Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurobasket 2022 - Round of 16

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    I have to say that FIBA has to do a better job in protecting the players. I mean all the players, but especially the top players who can't be stopped on the court. There are so many problems in FIBA basketball, like the FIBA vs Uleb conflict and different rules between NBA and FIBA. Regardless of that we seem to have a great product in this Eurobasket. Top players have the willingsness to play in the trounament. And NBA teams , although the dislike it, are understanding enough to allow it. As long as their players are protected.
    This is the weirdest tournament I ever watched. Player beaten in the tunnel, referee injured player in 1st second of the game(Tobey), missed seconds, stolen ft. Shame

Serbia hasn't played one game yet in a complete roster. And it seems like they won't at all considering Nedović is probably out and Marinković coping with some issues (just as he was getting into rhythm), just like Milutinov. There is a possibility that we will continue to play with only three guards, which is really not enough for this level of basketball. All I know is that Serbia will need a Herculean effort from Jokić to advance throughout the knockout stage. I also think that we will need Micić to take another step forward in his overall quality and grow even more to become an even better player in remaining games. These are the games that could change career for some players like Jaramaz, Marinković and even Gudurić, and they will have a good chance to step up within their roles. Tough draw but I don't think we expected anything less. Maybe a bit easier 1/8, but still have a chance as any other remaining team.

Quote Originally Posted by Serbian_Layup View Post
    Serbia hasn't played one game yet in a complete roster. And it seems like they won't at all considering Nedović is probably out and Marinković coping with some issues (just as he was getting into rhythm), just like Milutinov. There is a possibility that we will continue to play with only three guards, which is really not enough for this level of basketball. All I know is that Serbia will need a Herculean effort from Jokić to advance throughout the knockout stage. I also think that we will need Micić to take another step forward in his overall quality and grow even more to become an even better player in remaining games. These are the games that could change career for some players like Jaramaz, Marinković and even Gudurić, and they will have a good chance to step up within their roles. Tough draw but I don't think we expected anything less. Maybe a bit easier 1/8, but still have a chance as any other remaining team.
    Nedovic won't play anymore but Marinkovic probably will. But never mind, even 3 players rotation on 2 positions is ok, 27 minutes each is less then they play in their clubs.

Sure you will need great Jokić, like Slovenia and Greece need great Luka and Giannis. There's slight difference though, Serbia has far the best team outside superstar. Luka had to score very efficient 83 points to win last 2 close games. Yesterday, Luka was 6/11 for 3 and all the others 2/16 on mostly wide open 3s, only Muric making 3. I don't believe Jokic has that kind of burden on him.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    I have to say that FIBA has to do a better job in protecting the players. I mean all the players, but especially the top players who can't be stopped on the court. There are so many problems in FIBA basketball, like the FIBA vs Uleb conflict and different rules between NBA and FIBA. Regardless of that we seem to have a great product in this Eurobasket. Top players have the willingsness to play in the trounament. And NBA teams , although the dislike it, are understanding enough to allow it. As long as their players are protected.
    Luka is on the floor many times each game. Yesterday he got stitches and team doctor said he might get MRI on his wrist in Berlin. I can only imagine how Mavs are feeling, watching their 217 million investment being beaten every day.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    Nedovic won't play anymore but Marinkovic probably will. But never mind, even 3 players rotation on 2 positions is ok, 27 minutes each is less then they play in their clubs.
    The problem is that Micić will have to play 30+ minutes because we have zero playmaking from guards when he sits. The only solution is to have one of Jokić/Micić on the floor for the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Sure you will need great Jokić, like Slovenia and Greece need great Luka and Giannis. There's slight difference though, Serbia has far the best team outside superstar. Luka had to score very efficient 83 points to win last 2 close games. Yesterday, Luka was 6/11 for 3 and all the others 2/16 on mostly wide open 3s, only Muric making 3. I don't believe Jokic has that kind of burden on him.
    We will have a good team defense with Kalinić and Lučić. Micić will provide scoring, but everyone else from guard rotation is a big unknown at this level, that's why I'm saying it's a big chance for Jaramaz, Marinković and Gudurić to take the next step through these games.

We will have a good team defense with Kalinić and Lučić. Micić will provide scoring, but everyone else from guard rotation is a big unknown at this level, that's why I'm saying it's a big chance for Jaramaz, Marinković and Gudurić to take the next step through these games.
    And you have Milutinov, who for sure can play at least 10 solid minutes and enables Jokic to get some rest, Micic running team in that time. On paper Serbia should win this Eurobasket. Slovenia and Greece would need monster performances from Giannis and Luka to just be close.
    previously known as Beno

After the group stage it’s safe to say that Serbia is undoubtedly the favorite to win gold. As Bod already said they have the far superior team outside their superstar.

Nedovic injured. In other news the sun will rise from the East tomorrow.
    3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

it's really rear to see role players stepping up, on a bigger role that they used to have on NT, or their clubs, during a major tournament like this one. i can only recall lithuanian players and especially guards that they used to transform in fiba tournaments to become a difference maker, unlikely what we were used to see the whole year, like kalnietis.
    Still i don't feel that you need jaramaz to become key player in order to advance.

Quote Originally Posted by paspalj View Post
    After the group stage it’s safe to say that Serbia is undoubtedly the favorite to win gold. As Bod already said they have the far superior team outside their superstar.

Nedovic injured. In other news the sun will rise from the East tomorrow.
    It's Teodosic's curse!

Strange situation for Serbia, they had two huge tests in the WC qualifiers before the tournament, which they passed. But now they have been playing training games for a week. But I guess they made them look like training and instead they played very good teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    And you have Milutinov, who for sure can play at least 10 solid minutes and enables Jokic to get some rest, Micic running team in that time. On paper Serbia should win this Eurobasket. Slovenia and Greece would need monster performances from Giannis and Luka to just be close.
    Each one of Giannis, Dončić and Jokić will have monster games against each other (if they meet, of course), but the winning side will be determined by the supporting cast and their ability to knock down open shots and play good defense. As far as I could see each of these teams can play good defense when locked in, and are also capable of hitting open shots. Dorsey brings a lot to Greece, I'm guessing Prepelič will bring a lot to Slovenia when it matters, and hopefully Serbia's role players will shoot well enough to capitalize on gravity created by Jokić. It's all very close, IMO. And I think France is still able to beat any team in knockout games.

Quote Originally Posted by Valexander View Post
    it's really rear to see role players stepping up, on a bigger role that they used to have on NT, or their clubs, during a major tournament like this one. i can only recall lithuanian players and especially guards that they used to transform in fiba tournaments to become a difference maker, unlikely what we were used to see the whole year, like kalnietis.
    Still i don't feel that you need jaramaz to become key player in order to advance.
    We don't need Jaramaz to be the key player, we need him to be the key player within his role. That's big difference, IMO.

And the most important is probably character, willingness to face adversities when they come. Team that is best prepared in that regard (besides talent and pure quality) is probably going to win in the end.

with the first match-ups, I also think Group B will go 4-0 against Group A, and probably with less effort than they had to display so far.

as for our team, I think we've improved with each game. We were better in the game we lost against Georgia than the first two, and the best in the Spain loss. Anyway, this will not be enough in the 1/16, especially without Larkin, and France being the worst match-up in terms of game style, but I think there is actually something here that Ataman can shape into a decent team within the next couple of years.
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 09-08-2022 at 12:11 PM.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    with the first match-ups, I also think Group B will go 4-0 against Group A, and probably with less effort than they had to display so far.

as for our team, I think we've improved with each game. We were better in the game we lost against Georgia than the first two, and the best in the Spain loss. Anyway, this will not be enough in the 1/16, especially without Larkin, and France being the worst match-up in terms of game style, but I think there is actually something here that Ataman can shape into a decent team within the next couple of years.
    Problem for Turkey is that they are very mediocre in PG position and considering they will probably miss WC and Olympics, next tournament should be in 2025 and I doubt they will be getting Larkin's services until then.
    1997 - 2012 - 2013

IMO it's not crazy at all to say that we may have a groub B final 4.
    Especially if Fournier, and heurtel come up big and consistent on the knock out stage anything can happen. yes, Batum absence was underestimated, at least by me. those 2 i mentioned have ups and downs,(i expected Fournier to be a "bogdanovic" in terms of efficience and that's not happening) and they are not factors you can relly on, yes Gobert is confirmed as an offensive liability even on fiba stage. but if someone can slow down jokic, i think he has the better chances.
    Germany-Greece in berlin is a really even match-up. if they get a 55-45 by officials, and if they permit a rough def on Giannis. They have the upper hand. Slo and ltu are almost already there.
    Last edited by Valexander; 09-08-2022 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R1ou View Post
    Problem for Turkey is that they are very mediocre in PG position and considering they will probably miss WC and Olympics, next tournament should be in 2025 and I doubt they will be getting Larkin's services until then.
    And there are no other American PGs or Turkey cant develop a decent PG until then right?

Quote Originally Posted by R1ou View Post
    You are wrong in pointing the real problems which means you didn't follow recent games. PG(at least with Larkin) isn't problem.

Issues are the most connected with Ataman and his poor job with decent(at least on the paper) group of players. Those issues are lack of defensive system, offense based most on isos, lack of rim protector and most of all wrong roles distribution. Melih and Tuncer played much more minutes then Bitim and Saybir for instance. We lost both games with Melih in crutial parts of the game. Preparation game against Greece too(you watced probably at least that game)

I would realy like to see your team with Melih on the court for 20 minutes and if Giannis could compensate all damage such player can do. And we have two of them.

TBH I don't want Ataman next couple of years, NT isn't Efes and he can't buy better players. He just know that way, for tactics and system he is pure ignorant So future with him isn't bright at all

Regardless of result against France, this project is same like Olympic qualifiers in Canada or any other tournament in last 10 years. We were even better back there until 2nd half against Greece.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast