EuroLeague 2022/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazz View Post
    A salary cap in Euroleague may be difficult to implement because there's teams from so many different countries. In the EU there is an issue with salary caps and the free movement of workers. There were questions of whether Financial Fair Play rules in football were compatible with EU laws.
    With MLB it's mostly American teams with a few Canadian ones, so much more straightforward. And as you know, EL teams also compete in domestic competitions as well, which adds another layer of complication which doesn't exist for MLB teams.
    That said, EL does actually have a players' association now ( https://elpa.basketball/ ) although even forming such a union to represent players took many years.

I could be wrong on this, but iirc France has quite strict rules in football about their clubs proving their solvency before a season starts. I got the impression that it was the same for their basketball teams too. Likely why you rarely hear stories about French teams being late with payments to players or of teams folding during a season. Germany is similar.

About qualification for Euroleague, here's the situation for the 2022-23 season:
    12 teams with a "long term license."
    Two places for the EuroCup finalists.
    1 two year wild card spot.
    3 one year wild card spot. (One of these is usually reserved for the ABA champion.)

So the only legitimate way for non licensed teams to qualify is via the ABA or EuroCup. If Venezia won Lega Basket or Murcia won the ACB there would be no places in Euroleague for them.

This site should be of some help in terms of tracking the changes to Euroleague rosters:
    https://www.eurohoops.net/en/tradema...nsfers-2022/2/
    Thank you for taking the time to reply and explain! It's a very good point about teams also playing in their domestic leagues regarding a salary cap. I can only imagine how awkward that would be to try and arrange.

Like the report said, owners are happy with the setup, and it's been going on for a while now, so I don't think there is a cause to worry but obviously, self sustainability should also be the goal in sports. Imagine if next season a team like Milan or Efes lost their sponsor and can no longer compete
    VEF RIGA
    Maccabi Tel Aviv

Comment

Originally posted by janketa View Post
      They replaced Teo with Chacho and added Clyburn, So I would say 2019 roster was better then 2016

2nd argument could be that they beated rather easily Efes, who dominated 3 years in a row after that.
      I agree the overall roster was stronger but there was just something more stylish about their basketball in 2016. Plus, the 2016 team was the one to finally banish the ghosts of Istanbul 2012. Their 2019 team didn't have that burden.

You said about watching the finals from the past 20 years or so and I have a question about that- do you agree that the 2012 Olympiacos team was ridiculously underrated? In retrospect, it feels strange that they were considered such underdogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Uskoton View Post
        Thank you for taking the time to reply and explain! It's a very good point about teams also playing in their domestic leagues regarding a salary cap. I can only imagine how awkward that would be to try and arrange.

Like the report said, owners are happy with the setup, and it's been going on for a while now, so I don't think there is a cause to worry but obviously, self sustainability should also be the goal in sports. Imagine if next season a team like Milan or Efes lost their sponsor and can no longer compete
        No problem.

Ideally every club would be self sustainable and like you say it is concerning what would happen to some of them if they lost their benefactor. But then again look at all the money there is in elite football and yet still many of those teams have serious debts.

Comment

I agree the overall roster was stronger but there was just something more stylish about their basketball in 2016. Plus, the 2016 team was the one to finally banish the ghosts of Istanbul 2012. Their 2019 team didn't have that burden.

You said about watching the finals from the past 20 years or so and I have a question about that- do you agree that the 2012 Olympiacos team was ridiculously underrated? In retrospect, it feels strange that they were considered such underdogs.
          Their roster from 2010 and 2011 was packed with stars and much more expensive. I suppose that hype rooted from changing their policy and relying much more on domestic players what was winner strategy in that moment. But that won't gona happen ever again. One moment in history where you have 3 top level domestic players in the roster.

Same case was Partizan 1992 and Jugoplastika(Pop84). In current situation it's almost impossible, budget rules

Comment

Their roster from 2010 and 2011 was packed with stars and much more expensive. I suppose that hype rooted from changing their policy and relying much more on domestic players what was winner strategy in that moment. But that won't gona happen ever again. One moment in history where you have 3 top level domestic players in the roster.

Same case was Partizan 1992 and Jugoplastika(Pop84). In current situation it's almost impossible, budget rules
            I think there was also the fact that CSKA beat them by solid margins when they played in the second group stage too. But Olympiakos had improved a lot from that point, once they got Law and Dorsey more settled into the team.
            And yes a good point that it's unlikely to happen again.

Comment

I recognise the quality of the 2019 CSKA team but their 2016 team was also amazing and I think were probably even better to watch. IIRC the only serious flaw in their 2016 team was the lack of depth at center because of Joel Freeland's injuries.
              Teodosic and De Colo combination in the backcourt, it really doesn't get better than that.
              2019 team only won because they did not meet Olympiakos at the F4.

5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
                2019 team only won because they did not meet Olympiakos at the F4.

I understand joke, but even the best Oly from 2013-2014 couldn't beat them.

Comment

Euroleague' s documentary about return of two clubs with historical successes clubs in Europe, and third with respectful successes.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H-sLiyk70w
                  Last edited by Nemanja95; 07-04-2022, 05:15 PM.

Comment

* 2022-23 EuroLeague season is expected to start on October 6th.
                    * Regular season will end on April 14th, 2023.
                    * Back-to-back weeks in rounds 3+4, 9+10, 13+14, 18+19, 27+28, 31+32.
                    * Final four - on May 18th-21st *OR* 25th-28th.
                    * Full schedule - later this week
                    EUROLEAGUEADDICTED

Comment

Lorkin will be out for 2 months

I can't remember that Efes started a single season with him 100% fit

They will probably go on market now

Comment

Lorkin will be out for 2 months

I can't remember that Efes started a single season with him 100% fit

They will probably go on market now
                        So Turkish domestic league Fener favorit?

Comment

Originally posted by jasua_85 View Post
                          So Turkish domestic league Fener favorit?
                          Maybe, but it's almost new roster and yet to see if we could be beter then last season. Without De Colo and Vesely will be much harder

Comment

Maybe, but it's almost new roster and yet to see if we could be beter then last season. Without De Colo and Vesely will be much harder
                            Given that you added Wilbekin, who is Turkish, who is better than de Colo offensively and defensively, at this this stage of their careers, it will be easier.

Comment

The first reaction for any Fener fan on Wilbekin this pre-season should be that he's actually really good defensively.

de Colo has been a huge negative in that regard for years.

Comment

Will the cowards of Jordi-Cup throw Partizan out of the competition after they travelled to Russia to take part in VTB supercup?

I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information