Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Euroleague Regular Season: Week 4

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    I just took look on stat and interesting Efes had better PIR 87:75, and Larkin with 9 rbs was the best rebounder in both teams Strange game

Beside Milan game, I watched CSKA-CZ match and must say that Wolters is great signing for Zvezda. Knowing that pg market is very poor, he is great pick.
    Walters is great. Maccabi should never let him go. His only problem is injuries.
    Yalla Maccabi!!!

Save English, ban macabeo....

Quote Originally Posted by thegreekmeister View Post
    Actually domestic players are almost always more expensive than same quality anericans for example. They command higher salaries because teams need them just becayse they are local. This is not mentioning higher taxes for local players.

Local players are only better for team spirit, but not for skills.
    Agree 100%.Even though I have high hopes for Ziv and Sorkin as season goes on. I never liked DiBa, he undersized and I am happy that Sfairopolous stopped using him, hopefully he will play in league in SG position, he is not a point guard by any means.
    Yalla Maccabi!!!

Save English, ban macabeo....

Elie Okobo with a little work and in a good organization system I think he can be dominant in the future.......

The same for Danto Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by zubitos View Post
    Elie Okobo with a little work and in a good organization system I think he can be dominant in the future.......

The same for Danto Hall.
    Surprising qualities for their years, very mature, good understanding of play. Making decisions show their lack of experience. I think Asvel is good club for him now, without highest ambitions, with pg scorer, he can give what no one give, without highlighting their lacks by coach. He is not yet formed by feature. We don`t know what character is, he could be in best case like De Colo or Sloukas, in worst case he could be back up player for Euroleague clubs.

No team should be condemned yet because it is too early. Except perhaps Zalgiris, do they really think that Zdovc can be better compared to Schiller and solve their problems? Pure illusion. They should have trusted their coach, Zdovc is a 90's-00's (mediocre) trainer but now the calendar says 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    You are exaggerating. One or two big signings and cure of small injuries and its a top level team again.
    Which big signings do you have on mind? I mean, those kind of players don't grow on trees, especially now that most of them have already been employed. If you are thinking about players that are going to be cut from NBA teams, it's high probability that you are not getting game changers (if by big signings you mean game changers) as experience from past several years tells you that most of those end of the bench NBA players or G-league players don't do any significant difference at Euroleague level. It is what it is for Efes, and if they don't renew their energy and focus, it's not going to be pretty year for them.

@Janketa

Sanli is a fine role player. He thrived playing alongside three of the best ballhandlers in the league (Micic, Larkin and Simon), he profited heavily from their gravity, but he is not by any means a game changer. I'm not trying to diss Sanli, he is a good role player but nothing more than that. He has a skill as a floor spacer which came in handy for Micic and Larkin (even though 15 threes in more than 30 games isn't all that great) and a nice touch as a finesse finisher around the basket. With that being said, he is not a shot creator or a versatile shot maker, for that matter he is not even a good rebounder or rim protector. A fine role player in certain offensive schemes but replaceable. I'm not underrating him but also don't want to overrate him.

Which big signings do you have on mind? I mean, those kind of players don't grow on trees, especially now that most of them have already been employed. If you are thinking about players that are going to be cut from NBA teams, it's high probability that you are not getting game changers (if by big signings you mean game changers) as experience from past several years tells you that most of those end of the bench NBA players or G-league players don't do any significant difference at Euroleague level. It is what it is for Efes, and if they don't renew their energy and focus, it's not going to be pretty year for them.
    Well, Europe has a big drought but there will be chances to sign a contributing big. He doesnt have to be a game changer btw. He just has to be an anchor in defense (thats a must) and grab rebounds. If you have such a guy you can combine them very well with the existing bigs who are majorly contributing on the offensive end.

In any case Efes wont have a problem to get in to top 8, even with this roster if it will be 5-6-7 doesnt matter. Important is just to be ready during playoff time. Who would want to face Efes from second or third seed? But without a defensive big there wont be an acceptable chance to reach final four.

Thats the reason I am happy about their 0/4. Ataman and the GM Yilmaz must recognize the problem and 2/2 would have suggested that it will be enough. A loss or lets say bad game of Efes against FB in BSL on Monday and they will react swiftly. If its Tarik Black or Jahlil Okafor or someone else is not decisive.

Quote Originally Posted by Serbian_Layup View Post

Sanli is a fine role player. He thrived playing alongside three of the best ballhandlers in the league (Micic, Larkin and Simon), he profited heavily from their gravity, but he is not by any means a game changer. I'm not trying to diss Sanli, he is a good role player but nothing more than that. He has a skill as a floor spacer which came in handy for Micic and Larkin (even though 15 threes in more than 30 games isn't all that great) and a nice touch as a finesse finisher around the basket. With that being said, he is not a shot creator or a versatile shot maker, for that matter he is not even a good rebounder or rim protector. A fine role player in certain offensive schemes but replaceable. I'm not underrating him but also don't want to overrate him.
    Bolded part is essence what Efes lost without him. He is not game changer of course but with 3 game ballhandlers in the roster he was perfect around the rim and under basket. Efes doesn't have player now who can finish all those situation with high percentage like him. He is good ft shooter too, which is rarity for the center, not just regarding percentage, but under pressure. Remember 1/10 from Vesely in final game? That would never happen with Sanli

Which big signings do you have on mind?
    My opinion is they should go for Mike Tobey. Ideal guy for the roster with good ballhandlers. He is not EL player anymore and with buyout any team could bring him

If Efes do sign a player, who is most likely to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    If Efes do sign a player, who is most likely to leave?
    Potential candidates Moerman, Anderson and Pleiss

Looks like it could be an interesting next few days.

I don't think it will be Anderson... but anyway, i think everything's depend on how Simon's injury is serious. Somehow, some people say his career could end. I don't even understand when and how he get injured..?? As always no clear news on Efes side!

It's not about four games...Efes doesn't have the same mental focus they had last year. They can't repeat the same energy, focus or hunger from last year...motivation is not there, it's obvious. Sure, they are too good to struggle like this and they will probably get into series of wins soon enough, but that's not the same team from last couple of years and I think roster construction is the least of their problems right now.
    Whilst none of us can see inside the player's heads, it wouldn't surprise me if this assessment was correct. Some teams need something to chase to get the best out of them - the first Final Four spot, finishing top of the league, overcoming the perceived injustice of not being awarded the title when the season was cancelled by going all the way and winning the championship last season. The title is now won, any injustice settled and the point proven. To a team with a "chasing" mindset, there is nothing left to chase, which might be preventing the players giving that extra X% a team needs to win games. Last season may be as good as gets for this group of players.

That said, Efes does tend to start slowly then catch up the rest of the season so let's see. Maybe losing the first four games is just the motivation they need!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123