Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 176

Thread: EuroBasket 2022 Power Rankings

  1. #121
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,967

    Default

    Why FIBA hasn't yet announced the ban of Russia? This is pathetic. Kick these maniacs out. Isolate the madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  2. #122
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,967

    Default

    Latvia as the main host of Eurobasket 2025. Group stages will also take part in Finland and Cyprus. Congrats to our neighbours. Finally Latvia got some slack From my perspective, it should be comfortable to play in Latvia both group and knock out stage.

    I wished Estonia could be in the mix though. They will have a nice generation with Kriisa, Drell, Henri Veesaar and it seems that basketball is the most popular sport now in Estonia. Lithuania is not alone in Europe

    https://twitter.com/EuroBasket/statu...47280194678786
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  3. #123
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,967

    Default

    Fan facts about Eurobasket. Which countries representatives (in some cases representing imperial blocks rather than their direct countries) won EB MVPs most times? All time, since 1935.

    Spain 7
    Lithuania 6
    Russia 5
    Serbia 4
    Croatia 4
    Germany 2
    Hungary 2

    France 1 (surprise)
    Turkey 1
    Slovenia 1
    Latvia 1
    Israel 1
    Czech Rep 1

    Only two individuals snatched it 2 times - Pau Gasol and Kresimir Cosic
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  4. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,967
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Latvia as the main host of Eurobasket 2025. Group stages will also take part in Finland and Cyprus. Congrats to our neighbours. Finally Latvia got some slack From my perspective, it should be comfortable to play in Latvia both group and knock out stage.

    I wished Estonia could be in the mix though. They will have a nice generation with Kriisa, Drell, Henri Veesaar and it seems that basketball is the most popular sport now in Estonia. Lithuania is not alone in Europe

    https://twitter.com/EuroBasket/statu...47280194678786
    This multi-country hostings suck hard time. Incredibly annoying.

  5. #125
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,967

    Default

    Batum out. So no Batum, no De Colo. That's 2 starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  6. #126
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    4,372
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Batum out. So no Batum, no De Colo. That's 2 starters.
    I wouldnt say De Colo was a starter but yeah Batum was dead for a certain time but he always played well in tournaments.

  7. #127
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    I wouldnt say De Colo was a starter but yeah Batum was dead for a certain time but he always played well in tournaments.
    Big hit nevertheless. Fournier now is absolutely necessary, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  8. #128
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    4,372
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Big hit nevertheless. Fournier now is absolutely necessary, IMO.
    Fournier is always ready unless he is injured but you are right. Fournier is someone who is badly needed but there are others who could create their own shots. Okobo and even Beaubois

  9. #129
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Fournier is always ready unless he is injured but you are right. Fournier is someone who is badly needed but there are others who could create their own shots. Okobo and even Beaubois
    Doubt Beaubois would even consider. Didn't even see him in the NT for years, why now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  10. #130
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    4,372
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Doubt Beaubois would even consider. Didn't even see him in the NT for years, why now?
    Technically he is available. I dont expect him to play, either

  11. #131
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    3,042
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Batum and Decolo 2 smartest France players that gave brain for very athletic team.Both always were playing close game endings well.

    Decolo offensively making desicions,Batum guarding best opponents players.

    France big 4 of last 2 medals winning teams 2019 and 2021 were:

    Gobert with Batum in defence, Fournier with Decolo in offence

    Huge loses for France.

  12. #132
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    12,811
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Batum singlehandedly screwed Slovenia twice in the past 10 years and turned the equilibrium back to France after we became a bit spoiled of beating France when neccesary, probably at some point after Rigadeau's retirement. He is a monster fiba player that because of surprinsingly mediocre NBA career somehow doesn't get the credit due. France is still loaded with talent, but these kinds of transitions to younger don't neccesarily always end up with simmilar results, even with comparable talent in question.

    Somebody mentioned Croatia as a top8 team. If there was a chance to ban PG's from playing and play 4 on 4 instead, they're imo top5 easily.
    But the way basketball is played currently, great teams with mediocre PG's will underperform, Croatia lacks even a mediocre PG for eurobasket level. The most extreme case of lack of PG in history in my opinion. Maybee even Simon running the point would decrase half of their problems but that's ussualy not a solution for more than one tournament. Running Ukič or Stipčevič at PG is almost simmilar to calling up Mulaomerović back from retirement. They will mostlikely need either young Gnjidić to make a solid progress or some naturalisation at PG. With the latter, they're immediately a top8 team, as they sure as hell have lots of talent on other positions...

    And that's also the only reason for Slovenia's results. PGs. Sure Dončič is an animal. But even while some Nikolič is really a mediocre PG for european standards, at NT level there aren't that many better ones. Especialy if you exclude those numbers of mediocre-to-borderline decent French and Spanish PG's, with those two nations being the only ones which can even remotely get labeled as "deep" on that position. Prepelič, even if more of a SG, is a freaking gold in that perspective. Rupnik is pretty near of a dissaster for a PG, but ironicaly still an upgrade on half of the eurobaskets point guards that show up. That should say it all actualy.

    Also, it's absolutely NO coincidence Italy was 5th in the olympics, with probably one of the more dissapointing rosters in their history, that's not just "oh finally after al those years" or some cinderella story, with Manion and Pajola, that are considered just as mediocre players in Virtus Bologna, they will keep on ending up in top8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

  13. #133
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    590
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Gobert is also questionable for Eurobasket. I think those star French players are aiming 2024 Olympics in Paris as their ultimate goal where they will try to take down USA. Everything up until that point will be of less importance for them and serve as preparation for Olympics.

  14. #134
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    Batum singlehandedly screwed Slovenia twice in the past 10 years and turned the equilibrium back to France after we became a bit spoiled of beating France when neccesary, probably at some point after Rigadeau's retirement. He is a monster fiba player that because of surprinsingly mediocre NBA career somehow doesn't get the credit due. France is still loaded with talent, but these kinds of transitions to younger don't neccesarily always end up with simmilar results, even with comparable talent in question.

    Somebody mentioned Croatia as a top8 team. If there was a chance to ban PG's from playing and play 4 on 4 instead, they're imo top5 easily.
    But the way basketball is played currently, great teams with mediocre PG's will underperform, Croatia lacks even a mediocre PG for eurobasket level. The most extreme case of lack of PG in history in my opinion. Maybee even Simon running the point would decrase half of their problems but that's ussualy not a solution for more than one tournament. Running Ukič or Stipčevič at PG is almost simmilar to calling up Mulaomerović back from retirement. They will mostlikely need either young Gnjidić to make a solid progress or some naturalisation at PG. With the latter, they're immediately a top8 team, as they sure as hell have lots of talent on other positions...

    And that's also the only reason for Slovenia's results. PGs. Sure Dončič is an animal. But even while some Nikolič is really a mediocre PG for european standards, at NT level there aren't that many better ones. Especialy if you exclude those numbers of mediocre-to-borderline decent French and Spanish PG's, with those two nations being the only ones which can even remotely get labeled as "deep" on that position. Prepelič, even if more of a SG, is a freaking gold in that perspective. Rupnik is pretty near of a dissaster for a PG, but ironicaly still an upgrade on half of the eurobaskets point guards that show up. That should say it all actualy.

    Also, it's absolutely NO coincidence Italy was 5th in the olympics, with probably one of the more dissapointing rosters in their history, that's not just "oh finally after al those years" or some cinderella story, with Manion and Pajola, that are considered just as mediocre players in Virtus Bologna, they will keep on ending up in top8.
    That is a spot on comment. Not that it comes as surprise Having a true point guard is pretty rare thing (and that's the game changer). That's why most "naturalization" comes in the "boxes 1". We should look at Czeck Rep. team as one of the best examples .Not a single superstar, but nearly deadly team because of very fundamentally sound architecture.

    And you shouldn't be too humble, let's say it openly - Slovenia is the best guards nation in Europe along with Spain, France and probably Serbia. One thing is certain - Doncic, Dragic, Udrih is the best PGs punch in the NBA when it comes to Europe. The future is also bright. Doncic is young and plenty of interesting youngsters. Ziga Samar seems like the guy who could make some impact in Eurobasket already. And many more.

    I would say Slovenia, France, Lithuania, Italy have their long term answers at 1. Spain and Serbia (assuming 28yo Micic is not precisely long term answer) should probably get away with something great as they always do even though today there's no blue printed names as of yet. But many don't...And that's the game changer cause naturalization is not only temporary solution usually, but also much less reliable whet it comes to creating winning environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  15. #135
    Senior Member R1ou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,242
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Italy, Czechs, Germany, Turkey, Lithuania
    Turkey against Greece are 0-3 without Giannis, go on.
    1997 - 2012 - 2013

  16. #136
    Senior Member okanial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R1ou View Post
    Turkey against Greece are 0-3 without Giannis, go on.
    You know some teams are strong against others not because they are better but because they are mad match ups right? Also we have a really young roster and a good future with finally a good coach. Our future looks good so far

  17. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    4,372
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Embiid playing for the French NT would be a huge problem.

  18. #138
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Embiid playing for the French NT would be a huge problem.
    Question is whenever Gobert and Victor (give him 2 years and he's a beast) are excited about it. France has enough of their 100% material to pack a heck of team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  19. #139
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    4
    Country: Afghanistan

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Big concerns and huge disappointments, limited offense and knee problems

    That's life, Toruko. That's life

    I have been to slovienia and found this amazing place where you can stay and have a lot of contests.

    https://erasmus-home.com/en/

    And when you get married you will reevaluate the "groups of death" as well
    Great to know that I was creating new Shopify site and that came up recently. Does eny freelancer play in dark mode web side spheres or a site for group meet like SWC poker?

  20. #140

    Default

    I don't see big differences if France has Embiid or not. France is historically using non-French players.
    As always, in predictions there are always many patriot-fanatics who see Lithuania and Turkey on the top and as always we will see Lithuania and Turkey not winning.
    Lithuania is far from the top for years now and probably will never be back to its historical third places (2003 was some random thing), Turkey can lead with clubs where foreigners are allowed. Since only one naturalized player is allowed and since Yugoslav wars are over for years, Turkey will lose as always in the 1st round or the knock-out phase.

    Spain, Serbia, Slovenia and France. These will be semifinalists. Others could easily stay at home.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •