No announcement yet.

SEA GAMES in Vietnam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plus his take that pinoys think we are the best in asia is at best outdated by about a quarter century.

Comment

• Originally posted by bsgermany View Post
      Seriously bringing up Jalen Green? You must really be running out of material to bring up against my statements, since Green has never been a serious issue here in Germany, and as far as I know never played a single game for Germany either.
      Jalen Green has a Filipino great grandparent. If you were truly following PH basketball even somewhat closely, you would know that.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomcat View Post
        How's your Filipina wife Bsgermany? It's been a long time since you posted here in Philippines forum.
        hehe, doing fine. I still keep my relations to Pangasinan (Family) and Mindanao (friends) alive.

Comment

Basketball becoming popular here in Germany actually started with Detlef Schrempf and his success in the NBA and on our national team, but surely Nowitzki lifted everything to a whole new level. Ever since we have seen more and more Germans making it to the NBA like currently Schröder (Houston), the Wagner brothers in Orlando, Theis in Boston, Hartenstein with the Clippers, Kleber in Dallas or Bonga (Toronto), but overall its visible how Europe caught up with the NBA in recent years when you look how many Europeans are now playing overseas, and that currently three three out of five All NBA first teamers are Europeans.
          Our national team though is currently facing similar problems as the Philippines. You guys can not bring in all players that play in Europe or America for your tournaments, while we need to play our worldcup qualifiers without all NBA players and even more players that play Euroleague, which is surely the second best league behind the NBA, but still we dont see the solution in bringing in foreigners - we do the best possible and focus on the players we have available, mainly from domestic leagues, while continuing to improve our youth teams. Maybe the Philippines should go a similar way, since a lot of Philippins are playing basketball, so that there should be hidden talent out there - it just needs to be found and developed. Of course that would be the long way, while most people here prefer the quick fix way by rather looking for a dominant import and dual citizens from abroad, who may not always be available and block the way for homegrown players.
          Maybe my approach for longterm improvement is not that wrong afterall. Instead of foreign players, bring in foreign coaches to learn from already successful systems, and maybe restructure your scouting systems within the country while laying a major focus on youth development. As the recent past has shown, one dominant import player can only bring u up to a certain point, but not much further. The foundation for more must be layed within the Philippines.

Regarding your experience with this 6'7" walk in from Germany - that very much reminded me on my own youth. On holidays, I once visited a friend at a division2 college team in California when I was 19.
          I was shooting baskets at an outddor court, when a guy walked up to me and asked me ehre I was from and if I was interested in pracrising with his team once or twice just for fun. Turned out that my 6'9" would have been a nice addition since his team didnt have anyone close to my height. It was fun back then and a nice experience.
          Your suggestion of improving youth teams' capabilities is great, and I've been a big advocate of youth development and getting players to play in a system that's good for FIBA. Get foreign coaches for help, then train local players and local coaches for international ball, starting from youth.

Problem is, we're too damn focused on quick fixes. We already have a couple foreign coaches in Tab Baldwin and Nenad Vučinić, but we see them as quick fixes too instead of using Tab's system as a blueprint on how to develop players and a system for FIBA, or having coaches train under him. It's like we're relying a little too much on certain people. It's kinda sad, really.

Comment

this is an international forum, so u have no exclusive rights here.
            As for your statements - I keep refering to foreign players in my statements, as well as possibly nescessary reforms in your system by laying the focus more on local talents, while you keep bringing up phil-ams all the time. Can't you read?
            I read it well and the insinuation is there, isn't it?

these Fil-Ams are also Filipinos, the same way you treat German-Americans as Germans. while I agree with you about developing homegrown talents, why targeting the Fil-Ams, especially if they are eligible and willing to play for the Philippines. Can you stop them from doing it? Why it can't both?
            Attack
            defend
            Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
              Jalen Green has a Filipino great grandparent. If you were truly following PH basketball even somewhat closely, you would know that.
              The Philippine Constitution requires the grandparent is a Filipino to get Philippine Citizenship as a natural-borm citizen. In Jalen Green's case, i would guess if his grandparent would get his or her Filipino Citizenship then Jalen Green can apply for his.

Comment

It may come as a surprise to you, but for a European, basketball in the Philippines may not always be the top priority. I said I keep freequently following basketbal there, but not that I keep myself updated on everything, or that I would be interested to follow all rumours 24/7.

Comment

Plus his take that pinoys think we are the best in asia is at best outdated by about a quarter century.
                  I don't know where the guy reads he thinks we're the best in Asia. After the horrid SEA games outing. We're already resolved to getting blown out by the upcoming NZL and South Korea games thanks to Chot. Just backread the SEA games thread dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goose View Post
                    The Philippine Constitution requires the grandparent is a Filipino to get Philippine Citizenship as a natural-borm citizen. In Jalen Green's case, i would guess if his grandparent would get his or her Filipino Citizenship then Jalen Green can apply for his.
                    I think Jalen's only path is the congress since it is his great grandparent who is Filipino. That being said if his career goes the way he wants it too, I think he'll be lined up by team USA.

Comment

well, the answer to that has just recently been given on the court. Its nothing new that Pinoys believe they belong to the top of the world in basketball, but they are not even top in Asia.
                      Just look at the PBA, where often average Americans totally dominate that league.
                      bringing this back up since some havent seen it.

Comment

So your answer to making the Philippines more or less competetive is foreign players? Shouldnt you rather try to develop local talents and maybe just accept in the meantime that the Philippines are just not good enough for international top level? The Southeast Asian games 2022 have been a major embarrassement, having trouble with weak teams like Indonesia and even Thailand, but maybe your talent pool just isnt as good as many seem to think here.
                        Maybe send coaches over to Europe and copy their programs to improve player development, and have your national team face good teams for a change to learn.
                        This too
                        Last edited by Sikatrix; 05-27-2022, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jupitersa View Post
                          I don't know where the guy reads he thinks we're the best in Asia. After the horrid SEA games outing. We're already resolved to getting blown out by the upcoming NZL and South Korea games thanks to Chot. Just backread the SEA games thread dude.
                          I always think that Iran, China and South Korea are the top Asian teams. when Australia and New Zealand entered the picture, then I believe that these two are the best in Asia-Oceania region. the only thing we bragged about is that we are the best in SEA but this is no longer the case.
                          Last edited by ja.he; 05-27-2022, 04:45 AM.
                          Attack
                          defend
                          Unite

Comment

• bsgermany is free to post here but if his takes are gonna be like those above expect some blowback. Most pinoy fans are more grounded to reality.
                            Last edited by Sikatrix; 05-27-2022, 03:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
                              Your suggestion of improving youth teams' capabilities is great, and I've been a big advocate of youth development and getting players to play in a system that's good for FIBA. Get foreign coaches for help, then train local players and local coaches for international ball, starting from youth.

Problem is, we're too damn focused on quick fixes. We already have a couple foreign coaches in Tab Baldwin and Nenad Vučinić, but we see them as quick fixes too instead of using Tab's system as a blueprint on how to develop players and a system for FIBA, or having coaches train under him. It's like we're relying a little too much on certain people. It's kinda sad, really.
                              I agree and I hope, that sooner or later the focus will change. Also the Philippines should start sending youth teams to tournaments in Europe, where I keep regularly missing the Philippines, while countries like China, Japan and certainly Australia regularly show up here and benefit from it. That would be well spend money in my oppinion, but of course take many years to see the benefit.

Comment

I agree and I hope, that sooner or later the focus will change. Also the Philippines should start sending youth teams to tournaments in Europe, where I keep regularly missing the Philippines, while countries like China, Japan and certainly Australia regularly show up here and benefit from it. That would be well spend money in my oppinion, but of course take many years to see the benefit.
                                Now this is a better suggestion and one I agree with. I think the SBPs agrees with it as well but I dont they have put proper focus into this.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information