What's the real score? real measurements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the real score? real measurements

Its a practice in the nba to add an inch or two to a player to be able to fill in gaps in their line up. Its a practice now a days here in tha philippines. for example danny ildefonso he's not 6'5 not even close if you look closely you'll see that his height range only from 6'2 1/2 to 6'3. he should be playing guard not center. This maybe the cause why he is often injured. And changing his game would be a waste of time mainly because the guy is programmed to be a center.

mad handle

Asi is another victim of this bad practice. asi is 6'6 to 6'7 in a good day. James yap is 6'1 and not 6'3, Mark caguio is 5'10 3/4 to 5'11, Michael jordan was said to be measuring 6'6 including sir charles barkley but they both admitted that they are 6'4. can this additional measurement justify anything?

Comment

adding inches is more of a player marketing strategy...also, the advertised height is usually their height with shoes or an additional 1 1/2 or 2 inch from the measured height.
      SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

locally in Cebu, I saw Jan Malinao of the Jaguars in Robinsons Fuente earlier..He is listed as 6'3-6'4...comparing to Emel Rowe however, he looks really shorter so it's either Rowe could be taller at 6'6 or Malinao is actually just 6'1-6'2
        Philippine Basketball Review

Cebu Travel Blog

Team Building Services in Cebu

Comment

one case of height padding is jimmy alapag. he is listed at 5'10" but he's close to 5'7" but not taller than that.
          "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

take it with a grain of salt. everything i read regarding height i always meet with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Comment

If you want to know the real height of players, base it on the official PBA measurements.
              Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

Originally posted by rhk111
                If you want to know the real height of players, base it on the official PBA measurements.
                yeah the ones they use in the drafts, I recall Yancy De Ocampo mentioned that he's only 6'8.
                you know why I am happy

Comment

Originally posted by rhk111
                  if you check the lineups of the teams in the PBA website today, they included the heights of the players. some people still won't agree with what are posted in there.
                  "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by ankle breaker
                    if you check the lineups of the teams in the PBA website today, they included the heights of the players. some people still won't agree with what are posted in there.
                    http://www.pba.ph/index.php?option=c...rsList&Itemid=
                    i'm one of those who don't agree with what is written there. sotto 6'8?? eman 6'9?? eman just recently got drafted and it's still so fresh in my memory that he was measured at only 6'8. now if he is 6'8 then sotto definitely is not. asi 6'9?? no way, he is way shorter than aquino who is also listed as 6'9.
                    these are just a few examples

Comment

Originally posted by kontiki
                      i'm one of those who don't agree with what is written there. sotto 6'8?? eman 6'9?? eman just recently got drafted and it's still so fresh in my memory that he was measured at only 6'8. now if he is 6'8 then sotto definitely is not. asi 6'9?? no way, he is way shorter than aquino who is also listed as 6'9.
                      these are just a few examples

Ervin Sotto was measured at 6'5" in the 2004 PBA Draft Camp

Asi Taulava is probably closer to 6'7 3/4 than his listed height of 6'10"

Rich Alvarez is 6'2.5"
                      James Yap is 6'1.5"
                      Arwind Santos is 6'2.5"
                      Kelly Williams is 6'4.25"
                      Ryan Reyes is 6'1"
                      JC Intal is 6'3"
                      KG Canaleta is 6'4"
                      Marvin Cruz is 5'7.5"
                      Last edited by Lebron23; 07-27-2008, 09:11 PM.

