Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 228

Thread: NT Naturalizations

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    299
    Country: Germany

    Thumbs down NT Naturalizations

    Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    We are leading just because this good and very underated guy Osmani. And he is still just 24y
    What is the deal with this guy? Is he like Ermal Kuqo "Kurtoglu", or did he emigrate to Turkey as a kid at least?

    I guess when he is 35 and you don't need him anymore, FIBA will let him play for Albania, the joke organisation that they are...

  2. #2
    Senior Member janketa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridirkulous View Post
    What is the deal with this guy? Is he like Ermal Kuqo "Kurtoglu", or did he emigrate to Turkey as a kid at least?

    I guess when he is 35 and you don't need him anymore, FIBA will let him play for Albania, the joke organisation that they are...
    As I know he is here from young age, there was post here about him from Furkan if I remember.

  3. #3
    Senior Member vivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,582
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridirkulous View Post
    What is the deal with this guy? Is he like Ermal Kuqo "Kurtoglu", or did he emigrate to Turkey as a kid at least?

    I guess when he is 35 and you don't need him anymore, FIBA will let him play for Albania, the joke organisation that they are...
    He was born in Albania, Wiki tells me he started basketball in 2013 in Turkey (Bandirma)
    Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
    Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
    Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
    Şampiyonluk gelince

  4. #4
    Senior Member Furkan Korkmaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    522
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridirkulous View Post
    What is the deal with this guy? Is he like Ermal Kuqo "Kurtoglu", or did he emigrate to Turkey as a kid at least?

    I guess when he is 35 and you don't need him anymore, FIBA will let him play for Albania, the joke organisation that they are...
    He has been playing for Banvit (their youth team) since age 15-16... I dont know what age he moved exactly but definitely as kid and a product of Turkish BB. However, regardless of age, many Balkan muslims have identity relating them to Turkey due to Ottoman heritage. Even the founder of the state was from the Balkans...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5,204
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    As a Bandirma fan I have to explain it I suppose. Osmani came with 13 year old to Turkey. He never played for Albania. He tried it with Efes, didnt make it and went to Bandirma.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    299
    Country: Germany

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
    He has been playing for Banvit (their youth team) since age 15-16... I dont know what age he moved exactly but definitely as kid and a product of Turkish BB. However, regardless of age, many Balkan muslims have identity relating them to Turkey due to Ottoman heritage. Even the founder of the state was from the Balkans...
    I guess I will leave that statement there unanswered since it's a sports forum, despite my Albanian heritage telling me different stories...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Furkan Korkmaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    522
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridirkulous View Post
    I guess I will leave that statement there unanswered since it's a sports forum, despite my Albanian heritage telling me different stories...
    I didnt say all Balkan muslims, they are a minority and most of them prefer playing for Turkey for a reason, and the majority even moved to Turkey and is living here. In your case you are of a regular Albanian background with a different stance... that’s fine, but you don’t represent the diversity of backgrounds and beliefs in your country by yourself. There’s even Orthodox Albanians many of whom are hostile to Turkey.

  8. #8
    Administrator Levenspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hungary & Scotland
    Posts
    8,124
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
    He has been playing for Banvit (their youth team) since age 15-16... I dont know what age he moved exactly but definitely as kid and a product of Turkish BB. However, regardless of age, many Balkan muslims have identity relating them to Turkey due to Ottoman heritage. Even the founder of the state was from the Balkans...
    No need to discuss much on neo-ottomanist myths. Osmani's move was like that of Peskanovic's, Spahi's, Kuqo's, or Ibaka's or Mirotic's, etc., same story.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    299
    Country: Germany

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
    I didnt say all Balkan muslims, they are a minority and most of them prefer playing for Turkey for a reason, and the majority even moved to Turkey and is living here. In your case you are of a regular Albanian background with a different stance... that’s fine, but you don’t represent the diversity of backgrounds and beliefs in your country by yourself. There’s even Orthodox Albanians many of whom are hostile to Turkey.
    Yeah, yeah, whatever. I guess I am removed enough from my heritage to not care about these nuances in any case.

    Back to basketball, Bosnia is playing great today too.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Furkan Korkmaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    522
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    No need to discuss much on neo-ottomanist myths. Osmani's move was like that of Peskanovic's, Spahi's, Kuqo's, or Ibaka's or Mirotic's, etc., same story.
    It’s not a myth if you heard it out of their own mouths. Comparing Mirotic to Osmani is ridiculous. The proof is in the pudding they say, you just have to bother to look or listen.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Furkan Korkmaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    522
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridirkulous View Post
    Yeah, yeah, whatever. I guess I am removed enough from my heritage to not care about these nuances in any case.

    Back to basketball, Bosnia is playing great today too.
    Yes and either way it doesn’t matter the fact is he was raised in Turkey and plays for Turkey by his own choice (even though his chances to be called up are much slimmer, he wasn’t even on the roster prior to Yurtseven calling off.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    299
    Country: Germany

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
    It’s not a myth if you heard it out of their own mouths. Comparing Mirotic to Osmani is ridiculous. The proof is in the pudding they say, you just have to bother to look or listen.
    I think also Niko Mirotic's connection with Spain is very real and tangible. I think putting religion in is tricky.

    If Luka Doncic had decided to play for Spain, that would be acceptable too. A bit unfair to Slovenia, but personally acceptable.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5,204
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Osmani got his BB education in Turkey and he decided to play for Turkey. Period.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Furkan Korkmaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    522
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridirkulous View Post
    I think also Niko Mirotic's connection with Spain is very real and tangible. I think putting religion in is tricky.

    If Luka Doncic decided to play for Spain, that would be acceptable too. A bit unfair to Slovenia, but personally acceptable.
    It depends what the angle of approach is, strictly focusing on them being born in country X but raised (also in terms of basketball) in country Y, yes, but I was more aiming for the historic connection that has shown communities in the Balkans associate themselves and even assimilate within modern Turkish society, due to historic dynamics.

  15. #15
    Administrator Levenspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hungary & Scotland
    Posts
    8,124
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
    It’s not a myth if you heard it out of their own mouths. Comparing Mirotic to Osmani is ridiculous. The proof is in the pudding they say, you just have to bother to look or listen.
    We discussed this topic too many times. I welcome all Balkan immigrants, for humanitarian or even economical reasons. They have enriched our nation for centuries.

    But, what's happening in basketball is different. It is probably easier to convince muslims, but we have been doing the same trick with Serbians (Dusan Cantekin, etc), Russians (Valentin Pastal and his brother, Selim Saygın etc), and even with Nigerians now with Bona. That's why it is similar to Mirotic case. This mindset is problematic. Anyway, I am in a tiny minority in this case.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

  16. #16
    Senior Member R1ou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,348
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Osmani got his BB education in Turkey and he decided to play for Turkey. Period.
    Sure he did, but he moved to Turkey around the same age Mirotic did to Spain as well. However the latter is playing as a naturalised player for Spain but Turkey are having both him and Larkin in the squad, like they did in the past with Dixon and Sipahi.
    1997 - 2012 - 2013

  17. #17
    Senior Member Furkan Korkmaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    522
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R1ou View Post
    Sure he did, but he moved to Turkey around the same age Mirotic did to Spain as well. However the latter is playing as a naturalised player for Spain but Turkey are having both him and Larkin in the squad, like they did in the past with Dixon and Sipahi.
    Are we still going to have this conversation? He moved to Turkey before Calathes and Dorsey moved to Greece though, and he has his citizenship before Giannis and Thanasis had theirs. So.... you can say Mirotic all you want but the real elephant in the room is much closer to you than you’d want to admit ; ).

  18. #18
    Senior Member fasoulaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,987
    Country: Germany

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
    Are we still going to have this conversation? He moved to Turkey before Calathes and Dorsey moved to Greece though, and he has his citizenship before Giannis and Thanasis had theirs. So.... you can say Mirotic all you want but the real elephant in the room is much closer to you than you’d want to admit ; ).
    Calling Larkin an elephant is not really kind of you. He sacrifices his summer for your NT and does not even get one Euro or Dollar or Lira for that.
    You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Furkan Korkmaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    522
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fasoulaki View Post
    Calling Larkin an elephant is not really kind of you. He sacrifices his summer for your NT and does not even get one Euro or Dollar or Lira for that.
    Haha, no, Larkin is my guy, our 1 naturalized player all in compliance with Fiba regulations, like 50 other federations have as well. I am okay with you having 1 too, but when I watched you versus Serbia in crunchtime there was literally only 1 real Greek (and product of Greek BB, which Giannis for example isn’t) out of the 5 players on court. A little extreme to cry about a substitute player named Osmani when that’s how your NT is built, right?

  20. #20
    Senior Member fasoulaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,987
    Country: Germany

    Default

    Its not our fault. Greek basketball is so cool that half the world pretend to be greek to have a chance to play in our national team. Even Josh Oppenheimer assitant coach of the Bucks pretends to be greek nowadays. Unbelievable.

    You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •