Philippine Movies/Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philippine Movies/Series

Philippine movies and series have received plenty of criticism. That's especially true in this MMFF (which happens pretty much every year due to "garbage" entries).

So how might we be able to revitalize this scene? How will we Filipinos maintain interest, while at the same time not compromising quality?

Originally posted by astigram04
    Nah i don't see the comparison. when it comes to what i watch, i just watch based on my own preference. Just like food, eat what suits your taste. Not a question of what's better.
    Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    I can understand where the hate is coming from. Everyone else would have seen the movie by now except Pinoy fans. Now those Pinoy fans would air their frustrations on Pinoy films. They should have allowed foreign films to be shown alongside the MMFF entries. I mean if the movies are good and interesting people would watch it along with NWH.
    Originally posted by zairex View Post
    Its like picking a malay race vs african race with same skills set. You will pick African because of inherent advantage on athleticism.

Hollywood have the budget, production, marketing and hype. If General Luna/Jose Rizal vs Spiderman NWH, what will you watch for your family.
    Originally posted by IPC View Post
    For myself, I'll take Luna. It's actually my favorite local movie. Apart from having an interest (and a degree) in history, I happen to like the time period, and military history, and I actually did two papers on said period. I happen to like the humor as well. That said, in general, I watch more Western movies and series, overwhelmingly. I love Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and heck, even Marvel movies.

I think astigram does have a point. When it comes to art (film, music, fine arts, literature), it's a matter of taste, not just quality.

That said, we have good movies. Kulang lang talaga sa hype, since most of the budget has been used for making the movie itself. That's true especially if the movie's not a romance movie or some comedy.
    Personally, I'm kinda hoping for another good war movie like Luna. Or make it into a telenovela. Our history is so colorful. We could tell numerous stories. Like what happened to the other areas during the 1896 Revolution/Philippine-American War, or the day-to-day of the Battle of Bataan and Corregidor.

We could even make period dramas of the time. Our writers just need to be given creative freedom (in terms of time of cours, not so much historical accuracy). Plus, we'll need to hype it up.

Comment

Personally, I'm kinda hoping for another good war movie like Luna. Or make it into a telenovela. Our history is so colorful. We could tell numerous stories. Like what happened to the other areas during the 1896 Revolution/Philippine-American War, or the day-to-day of the Battle of Bataan and Corregidor.

We could even make period dramas of the time. Our writers just need to be given creative freedom (in terms of time of cours, not so much historical accuracy). Plus, we'll need to hype it up.
      For me, I'd like to see a sequel (whether directly or indirectly) related to Goyo. As has been told on some circles, it definitely has the potential to be our own "MCU". The ending it had could pave way for more period pieces telling stories based on what's not too mainstream or were not brushed up on the history books during my formative years in the early 2000's.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodbi View Post
        For me, I'd like to see a sequel (whether directly or indirectly) related to Goyo. The ending it had could pave way for more period pieces telling stories based on what's not too mainstream or were not brushed upon the history books during my formative years in the early 2000's.
        The Luna and Goyo thingy was actually planned to be a trilogy, if I remember correctly. Quezon was the third personality to be tackled.

We could also look at the lives of ordinary people during the period (Spanish, American, Japanese). Social history (or history from below) ain't that mainstream. I'd prefer if romance is not the main overriding theme, although I'd be cool if the show turns out to be quality.

We will need historical experts for these kinds of shows. Call me crazy, but I actually want to be a show consultant some time, or maybe a show writer. You know, just to make sure that the show is historically accurate. Well, when I'm not that busy practicing law after I get my law degree. Hehehehehe.

Comment

The Luna and Goyo thingy was actually planned to be a trilogy, if I remember correctly. Quezon was the third personality to be tackled.

We could also look at the lives of ordinary people during the period (Spanish, American, Japanese). Social history (or history from below) ain't that mainstream. I'd prefer if romance is not the main overriding theme, although I'd be cool if the show turns out to be quality.

We will need historical experts for these kinds of shows. Call me crazy, but I actually want to be a show consultant some time, or maybe a show writer. You know, just to make sure that the show is historically accurate. Well, when I'm not that busy practicing law after I get my law degree. Hehehehehe.
          Yeah, I guess the second movie's underwhelming results at the box office (Goyo is not as flamboyant as Luna) was what mainly caused for plans for the 3rd movie to be shelved. It's a shame tbh, it could have spawned more than one follow-up.

I haven't seen the Quezon movie yet but I remember critics raving about how good it was, and that it somehow solidified Raymond Bagatsing's reputation as a very respectable actor in Philippine cinema. I guess I'll check that one out.

For movies/shows based on social history, I like Dekada '70 (2002) the most. I always tune in whenever that movie's on cable. I wish those Filipino producers would make more movies/shows with themes and quality similar to that film, only that it needs to tell history on all angles, unfiltered. I'd also prefer them to use every major event of every decade after the WWII as plot for the show with fictional characters as main protagonists.

As for your aspirations, that's great bro, you should pursue it. The world will always be in need of more people in your line of profession to verify and validate the authenticity of anything history-based that is/would be shown in the media.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodbi View Post
            Yeah, I guess the second movie's underwhelming results at the box office (Goyo is not as flamboyant as Luna) was what mainly caused for plans for the 3rd movie to be shelved. It's a shame tbh, it could have spawned more than one follow-up.

I haven't seen the Quezon movie yet but I remember critics raving about how good it was, and that it somehow solidified Raymond Bagatsing's reputation as a very respectable actor in Philippine cinema. I guess I'll check that one out.

For movies/shows based on social history, I like Dekada '70 (2002) the most. I always tune in whenever that movie's on cable. I wish those Filipino producers would make more movies/shows with themes and quality similar to that film, only that it needs to tell history on all angles, unfiltered. I'd also prefer them to use every major event of every decade after the WWII as plot for the show with fictional characters as main protagonists.

As for your aspirations, that's great bro, you should pursue it. The world will always be in need of more people in your line of profession to verify and validate the authenticity of anything history-based that is/would be shown in the media.
            Shame for Tarog's Quezon movie, considering that he had already finished the script, or at least the draft. Could have been interesting to see the workings of his government in preparing for, and during WWII.

As for my aspirations, hope that may be fulfilled. It would be nice to work on historical dramas or movies. And, yeah, you had a point, our history can be sort of an MCU for us in terms of filmmaking volume. Especially if it's any period up to WWII. Personally, I'd prefer if it's Spanish period, or the 1896-1907 period. Pre-Hispanic period can be good too.

Comment

Now Manila Bulletin has an article calling GMA's new lineup of series 'world-class': https://mb.com.ph/2022/01/10/gma-net...anew-for-2022/

I dunno. Honestly, it's been a while since I last enjoyed a GMA show, and that GMA show is Pepito Manaloto. It was good, honestly. I hope to watch more sitcoms like that as well.

Comment

I love watching Filipino movies like Gandara and a lot more movies of vice ganda smovies.me/

Comment

Originally posted by CoJ View Post

IPC i think this movie based on RP history best explain SBP’s 2023 World Cup, its a clusterf*ck and i hope it doesnt get shown in the Philippines.

IMG_5791.jpg
                  I didn't even bother to know the plot. Luna and Goyo were at least well-researched.

This one, casting pa lang, it's already bad. What more the actual historical narrative? Although to be fair, history can refer to both the facts and the narratives.
                  Originally posted by CoJ View Post
                  no different from SBP and 2023 gilas, roster choices and coaching staff selection.

anyeay who in their right mind would cast danny trejo as magellan and bea alonzo (half brit) as a malay princess.
                  To be fair, there were binukots back then. They were daughters of "nobility" that typically had fairer skin due to non-exposure to sunlight (so fairer skin was desired, even then). But yeah, casting a half-Brit as an indio princess. Really? And Magellan was white, he was Portuguese. That's like casting a black to portray Cleopatra (who was a Greek born of centuries of incest among the Ptolemaic kings).

Comment

Philippine movies and series have received plenty of criticism. That's especially true in this MMFF (which happens pretty much every year due to "garbage" entries).

So how might we be able to revitalize this scene? How will we Filipinos maintain interest, while at the same time not compromising quality?
                    Hi,
                    Revitalizing the Philippine movie and series scene requires a multi-pronged approach. First, we need to support and encourage fresh talent and original storytelling. Film schools and industry partnerships can foster innovation. Second, promoting cultural diversity and heritage in narratives can pique interest. Collaboration with international creators can bring fresh perspectives. Third, investing in technology and production quality is crucial. Lastly, audience feedback should be valued, and industry stakeholders should actively listen to criticism for continuous improvement. Balancing commercial success with artistic integrity is the key. Ultimately, a vibrant industry emerges from nurturing creativity and catering to diverse tastes.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I agree that Philippine movies and series have been criticized a lot, but I also think that there are some gems that deserve recognition and appreciation. I enjoy watching different genres and stories on fmovies, and I appreciate the efforts of the filmmakers to entertain and educate us. I think we can revitalize the scene by being more open-minded and supportive of our local films and series, and by giving constructive feedback to help them improve. I also think that the MMFF should be more transparent and fair in its criteria and process of choosing the entries.

Comment

You can visit bollyflix in to see full the latest things about the movie

Comment

It's crucial to prioritize diverse storytelling, invest in talented writers, and encourage innovation. Engaging narratives that resonate with the audience, combined with higher production standards, can elevate Philippine cinema. Encouraging collaboration and fresh perspectives can bring about the change needed to revitalize the industry.

Comment

I'm currently working on a project related, and the resources linked in this post have been instrumental in my research. Thanks for curating such a helpful list!
                            TunesKit Screen Recorder With Registration Code 2024

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information