NT Naturalizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Rules are the same for everyone, but imho allowing 1 naturalised player was implemented primarily to help smaller countries to be more competitive. Slovenia not having big in 2 mio population, not enough people over 2.1 to produce solid big, looks more natural than Spain not having Pg in 47 mio.
    It's not about the size of the country, but the pool of players. The goal is to raise the basketball level of the country. So it makes more sense to allow a naturalised player for huge countries with little basketball tradition, like India, than for small countries where basketball is already popular.

Simply taking into account the population has a couple obvious counterarguments: first of all, if you allow a naturalised player for Slovenia, how is that fair for Montenegro, which has one third of the population? And second, if Russia or even the USA have used naturalised players, how can you call it fair for Spain not to use the same rule to balance things a bit when facing them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
      But at the end there’s always many hypotheticals, one thing stands and that’s saying it wasn’t meant to be.
      That's exactly where I was getting to. There are too many variables that can affect the outcome of a tournament to confidently make claims such as "without player XXX you'd have lost". The only thing I can say is that almost every year I hear predictions like "Without Pau Spain won't be able to compete" or "Spain has no chance with such and such being older and washed up"; only for some other players to take over and carry Spain to a medal. I have no doubt, having failed to recruit Brown, we would still be competitive with another combination of players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
        A stark contrast with the last Eurobasket, which Slovenia won without any help from any American without connections to their country... Oh the hypocrisy!
        What hypocrisy? I criticise Slovenia too.

Even more, this thing pisses me off for all the legal immigrants who wait eternities to get citizenship. Some countries are consistent in their rules other not. FIBA’s rule should be the strictest one, not the most lenient, for fairness of competition.

Comment

It's not about the size of the country, but the pool of players. The goal is to raise the basketball level of the country. So it makes more sense to allow a naturalised player for huge countries with little basketball tradition, like India, than for small countries where basketball is already popular.

Simply taking into account the population has a couple obvious counterarguments: first of all, if you allow a naturalised player for Slovenia, how is that fair for Montenegro, which has one third of the population? And second, if Russia or even the USA have used naturalised players, how can you call it fair for Spain not to use the same rule to balance things a bit when facing them?
          I'm sure you understand that producing a big is almost impossible, if there's not enough big people in the population? Slovenia has no problems with guards, because pool is there big enough. I'm not sure, if there's 10 Slovenians over 2.1 between 22-35 years in the whole Slovenian population. Spain has no problems whatsoever with pool of Spanish players, so naturalisation doesn't have much sense.
          Last edited by Killer Bob; 09-17-2022, 05:23 PM.
          previously known as Beno

Comment

• Originally posted by Ridirkulous View Post
            What hypocrisy? I criticise Slovenia too.

Even more, this thing pisses me off for all the legal immigrants who wait eternities to get citizenship. Some countries are consistent in their rules other not. FIBA’s rule should be the strictest one, not the most lenient, for fairness of competition.
            That is a great point. As a person that has gone through all the bullshit bureaucracy to get citizenship in a foreign country it's very frustrating.
            3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

Comment

• Originally posted by paspalj View Post
              That is a great point. As a person that has gone through all the bullshit bureaucracy to get citizenship in a foreign country it's very frustrating.
              I'm 100% sure that world top engineers, doctors, physicists...have 0 problems to get whatever they want in Germany, if they emigrate there.
              previously known as Beno

Comment

I'm 100% sure that world top engineers, doctors, physicists...have 0 problems to get
                whatever they want in Germany.
                Are you talking about residency or passport?

Comment

• Originally posted by paspalj View Post
                  Are you talking about residency or passport?
                  Everything that you need for work and great life there. Basketball players need passport immediately, because Fiba demands it. It's like working visa for those players. If you're great engineer, you would get everything you want and eventually passport too, if you want it.
                  previously known as Beno

Comment

I'm 100% sure that world top engineers, doctors, physicists...have 0 problems to get whatever they want in Germany, if they emigrate there.
                    Bullshit. I am working in scientific research and I have many non EU friends working in Germany. Residence yes. Citizenship there is no fast track. If they had exemptions for those jobs there would be also for sport stars.

Comment

Everything that you need for work and great life there. Basketball players need passport immediately, because Fiba demands it. It's like working visa for those players. If you're great engineer, you would get everything you want and eventually passport too, if you want it.
                      I am asking because although I'm not a top computer scientist, as a known cryptographer it was definitely easier for me to get residency but getting naturalized is the same process for everyone. It doesn't matter how good of a scientist you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ridirkulous View Post
                        Bullshit. I am working in scientific research and I have many non EU friends working in Germany. Residence yes. Citizenship there is no fast track. If they had exemptions for those jobs there would be also for sport stars.
                        Sure, but you understand the difference. Basketball player needs passport to play basketball for NT. So they have to give to him. You give top engineers whatever they need and want to work in Germany too. All emigrants are for sure not in the same position.
                        Last edited by Killer Bob; 09-17-2022, 06:11 PM.
                        previously known as Beno

Comment

I'm sure you understand that producing a big is almost impossible, if there's not enough big people in the population? Slovenia has no problems with guards, because pool is there big enough. I'm not sure, if there's 10 Slovenians over 2.1 between 22-35 years in the whole Slovenian population. Spain has no problems whatsoever with pool of Spanish players, so naturalisation doesn't have much sense.
                          That's not true. Average height in Slovenia is 5 cm taller than in Spain. Even though there are 20x more people in Spain, the number of people over 2m tall isn't that far away. Actually, I read somewhere that Slovenia was one of the top ten countries in percentage of tall people (over 180 cm). And from all the tall people, you have to take into account how many of them will choose a different sport over basketball.

Anyway, that's not the comparison I wanted to make. The spirit of that rule isn't to help small countries to win titles. Slovenia is a tremendously blessed country in terms of basketball players compared with dozens of countries where basketball is a minority sport.

Comment

That's not true. Average height in Slovenia is 5 cm taller than in Spain. Even though there are 20x more people in Spain, the number of people over 2m tall isn't that far away. Actually, I read somewhere that Slovenia was one of the top ten countries in percentage of tall people (over 180 cm). And from all the tall people, you have to take into account how many of them will choose a different sport over basketball.

Anyway, that's not the comparison I wanted to make. The spirit of that rule isn't to help small countries to win titles. Slovenia is a tremendously blessed country in terms of basketball players compared with dozens of countries where basketball is a minority sport.
                            And you don't find interesting that Slovenia, with relatively big pool of players, had always problems with true Slovenian bigs?
                            previously known as Beno

Comment

And you don't find interesting that Slovenia, with relatively big pool of players, had always problems with true Slovenian bigs?
                              You have a problem now. But early XXI century you had a surplus of really good bigs: Nesterovic, Brezec, Slokar, Lorbek... They never seemed to be available for the NT, but you can't deny you were producing them.

Comment

You have a problem now. But early XXI century you had a surplus of really good bigs: Nesterovic, Brezec, Slokar, Lorbek... They never seemed to be available for the NT, but you can't deny you were producing them.
                                No one new in last 15 years tells the whole story.
                                previously known as Beno

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information