Comment

is taulava as tall as thoss? taulava looks taller than sonny thoss who i believe is also measured at 6'7.75 i think when he was drafted. ( correct me if im wrong)

although i give taulava a 6'7 6'8 too, coz comparing taulava to the other centers at the FIBA tournaments, he looks significantly shorter than the others who are listed 6'8 6'9 players.

is that kelly williams measurement accurate??
                        damn! its really dissappointing to see our players get even shorter!

i always saw kelly williams as a legitimate 6'5" and close to 6'6", the other thing is that he towers over several players listed at 6'6" such as Allado, Adducul, ildefonso, etc.

i used believe that these other 6'6 listed players were 6'4" legitimately, but if youre saying that williams is 6'4.25 then that makes these guys shorter than 6'4!!! this is really heart breaking.!

here are estimates that i have of some PBA bigmen..

ej feihl 6'11 (or a little bit more; he also didnt look that much taller than bateer mengke who i believe is 6'10)
                        marlou aquino 6'9" ( i believe he is a legitimate 6'9 player)
                        eman samigue 6'8" (this is really heart breaking! although i havent seen aquino and eman together so i dont know but before eman was measured officially i wouldve thought he was 6'9 legit!)
                        andy seigle 6'8" ( he looks significantly shorter than marlou aquino)
                        yancy de ocampo 6'7.8 ( he is also shorter than most 6'9" players and not as tall as eman samigue, i think)
                        mick pennisi 6'7.8
                        bonel balingit 6'7.8
                        asi taulava 6'7.75 ( he really looks shorter than mick)
                        sonny thoss 6'7.5 ( i dont remember how tall he really was when he was drafted and measured but he also looks shorter than taulava)
                        ervin sotto 6'7 (is he really 6'5?!?! im giving him 6'6 minimum)
                        jayr reyes 6'7
                        dennis espino 6'6 ( he was listed at 6'8 and 6'7, so i dont think they would list anyone 3inches taller)
                        danny seigle 6'6 ( i believe danny is legit 6'6 as he looked really taller than the others who are listed at 6'6)
                        joe devance 6'6
                        jay washington 6'6
                        dorian Pena 6'5
                        kelly williams 6'5 ( i know lebron just said he is 6'4.25 but somehow i am in denial)
                        eric menk 6'4
                        gabe norwood 6'4
                        don allado 6'4
                        rommel adducul 6'4
                        danny ildefonso 6'4
                        zaldy realubit 6'4
                        nic belasco 6'4
                        benji paras 6'3
                        enrico villanueva 6'3
                        arwind santos 6'3 ( rico maierhoffer was initially listed at 6'3)
                        nino canaleta 6'3
                        rudy hatfield 6'3 (could be even 6'2)
                        ali peek 6'2

This is really heartbreaking, as i thought their initial listed height were their legit height or at least closer. i realized this by comparing the pba players with imports that had to comply with their height limits.

Comment

Here is a summary of the OFFICIAL PBA MEASUREMENTS of players, & that is:

- Eman Samigue, 6'8"
                          - Joe Devance, 6'7 3/4"
                          - Sonny Thoss, 6'7 3/5"
                          - Alex Compton, 5'10 1/2"
                          - Doug Kramer, 6’4 1/2"
                          - Ryan Arana, 6’1"
                          - Francis Barcellano, 6’5"
                          - Yousif Aljamal Jr., 6’2"
                          - Macky Escalona 5’9"
                          - Jonas Villanueva, 5’11"
                          - Jojo Duncil, 6’0"
                          - Ken Bono, 6’4 1/4"
                          - JC Intal, 6’3"
                          - Marvin Cruz, 5’7 1/2"
                          - Joseph Quinahan, 6’3 1/4"
                          - Ryan Reyes, 6’1"
                          - Ron Jason Buenafe, 6’0"
                          - Anthony Washington, 6'5 1/2"
                          - Dennis Rodriguez, 5'5"
                          - Don Yabut, 6'7"
                          - Cyril Santiago, 6'2 1/2"
                          Last edited by rhk111; 02-15-2008, 11:14 PM.
                          Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

PBA Import Measurement Last Conference

San Miguel is the only team, which has yet to name its import. James Penny is returning to play for Red Bull, Marquinn Chandler for Purefoods, Shawn Daniels for Air21 and Rossel Ellis for Alaska Milk. Newcomers are J.J. Sullinger for TNT, Kris Smith for Sta. Lucia, Anthony Johnson for Coca-Cola, Charles Clark for Welcoat and Rod Nealy for Ginebra.

Meanwhile, six imports attended a briefing and official measurement at the PBA office yesterday. Shawn Daniels was measured at 6-5 7/16, Anthony Johnson 6-5 1/16, Sullinger 6-4 5/16, Charles Clark 6-5 and James Penny 6-5 7/16. Welcoat special import Alex Compton was measured at 5-10 1/2.

Whitney, a native of Chicago who is listed as a 6-foot-8, 240-pound center-forward, played for Seton Hall for three years and normed 15.2 points and 7.9 rebounds.

He last played for the Pirates in the 2005-06 campaign then tried out with the New York Knicks, New Jersey Nets, Seattle SuperSonics, Detroit Pistons and the Miami Heat.

2007 PBA Pre Draft Camp Measurement ( with out shoes)

Joe De Vance - 6’7 3/4 (Toyota Otis), Doug Kramer - 6’4 1/2 (Cebuana Lhuillier), Ryan Arana 6’1 (Harbour Centre), Samigue Eman 6’8 (Henkel Sista), Francis Barcellano 6’5 (Magnolia), Yousif Aljamal Jr. 6’2 (Magnolia/ San Beda College), Macky Escalona 5’9 (Cebuana Lhuillier/Ateneo), Jonas Villanueva 5’11 (Magnolia/ FEU), Jojo Duncil 6’0 (Harbour Centre/UST), Ken Bono 6’4 1/4 (Cebuana/Adamson), JC Intal 6’3 (Harbour Centre/Ateneo). Marvin Cruz 5’7 1/2 (Toyota Otis/UP Maroons), Joseph Quinahan 6’3 1/4 (PBL/University of Visayas), Ryan Reyes 6’1 (PBL/NBC) at Ron Jason Buenafe 6’0 (PBL/NBC).

Other PBA Imports that are measured barefeet

SAN Miguel Beer import Kelly Whitney was ruled ineligible to play in the PBA Fiesta Cup yesterday when the 200-pound forward from Chicago was measured to be 7/16 of an inch over the allowed height limit of 6-foot-6.

Aside from Whitney, the other imports measured yesterday were Alaska import Rosell Ellis and Rod Nealy of Ginebra. Ellis officially stood at 6-foot-4 ¾" while Nealy was measured at 6-foot-4 7/8".

Rosell Ellis , 6'4 3/4"
                            Rod Nealy, 6'4 7/8"
                            Kelly Whitney , 6'6 7/16"

Lenny Cooke, 6' 5 1/4 ( 2002 NBA Draft Measurement)

Art Long , 6'7 3/4" ( 1996 NBA Pre Draft Measurement)

Jameel Watkins, 6'9 1/2" ( 2000 NBA Pre Draft Measurement)

Chris Porter
                            , 6-5 1/2( 2000 NBA pre Draft Measurement)

Rashad Wright, 6'0.5" ( Lebanese Import), self proclaimed rival of Mark Caguioa in the 2007 FIBA Asian Championship.

2006 NBA Pre Draft Camp Measurements Player Height w/o Shoes Height with Shoes Weight Wingspan...

Steve Nash, 6'1" ( 1996 NBA Pre Draft Measurement)

Tony Harris, 6'1" ( former Swift, Sunkist Import)

Bobby Parks , 6'3" ( Listed at 6-5 in the US NCAA)
                            Last edited by Lebron23; 02-03-2009, 01:43 PM.

Comment

mad handle

i could let jimmy be 5'10 any he plays like a giant with his big heart. allado is about 6'4. his butt is bigger than his game. Marlou is more like 6'10-6'11 kind alike Garnett he never change his height to 7'1 from 6'11 coz he never like playing the center position and likes the small forward slot. But what do you know he plays the center spot with boston.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information