View Poll Results: Is Wilbeking a good signing?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 61.54%
  • No

1 7.69%
  • Undecided

4 30.77%

Thread: Is Wilbekin a good signing for Fenerbahçe?

Default Is Wilbekin a good signing for Fenerbahçe?

FENERBAHÇE
    --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019, 2020 Turkish Basketball Cup Champion ---
    --- 1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022 Turkish Basketball League Champion ---
    --- 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

I think is not. Why ? Because, Fenerbahce in certain sense has this season problem of individual qualities, but more is produced with injuries than lack of quality of players in roster. Bigger problem has been in Fenerbahce lack of connection in play, Henry who is very good player, he has shown in final TBL, has been in opposite pace in regard to complete team, so his contribution missed.

Wilbekin is excellent scorer, who has falling a little bit. last two years maybe. But even if he would be in Fenerbahce similar like in Maccabi in his good periods, he is not creator. Wilbekin could be correct solution if there is one who is complementary to him, I think there are no players in Fenerbahce like that now. De Colo partially is, but if he own mostly creates play, it shows problem in creation and organization.

If Fenerbahce signs somebody like Baldwin for example, it changes situation, than could make various solutions on guard position between Wilbekin, Baldwin, De Colo, but it seems like they dont planning to sign some acquisition who would have similar minutes like Wilbekin. I dont know what will be with Henry, I suppose he wouldnt be next year, if he stays than signing of Wilbekin has a even less sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemanja95 View Post
    I think is not. Why ? Because, Fenerbahce in certain sense has this season problem of individual qualities, but more is produced with injuries than lack of quality of players in roster. Bigger problem has been in Fenerbahce lack of connection in play, Henry who is very good player, he has shown in final TBL, has been in opposite pace in regard to complete team, so his contribution missed.

Wilbekin is excellent scorer, who has falling a little bit. last two years maybe. But even if he would be in Fenerbahce similar like in Maccabi in his good periods, he is not creator. Wilbekin could be correct solution if there is one who is complementary to him, I think there are no players in Fenerbahce like that now. De Colo partially is, but if he own mostly creates play, it shows problem in creation and organization.

If Fenerbahce signs somebody like Baldwin for example, it changes situation, than could make various solutions on guard position between Wilbekin, Baldwin, De Colo, but it seems like they dont planning to sign some acquisition who would have similar minutes like Wilbekin. I dont know what will be with Henry, I suppose he wouldnt be next year, if he stays than signing of Wilbekin has a even less sense.
    I posted most of this in the rumors thread, but:

Fener does still need one guard in the mold of Calathes or even Wolters. Wilbekin and de Colo would be a weak first unit defensively, but I think they'd complement each other very well offensively actually. de Colo's creativity in passing would open up space for Wilbekin's shooting ability and vice versa. I think Pierre would probably be their first-unit SF for defense with Guduric coming off the bench to balance things out a bit. Then you could bring a guy like Calathes (or Wolters or someone else if Calathes is too expensive or is looking for a starring role, which he would certainly get in Pana) off the bench and pair him with Guduric in your second unit.

They also probably need another big depending on whether or not they're cutting bait with Polonara or Booker (sounds like Peters is probably going to replace Polonara?). I'd prefer one defensive center in addition to Jekiri as well.

Wilbekin/x/Akpinar
    de Colo/Guduric/Melih
    Pierre/Hazer/Birsen
    Motley/Peters/Geyik
    x/Jekiri/Booker

Depending on the guard and the big I think that's a roster that could compete for Final Four.

I voted neutral, but in this moment absolutely NO!

Pure role player not worth of buyout

Without buyout and as role player we could say it's good signing as backup for better then him, but problem is we don't have better after De Colo left. I hope next season Itoudis will do something about that
    Last edited by janketa; 09-29-2022 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    I voted neutral, but in this moment absolutely NO!

Pure role player not worth of buyout

Without buyout and as role player we could say it's good signing as backup for better then him, but problem is we don't have better after De Colo left. I hope next season Itoudis will do something about that
    Hahahaha, you're just ridiculous.

Wilbekin is a better all-around player than de Colo at this stage of their careers.

Efes did a great job of defending him in the Cup. Beaubois might be the best perimeter defender in Europe, and he's had Wilbekin's number the past few seasons. Fener does have to figure out how they're going to free Wilbekin when they play Efes.

But making this kind of statement based on a Cup game is ridiculous. When Wilbekin, Calathes, and Edwards get settled in and are used to playing with each other, this will be one of the best five or so backcourts in Euroleague.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorsGators View Post
    Hahahaha, you're just ridiculous.

Wilbekin is a better all-around player than de Colo at this stage of their careers.

Efes did a great job of defending him in the Cup. Beaubois might be the best perimeter defender in Europe, and he's had Wilbekin's number the past few seasons. Fener does have to figure out how they're going to free Wilbekin when they play Efes.

But making this kind of statement based on a Cup game is ridiculous. When Wilbekin, Calathes, and Edwards get settled in and are used to playing with each other, this will be one of the best five or so backcourts in Euroleague.
    Wilbekin indeed did a great job on the defensive end. He was never a bad defender but I didnt watch him very closely in the last 2 years and he is really a difference maker on the defensive end. Even Edwards who needs time to be effective in Europe did a good job defending (for his standards). With appropriate forwards a switch based defense is very effective.

But the defense of Efes was also not half bad. Especially the lineup with Micic, Beaubois, Bryant, Clyburn and Dunston.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Wilbekin indeed did a great job on the defensive end. He was never a bad defender but I didnt watch him very closely in the last 2 years and he is really a difference maker on the defensive end. Even Edwards who needs time to be effective in Europe did a good job defending (for his standards). With appropriate forwards a switch based defense is very effective.

But the defense of Efes was also not half bad. Especially the lineup with Micic, Beaubois, Bryant, Clyburn and Dunston.
    I meant that Efes did a great job of defending against Wilbekin's offense in the Cup. Basically, Beaubois has been the one guy who's really had Wilbekin's number over the past few seasons, and Calathes and Wilbekin struggled together in the Cup when Wilbekin couldn't get free because obviously Calathes is a black hole in terms of offensive spacing.

They looked a lot better on the court together against Bayern. They'll be a great pair against most EL teams, but they'll have to figure something out when they play Efes.

But, yes, Wilbekin is one of the best perimeter defenders in EL, and he's incredibly underrated on that end because his offense has been the focus and because Real really took advantage of Maccabi's switch-everything defense which led to a bunch of plays where Wilbekin was trying to defend Yabusele. He's too skinny to guard good forwards, but against guards, he's one of the best in Europe. He fights through screens, contests shots, and plays with physicality in important possessions. He's always been good defensively; it's just a matter of whether people are paying attention on that end.

As I reminded quite a few times in recent years, Wilbekin was very good defensive player in college...
    Yalla Maccabi!!!

Save English, ban macabeo....

@GatorsGators

So we payed milion buyout for defensive player, thank you for making my words true

I thought he is here to be difference maker in offense but ok my mistake. Oviously this team isn't Dacka and this is not Eurocup.

You are so biased about your favorite player, so I understand your feelings. Your posts about him included if, if, if, if... So we brought player who needs the whole system being adjusted for him.
    I agree he will be ok for some defensive roles, maybe he will even make some offensive impact like Melih did in some games. He is definitely better then Melih, because he plays defense, but not worth of buyout.

Should I draw you why paying 1 milion buyout for role player isn't good signing(which is meaning of this poll)

It's not about if Willbekin is good or bad player dude. He is good, no doubt about that.

BTW, are you Fener fan maybe? Just curiosity
    Last edited by janketa; 10-10-2022 at 05:54 PM.

I wouldn't describe myself as a Fener fan but if Wilbekin and Calathes are there are certainly be rooting for them

Wilbekin isn't a "defensive player." But he's good on defense. He needs to figure out how to beat Beaubois when they play Efes, but other than that matchup that he's struggled with, you should be very happy with how well Fener has integrated itself so far as a team.

Fener is so obviously better than they were last year despite not having de Colo and Vesely. Calathes and Wilbekin have worked great together so far. This Fener team is probably a top five or six team in EL. We'll see whether they can succeed in the playoffs or not -- I think they can, but it'll be interesting.

I wouldn't describe myself as a Fener fan but if Wilbekin and Calathes are there are certainly be rooting for them

Wilbekin isn't a "defensive player." But he's good on defense. He needs to figure out how to beat Beaubois when they play Efes, but other than that matchup that he's struggled with, you should be very happy with how well Fener has integrated itself so far as a team.

Fener is so obviously better than they were last year despite not having de Colo and Vesely. Calathes and Wilbekin have worked great together so far. This Fener team is probably a top five or six team in EL. We'll see whether they can succeed in the playoffs or not -- I think they can, but it'll be interesting.
    Well, they tend to get stuck in some sequences but Bjelica could be the distributing big in the offense. Defense is more than solid but its not ok Calathes to be forced to shoot in the last seconds. It happened to often. But you are right its a playoff team indeed.

Well, they tend to get stuck in some sequences but Bjelica could be the distributing big in the offense. Defense is more than solid but its not ok Calathes to be forced to shoot in the last seconds. It happened to often. But you are right its a playoff team indeed.
    If teams are disrespecting Calathes' shot to the point that they're leaving him wide open spotting up, then he has to take that shot. That's the downside of Calathes, but he's been making them so far. Knowing that your coach has confidence in you goes a long way.

If teams are disrespecting Calathes' shot to the point that they're leaving him wide open spotting up, then he has to take that shot. That's the downside of Calathes, but he's been making them so far. Knowing that your coach has confidence in you goes a long way.
    This cant be the way if you want to reach F4. We saw it again and again. He will fail in crucial games and he has very good shooter around him. His job should be creating for others and nothing else. I am ok with 2-3 open shots per game but not these step back self creation shots.