EuroBasket 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EuroBasket 2022

This place has been quiet, but hopefully upcoming Eurobasket will make it more vibrant.

Chances that our two best players appear at Eurobasket are more and more optimistic, both of them will likely finish their season in the first round, which gives them enough time to rest and recover.
    Rumor is that Jokic is much closer to play this year than last year. Bogdan is not doubtful (barring injuries), I think Micic, Lucic and Kalinic too if they all stay healthy. This might be the year when we finally appear in full capacity.

Because Serbia support Russia killers killing ukraine kids and women fiba should disqualife Serbia for 3 years like 90s for Serbias war crimes.

Serbia can eat from bloody russian money and in same time want to be part or other european nations it doesnt work like that.

Dont wanna hear serbian river cries about 1999. Ukraine kids/people have nothing to do with that to be killed in 2022.

Every nations lost their kids in other wars but nobody bringing that when we are talking about 2022 russian army killing simple street people in Ukraine.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 04-26-2022, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
      Because Serbia support Russia killers killing ukraine kids and women fiba should disqualife Serbia for 3 years like 90s for Serbias war crimes.

Serbia can eat from bloody russian money and in same time want to be part or other european nations it doesnt work like that.

Dont wanna hear serbian river cries about 1999. Ukraine kids/people have nothing to do with that to be killed in 2022.

Every nations lost their kids in other wars but nobody bringing that when we are talking about 2022 russian army killing simple street people in Ukraine.
      Write a petition. And you should add a little side note explaining how killings of innocent people in 1999 are not as important as killings of innocent people in 2022, and all that under general principle of protection of innocent people (get it?).

I have an even better proposition, and that is you should stop it here, because you have no idea that you are way over your head.

I like you Liths and your basketball, and let's just keep it that way.

You are only exposing yourselves this way.

I will be kind enough to forget uneducated rubbish you wrote in your thread.

Comment

Why Serbia want to play in eurobasket at all? 90% of that tournament is Nato countries.

By Serbia people fantasies all Nato is bloody killers. Erasing everything from memories what Serbia army did in 90s before 99.

Serbia,Russia,Belarus make your own eurobasket called war criminal basketball tournament.

Play best of 9 series.

Ukraine governtment gonna send you medals with murdered ukraine civilians names on it in last 24 hours and those 3 countries can put those medals proudly on their neck.
        Last edited by Shawshank; 04-27-2022, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
          Why Serbia want to play in eurobasket at all? 90% of that tournament is Nato countries.

By Serbia people fantasies all Nato is bloody killers. Erasing everything from memories what Serbia army did in 90s before 99.

Serbia,Russia,Belarus make your own eurobasket called war criminal basketball tournament.

Play best of 9 series.

Ukraine governtment gonna send you medals with murdered ukraine civilians names on it in last 24 hours and those 3 countries can put those medals proudly on their neck.
          Nah, we want to spank those NATO asses real hard.

Maybe Lithuania should get an invitation too. I'm sure we can find a couple of crimes against humanity and a couple of mass graves in your country to match your criteria for such tournament.

Comment

Pešić gave some good insights in his last interview. He is emphasizing Kalinić as the most important player in his system and compared him to Gurović in 2002 (if I remember correctly, there was an anecdote when we played vs USA in 2002 quarterfinals, entire team "informed" Gurović how Reggie Miller told American media that he was going to drop 30 on Gurović and that he doesn't have a clue about who that guy is. Off course, it didn't take much for Gurović to get all fired up, ready to take it on Reggie Miller, and he delivered with huge threes and great defense on Miller). It's a direct message to all players that fighting and working hard is put above talent and that talent alone can't win anything. That's exactly what we need from a veteran coach to have a strong hand in a team full of star players. He is emphasizing that those players who are going to do some dirty work in this team are just as important as leading players.

Once again was mentioned that Jokić wants to play but needs to see NT summer program before he commits to playing. I think that if Jokić doesn't play this summer, he won't play at all for NT. This is perfect moment and enough time for him to rest and show up for NT. It would feel somewhat strange to get so little in NT from a soon to be two time NBA MVP. The key is motivation – only motivated Jokić is going to make difference.

It's also clear that NBA players won't participate in June window because insurance for NBA players covers for 28 days of practice with NT. However, all NBA players will be available in August window against Greece and Turkey, which could be really great as all teams will play with best rosters and could be a great opportunity to gear up for Eurobasket. It’s also great that those games will be competitive, not just friendly. We need as many such games as we can get before the start of Eurobasket.

