X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurobasket 2022 Overview

Hallo dear friends,

I thought giving an overview of the teams strengths and weaknesses would be beneficial for guys who are not observing every NT.

Team Turkey:

OK, lets try to give some overview about the expected teams

The Turkish team should look something like this (best case)

PG: Shane Larkin, Kenan Sipahi (Bugrahan Tuncer)
    SG: Furkan Korkmaz,(Sehmus Hazer), (Melih Mahmutoglu)
    SF: Cedi Osman, Onuralp Bitim, (Metecan Birsen), (Egehan Arna)
    PF: Alperen Sengün, Sadik Emir Kabaca
    C : Ömer Yurtseven, Sertac Sanli

The roster should look like something like this. Unlike the previous seasons, most of the guys had big roles in their teams. There are many many options in the 2 and 3 positions, 1 and 4 are a bit problematic but not too bad. The selection between Mahmutoglu, Hazer and Bitim will be very interesting to watch. Up until now Mahmutoglu was never questioned neither by Sarica nor by Ene but Ergin Ataman knows how to have a good mix of offense and defense. I would let Mahmutoglu out but I am not sure if its gonna happen. Onuralp Bitim after this season and considering his impact on both sides of the game should be set. Mahmutoglu will be history soon anyway.

The selection either of Birsen or Arna depends on the way he wants to play. Birsen had a very bad season and his shots hasnt fallen at all so far. He is a good rebounder and with 6'9 he is able to play 4 too but Arna on the other hand had his breakout season and is a quite reliable shooter (actually he is a great shooter) which can open up room for our 3 offensive bigs. Anyway with Bitim coming from the bench Furk will be able to start.

In Atamans system shooting from the power forward position is crucial. I am sure he will start with 2 bigs (Sengün and Sanli) and switch them in offense and defense. Sengün will play 5 on offense and Sanli will wait outside for the open shot and some pick and roll/pop action. On defense they will change positions. Sengün has similar to Jokic very fast hands and can be used for deflections and Sanli can work in the paint.

Of course there can be matchups Sanli and Sengün cant be used together. For guys like JV who are too strong for Sanli and too tall and too for Sengün he will have to start with Yurtseven. But there is enough room to rotate.

The center rotation is really not bad offensively the 3 guys cover all the needs you can think of, defensively there are some problems. We need to wait the full potential of this big rotation till Adem Bona is ready.

I am a believer of Sengüns talent. I am sure he is unguardable on one vs. one and as a solid passer and finisher he will be a big help creating open shots. Especially Sanlis 3 point shot will drag out bigs and make more room for Sengün and co. or Sanli will punish. Yurtsevens and Sengüns ability to grab rebounds are very precious for second chances and both of them can finish in various ways. Yurtsevens problem was always shying away from contact. The problem hasnt fully vanished yet but he fought in the NBA well.

My biggest concern are the two guards on the defensive end. Securing the ball with struggling to create open looks was always a problem which is gonna get minimized with a solid Shane Larkin who is really eager to play for Turkey btw. but the backcourt was so far really undersized. The best way to have a balanced team is being able to switch from an offensive to a defensive lineup and we have the guys.

Sipahi and Bitim are the both guys I trust defensively fully even if it means losing some creativity. We need guys who can show some resilience. I am really interested to see a lineup with.

Larkin - Bitim - Osman - Sengün - Sanli

Such a lineup has a good offense - defense balance

In a scenario without Larkin on the court Ataman needs to find a way to create out of the post and here I really fear that he is gonna use Tuncer who is the biggest weakness of this team since he can defend at all. I would prefer Sipahi over him but I am ok with both on the roster which would make Mahmutoglu fall out. We will see...

This is an overall solid team with a deep roster with some crucial irreplaceable names like Larkin and Sengün who are both the stars of this team.

Despite having a bad season at the end I dont doubt Korkmaz will play a solid Eurobasket and despite having a good overall season I doubt Osmans shots will fall like they did in the NBA but he has the range for sure. I mentioned it because stretching the floor will be crucial when the Turkish team wants to unleash its full potential with 3 offensive bigs.

Quarter finals is the minimum goal but taking the right path more is more than possible.

But can Sengun guard anyone playing the 4? Offensively he can survive even he's a center, but I doubt he can survive defensively. 4 position is empty.
    He is definitely to slow for the NBA but FIBA competition is not half that strong, he might struggle in some matchups but I dont see big problems if he doesnt face Giannis or similar hard opponents and yes the power forward position is the weakest position atm but there is enough room for patching.

Comment

Lithuania 2022

All best ltu players agreed to participate in eurobasket 2022 only 1 is doubtfull Ulanovas (Zalgiris).He will make his desicion later on.But its looking more he wont play.

From Ltu NT coach recent press conferences NT should look like this:

PG Jokubaitis,Lekavicius
      SG Grigonis,R.Giedraitis
      SF Butkevicius,Kuzminskas
      PF Sabonis,Zukauskas
      C Valanciunas,Motiejunas

remaining 2 places in unclear.

Right now its unclear who will be 5th guard.I would say Dimsa is main candidate.

Players like Gudaitis,Bendzius,Masiulis,Brazdeikis,Kariniauskas ,Velicka is in the mix fighting for last spots in NT roster.
      Last edited by Shawshank; 05-13-2022, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
        Hallo dear friends,

I thought giving an overview of the teams strengths and weaknesses would be beneficial for guys who are not observing every NT.

Team Turkey:

OK, lets try to give some overview about the expected teams

The Turkish team should look something like this (best case)

PG: Shane Larkin, Kenan Sipahi (Bugrahan Tuncer)
        SG: Furkan Korkmaz,(Sehmus Hazer), (Melih Mahmutoglu)
        SF: Cedi Osman, Onuralp Bitim, (Metecan Birsen), (Egehan Arna)
        PF: Alperen Sengün, Sadik Emir Kabaca
        C : Ömer Yurtseven, Sertac Sanli

The roster should look like something like this. Unlike the previous seasons, most of the guys had big roles in their teams. There are many many options in the 2 and 3 positions, 1 and 4 are a bit problematic but not too bad. The selection between Mahmutoglu, Hazer and Bitim will be very interesting to watch. Up until now Mahmutoglu was never questioned neither by Sarica nor by Ene but Ergin Ataman knows how to have a good mix of offense and defense. I would let Mahmutoglu out but I am not sure if its gonna happen. Onuralp Bitim after this season and considering his impact on both sides of the game should be set. Mahmutoglu will be history soon anyway.

The selection either of Birsen or Arna depends on the way he wants to play. Birsen had a very bad season and his shots hasnt fallen at all so far. He is a good rebounder and with 6'9 he is able to play 4 too but Arna on the other hand had his breakout season and is a quite reliable shooter (actually he is a great shooter) which can open up room for our 3 offensive bigs. Anyway with Bitim coming from the bench Furk will be able to start.

In Atamans system shooting from the power forward position is crucial. I am sure he will start with 2 bigs (Sengün and Sanli) and switch them in offense and defense. Sengün will play 5 on offense and Sanli will wait outside for the open shot and some pick and roll/pop action. On defense they will change positions. Sengün has similar to Jokic very fast hands and can be used for deflections and Sanli can work in the paint.

Of course there can be matchups Sanli and Sengün cant be used together. For guys like JV who are too strong for Sanli and too tall and too for Sengün he will have to start with Yurtseven. But there is enough room to rotate.

The center rotation is really not bad offensively the 3 guys cover all the needs you can think of, defensively there are some problems. We need to wait the full potential of this big rotation till Adem Bona is ready.

I am a believer of Sengüns talent. I am sure he is unguardable on one vs. one and as a solid passer and finisher he will be a big help creating open shots. Especially Sanlis 3 point shot will drag out bigs and make more room for Sengün and co. or Sanli will punish. Yurtsevens and Sengüns ability to grab rebounds are very precious for second chances and both of them can finish in various ways. Yurtsevens problem was always shying away from contact. The problem hasnt fully vanished yet but he fought in the NBA well.

My biggest concern are the two guards on the defensive end. Securing the ball with struggling to create open looks was always a problem which is gonna get minimized with a solid Shane Larkin who is really eager to play for Turkey btw. but the backcourt was so far really undersized. The best way to have a balanced team is being able to switch from an offensive to a defensive lineup and we have the guys.

Sipahi and Bitim are the both guys I trust defensively fully even if it means losing some creativity. We need guys who can show some resilience. I am really interested to see a lineup with.

Larkin - Bitim - Osman - Sengün - Sanli

Such a lineup has a good offense - defense balance

In a scenario without Larkin on the court Ataman needs to find a way to create out of the post and here I really fear that he is gonna use Tuncer who is the biggest weakness of this team since he can defend at all. I would prefer Sipahi over him but I am ok with both on the roster which would make Mahmutoglu fall out. We will see...

This is an overall solid team with a deep roster with some crucial irreplaceable names like Larkin and Sengün who are both the stars of this team.

Despite having a bad season at the end I dont doubt Korkmaz will play a solid Eurobasket and despite having a good overall season I doubt Osmans shots will fall like they did in the NBA but he has the range for sure. I mentioned it because stretching the floor will be crucial when the Turkish team wants to unleash its full potential with 3 offensive bigs.

Quarter finals is the minimum goal but taking the right path more is more than possible.
        Interested to see how Larkin and Sengun will work together and is Bitim going to make a difference for you at this level. I just wouldn't say that Sengun is unarguable in the post. It will require a few more years to reach such level and he is still far from his peak physically. However, it's a competitive team that can make some noise if things go their way.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
          Lithuania 2022

All best ltu players agreed to participate in eurobasket 2022 only 1 is doubtfull Ulanovas (Zalgiris).He will make his desicion later on.But its looking more he wont play.

From Ltu NT coach recent press conferences NT should look like this:

PG Jokubaitis,Lekavicius
          SG Grigonis,R.Giedraitis
          SF Butkevicius,Kuzminskas
          PF Sabonis,Zukauskas
          C Valanciunas,Motiejunas

remaining 2 places in unclear.

Right now its unclear who will be 5th guard.I would say Dimsa is main candidate.

Players like Gudaitis,Bendzius,Masiulis,Brazdeikis,Kariniauskas ,Velicka is in the mix fighting for last spots in NT roster.
          I disagree that E. Zukauskas is a lock. Strong candidate, yes, but nothing more. I mean who is he? Brazdeikis is more of a lock, IMO, than a no-name E. Zukauskas. We are discussing about the latter only because of tremendous subjective take by coach Maksvytis.

Sedekerskis and Kulboka also are bigger names than E. Zukauskas too.

There's totally no need of all JV, Sabonis, D-Mo. IMO, that would be mistake. Take Kulboka, or Sedekerskis, have more combo forwards or another guard, but not another center who can't play any defence.

To some extent, Butkevicius is also not a lock. Specially if both Ulanovas, Brazdeikis IN.
          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
          Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Is it this Zukauskas of Tofas?

Comment

Is it this Zukauskas of Tofas?
              Yes. Seen him play? Any thoughts?

Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                Yes. Seen him play? Any thoughts?
                He is not very long with the team but I watched a couple games. Offensively a good guy for CL & Turkish BSL level. He is definitely a solid spot up and catch & and shoot shooter and creates few shots out off the dribble but nothing he will do with the NT. Doesnt have much more in his arsenal, not a rebounder for sure. Is slow and lacks explosiveness even for BSL, CL standards but has a soft touch even if i believe attacking the rim wont be one of his duties.

Defensively, there is no much positiv I saw tbh. He doesnt know much about positioning, cant read situations near the rim. Shortly said a below average defender. He gives everything and is focussed most of the time but defense is not his strong side.

He can surely help you stretching the floor but thats all he can help with i guess.

Comment

Im the last person who wants Dmo in NT.I repeated for years he is cancer in our NT loockeroom.

But when head coaching repeated in diffrent interview Dmo shouldnt be left out of NT i get the message.

Same goes to Zukauskas.But with him i want him in NT.

I had enough of those skinny jeans soft dudes at PF from recent experience in NT. I need strong mature dude that can push people,not get pushed around ale Bendzius/Masiulis type.

I forgot to mentione Sedekerskis surely he is in mix of players of candidates.

10 players i write as lock hearing what head coach is saying.Not from my like/dislike list.

Comment

OK time to take some Greeks into the boat.

Greek roster (best case) with some presuppositions:

PG: Nick Calathes, (Vassilis Mouratos) or (Nikos Gikkas)
                    SG: Kostas Sloukas, Dorsey, (Panagiotis Kalaitzakis or Larentzakis)
                    SF: Ionnis Papapetrou, Kostas Papanikolaou
                    PF: Giannis Antetounmpo, Agravanis (Mitoglou probably out due to doping)
                    C : Giorgos Papagiannis, Kostas Antetokounmpo

A good roster but it doesnt suit to optimize Giannis strength. First problem I see is Greece has two too ball dominant guards. Would never run Calathes with Giannis. Sloukas being love with the ball will force Giannis to play without the ball. He suits superbly in the Greek defensive system but offensively I see again big problems utilizing him.

Olympiacios has shown that Dorsey with Sloukas doesnt work at all. Dorsey is what Greece needs but also a problem by himself. This guy (if he comes playing) doesnt see anything but the rim and doesnt know much about playing without the ball but a solid Euroleague scorer who would fit playing with Calathes but he needs to stay with Giannis. I dont know how the Greeks are gonna solve this problem. Tbh I would run Giannis on five even if he doesnt like playing under the rim.

The next question mark is Calathes decline. As someone who lives with his athleticism he is indeed in obvious decline. Still a good defender but he cant be run full time. Sloukas is still in his prime though.

Considering the easy path and maybe unsuitable but still strong roster anything less than the quarter finals would be a huge disappointment.

Comment

No way Greece can leave out best bench supporter in world. Left hand of best player in world.

Those 2 come together. You take both of them or dont get neither.

I wouldnt be shocked seeing Greece taking all 3 if that helps to convince Giannis.

Comment

Yeah you might have a point.

Comment

Best player in the NBA maybe. In FIBA I think no-one stand even close Luka. Absolutely deadly offensively. Is Giannis and Jokic deadly in FIBA? I don't know, but I didn't see that yet.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I think you must come with a certain attitude to these tournaments. With the determination and will to win no matter what it costs. I think Giannis brings this attitude. I at least cant see a lazy attitude but FIBA rules and courts and his teams doesnt support his game of basketball.

In case of Jokic, he doesnt seem very motivated tbh. He lacks effort.

Doncic brings the kind of attitude. A source told me that its written in his contract that he will play for Slovenia. This is a dedication we want to see of players.

Comment

OK time to take some Greeks into the boat.

Greek roster (best case) with some presuppositions:

PG: Nick Calathes, (Vassilis Mouratos) or (Nikos Gikkas)
                              SG: Kostas Sloukas, Dorsey, (Panagiotis Kalaitzakis or Larentzakis)
                              SF: Ionnis Papapetrou, Kostas Papanikolaou
                              PF: Giannis Antetounmpo, Agravanis (Mitoglou probably out due to doping)
                              C : Giorgos Papagiannis, Kostas Antetokounmpo

A good roster but it doesnt suit to optimize Giannis strength. First problem I see is Greece has two too ball dominant guards. Would never run Calathes with Giannis. Sloukas being love with the ball will force Giannis to play without the ball. He suits superbly in the Greek defensive system but offensively I see again big problems utilizing him.

Olympiacios has shown that Dorsey with Sloukas doesnt work at all. Dorsey is what Greece needs but also a problem by himself. This guy (if he comes playing) doesnt see anything but the rim and doesnt know much about playing without the ball but a solid Euroleague scorer who would fit playing with Calathes but he needs to stay with Giannis. I dont know how the Greeks are gonna solve this problem. Tbh I would run Giannis on five even if he doesnt like playing under the rim.

The next question mark is Calathes decline. As someone who lives with his athleticism he is indeed in obvious decline. Still a good defender but he cant be run full time. Sloukas is still in his prime though.

Considering the easy path and maybe unsuitable but still strong roster anything less than the quarter finals would be a huge disappointment.
                              You are spot on considering the rooster. I would like to see Printezis being part of the team one more time though. Especially if Mitoglou may be out this summer. That said, I believe Greece's strength compared to previous tournaments lies in the fact that 1) Giannis is better than ever. By now he is so good that FIBA or NBA does not really matter. 2) Dorsey's addition as a pure shooter 3) Papagiannis tremendous development and 4) Itoudis as the new head coach.

Moreover, I would go for shooters. Moraitis, Kalaitzakis, also Agravanis is not a bad option.
                              PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information