Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euroleague Power Rankings 2022-23

Brief thoughts on what every team has done

Berlin -- Seems like they're going to have roughly the same team as last year minus De Silva while adding Procida as a wing creator with potential. Probably not a playoff team but probably not bottom four, either.

Efes -- Clyburn is great, but it's just not going to be easy to replace Micic if/when he goes. Even if he's somewhat inconsistent game-to-game, team defenses plan for Micic in a way they just don't for Clyburn. Zizic is a good add at center. There'll be a lot more offensive pressure on Larkin, and they'll go as far as he takes them. F4 contender but not the favorite for a 3peat without Micic imo.

Monaco -- what is this team's budget?? James, Okobo, and Lloyd are all three guys who are going to want the ball. John Brown is a great add to replace Bacon. Donta' Hall is probably my favorite young center in EL. But whether this team is a F4 contender or a complete abject disaster depends on how those guards will gel. "Highest-variance" team to project for next year imo.

Baskonia -- Markus Howard is a stud. Bigger, not quite as athletic version of Wilbekin. He'll probably average 15+ points on this roster even as a rookie. I think this roster has enough to generally avoid the bottom again with Giedraitis, Fontecchio, Enoch, and Costello -- if they add a true point guard to go with Howard.

Zvezda -- looking like one of the weakest rosters in the league right now to me. I'm not sure how smart bringing in Nedovic as their one expensive guard was. Their backcourt is pretty much just Nedovic and Dobric right now, which seems like recipe for disaster. I know that this club always finds a way to be tougher than you'd expect but this current roster looks rough.

Milan -- I don't think it's a secret that this team was a guard or two away from being a real Final Four team last year. I don't think switching out Chacho and banged-up Delaney for Naz and Baron really moves the needle too much -- they still could really benefit from adding Pangos. This is a playoff team either way, but a true PG still seems like the missing piece.

Barca -- what is there really to say? Switching out Calathes for Satoranksy and Davies for Vesely show that this club can build its roster pretty much however it wants. Saras will really be asked some tough questions if this team flames out in the playoffs again.

Bayern -- not much has changed with this roster. They could probably use one more guard scorer but they'll still be just a pesky, defense-first team that is hovering around 8th for most of the season. Lucic is great and Hunter seems to be immortal as a tough interior defender.

Fener -- With Calathes and Bjelica supposedly coming, I think this is a really solid roster. It's basically an entirely new roster from last year with just Guduric and Pierre returning, but Itoudis is a veteran coach who should find a rotation that works. One of the more interesting rosters for next year and I'm sure there'll be disagreement here -- some will say F4, some will say no playoffs.

Asvel -- interesting team. Nando is great, and their two guard additions are interesting -- Jackson-Cartwright is a true PG despite his size, and Obasohan is a big-time athlete at guard. If this team stays healthy it could be a sleeper possible playoff team even if there's little chance of a championship despite TJ Parker's hopes.

Maccabi -- I've talked about this one, but another one of the more divisive rosters, probably. They literally did not retain a non-Israeli from last year's roster. I like the individual pieces here, but it's hard to see how some of them will fit together (Brown and Baldwin will be the worst shooting guard duo in the league). Personally, I'd bet on this team finishing around 12th.

Oly -- not much has changed, which is good. Canaan isn't as big as Dorsey which could provide some challenges defensively but they'll probably make it work. They should be a playoff team again imo, although whether they have the ceiling to truly take the next step is in question.

Pao -- probably the most improved team in the league. I think we all saw last year that Sant-Roos/Macon/Nedovic/Perry as a guard unit was not going to get it done. Wolters/Lee/Grigonis/Andrews is a much better and more stable group. This team should be somewhere between 7th and 11th imo.

Partizan -- a lot of money, no guards.

Real -- another team that doesn't need to make any real changes. I'm sure they'd love to have another guard and hope Campazzo comes back eventually but either way this club knows what it's doing. Big question is how they carry on without Laso.

Valencia -- Jones is a fun addition, and they generally keep the same roster from year-to-year with Prepelic, Van Rossom, etc. Probably not the worst team in EL but not a playoff team, either.

Virtus -- another team that obviously has a lot of money to throw around. But this roster is old. Whether Teo, Belinelli, etc. will be ready for the increased speed of EL remains to be seen. I'd bet on these guys missing the playoffs.

Zalgiris -- Evans is a good add. I don't see the quality to help this group rise from the bottom, though.

My early power rankings would be

1. Barca
    2. Real
    3. Oly
    4. Efes
    5. Milan
    6. Fener
    7. Monaco
    8. Bayern
    9. Pao
    10. Asvel
    11. Virtus
    12. Maccabi
    13. Baskonia
    14. Berlin
    15. Partizan
    16. Valencia
    17. Zvezda
    18. Zalgiris

Here's my early shot;

1st-2nd: Efes, Barca
    3rd-6th: Monaco, Milan, Real, Oly
    7th-10th: Virtus, Partizan, Fener, Bayern
    11th-13th: Pao, Maccabi, Valencia
    14th-18th: Czv, Baskonia, Alba, Asvel, Zalgiris.

Comment

1 Barca - By far the deepest roster without weak spots
      2 Efes - 3 of top5 EL players, but rest of the roster is below Barca's level. Very weak PF position after Singleton departure. M'Baye is too old, Polonara too nothing
      3 Real - I thought maybe to put them on 2nd place. They are stronger then last season. Chacho is still hell of the player. The best centers in EL
      4 Virtus - Teo
      5 Milan - Only if Pangos come
      6 Oly - 4th last season but two Italian teams did big market moves and I had to put them higher
      7 Asvel - This is pure instict based that De Colo will finaly have the opportunity to play with quality guys after disaster with the kokoskov's boys
      8 Fener - too many questions about roster, so I don't know what to expect. This season will be wasted imo and I consider as preparation for the next

9-18 I realy don't have a clue, very close budgets(except Monaco) and differences depend from point of view

One or two teams will probably make PO

Monaco(though I don't like their roster) is favorite of course, Partizan and Zvezda are still mistery because they are on half of creating rosters and they have money, PAO did great job(except Williams)

Comment

I'm skeptical of the Asvel quote, janketa. I highlighted Asvel as a sleeper myself because I like their guard additions outside of de Colo but no EL exec is taking Obasohan, Jackson-Cartwright, and Fall over Guduric, Henry, and Vesely. de Colo isn't walking into a stronger roster and a reality of Fener's failure last season was that de Colo's injuries were a big part of it.

Comment

I'd probably update my rankings to be

1. Efes -- Micic staying is a huge deal and they're the favorite in a Final Four setting
          2. Real
          3. Barca -- Mirotic's injury is another huge deal. They lack scoring punch compared to Efes and Real if he's out long-term.
          4. Oly
          5. Milan
          6. Fener -- assuming Calathes and Bjelica get announced eventually
          7. Virtus -- I am warming up on their roster, even though, again, old.
          8. Monaco
          9. Bayern
          10. Pao
          11. Maccabi
          12. Baskonia -- warming up on them. Howard + Darius Thompson will be the best two rookie EL guards this year.
          13. Asvel
          14. Partizan
          15. Berlin
          16. Zalgiris -- Brazdeikis is a big add.
          17. Valencia
          18. Zvezda -- this roster seems incomplete and it seems unfair to judge them, but again Nedovic seems like a really poor decision for a club that can only spend on a few guys

Comment

Originally posted by GatorsGators View Post

3. Barca -- Mirotic's injury is another huge deal. They lack scoring punch compared to Efes and Real if he's out long-term.
            Barca denied info about 6 months pause, probaly a few weeks during summer. And Barca is so deep that they are not dependent of any player. Like Efes for instance

18. Zvezda -- this roster seems incomplete and it seems unfair to judge them, but again Nedovic seems like a really poor decision for a club that can only spend on a few guys
            Zvezda isn't poor club, because they are supported by state, their budget at the end will be around 10 milions

Comment

Originally posted by GatorsGators View Post
              I'm skeptical of the Asvel quote, janketa. I highlighted Asvel as a sleeper myself because I like their guard additions outside of de Colo but no EL exec is taking Obasohan, Jackson-Cartwright, and Fall over Guduric, Henry, and Vesely. de Colo isn't walking into a stronger roster and a reality of Fener's failure last season was that de Colo's injuries were a big part of it.
              I said it's based on pure instict not budget or roster quality. Asvel guys are better fit for De Colo then kokoskov boys

Comment

Originally posted by janketa View Post
                Barca denied info about 6 months pause, probaly a few weeks during summer. And Barca is so deep that they are not dependent of any player. Like Efes for instance
                Fair enough about their denial of the news. If Mirotic is out, though, it is a huge deal. His absence would change defensive gameplans against Barca.

Zvezda isn't poor club, because they are supported by state, their budget at the end will be around 10 milions
                "Poor" is relative. They announced last week that they'd be increasing their budget to about 12 million, but that's still bottom-third in EL. That budget is half of what Fener can spend and less than a third of what Barca and Real can spend. So they have to really consider whether the guys they're paying 1 mil or more are worth that -- Nedovic just doesn't seem like a smart investment to me

Comment

Everytime when Efes started underrated to the season they got the trophy.

Comment

1. Efes
                    2. Barca (espacially vesely factor )
                    3. Real
                    4. Fener
                    5. Milano
                    6.Oly
                    7.Partizan
                    8.Monaco
                    9.Virtus
                    10.Maccabi
                    11.Bayern
                    12.Asvel
                    13.Zvezda
                    14.Baskonia
                    15.Pao
                    16.Berlin
                    17.Valencia
                    18.Zalgiris

Comment

1. Real Madrid
                      2. Efes
                      3. Barcelona
                      4. Armani
                      5. Monaco
                      6. Olympiakos
                      7. Fener
                      8. Panathinaikos
                      9. Virtus
                      10. Maccabi
                      11. Bayern
                      12. Baskonia
                      13. Valencia
                      14. Alba
                      15. Partizan
                      16. Zalgiris
                      17. Red star
                      18. Zalgiris
                      Sasa Pukl for MVP

Comment

Originally posted by saras View Post
                        1. Real Madrid
                        2. Efes
                        3. Barcelona
                        4. Armani
                        5. Monaco
                        6. Olympiakos
                        7. Fener
                        8. Panathinaikos
                        9. Virtus
                        10. Maccabi
                        11. Bayern
                        12. Baskonia
                        13. Valencia
                        14. Alba
                        15. Partizan
                        16. Zalgiris
                        17. Red star
                        18. Zalgiris
                        Asvel?

Comment

Fontecchio just signed with Utah. Hard hit for Baskonia.
                          Originally posted by FIBA Europe Basket
                          You are a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by zubitos View Post
                            Asvel?
                            Either 16 or 18
                            EUROLEAGUEADDICTED

Comment

Maybe I should participate in a premature power-ranking as well.

1. Efes - As if being the title holder while maintaining the important players was not enough, Efes has also bested the competition by signing the second best player of the Euroleague, when the best was already in Efes. On top of that, Ataman has full control over the locker-room, the team is mentally hardy and knows how to bounce back up from their lows. Year after year Ataman has gotten his competion running to their bank accounts trying to overpower this special group of guys. So far it has all failed, and I think it just might fail one more time.

2. Barcelona - I really don’t know if buying an over his prime, injury prone, and ghost of important matches like Vesely will be enough for them, I actually think it’s going to come back to haunt them as a bad decision, also Kalinic... what is Saras trying to do? Imitate the Fenerbahce of 5 years ago? What’s next? Sloukas? Please lol. Kalinic was great for a bottom team like Zvezda but to expect him to have much impact in such a competitive roster is based on my experience with Kalinic at Fener, too optimistic. I want to put them lower but Satoransky saves the day for them.

3. Madrid - Great but aging team... They are really seasoned but somewhat in a retirement-home kind of way. Bringing back Rodriguez isn’t exactly helping bring down their average age either. I don’t think losing Laso, while he was the finalist of previous season and the Spanish league title holder, will do any good for them. I think this 3rd spot could be easily attacked by other teams I will place lower for the time being.

4. Milan - Already quite a good team, even last season, but were haunted by injuries. Now they also have great signings, they seem to make many right moves, they are a dark horse for the title.

5. Fenerbahce - Losing salary slurpers like Vesely and Nando might seem bad at first but quite frankly they haven’t made the team any more competitive, I mean Nando turned 37.... With Bjelica and Wilbekin I think this money is already put to good use, I do need 1 more power signing though, please god let it not be Calathes, then Fenerbahce will be at most stuck here at 5, if it’s something more impressive it will be a candidate to attack Madrids third place.

6. Virtus Bologna - I wanted Mickey for Fenerbahce, too bad this money team got him, but with it they earn a spot in my top 8 : p. You can tell the owners want to make Bologna great again really badly, and so far it seems to be working, might be the surprise of the season.

7. Olympiacos - for me the surprise F4 participant of last season, and could have secured continuation of staying there but so far probably has one of the least underwhelming transfer window. Alec Peters will not get you there. This is as high as I can place them.

8. Monaco - this spot is really up for grabs, and contended by many teams, I had a harder time giving it to one of the teams, but I’ll go with Monaco, because I do think they have some decent signings plus they missed last F4 only by a small margin.

—— take these rankings below loosely ——

9. Bayern - They have been fairly decent these past 2 years, but falling short to really impress. I do think they could be in the playoffs again, but this time there will be better competition.

10. Panathinaikos - One of the most underwhelming teams of last season but definitely a great improvement compared to that already, decent signings, not A quality but enough to attack Monaco on my lisy for that 8th place, especially with their strong homegame tradition.

11. Partizan - I was already convinced the era of Obradovic was over during his last season at Fenerbahce, and his stint with Partizan has definitely NOT helped him try proving me wrong. This team has not qualified itself for the Eurocup through the conventional way, they also lost the Adriatic title, but they join us thanks to the war in Ukraine. I do think this promotion to the Euroleague may have come too soon, I watched a couple of their important Eurocup games and I was all but impressed, you need a strong fundament to build on to hop from Eurocup to the Euroleague and remain competitive, they totally miss this, but Obradovic does have a great deal of experience and they have a decent budget, putting them above some of the other teams. And ofcourse the crazy Partizan fanbase, whom have been longing for some Euroleague action for many years now, will push them to some hard fought wins in Pionir.

12. Asvel - Because of Nando. Not the most impressive of teams but I have respect for Nando, plus they have a tendency to hustle for 40 minutes.

13. Crvena Zvezda - If they kept Kalinic I’d put them higher, I think Kalinic can’t make a difference for Barcelona the way he did for Zvezda, he’s not a superstar or something, but he was definitely great for Zvezda standards.

14. Maccabi - I really don’t like Lorenzo Brown, and I never will.

15. Baskonia - underwhelming.

16. Valencia - underwhelming

17. Alba - underwhelming

18. Zalgiris - They had a nice thing going with Saras, and I think he’s better for a smaller scale team, he lacks the charisma to lead rosters that have bigger ego’s. Zalgiris has unfortunately become totally irrelevant ever since, they even failed to secure the Lithuanian league title for the first time in ages, and for that reason I put them last, but with a nice message rather than “underwhelming” : p.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information