves Efes some day.

Elimination of Melih alone will increase power of this team for 10-15%, better roles distribution will add next 10-15, which makes us much more serious team and regular candidate for every competition.

Bigger part of defense problems will be solved without soft players in rotation, as well as number of turnovers. Korkmaz, Cedi, Melih and Tuncer 11 TOs yesterday, rest of the team 4.

Bitim and Osmani must play EL asap, and it's up to Efes and Fener to do something about that. without games on highest level improvement is much slower.

Comment

We have to fullfil the pg position and Mert Akay is serious candidate to fill that gap. Mert also has very good work ethic and good character wise which is also very important to team spirit. I do not know his last situation as to injury hope he will be bounce back in better better shape. Also Ömercan İlyasoğlu is really good talent. I would prefer Efes on loan him this year to get more playing time. He might having a solid experience with Bursa and coach Alimpijevic. I really get Teodosic vibe but his body language is not that promising.

Also I would like to mention about Hazer. I do not know why but people underestimate this kid by describing him just role player. He is full package player and can do everything. Maybe he will never be super star but extremely solid player. He got blocked by Gobert in France game and after that hit the three without hesitate. Kid has balls and fearless. It very hard to find this sort of Turkish player.

I am pretty confident with PF position since Osmani, Kabaca and Saybir going to gain experience plus that we have Büyüktuncer and Kerem Konan as solid prospects. Besides that center position will be covered nicely from Bona and Furkan Haltali even if we do not count Yurtseven.

Comment

What did you guys see in Mert Akay at the senior level to count on him so much?
          5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
            What did you guys see in Mert Akay at the senior level to count on him so much?
            Idea(as I understood) was about future so some predictions must be included, otherwise Melih would be in the roster

Comment

Kenan Sipahi is definitely not a savior or sth, yet he is the best all-around Turkish PG right now. Projecting a future without him is lame. One day people will realize he is actually a very important player, but it will be too late. He is going to have his most fruitful times upcoming 5 years and we should seriously find ways to utilize him. He is not the guy of micro roles, giving enhanced role to him will surely make us a better team.

Akay had only one good season in average competition, he has a lot of rooms to prove something real, besides having back to back two heavy injures is a big question mark regarding his future. He needs to get into action in a more serious team. Then, we will have more clear opinion on him.

Until that time, Sipahi is my lock. Skip that primitive overview he can't shoot and etc, just realize his actual value. He is that guy who makes people around him look better. Defense is bonus. We can use him at least 6-7 years.
              Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
              Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

After watching 3 games of Büyüktuncel (I know its far too early) and his superb defense, play making, rebounding skills we should really consider him too. It seems his skills are translating to the BSL level which is really great to watch. The guy really can defend all 5 positions more or less in Europe but lets wait till the league starts. What I have seen so far is really promising.

Comment

OMFG!

Comment

Yurtseven on a Bike... what exactly are we supposed to see here? That his shape is good or that he enjoys his summer in Miami while we needed him on the Eurobasket? A Eurobasket where his rebounding could have been very helpful for a team that couldn't grab rebounds even against Bulgaria...
                    Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa yaşa;
                    Adın yazılacak mücevher taşa.

Comment

It seems we are on a very good way to solve the PF problem. After Berke B?y?ktuncel Sadik Emir Kabaca also made a big step forward offensively as well as Yigitcan Saybir. Considering the addition of Ercan Osmani there are four playable PFs for the NT.

Lets sum up the strength and weaknesses of all four guys shortly:

Berke B?y?ktuncel: 18 year old he is the youngest of all four guys and the guy with the biggest upside. He has tremendous defensive upside and can guard 2-4 everyone in Europe. He has a 25-30 minutes role with Tofas which is great. If he keeps making his 3 pointer surely a draft candidate in 2024.

Ercan Osmani: His body still needs work and he has some fundamental weaknesses. He causes too many TOs due to double dribbles, lack of hand eye coordination etc. but he has tremendous skills for a real 7 footer. He is a solid spot up shooter and can attack any close outs, has a mid range jumper, a solid ft shooter which is a rarity for the Turkish NT. I am sure he will land in Efes or FB next season. Defensively not the difference maker that I expected but still a guy who can defend.

