Thread: Combining all the teams and leagues

Default Combining all the teams and leagues

Ok I want to start a comprehensive list of all the teams and leagues within the country, hopefully with salaries (if possible). The whole system seems so scattered. It seems like it would be easy to make a relegation/promotion type of system, or at least champions league if someone could make it happen (I read something about a champions league, but it seemed complicated). We are not going to talk about the PBA because they seem to have zero interest in ever helping the country develop a decent basketball league/system.

MPBL (22 teams)
    NBL (10 teams)
    VisMin Super Cup (8 teams)
    FilBasket (12 teams)
    Pilipinas Super League (9 teams)

There are 61 teams in these 5 leagues.

There is no reason there couldnít be in 2 to 3 years a top league, a second league, a third league, a fourth league, and a 5th league. With around 12 teams in each league. Then the top teams get promoted and the bottom teams get relegated.

You could then have (hopefully) real home games and develop real fan bases. These leagues where games are played at neutral sites are never going to work. Has this not been shown for the past decade?

There is a love of basketball in the country, it is just amazing they canít also combine that with the love of the city/region. You canít have a fan base when your team has 1 home game a year, that is crazy.

Iím sure it will never happen, but it seems so easy.

Do a business plan for this with emphasis on financials. You will see the real challenges of doing such ventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell View Post
    Ok I want to start a comprehensive list of all the teams and leagues within the country, hopefully with salaries (if possible). The whole system seems so scattered. It seems like it would be easy to make a relegation/promotion type of system, or at least champions league if someone could make it happen (I read something about a champions league, but it seemed complicated). We are not going to talk about the PBA because they seem to have zero interest in ever helping the country develop a decent basketball league/system.

MPBL (22 teams)
    NBL (10 teams)
    VisMin Super Cup (8 teams)
    FilBasket (12 teams)
    Pilipinas Super League (9 teams)

There are 61 teams in these 5 leagues.

There is no reason there couldn’t be in 2 to 3 years a top league, a second league, a third league, a fourth league, and a 5th league. With around 12 teams in each league. Then the top teams get promoted and the bottom teams get relegated.

You could then have (hopefully) real home games and develop real fan bases. These leagues where games are played at neutral sites are never going to work. Has this not been shown for the past decade?

There is a love of basketball in the country, it is just amazing they can’t also combine that with the love of the city/region. You can’t have a fan base when your team has 1 home game a year, that is crazy.

I’m sure it will never happen, but it seems so easy.
    I think players cross-over from one league to the next depending on schedule and availability. Also, moneyed teams do the same. San Juan Knights and Delta play in what leagues? MPBL then NBL , then FilBasket?

Isnt PBA the top tier league already?

Last edited by Inkwell; 06-20-2022 at 08:41 PM.

I believe that is all the professional teams in the country, although I definitely could be wrong. Please let me know what teams I am missing.

I don’t think La Union has a team anymore so the bracket would have to be updated lol.

Ideally (in a dream lol) this would be a seeding tournament. If your team made it to the round of 16 you would then be in the top league, let’s call it league Pinakamahusay. The bottom 2 leagues would be split regionally. So around 20 teams would be in the southern league and around 20 teams would be in the northern league.

The bottom 6 teams in the Pinakamahusay standings at the end of the season would drop down to the bottom 2 leagues. The top 3 teams in the southern league would go to Pinakamahusay and the top 3 teams in the northern league would go to Pinakamahusay.

Quote Originally Posted by bballcrazy View Post
    Isnt PBA the top tier league already?
    In the context of Philippine/Southeast Asian basketball, yes.

But as for East Asian basketball? I guess we can only tell once the EASL tourney starts. This will measure how top PBA teams (I'm guessing TNT and Ginebra) will fair against HK, China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan.

Probably, PBA is midtier

Also, my seeding might be bad, I don’t really know too much about each league and each team.

The goal is to bring all these teams together to create a system that will create home and away games for teams. To create an actual league that would have excitement and regional fans (unlike the PBA)

I need Servino to fill out the bracket. What teams will make the final four?
    He probably knows more about these teams then anyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    Do a business plan for this with emphasis on financials. You will see the real challenges of doing such ventures.
    Yes, I will talk about this later when I have more time

Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    I think players cross-over from one league to the next depending on schedule and availability. Also, moneyed teams do the same. San Juan Knights and Delta play in what leagues? MPBL then NBL , then FilBasket?
    Yeah this is true. There were/are multiple teams who were/are in multiple leagues. It is very weird. Another reason why the current system doesn’t work.

Unhappy

Too bad this did not materialize, it was a good idea though . . .

THE DREAM of many Filipino Basketball fans will become a reality as top leagues National Basketball League (NBL), Pilipinas VisMin Super Cup, Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL), Womenís National Basketball League (WNBL) and Pilipinas 3X3 announced a working partnership June 12, 2021. The historic moment coincided with the 123rd Philippine Independence Day as all the leagues vowed to together promote love of country through sports. READ MORE