Greek National Team 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
    Well, I am a software developer and work just 60h per month since my salary is still enough and I work mostly at home I have enough time for basketball.
    How much is really "Enough time for basketball" for a hoops addict like yourself?

Comment

So considering they most likely will make it to the WC next year, Itoudis in a recent interview said that he personally asked the players (I suppose the most important of the squad) if they are willing to participate next year and didn't receive any negative answers, Calathes also is rumoured to be a lock until 2024 etc.

Regarding the roster I'd change Agravanis in a heartbeat with someone like Mitoglou (ideally) but since there's nothing about his punishment yet I'd consider taking Tsalmpouris who's started the season with Betis and seems to be doing quite good so far. Koufos is also active this season in Eurocup with London Lions and Itoudis had him in CSKA previously, he'd be a good solution considering Papagiannis is soft and heartless and times and K. Antetokounmpo quite raw.

At forwards I think Thanasis being more or less inactive has had a big impact on him, looked completely lost this year and it was possibly his worst NT summer. Rogkavopoulos would provide more scoring although we'd lack athletisicm if neither him nor his brother Kostas make the final roster. Looking forward to Charalampopoulos' season in Italy as well, plenty of options there.

At guards Dorsey should be the biggest questionmark although needs to be said that Naz Mitrou-Long is willing to play for the team in a case similar of Ignas Brazdeikis as Canada would have to agree on im withdrawing his Canadian passport. Would like to have someone of Kalaitzakis bros there if they'd have a good season, also looking forward to see if Moraitis is going to have a good season for Peristeri with Spanoulis on the bench.
      1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by R1ou View Post
        So considering they most likely will make it to the WC next year, Itoudis in a recent interview said that he personally asked the players (I suppose the most important of the squad) if they are willing to participate next year and didn't receive any negative answers, Calathes also is rumoured to be a lock until 2024 etc.

Regarding the roster I'd change Agravanis in a heartbeat with someone like Mitoglou (ideally) but since there's nothing about his punishment yet I'd consider taking Tsalmpouris who's started the season with Betis and seems to be doing quite good so far. Koufos is also active this season in Eurocup with London Lions and Itoudis had him in CSKA previously, he'd be a good solution considering Papagiannis is soft and heartless and times and K. Antetokounmpo quite raw.

At forwards I think Thanasis being more or less inactive has had a big impact on him, looked completely lost this year and it was possibly his worst NT summer. Rogkavopoulos would provide more scoring although we'd lack athletisicm if neither him nor his brother Kostas make the final roster. Looking forward to Charalampopoulos' season in Italy as well, plenty of options there.

At guards Dorsey should be the biggest questionmark although needs to be said that Naz Mitrou-Long is willing to play for the team in a case similar of Ignas Brazdeikis as Canada would have to agree on im withdrawing his Canadian passport. Would like to have someone of Kalaitzakis bros there if they'd have a good season, also looking forward to see if Moraitis is going to have a good season for Peristeri with Spanoulis on the bench.
        Completely false analysis. Greece had the strongest line up this year, absent Mitoglou. The only change next year can come from a possible good season of the Kalaitzakis brothers. Thanassis surely lost some form, but he was key in several games. He would be wise to go back to Europe and play good minutes. You're only young once. Koufos is history. Mitrou-long is not at the desired level. Rogkavopoulos is not even in the discussion at the moment. He has to make leaps to be part of this team. Perhaps after the Olympics.
        PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
          Completely false analysis. Greece had the strongest line up this year, absent Mitoglou. The only change next year can come from a possible good season of the Kalaitzakis brothers. Thanassis surely lost some form, but he was key in several games. He would be wise to go back to Europe and play good minutes. You're only young once. Koufos is history. Mitrou-long is not at the desired level. Rogkavopoulos is not even in the discussion at the moment. He has to make leaps to be part of this team. Perhaps after the Olympics.
          That's not even close to a strong line up when you have 3-4 unplayable guys in the roster. Thanasis provides nothing in the offensive end and makes silly fouls, Agravanis is a hot head and not someone you can trust, Rogkavopoulos will be far better player than him by the end of this year.

And yeah Koufos posting 14 and 10 in eurocup is still better than having Kostas Ante being unable to match up any real center out there. Unless you are happy of watching him dunking in the likes of Estonia and GB, Koufos would be a much better fit since he would actually help with both scoring and rebounding.

Mitrou-Long is actually a EL level player at the moment not sure what's the desired level by your standards.
          1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

So not the same issue with Brazdeikis and Mitrou-Long. Brazdeikis's issue was two-fold. He played for Canada after age 17 and thus needed to be released by Canada Basketball - this happened quickly and was not a problem. He also had to wait until Lithuania had a special change to their laws to allow him to hold both a Lithuanian and Canadian citizenship at the same time as he wasn't willing to give up his Canadian citizenship/passport. My understanding is this is what caused a couple year delay.