Sadik Emir Kabaca: Averaged 12,5 points in two games in the FIBA CL. Made a huge step offensively. He looks way more matured this season and makes really good decisions in terms of scoring and sharing the ball but he has a long way to go defensively. He has the body to be a good defender but he cant read defensive games very good atm and he is very often too late for helps and he needs to bulk up in time.

Yigitcan Saybir: Very efficient game in Ljubljana. Unlike the others he has a EL body, doesnt give much on the offensive end. A faceup guy who is very solid in open court and a good cutter and a good defender so far for Eurocup level. His spot up shooting will decide about his ceiling.

All four have EL upside and Berke B?y?ktuncel can even have hopes for the NBA. Considering guys like Kerem Kuthan Konan, Yigit Hamza Mestoglu and Demir Dogan there are more than enough talent for the future too.

Of course we cant say we solved the problem until one or two guys here can deliver in the EL.

Comment

I wanna write my thoughts on Turkish guys.

Alperen - I do not understand what change recently but suddenly Silas decided to use Alperen with second unit. In preseason he started games with Alperen but then before the first game everything is changed. The reason behind that decision is they think KPJ and Green are main guys. But this is not correct and they will learn it hard way. I watched the game last night. Green is gifted scorer, also KPJ is nice shooter but KPJ is not a point guard.I think Houston decided their priorities wrongly and they gonna realize it soon. Alperen is in good shape, feels more comfortable beyond arc, and is better defender than last season. I do not like Jabari also but he is still young. Alperen and Green are most talented guys in the team. Alperen needs to put numbers like 15 pt, 10 reb and more every night. He has an opportunity in this season and I think he would do it. He can be Allstar in the future.

Cedi - He played good in the first game. It seems like he has a role in the team. Before season, it is possible that he would be out of rotation. But it seems like Cavs gonna use him like 6th man. He can be better shooter this season but overall he is same Cedi. But it is nice to have a role in team.

Furkan - He is out of rotation. But I think he was good in EuroBasket and preseason. This decision is not base on the fact that Furkan is worse than other guys. They have biases on him because of last season. But Phila has problems, they are 0-2. They almost get nothing from bench. No scoring, no playmaking. Team depends on Harden. At some point, Furkan would have a chance. Phila needs him. But it is just my opinion, we will see what will happen.

?mer - He is injured. We can not watch him. But Miami is 0-2 also. It means that they need some change and we gonna see what ?mer can do. But after all, if he does not play for national team, I do not care at all.

Comment

Alperen - I do not understand what change recently but suddenly Silas decided to use Alperen with second unit. In preseason he started games with Alperen but then before the first game everything is changed. The reason behind that decision is they think KPJ and Green are main guys. But this is not correct and they will learn it hard way. I watched the game last night. Green is gifted scorer, also KPJ is nice shooter but KPJ is not a point guard.I think Houston decided their priorities wrongly and they gonna realize it soon. Alperen is in good shape, feels more comfortable beyond arc, and is better defender than last season. I do not like Jabari also but he is still young. Alperen and Green are most talented guys in the team. Alperen needs to put numbers like 15 pt, 10 reb and more every night. He has an opportunity in this season and I think he would do it. He can be Allstar in the future.
                          It is very difficult for him to be effective with KPJ and Green on the floor. Thats the reason he comes from the bench but he will start somewhere in the season.

Furkan - He is out of rotation. But I think he was good in EuroBasket and preseason. This decision is not base on the fact that Furkan is worse than other guys. They have biases on him because of last season. But Phila has problems, they are 0-2. They almost get nothing from bench. No scoring, no playmaking. Team depends on Harden. At some point, Furkan would have a chance. Phila needs him. But it is just my opinion, we will see what will happen.
                          After his desolate second half in the last season. It was expectable. He will have to wait for an injury but its time for him to change the team.

?mer - He is injured. We can not watch him. But Miami is 0-2 also. It means that they need some change and we gonna see what ?mer can do. But after all, if he does not play for national team, I do not care at all.
                          It seems you care after all. He hasnt retired from the NT. He was just pissed that he got 10 minutes playing time against GB. Ataman made him feel that he is clearly behind Sanli in that shape. He hasnt reacted correctly but I can understand him.

Comment

Ok, time for a break down... First of all I am happy that Ataman listened to us and implemented Sipahi to the team. It paid off even though we lost to Serbia by one point. I still wait for Akay to have a stable start. Still a strong, very strong believer of this guy but as long as he is not ready Sipahi is our guy.

Its interesting that we have so many up-risers of young guys. Even better is the situation Bitim is able to lead such a strong Eurocup team scoring wise. Kabaca, Osmani can be trusted offensively and I understand now why "Slice me nice" was so high on Buyuktuncel after the U18 EC. Its really exciting to see him developing offensively beside his superb defense.

The PF position was a real problem some month ago and with Birsen performing it really looks we could have a luxury problem in the future. I dont trust him much since he is a sleeping pill but I acknowledge his effort in the EL especially on the defensive end. I mean they will not dominate against top teams but we can at least compete and having so many options on this position we can use Buyuktuncel as a difference maker as a SF.

Our problem was never scoring although there are struggles creating against top teams but we can neither protect the rim nor can we show some resilience coming from our backcourt. We need players who can react to different situations. The test using Osman as a PF didnt work at all. We couldnt grab a fucking rebound so just forget it but a backcourt lineup with Larkin, Bitim, Osman can defend as well as score.

Bona is by far not at that level I expected him to be and it could be a crucial mistake to go to the states since he is used as a mere rim runner. He showed so much more in Europe but even with such a small skill set he will clean up Senguns mistakes. I think our future team is set and the depth chart looks good.

Larkin, Akay, Sipahi
                            Bitim, Korkmaz, Hazer
                            Osman, Buyuktuncel, Birsen
                            Bona, Osmani, Kabaca
                            Sengun, Yurtseven, Sanli

This team will be able to beat anyone in two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post

Larkin, Akay, Sipahi
                              Bitim, Korkmaz, Hazer
                              Osman, Buyuktuncel, Birsen
                              Bona, Osmani, Kabaca
                              Sengun, Yurtseven, Sanli

This team will be able to beat anyone in two years.
                              You mean this team will have a chance to show up on the stage in two years, right? Seriously, your optimism is always over the top and I like optimistic and passionate posters, but "able to beat anyone" is another exaggeration off course. Just as you were too optimistic in 2019 saying that 2022 EB will be Turkey's tournament.

FOA, there's no point guard. ATM your absolutely best shot is to go with foreigner once again, but that works rarely. Absolute majority NT which wins medals have their own studs at this position.

SOA, I'm not sure I see starting level 2. Korkmaz may be very close to that, and I think ATM he's either boderline or true starer. So maybe Korkmaz in an answer for this decade at 2. Bitim from what I've seen, and may seen too little, is a scorer, but not exactly complete piece at 2. To be a starter you have to be complete player at 2, IMO. Something like Siskauskas, De Colo, Navarro. To me Bitim seems like shooting first swingman.

There's no staring 3. I could see Buyuktuncel becoming starting 4, but I don't think he's 3. Osman is a role player by all means. If you ask him to do too much, it will be a failure again.

Both Sengun and specially Bona are centers. There's no doubt about it. Sengun may play some 4 too, but not a great fit.

Generally speaking, there's no definite answers at 1-3. More like a bunch of role players. From your prospects there's no single 1-3 players drafted or having indisputable upside to be elite EL piece.

Aside frontline ( think Sengun, Bona, Buyuktuncel) are elite pieces and that should do it, there's no true studs in the backcourt and that's why there's no objective point to claim anything about future success. More like Turkey is not competition for such countries as Spain, France, Serbia (as always).
                              LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                              Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                              Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information