Thread: Greece NT World Cup 2023 qualification

Default Greece NT World Cup 2023 qualification

The pre-selection for Greece for the game against Turkey.

Dimitris Agravanis (Prometheus)
    Nikos Gikas (Prometheus)
    Kostis Gotikas (Ionikos)
    Vassilidis Kavvadas (Pao)
    Dimitris Kalamanakis (Lavrio)
    Nick Calathes (Barcelona)
    Panagiotis Kalaitzakis (Lietkabelis)
    Giorgos Kamberids (PAOK)
    Leonidas Kaselakis (Panathinaikos)
    Dimitris Katsivelis (Peristeri)
    Giannis Kouzeloglou (AEK)
    Giannoulis Larentzakis (Olympiacos)
    Michalis Lountzis (Olympiacos)
    Vassilis Mouratos (Lavrio)
    Lefteris Bohoridis (Panathinaikos)
    Dimitris Moraitis (Peristeri)
    George Papagiannis (Panathinaikos)
    Costas Papanikolaou (Olympiacos)
    George Printezis (Olympiacos)
    Nikos Rogavopoulos (Prometheus)
    Costas Sloukas (Olympiacos)
    George Tsalbouris (Apollon Patras)
    Dimitris Flionis (AEK)
    Nikos Hougaz (Panathinaikos)

There are some Pao and Olympiacos players, as was announced before. No Tyler Dorsey. This is somewhat dissapointing, but rather understanding. As Dorsey in not integrated to the Greek NT in recent years. The upside is that Calathes is part of the rooster. Though, I don't know if he will actually partcipate. But since I read that Sanli was also in the Turkish pre-selection, then it is possible that Barca decided that both him and Calathes are going to be allowed to play at least one game.
    Last edited by Victorious; 02-16-2022 at 01:04 PM.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Its abvious that neither Calathes nor Sanli will be participating. It seems Greece is trying at least to secure one win in Greece. The general situation is tempting for it. I am really excited to watch how our new guys perform against some Euroleague guys. Lets dance!

This will be best match up of round 2. Really looking forward to this games.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Its abvious that neither Calathes nor Sanli will be participating. It seems Greece is trying at least to secure one win in Greece. The general situation is tempting for it. I am really excited to watch how our new guys perform against some Euroleague guys. Lets dance!
    Why put them on the pre-selection then? Perhaps they will play in the second game.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Why put them on the pre-selection then? Perhaps they will play in the second game.
    We Turks have an idiom for it. We say "trying is for free" but its a lost case but Greeks did well because if Barca let Sanli play they have to do it with Calathes too. It wont happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    We Turks have an idiom for it. We say "trying is for free" but its a lost case but Greeks did well because if Barca let Sanli play they have to do it with Calathes too. It wont happen though.
    Well, perhaps you are right.

The Greek rooster has good chances to win one of the two games. The previous rooster was risky. They could have won one game, or loose in both of them. Still, this rooster is not as strong as it seems. To start with, other than Papagiannis, the PAO players are not of the same caliber as the Olympiacos players are. I see some good help coming from Olympiacos in Sloukas and Papanikolaou and to a lesser extent, Larentzakis. But they will not really be able to help much in the first game, because they will be playing Milano a few hours prior to the game. Printezis seems out of shape compared to previous years. But he is more than welcome. The rest of the players would be playing for Greece anyways.

Well, considering the weak game against Belarus in Greece it was clear that some guys are needed but the first game will be like this. Greeks will try to start strong with Sloukas and another guy and maybe Papagiannis and see if they are needed the whole game, if not they will switch to CL guys. Its a risky situation for both teams and Oly is carrying right now. PAO player play for nothing but have a game on the same day. Well see.

Against Belarus the refs allowed the Greek players to beat up the guys from Belarus. It was a horrible game but I cant understand that they want to see Giannis in Eurobasket.

Considering 7 out of 10 guys can play (guys who know playing with each other) the chances are not half bad to win. The Turkish team wont have this chemistry but they are mostly unknown to some special cases that the Turkish team has.

Itoudis is officially the new head coach of the Greek national team. This is excellent news. Greece has had a very good pool of players in recent years. I believe a good head coach was missing. Although Pitino was excellent too in my opinion. But he didn't have the luck in being able to coach the full squad.

Itoudis is best possible option for any team in Europe. This boosts Greece a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if Greece medals this year. I think their team with this coach can beat everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Itoudis is best possible option for any team in Europe. This boosts Greece a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if Greece medals this year. I think their team with this coach can beat everybody.
    Any team needs time under one coach in order to achieve succes. But at least, if Greece doesn't succeed, it would not be because of a average coaching staff. They could beat anybody, but they are certainly not favorites agains two or three other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Any team needs time under one coach in order to achieve succes. But at least, if Greece doesn't succeed, it would not be because of a average coaching staff. They could beat anybody, but they are certainly not favorites agains two or three other teams.
    Certainly. At the end it comes down to "anything can happen" as always. Generally a full stacked Greece is a Top 5 team in Europe and with one of the best coaches in the world I see them at that spot to play up to their potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Certainly. At the end it comes down to "anything can happen" as always. Generally a full stacked Greece is a Top 5 team in Europe and with one of the best coaches in the world I see them at that spot to play up to their potential.
    It's a top 5 team. Mostly because Greece will have a new coach. So I am not sure how they will fare against a tough opponent in the quarter finals. But in next tournaments, the bar should be set higher imo. With Itoudis on the bench they started a new program, while in recent years they were just trying to find temporary solutions.

Calathes confirmed yesterday that he will be part of the Greek national team until the Olympics 2024. I have to say that he has been exemplenary for the Greek national team. Always dedicated. Always devoted. Definitely one of the greatest post 2008. He already has bronze, but I hope he will win some medals with Giannis.

Also, since the Katsikaris era it seems obvious that Greece is being build based on a multi-year model. Everyone who wants to play should be dedicated for a full Olympic cycle.

Belarus is expelled. Greece, Turkey and GB andvance to the next round where they will face Belgium, Serbia and Latvia. The next home game against GB is going to be key in order to advance with three victories. If Greece advances with two victories, it could pose a lot of problems for the next round.

Given that Serbia, Greece and Turkey will have a full rooster in June, I suspect the standings in the next phase will be:

Serbia 3
    Greece 3
    Turkey 2
    Latvia 2
    Belgium 1
    GB 1