New Lithuanian Super Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Lithuanian Super Club

So G. Ziemelis confirms that new club will take place. Quite historical moment. He says it will be a club with big ambitions. Should be EL club eventually, cause it wouldn't make any other sense. Maybe Eurocup at first, but long term it should be EL if Ziemelis really want to bring Vilnius' people into arena. Can't wait how the club will look and how many quality Lithuanians he will be able to get home. We need fresh waters in Lithuanian club basketball!
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Must be that NBA club he promised us
    The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

If he wants his new project to be successful, he needs to get his team hyped in the first place. The best way to do it, to have strong Lithuanians. From veterans I would consider Kuzminskas (native Vilnius guy) as his value is not going up. I remember he mentioned Kulboka in one of interviews. Surely Sirvydis should be into radar absolutely as native Vilnius dude. Velicka comes to my mind as well, as Zalgiris continues to ignore him. I think if this new club wants to be different quality wise than Rytas, it should go for those best Lithuanians who have EL upside. Dovydas Giedraitis is from Vilnius (if he will continue to improve). With all respect to Kariniauskas, Margiris, Radzevicius...that's not exactly the breed...IMO, Ziemelis will try to imitate Zalgiris model 6 Liths + 6 foreigners.

Looking deeper into like 5 years picture, Ziemelis should have ambitions to gather all best Vilnius' dudes, just like P-Mo tries to attract Kaunas guys. So actually all Blazevic, Sirvydis, Tubelis, Marciulionis should be into radar, specially if he has serious ambitions to establish Eurocup contender/EL material club. Then Kasparas Jakociunis is a great PG prospect from Vilnius (even if I think he might be good enough to stay in senior Barsa team eventually). This club needs to attract elite young Lithuanians, like Zalgiris had Jokubaitis...

Also if I was GM of new Vilnius' club, I would be looking to NCAA market so hard. There's tons of very interesting Vilnius' dudes. Like 18yo PG Vakaris Grauslys, and 6'9 guard Lukas Gudavicius.

Vilnius has a lot of talent that shouldn't be overlooked. And f.e. where will Simas Lukosius play after NCAA campaign? He's not NBA prospect, but, IMO, has everything to be a solid EL player. He's from Kaunas, but he's like cosmopolitan so it's up to initiative. Or really good prospect (Illinois offer) as Nojus Indrusaitis.

My strategy would be to work a lot on Lithuanian core. Few huge young prospects and as many established names as possible.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
        ...IMO, Ziemelis will try to imitate Zalgiris model 6 Liths + 6 foreigners.
        Rytas already does that. If he wants to differentiate his club from Rytas and cut into Rytas' fanbase, Gediminas Žiemelis will need a different approach even if it only constitutes a slight refinement to what Rytas has been doing.

Looking deeper into like 5 years picture, Ziemelis should have ambitions to gather all best Vilnius' dudes, just like P-Mo tries to attract Kaunas guys.... Vilnius has a lot of talent that shouldn't be overlooked.
        That would be one good refinement of Rytas' strategy right there.

This club needs to attract elite young Lithuanians, like Zalgiris had Jokubaitis....
        Actually it makes no sense whatsoever for European basketball clubs to focus on youth. While a youth focus can often makes sense for North American sports clubs, in Europe it's musical chairs when it comes to rosters so basically player development all too frequently ends up being for the benefit of a competing club. And your example of Rokas Jokubaitis is a splendid case in point.

If Žiemelis opens up his purse springs, he should instead concentrate on the best players of whatever age he can afford with a Lithuanian/Vilnius base for marketing purposes.

And hopefully he ends up naming the team something good such a Vilkai(Wolves) or Sakalai(Falcons) since there's a historic connection to Vilnius in both cases. And no, I don't like Statyba. A team named after the Soviet-era construction trade is at best boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
          Actually it makes no sense whatsoever for European basketball clubs to focus on youth. While a youth focus can often makes sense for North American sports clubs, in Europe it's musical chairs when it comes to rosters so basically player development all too frequently ends up being for the benefit of a competing club. And your example of Rokas Jokubaitis is a splendid case in point.

If Žiemelis opens up his purse springs, he should instead concentrate on the best players of whatever age he can afford with a Lithuanian/Vilnius base for marketing purposes.

And hopefully he ends up naming the team something good such a Vilkai(Wolves) or Sakalai(Falcons) since there's a historic connection to Vilnius in both cases. And no, I don't like Statyba. A team named after the Soviet-era construction trade is at best boring.

I wasn't referring to the age, I simply stated last elite Lithuanian piece that Zalgiris had who in mine (and many others) case was that X factor why I tuned on Zalgiris games with extra motivation. I'm all OK bringing back JV to Vilnius if Ziemelis is capable to match his upcoming contract

I guess Vilniaus Zalgiris won't do it either for few reasons, LOL

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Kaukenas as President of new club. I wonder what that means, like executive/GM? I love Kaukenas, great guy, noble personality etc. But if Ziemelis thinks Kaukenas will be selecting players as Saras can do it, I think the disappointment coming. But maybe that's not his job.

Anyway, I seems there will be some sort of a club in 2022/2023 season and they want to play at highest level in Europe eventually.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Anyway, I seems there will be some sort of a club in 2022/2023 season and they want to play at highest level in Europe eventually.
              But where will this club play initially? The NKL? Has the club already gained entry for the 2022-23 season?

Comment

But where will this club play initially? The NKL? Has the club already gained entry for the 2022-23 season?

LKL and maybe even Eurocup (the rumor). It will, there are legal ways, like 500k or something.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Ahhhhh of course, 500k to grease the palms of the executives of these leagues to waive existing entry rules.

Last edited by Hepcat; 02-03-2022, 12:03 AM.

Comment

The rumor is that first season it might be 5mil budget team. So more or less like Zalgiris (?). It might be a turning point of sort of dead for about 10 years Lithuanian club BB.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Vilnius Vilkai(Wolves) or Vanagai(Hawks) would be good.

Comment

Vilnius Vilkai(Wolves) or Vanagai(Hawks) would be good.

Vilnius "Re-Castle"? Or Vilnius "Falling Castle"?

How hawks relates?

Vilnius "Saint Christopher"? Vilnius "Basilisk" (Lithuanian version of "Raptors" )?

I would consider something like Vilnius "Baltic Giants", it would relate their ambitions to be big. On other hand, they say they want to create international community, VIlnius "Internationals" would sound cool to me Basically Vilnius is the city of nobody. It was always highly international in a way. Would be cool if people would come from all East Northern Europe to support it. This new team should be progressive as alternative to conservative and archaic Zalgiris

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

How hawks relates?
                          The alliteration. Plus hawks are very closely related to falcons and Vilnius had the Sakalai(Falcons) team for many years.

Last edited by Hepcat; 02-15-2022, 04:15 PM.

Comment

The rumor is that first season it might be 5mil budget team. So more or less like Zalgiris (?).
                            The French newspaper L'Equipe's estimate for the 2019-20 budget of Žalgiris was 11.9MM euros:

EuroLeague Team 2019-20 Budgets - L’Equipe

How would the budget of Rytas compare to that of Žalgiris?

Comment

The French newspaper L'Equipe's estimate for the 2019-20 budget of Žalgiris was 11.9MM euros:

EuroLeague Team 2019-20 Budgets - L’Equipe

How would the budget of Rytas compare to that of Žalgiris?

Yeah, Zalgiris' budget this season is around 10mil. 7mil goes to players salaries. I heard the latter fact somewhere before and thought this is the total budget.

If I'm not wrong Rytas budget is about 3mil. So if Ziemelis new team will start with 5mil, they should rather comfortably exceed Rytas talent wise (if they will sign players competently which is big question off course).

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information