Mitrou-Long has never played for Canada in youth or senior competitons and is not tied to Canada Basketball. He is essentially a "Free Agent" and can play for Canada or Greece (he has stated he intends to play for Greece). However he has not yet recieved Greek citizenship. The last interview I saw is that it is expected by the end of this year - but it has been a multi year process. I don't know why it has taken so long (perhaps someone here can tell us) - perhaps he could not prove a right to Greek citizenship for some time? I am pretty sure he can hold both Greek and Canadian citizenship at the same time (correct me if wrong on Greece, but I know Canadians can be dual citizens) - so that doesnt seem the problem.

Both Mitrou-Long and Dorsey would be natuaralized players for Greece per FIBA rules, thus you can have only one per roster.

Who would you rather have at this stage?

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
              So not the same issue with Brazdeikis and Mitrou-Long. Brazdeikis's issue was two-fold. He played for Canada after age 17 and thus needed to be released by Canada Basketball - this happened quickly and was not a problem. He also had to wait until Lithuania had a special change to their laws to allow him to hold both a Lithuanian and Canadian citizenship at the same time as he wasn't willing to give up his Canadian citizenship/passport. My understanding is this is what caused a couple year delay.

Mitrou-Long has never played for Canada in youth or senior competitons and is not tied to Canada Basketball. He is essentially a "Free Agent" and can play for Canada or Greece (he has stated he intends to play for Greece). However he has not yet recieved Greek citizenship. The last interview I saw is that it is expected by the end of this year - but it has been a multi year process. I don't know why it has taken so long (perhaps someone here can tell us) - perhaps he could not prove a right to Greek citizenship for some time? I am pretty sure he can hold both Greek and Canadian citizenship at the same time (correct me if wrong on Greece, but I know Canadians can be dual citizens) - so that doesnt seem the problem.

Both Mitrou-Long and Dorsey would be natuaralized players for Greece per FIBA rules, thus you can have only one per roster.

Dorsey is more useful but at the same time, too attached with his Nba dream that makes him unreliable and questionable every year.
              1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Calathes,mitrou long,Dorsey all together?Special rules for Greece as always

Comment

Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
                  Not really since these guys share a common ancestry, special rules would be something like naturalizing a Gregor Fucka or Jeff Brooks because we can't win anything.
                  1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

If i'm not wrong, both Dorsey and Mitrou-Long are considered to be naturalized -otherwise they should have had a greek passport by the age of 16, so only one if them can participate in the national team.

Comment

Not really since these guys share a common ancestry, special rules would be something like naturalizing a Gregor Fucka or Jeff Brooks because we can't win anything.
                      Next year italy greece in fiba woerld cp italy with di vicnenzo banchero and greece with mitrou long and dorsey come on guys show me how much you are worth

Greece won anithyn 20 years ago maybe ahahahahah

in 2004 we won an olympic medal without fuckla and brooks,show me how much you are worth,how long greece didn't join olympic games in basketball?

Only 2004 like host ahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by tonia View Post
                        If i'm not wrong, both Dorsey and Mitrou-Long are considered to be naturalized -otherwise they should have had a greek passport by the age of 16, so only one if them can participate in the national team.
                        I hope that you are right,but i'm not sure of that

Comment

Next year italy greece in fiba woerld cp italy with di vicnenzo banchero and greece with mitrou long and dorsey come on guys show me how much you are worth

Greece won anithyn 20 years ago maybe ahahahahah

in 2004 we won an olympic medal without fuckla and brooks,show me how much you are worth,how long greece didn't join olympic games in basketball?

Only 2004 like host ahahaha
                          Whether a player should or should not play in a national team, has nothing to do with his contribution to winning a medal with the team.
                          For the record, Greece was 2nd in World Championship 2006 and was 5th in olympic games 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by tonia View Post
                            Whether a player should or should not play in a national team, has nothing to do with his contribution to winning a medal with the team.
                            For the record, Greece was 2nd in World Championship 2006 and was 5th in olympic games 2008.
                            Looks like our buddy is on another dimension, makes sense if you ask me when the last time they won a medal was 18 years ago.
                            1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Looks like our buddy is on another dimension, makes sense if you ask me when the last time they won a medal was 18 years ago.
                              And our last medal was in 2009, also a long time ago.
                              I think we are missing the point here and this conversation would make our Spanish friends laugh at us...

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                                Dorsey did not convince me in the last tournament. He cannot dribble under pressure and in the crucial game he lost his shoot. On the other hand players seldom perform excellent in their very first FIBA mens tournament participation. Since we dont know what the future will bring, e.g. if Dorsey will be available for the NT next summer due to injury, contracts, etc., etc, , it is very good to have additional options for the naturalized player spot. Maybe Mitrou-Long might also be able and willing to play in one of the future FIBA windows for the WC qualification as soon he gets his passport.
                                You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information