2023 Asian Games Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 Asian Games Basketball

This is an interesting tournament given that we can field our "ineligible" players.

I also hope we send a proper 3x3 team this time.
    GILAS WISHLIST:
    6'8 Pingris

Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    This is an interesting tournament given that we can field our "ineligible" players.

I also hope we send a proper 3x3 team this time.
    We can have a very deadly team. If we allow the ff:

1. All or Most are available

2. We can eat our pride. And accept that there will be more fil foreign than homegrown in the lineup.

3. We are able to at least a 1 month prep. (Even with the conflict scheds)

Comment

Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
      We can have a very deadly team. If we allow the ff:

1. All or Most are available

2. We can eat our pride. And accept that there will be more fil foreign than homegrown in the lineup.

3. We are able to at least a 1 month prep. (Even with the conflict scheds)
      If I were SBP, I will try to recruit both Clarkson and Green then get Martin and enlist Kouame.

Clarkson
      Green
      Martin
      Harper Jr
      Kouame
      Parks Jr
      Dwight
      Tuffin
      Baltazar
      Kai
      Tamayo
      Kiefer

That's a freaking medal contender in Asian Games.
      Attack
      defend
      Unite

Comment

Originally posted by robert0326
        Are we sure ineligibles can play in 2022? Remember China is the host for this edition of Asian Games.. Host can change the rules that will favor to them.. China doesn't like to have that FIBA ineligible because it will not favor to their side, and China are notorious on that.. China almost lose to us last 2018 Asiad with almost 3/4 of our line up are ineligibles and w/o proper practice altogether... And same as 2014, when Blatche didn't allowed to play in that tournament, China will try all of their cards to disallows the likes of Clarkson to play, so that they have a chance to retain their title to them.. Aside that they are the champs, They are also the host and basketball is one of China's national pride, pastime and i think the most popular sport in China.. If they lose on their home soil, that will be a disgrace to their side.. So that expect the changes of eligibility rules in Asiad because host has privilege to do that...
        Rules are enacted by the OCA, not China. They are simply the hosts.

Until the OCA says so, we can field our other Fil-Foreigners with residency and passport being the only requirements.
        Last edited by interxavierxxx; 01-15-2022, 11:53 AM.
        GILAS WISHLIST:
        6'8 Pingris

Comment

But still China is the host... they can manipulate anything.. They are powerful nation, They can change the rules even that OCA can't disagree to them.. Realtalk, Do you think China will like the idea of having likes of Clarkson facing against them? Cmon!! From political arena to sports, China bullies everything.. Everything they want, they prevail.. Accept the reality that China will not like that idea of having all ineligibles can play in Asian Games.. Maybe in 2026 when Japan will be the host.. But China? Cmon!!! You know that.. Chinese national and most popular sport right now is Basketball, And they are the host.... They will do everything that they will retain that Gold medal again to them in front of their home crowd...
          How about you calm down and let the OCA make an official announcement? You're being neurotic.

You're forgetting one aspect of Clarkson and Green being in the Asian Games: ratings.

If anything, China is easily swayed by money.

If China was going to tamper with the games, it will be during an actual game like back in the 2015 FIBA Asia Championship finals.
          GILAS WISHLIST:
          6'8 Pingris

Comment

Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
            How about you calm down and let the OCA make an official announcement? You're being neurotic.

You're forgetting one aspect of Clarkson and Green being in the Asian Games: ratings.

If anything, China is easily swayed by money.

If China was going to tamper with the games, it will be during an actual game like back in the 2015 FIBA Asia Championship finals.
            Jordan Clarkson was a celebrity in 2018 Asian Games. Many wanted to take pictures with him, even athletes from other countries. Imagine, he and Jalen Green playing Asiad - that's two legit NBA players. When I say legit, those players have major roles for their respective teams. Clarkson is the sixth man of Utah Jazz while Jalen Green is a starter in Houston Rockets.
            Last edited by ja.he; 01-16-2022, 03:35 AM.
            Attack
            defend
            Unite

Comment

SEAG and Asiad are under OCA rules right? But why in 2017 SEAG, Malaysia (the host) didn't allow ineligibles to play and use FIBA rules (The reason why Vietnam can't use Dierker and Young that time), same also as 2015 SEAG in Singapore.. while last 2014 Asiad in Korea (When Blatche, Davis didn't allowed to play due to residency) they use 3 year residency rule to be allowed to play... So it means OCA rules will depend on host country on what rules they want it to use..
              Asian Games is under OCA. What has been used in 2010, 2014 and 2018 will be used in this year's Asiad. Even China can't change that rule. Residency (for naturalized) and passport (for locals) are the requirements. You see why we were able to field Sol Mercado (2010), why we were not able to have Blatche (residency) and why we were able to field CStan, Pringle, Ahanmisi and Clarkson in 2018 (PH passport). Asiad is outside FIBA jurisdiction. SEAG is a different sports event from Asiad.
              Last edited by ja.he; 01-18-2022, 10:45 AM.
              Attack
              defend
              Unite

Comment

Well, i'm just realistic and I already know Chinese backdoor movement since from the past.. If they allow them then good for us... But i see it impossible... China has pride and they don't care even if Clarkson is a celebrity status.. China can still profit even w/o the guys likes of Clarkson because Chinese basketball always marketable due to basketball popularity in the country..
                2. Competitors will be eligible if they comply with the following qualifications:

a. That they were born in the country they represent;

b. That they are nationals or citizens of the country they represent and have lived there continuously for a period of not less than three years;

c. That they have become naturalised in the country they represent and have permanent residence there.

3. Competitors born outside Asia cannot be qualified unless they meet conditions in 2 b & c, where applicable.
                https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...IxGGwyH24guEzP

The rules are straightforward. Any changes to those rules can only be done by the OCA. If China was going to interfere, they would try to do it in the midst of the tournament.

Just look at 2018 AG. Clarkson didn't meet the 3-year residency rule yet he still played because he already has a passport through his mother's lineage--not a naturalized citizen. There will always be loopholes but rules are rules.
                GILAS WISHLIST:
                6'8 Pingris

Comment

I would love to see Munzon. Malonzo and Brickman join the team.

Comment

I think you guys are forgetting one important detail for this year's Asian Games. It's scheduled in September. Too close to the start of the 2022/23 NBA season. Pero i hope that the Jazz and Rockets would still allow Clarkson and Green to play in this tournament, although it's wishful thinking for me at this point.

Comment

My line-up prediction (I hope I'm wrong on most of these and SBP can send the best possible line-up for gold medal contention)

PHL NT line-up (if FIBA Hagop rule is imposed and PBA decides to lend players):

Bigs: Kouame (NP), Chiu, Japeth, Tamayo, Baltazar
                      Wings: Oftana, Navarro, Perez, Pogoy
                      Guards: Bolick (if decides to stay in the PBA), Romeo, anyone between SJ or RJ
                      Coach: Tab Baldwin

If Hagop rule will not be imposed:

Bigs: Kouame (NP), Chiu, Japeth, Tamayo, Baltazar
                      Wings: Oftana, Navarro, Perez, Malonzo
                      Guards: Bolick (if decides to stay in the PBA), Romeo, Mikey Williams
                      Coach: Tab Baldwin

If Hagop rule is imposed, PBA doesn't lend its players, and collegiate leagues revert back to September-December schedule (probably the worst possible scenario):

Bigs: Baltazar, Go, Rangel
                      Wings: Navarro, Suerte, Mike Nieto, Tungcab, Bulanadi
                      Guards: Matt Nieto, Heading, Bulanadi, Brickman (NP, if he doesn't join the 2022 PBA draft)
                      Coach: One of Tab's assistants not tied to UAAP or PBA

Comment

2022 Asian Games has been cancelled. It will be rescheduled to 2023.

The Asian Games 2022 have been postponed to 2023 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The Asiad was to be held in Hangzhou, China from September 10 to 25.

Comment

Hope that re-sched it before 2023 WC... that's a good preparation wise going into the WC...

If its too close or right after,Gilas will not send a top notch team.This will be bad for other sports,specially athletics same year as the World Championships the top Asians in track and field might not go.

Comment

between May or June is the good re-schedule for Asiad because most of the tournaments are held July up to February... Same as Vietnam did in re-scheduling SEAG this year....

The 2023 SEA GAMES in Cambodia will be held in May 5-16,not much of a turn around time,it has to be in either August or September,rest time for the NBA too. The 2023 World Athletics Championships will be held in August 19 to August 27.I won't lose sleep if the Chinese Asian Games comes out a failiure,both in attendance of crowds,players and financially.

Comment

Re up the thread..
                              Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information