From what I could sense in Pesic's interviews so far, he has made a great connection to all players, Teodosić remains a big figure of our NT, Kalinić, Lučić, Jaramaz type of players will have important roles and give fighting identity to this team. He knows his stuff, and you can tell from his communication with everybody that he is fully committed to making success with NT. Old fox who knows a lot of tricks.

Comment

Jaramaz is profiling himself as a nice role player at Euroleague level. He lacks playmaking for something more, but he can be impactful in both ways. Pešić should take a close look at him, because he truly is a combo guard who can play alongside pass first point guards such as Teo or even Micić. And I think Pešić mentioned a couple of weeks ago that Jaramaz is progressing nicely with Bayern, so I take that as a sign that he could find an important role for him in both windows and Eurobasket.

He did pretty well playing with Šiško and Weiler-Babb as primary ballhandlers and gave Barca trouble in basically every game. With Jaramaz it’s possible to play a three guard lineup, which seems to be interesting to a lot of teams at top basketball level. Something like Micić-Jaramaz-Bogdanović is interesting and would definitely love to see. Jaramaz is not as secure ballhandler as those two, but he can play off ball and is a menace at slashing. This lineup could work defensively too, as there are no any real liabilities.

Now, this is all hypothetical, but something like Micić-Jaramaz-Bogdan-Kalinić (Lučić)-Jokić could be good in multiple ways:

1. It gives Jokić enough space to operate from low post/high post because everyone can stretch the floor. This wasn’t the case in 2019 with two center lineup.

2. Jaramaz, Kalinić, Lučić are perfect fits for off ball cuts next to Jokić…IQ, athleticism, agility, they are just perfect to play this style with Jokić. Lučić loves backdoor cuts which often finish in highlight dunks, Kalinić is big, strong, can finish through contact on the move, while Jaramaz can use his speed in straight line cutting when Jokić is operating from the high post.

3. Missmatch advantages. Jokić is probably the best in the world in exploiting mismatch advantages. Kalinić is probably the best Euroleague forward in back to the basket game. Micić and Jaramaz are slashing with ease against their defenders, let alone against big men. That means switching against this team would have to be really good to give them trouble.

4. The attention on Jokić, Bogdan and Micić will give much space to Jaramaz to drive and use his quickness which gives us a very mobile lineup with quick finishing, as well as open looks to other players. Opponents will be forced to pick and choose liabilities in our offense so they can throw help on Micić, Bogdan, Jokić. In that sense, it’s important to have shooters, cutters and good slashers at all times on the court. And that’s precisely what we can field in some lineup combinations like this one.

5. This three guard lineup gives one more gear and is really unpredictable because they can constantly move, shift and be dangerous in multiple ways. Simply, it will be hard to find some conceptual risks that opponents can use to throw them off balance. Not to mention that players like Jaramaz, Kalinić, Lučić will help to maintain balance with Micić, Bogdan, Jokić as a coherent unit.

Pešić can get creative with this team, this is just one potential lineup that can be very dangerous with players who can dominate in off ball play while still having those who are such dominant on ball players.

I think that probably the best crunch time lineup would be Micić-Bogdanović-Lučić-Kalinić-Jokić. Offense/defense balance in this lineup is probably the best you can get from this roster.

Still too early to write anything in this sense, it’s all hypothetical at this point.

Comment

edit.
                Last edited by Toruko; 05-12-2022, 09:19 PM.

Comment

So Jokic still somewhat shaky regarding NT as I understand. What a pity. If you get a superstar you better hope they are like A. Sabonis, P. Gasol, D. Nowitzki, L. Doncic. Super dedicated and not asking anything special at all.

Toruko, I think you missed the thread. This one is Serbian. But can Sengun guard anyone playing the 4? Offensively he can survive even he's a center, but I doubt he can survive defensively. 4 position is empty.
                  LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                  Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                  Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Oh I am sorry, I totally got confused by the title and didnt look at where the thread was opened.

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                      So Jokic still somewhat shaky regarding NT as I understand. What a pity. If you get a superstar you better hope they are like A. Sabonis, P. Gasol, D. Nowitzki, L. Doncic. Super dedicated and not asking anything special at all.

Toruko, I think you missed the thread. This one is Serbian. But can Sengun guard anyone playing the 4? Offensively he can survive even he's a center, but I doubt he can survive defensively. 4 position is empty.
                      I haven't heard that Jokić is asking for any special treatment. Sure, we'd like Jokić to be more in a mold of Danilović, Bodiroga, Đorđević, Divac when it comes to playing for NT, but it's also understandable that it's hard to continue with such physical and mental fatigue at the time you are supposed to rest and go away from basketball. Especially when it comes to Jokić, you don't become back to back MVP without huge sacrifice, I think for the past two seasons he has played by far the most minutes and games than any other NBA player. And keeping that level requires time off. Anyway, I think there is a better chance that Jokić plays this year than he doesn't.

It's a little bit more difficult for our NT these past couple of years. Basically all of our players, an entire roster is filled with players that play vital roles in their teams, starting form Jokić, Bogdan and Micić, to Lučić, Kalinić, Teo...their teams have great expectations and are more often than not in play for major trophies until the very end of season. It's not about their commitment to NT, it's just about physical and mental fatigue as well as pressure from high expectations throughout the season in both their teams and NT. The mix of brutal schedule and playing as leaders who are supposed to win games for their teams is just a tough combination from which our NT has been suffering the past few years.

Comment

The way it seems right now in the depth chart, rotation at PF seems to be the weakest and most challenging to fill it out to be competitive.

First of all, it's a given that Bjelica at this point of his career is more as a center than a PF. Whenever he played for Warriors he was utilized as a small ball center. I'm intrigued by that ability because we can play all five out being dangerous with shooting and slashing. However, that skill from Bjelica may not be much needed when we have Jokic who is going to play a lot of minutes and Milutinov who will try to lock the paint when Jokic rests. It would be much more valuable for us if Bjelica could still be the player who makes difference as a PF, but that seems like a history right now. This means Pešić will have to imorovize a lot to find a good fit for PF rotation.

Kalinić will almost certainly spend the most time at PF. This is good because it means Lučić will play next to him and both of them are perfect fits next to Jokić on offense and defense. Lučić will probably cover that spot in some limited minutes. This also means that Gudurić will have to play as a SF in some stretches of the game (if Bogdan is out) and that leaves us with Micić/Teo playing with Nedović or as I prefer in some combo variations with Jaramaz. Teo is thriving playing with Jaramaz type of players (like with Marković), and Micić shouldn't have any difficulties playing with Jaramaz who can be good in off ball sets especially with Jokić on the floor. So, it seems that our rotation at PF will cause some variations all along the depth chart. I suppose that Bjelica will still play some time at PF, so our rotation there should be Bjelica-Kalinić-Lučić. I wonder if Pokuševski will appear at training camp and will Pešić have any kind of plans about playing him or trying him out at both forward postions.

That rotation is probably the most logical at the moment, but if Pešić gets a little bit creative we might actually do something similar to 2019. when we played two center lineups, but with much more sensible approach. When I was watching Jokić's highlights from 2019. it occured to me how well he played with Milutinov or how well Milutinov played of off Jokić. Marjanović and Raduljica were of course a bad fit next to Jokić, but it was different with Milutinov as he is a lot more athletic and was easily catching Jokić's lob passes and some high/low combinations when Milutinov would use his height advantage and athleticism to finish quickly against smaller players on him. That was difficult with Marjanović and Raduljica as both of them were used to play in the post and couldn't stay in the short corner and finish with athletic plays as they both lacked agility and athleticism. This reminded me that Milutinov can spend some time next to Jokić as a nominal PF who would do great damage on the glass as a lob threat and offensive rebounder. There is also Petrušev who can do the same thing as Milutinov as a finisher and lob threat while also adding some shooting. There are ways to compensate for the lack of true PF's in the roster.

Comment

When you put it like this, it's still amazingly solid rotation even without Bogdanovic and prime Bjelica. Serbia will be hard nut to crack and, again, if they will put things together attitude and mentality wise it would be, IMO, most talented NT in Europe today. France has an edge as complete 2 ways NT (let's say), but Serbia has so many talent offensively that it makes the most talented NT on the paper quite easily (well, OK, France is close). And the problem for other teams this is (I think) that such glue guys as Kalinic and Lucic makes this Serbia's team more consistent and reliable mentally. At least I feel so. With that said, I think current TEO, usual Nedovic, usual Guduric and even to some extent Micic (I mean he tends to have deeper fluctuations compared to other elite Euros as say Diamantidis, Siska, Bodiroga just to give few names) are a little bit shaky. And Jaramaz is a little bit of an enigma at this point too (even though I was impressed with him in EL).

My point is, that a lot will depend on players mentality and preparation. If Jokic and Bog both in and provide their A game consistently it's a game over. On other hand, if Jokic would happen to be a bit unfocused again and Micic also kinda off (which I think is pretty likely after off season) and Bog is out, then we are looking how guys like Kalinic, Lucic, Teo, Nedovic, Guduric are doing and their impact become more important.

Defensively I think Serbia will still be a bit vulnerable knowing that 1, 2 and 5 (Jokic) positions will be filled with primarily offensive players, but Kalinic and Lucic presence will solve many issues.

To sum up, Serbia in any way will be too good to treat it any other way than to say that it's biggest enemy will be itself. And probably off season too Can Jokic stay away from good all long summer long?

From LTU fan perspective, hope to avoid Serbia in the 4finals. We had too rough path to semis recently counting 2017, 2019, 2021 as main last three tournaments went.
                          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                          Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                            When you put it like this, it's still amazingly solid rotation even without Bogdanovic and prime Bjelica. Serbia will be hard nut to crack and, again, if they will put things together attitude and mentality wise it would be, IMO, most talented NT in Europe today. France has an edge as complete 2 ways NT (let's say), but Serbia has so many talent offensively that it makes the most talented NT on the paper quite easily (well, OK, France is close). And the problem for other teams this is (I think) that such glue guys as Kalinic and Lucic makes this Serbia's team more consistent and reliable mentally. At least I feel so. With that said, I think current TEO, usual Nedovic, usual Guduric and even to some extent Micic (I mean he tends to have deeper fluctuations compared to other elite Euros as say Diamantidis, Siska, Bodiroga just to give few names) are a little bit shaky. And Jaramaz is a little bit of an enigma at this point too (even though I was impressed with him in EL).

My point is, that a lot will depend on players mentality and preparation. If Jokic and Bog both in and provide their A game consistently it's a game over. On other hand, if Jokic would happen to be a bit unfocused again and Micic also kinda off (which I think is pretty likely after off season) and Bog is out, then we are looking how guys like Kalinic, Lucic, Teo, Nedovic, Guduric are doing and their impact become more important.

Defensively I think Serbia will still be a bit vulnerable knowing that 1, 2 and 5 (Jokic) positions will be filled with primarily offensive players, but Kalinic and Lucic presence will solve many issues.

To sum up, Serbia in any way will be too good to treat it any other way than to say that it's biggest enemy will be itself. And probably off season too Can Jokic stay away from good all long summer long?

From LTU fan perspective, hope to avoid Serbia in the 4finals. We had too rough path to semis recently counting 2017, 2019, 2021 as main last three tournaments went.
                            I agree with everything you wrote, especially on remarks about Kalinić and Lučić. They are vital to anything Pešić will try to accomplish. There is a reason why Pešić called Kalinić the most important player in his team. They both bring many little details which are so important in knock-out games. They are our best defenders, always ready to grit and grind defensively while being capable to punish whatever is left to them on offense. Jaramaz should join them and bring a good on ball pressure on defensive end. But we have yet to see if Kalinić and Lučić will finally play together because Lučić is again coping with some injuries and didn't even play last few games against Alba in German finals.

Probably no Bogdan, but this might actually bring the best out of Micić. He will have ball in his hands and that's what he needs to feel comfortably. What is impressive about Micić, no matter his, at times, wild shooting, is that he has been clutch for the past two years and has played great every single important game. That is sign of maturity and confidence which will hopefully translate to NT. This could also be a chance for Gudurić to take the next step as he will also have opportunity to prove himself with bigger responsibility. Teo in some 15 min. stretches should be fine and our insurance if Micić has a bad day.

There is talent even without Bogdan for sure, but also a lot of questions, primarily about Micić and Jokić. It's a fact that they have yet to bring to NT what they do regularly for their teams, so I guess this is their time and chance to shine. They will have all the freedom to do exactly that.

Our group at Eurobasket is kinda easy, and even if that didn't turn out to be good in 2019. when we also had an easy group, this time it might be helpful because we need all the time we can get to make cohesion with Jokić and get familiar with his game. That's why that August window just before the start of Eurobasket will come in handy because we will play as it seems with two good opponents that are also coming with their best players. I'm moderately optimistic that it will work out well. Pešić and his stuff are trying really hard to connect all parts from what I can see, so I guess it has to mean for something good.

Comment

Hey, just a friendly reminder to keep this thread basketball focused. There's a thread in the "United Nations" forum where the war in Ukraine can be discussed.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information