Dimitris Moraitis
    Nikos Chougkaz
    Kostis Gontikas
    Ioannis Kouzeloglou
    Alex Antetokounmpo
    Lefteris Mantzoukas
    Omiros Netzipoglou
    Giorgios Tanoulis

What do you think about starting lineup and bench?

My hypothesis:

Starting lineup
    PG Dorsey
    SG Sloukas
    SF Papanikolaou
    PF Papapetrou
    C Giannis

Reserves
    PG Calathes
    PG/SG Lountzis, Larentzakis
    PG/SG/SF Kalaitzakis
    SF Thanasis
    PF Kostas, Agravanis
    C Papagiannis

Originally posted by JABroy View Post
    Hi,
    DIMITRIS ITOUDIS will be the head coach for eurobasket 2022,
    and GIANNIS will participate.

This is the 23 preliminary team:
    Nick Calathes
    Kostas Papanikolaou
    Kostas Sloukas
    Giannis Antetokounmpo
    Georgios Papagiannis
    Thanasis Antetokounmpo
    Ioannis Papapetrou
    Giannoulis Larentzakis
    Dimitris Agravanis
    Leonidas Kaselakis
    Lefteris Bochoridis
    Kostas Antetokounmpo
    Michalis Lountzis
    Tyler Dorsey
    Panagiotis Kalaitzakis
    Dimitris Moraitis
    Nikos Chougkaz
    Kostis Gontikas
    Ioannis Kouzeloglou
    Alex Antetokounmpo
    Lefteris Mantzoukas
    Omiros Netzipoglou
    Giorgios Tanoulis

What do you think about starting lineup and bench?

My hypothesis:

Starting lineup
    PG Dorsey
    SG Sloukas
    SF Papanikolaou
    PF Papapetrou
    C Giannis

Reserves
    PG Calathes
    PG/SG Lountzis, Larentzakis
    PG/SG/SF Kalaitzakis
    SF Thanasis
    PF Kostas, Agravanis
    C Papagiannis
    I had some infollution about this Omiros Netzipoglou. The federation official told me that Omiros Netzipoglou is actually Turkish during U-20 tournament this summer. And said his actual name is Omer Necipoglu. But, I couldn't find any Greek source that verifies this claim.

Any Greek friends know something about his roots?

He is from Thessaloniki just like my grandparents. A bonus for having sympathy towards this guy. I have been there twice, even visited the village of my grandparents in Kozani who migrated from there in 1939.
    Last edited by slice me nice; 08-02-2022, 01:31 PM.
    Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
    Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

Originally posted by slice me nice View Post
      I had some infollution about this Omiros Netzipoglou. The federation official told me that Omiros Netzipoglou is actually Turkish during U-20 tournament this summer. And said his actual name is Omer Necipoglu. But, I couldn't find any Greek source that verifies this claim.

Any Greek friends know something about his roots?

He is from Thessaloniki just like my grandparents. A bonus for having sympathy towards this guy. I have been there twice, even visited the village of my grandparents in Kozani who migrated from there in 1939.
      There is not much info about him. All I could find that his roots are from Asia Minor. You would call people like him, Rum.
      PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
        There is not much info about him. All I could find that his roots are from Asia Minor. You would call people like him, Rum.
        Hmm. FIBA listed him as Omer Netzipoglou in official tournament page, not Omiros though. That is too strange to see a Rum with Turkish name if his roots are really from Anatolia. Both his name and surname are so Turkish, I really wonder what is the real case here.
        Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
        Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

Hmm. FIBA listed him as Omer Netzipoglou in official tournament page, not Omiros though. That is too strange to see a Rum with Turkish name if his roots are really from Anatolia. Both his name and surname are so Turkish, I really wonder what is the real case here.
          I read in another forum that he is a pomak.
          1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

I agree with you and R1ou that Omer as a first name would indicate that he is either Pomak or Turkish. I also found the name Omer Netzipoglou in a Greek article. So the FIBA site is correct.
            PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Nikos Papadogiannis from Gazzetta says that Eurobasket 2022 was the last opportunity for Greece to win something because when Sloukas, Papanikolaou and Calathes will retire, we will not have enough new player material of high standard to replace them. How do you judge this statement? I fear that he might be right. European basketball is improving a lot while greek basketball is moving in a declining direction. I fear that the change in the federation lead came 5-10 years too late. Sending the NT without coach or Missas or Skortopoulos to tournaments was a crime. Now a high level of professionalism returned to the federation but it might be too late.
              You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fasoulaki View Post
                Nikos Papadogiannis from Gazzetta says that Eurobasket 2022 was the last opportunity for Greece to win something because when Sloukas, Papanikolaou and Calathes will retire, we will not have enough new player material of high standard to replace them. How do you judge this statement? I fear that he might be right. European basketball is improving a lot while greek basketball is moving in a declining direction. I fear that the change in the federation lead came 5-10 years too late. Sending the NT without coach or Missas or Skortopoulos to tournaments was a crime. Now a high level of professionalism returned to the federation but it might be too late.
                I think you can replace Papanikoloaou very easily but Calathes and Sloukas are not replaceable and this is what I have been claiming for a certain time. I saw this Eurobasket as the last time window to win something. I mean both will be playing next year in the world cup but they wont be younger so you need Giannis to participate to be competitive in the next tournaments.

Comment

I said the same as Papadogiannis before the European Championship. That was the last chance to win a title for a long time. Unless the federation changes the policy and will also deal with naturalizations of players in the future.

In my opinion, there are two points that directly damaged Greek basketball. On the one hand, the financial crisis and the associated significantly reduced funds that flowed into the sport and, on the other hand, the change in the size of the playing field in 2010, which has focused the sport much more on the athletic attribute and less on defense and basketball IQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Butler View Post
                    On the one hand, the financial crisis and the associated significantly reduced funds that flowed into the sport and, on the other hand, the change in the size of the playing field in 2010, which has focused the sport much more on the athletic attribute and less on defense and basketball IQ.
                    I agree with both points. But even you should admit that the attitude "We have players we dont need a coach" was wrong. It was a lack of professionalism. I guess it was not the only area were the federation lacked profesionalism. So what I want to point out is that some of the 2005 players came out of nowhere. For example Chatzivrettas and Dikoudis had very little success with their youth national team. In addition I think Papaloukas was not part of any youth national team. Maybe some players will show up and rise in future too.

What about Vasilis Charalapopoulos it seems he has improved his game playing in Italy.

Carlos Delfino, by the way, just won the AmeriCup 2022 at a crisp 40 years old with Argentina against Brazil in the final. Delfino played an average of 16 minutes in the tournament, scoring 5.2 points on average with a fantastic 3-point percentage of 46%. He kicked out Greece from the Olympic tournament 2008 and he is still around winniing tournaments.
                    Last edited by fasoulaki; 09-14-2022, 01:12 PM.

Comment

What do you think about the Kalaitzakis brothers Panos and Georgios? They are quite tall for PGs!

Comment

Originally posted by fasoulaki View Post
                        What do you think about the Kalaitzakis brothers Panos and Georgios? They are quite tall for PGs!
                        They are no PGs. A secondary ball handler in the best case. Panagiotis did a better job planning his career. Giorgios lost too many time to chase after his NBA dream. Panagiotis is the better player right now. Both look like they are finisher. In order to secure the ball Giorgios was always turning to his back and couldnt see much. No pick and roll upside for higher levels either. Ball control is ok for wings but not PG. Shortly said they are no PG.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                          They are no PGs. A secondary ball handler in the best case. Panagiotis did a better job planning his career. Giorgios lost too many time to chase after his NBA dream. Panagiotis is the better player right now. Both look like they are finisher. In order to secure the ball Giorgios was always turning to his back and couldnt see much. No pick and roll upside for higher levels either. Ball control is ok for wings but not PG. Shortly said they are no PG.
                          You know much about greek players. How come? I was so absorbed by work since the beginning of the pandemia that I did not even notice that Printezis retired.
                          What about their defensiv skills?

Comment

You know much about greek players. How come?
                            Its not that I am a Kalaitzakis bro expert. Watched some games here and there. The reason is my interest in youth development I guess and some countries like Greece and Lithuania and some others draw my special interest.

I was so absorbed by work since the beginning of the pandemia that I did not even notice that Printezis retired.
                            Well, I am a software developer and work just 60h per month since my salary is still enough and I work mostly at home I have enough time for basketball.

What about their defensiv skills?
                            Both are solid defenders at least as far as I could observe.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                              Well, I am a software developer and work just 60h per month since my salary is still enough and I work mostly at home I have enough time for basketball.
                              lucky you! I am in academia/research. I could work 24x7 and still would not finish my work. Maybe I will manage to watch the WC qualification games in November though.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information